Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again?

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

Shock Defeat
Head Coach
Posts: 6,979
And1: 11,674
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#1 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:44 pm



I feel like in this social media age, any player that did this would get absolutely murdered and may never live this down. Especially any high profile player.
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 19,570
And1: 5,637
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#2 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Probably not but it isn't surprising he did. He has very mixed results when the stakes are highest.
:reporter: Moose23's burner account?
:reporter: Will the Raps board take him back?

truth18 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:Tldr? Thanks?

TLDR
**** most of my sub forum. We used to be tight here, I'd love to post here again on occasion like I used to.
Love your squad.
Going to the finals.
theforumblue
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,316
And1: 982
Joined: Feb 18, 2012

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#3 » by theforumblue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm

he was. he simply didn't let it drag him down mentally like nick anderson. granted, nick messed up on a much bigger stage.
Stan
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 90
Joined: Oct 11, 2019

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#4 » by Stan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 pm

It seems too random and specific a criteria to ever be duplicated. Sort of like this

User avatar
NPZ
Starter
Posts: 2,468
And1: 1,629
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
Location: ^^ Anthony Peeler over Benoit Benjamin, 92/93
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#5 » by NPZ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Yes and the victim will be James Harden. It will happen when the NBA resumes in July. He's gonna airball 4 treys AND miss 4 critical FTs like Nick Anderson.
Amare_1_Knicks
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,421
And1: 2,231
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#6 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Eh, I mean he was what? 18-19 at the time ? He went on to become one of the clutchest players of all time after that. From the players perspective, even in today’s game, if their mind is resilient enough they can overcome something like that also.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 102,480
And1: 52,981
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#7 » by Dupp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 pm

:lol:


No one has a more fabricated clutch image than Kobe
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
NPZ
Starter
Posts: 2,468
And1: 1,629
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
Location: ^^ Anthony Peeler over Benoit Benjamin, 92/93
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#8 » by NPZ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Dupp wrote::lol:


No one has a more fabricated clutch image than Kobe


Who is clutch today in your mind? And besides Mike or Bird (take them as givens), who was clutch to you in the 80s/90s? Gimme a few names for each, not gonna argue w/ your picks. Just wanna get a sense of what you consider legit clutch image vs Kobe's. I know Kobe missed a lot of clutch shots, but he made a lot. People don't consider the misses when they judge that stuff, by and large. And it could be a tough rep to get even if you actually are clutch. EG Vince. He had plenty of clutch shots, but he's not on most peoples' top 5 list for whatever reason.
lambchop
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,823
And1: 5,540
Joined: May 14, 2014

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#9 » by lambchop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Not surprised at Anderson at all. A 67% shooter is from the FT line is not reliable at all. Plus he was too hyped for that game and mentally screwed himself.

As for Kobe, no that won't happen again. He was forcing the issue, not many players force the issue, unless they are truly capable. Kobe simply wasn't ready at the time.
Stan
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 90
Joined: Oct 11, 2019

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#10 » by Stan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 pm

NPZ wrote:
Dupp wrote::lol:


No one has a more fabricated clutch image than Kobe


Who is clutch today in your mind? And besides Mike or Bird (take them as givens), who was clutch to you in the 80s/90s? Gimme a few names for each, not gonna argue w/ your picks. Just wanna get a sense of what you consider legit clutch image vs Kobe's. I know Kobe missed a lot of clutch shots, but he made a lot. People don't consider the misses when they judge that stuff, by and large. And it could be a tough rep to get even if you actually are clutch. EG Vince. He had plenty of clutch shots, but he's not on most peoples' top 5 list for whatever reason.

My biggest issue with Kobe's clutch rep is, he consistently underperformed in both the Finals and elimination games. Sure, you can find outliers and exceptions to the rule, but he has to have some of the worst career Finals and elimination game averages for an ATG player
lakerz12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,944
And1: 6,529
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Contact:
     

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#11 » by lakerz12 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Dupp wrote::lol:


No one has a more fabricated clutch image than Kobe


There used to be a website called NBA Miner that had a formula and a ranking of every NBA player based on:

"Clutch Time: During the 4th quarter or overtime, with less than five minutes remaining, and neither team ahead by more than five points"

Kobe was ranked in different seasons: 10th, 2nd, 16th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 2nd

He was consistently top 5 in the entire NBA . . .year after year

If you watched most of his games, like I did, it wasn't uncommon to see him win games with his scoring and defense in the 4th quarter. It's not all about the last second shot, although he had a lot of those go in as well.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 14,847
And1: 6,513
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#12 » by Optms » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 pm

No because 18 years olds can't play in the NBA.
InTheNBADraft
Freshman
Posts: 80
And1: 29
Joined: Mar 12, 2018

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#13 » by InTheNBADraft » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Jeez, people thought that was like the beginning of irrecoverable yips. Which, tbh, for someone as inexperienced as he was, it could've been, but that just wasn't in Kobe's character and it didn't phase him.
Trey24
Junior
Posts: 318
And1: 283
Joined: Jul 26, 2009
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#14 » by Trey24 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
Dupp wrote::lol:


No one has a more fabricated clutch image than Kobe


There used to be a website called NBA Miner that had a formula and a ranking of every NBA player based on:

"Clutch Time: During the 4th quarter or overtime, with less than five minutes remaining, and neither team ahead by more than five points"

Kobe was ranked in different seasons: 10th, 2nd, 16th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 2nd

He was consistently top 5 in the entire NBA . . .year after year

If you watched most of his games, like I did, it wasn't uncommon to see him win games with his scoring and defense in the 4th quarter. It's not all about the last second shot, although he had a lot of those go in as well.


These can't be real numbers because realgm says Kobe wasn't a top 15 player all time and Kobe was never clutch EVER.
EAS Law
Analyst
Posts: 3,218
And1: 3,197
Joined: Nov 01, 2015
     

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#15 » by EAS Law » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 pm

Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.
User avatar
levon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,594
And1: 8,828
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#16 » by levon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 pm

I mean one way you can live it down is by becoming a worldwide icon, legend, and indisputably top 15 NBA player of all time.
Bornstellar
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,536
And1: 2,796
Joined: Mar 05, 2018
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#17 » by Bornstellar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 pm

NPZ wrote:Yes and the victim will be James Harden. It will happen when the NBA resumes in July. He's gonna airball 4 treys AND miss 4 critical FTs like Nick Anderson.

I can see this happening
Bornstellar
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,536
And1: 2,796
Joined: Mar 05, 2018
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#18 » by Bornstellar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:56 pm

EAS Law wrote:Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.

And? Kobes death was a tragedy but its been two months already. People should able to discuss normal basketball discourse without this whining.
EAS Law
Analyst
Posts: 3,218
And1: 3,197
Joined: Nov 01, 2015
     

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#19 » by EAS Law » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am

Bornstellar wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.

And? Kobes death was a tragedy but its been two months already. People should able to discuss normal basketball discourse without this whining.

Only this isn’t a normal discussion and the intent is clear. But damn, so edgy and dark. Very cool. Very impressed.
Bornstellar
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,536
And1: 2,796
Joined: Mar 05, 2018
 

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#20 » by Bornstellar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 am

EAS Law wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.

And? Kobes death was a tragedy but its been two months already. People should able to discuss normal basketball discourse without this whining.

Only this isn’t a normal discussion and the intent is clear. But damn, so edgy and dark. Very cool. Very impressed.

Not about being edgy but hey I'm impressed by your use of retired reddit comebacks.

Point is yeah he died it was sad but that has nothing to do with the thread. People should be able to talk about Kobe like they did before now. Especially since theres a pandemic going on. Sorry dude but your role model isn't the most important story right now

Return to The General Board