Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100%

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#161 » by Suprasc1 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:48 am

Spice Melange wrote:If Im a GM/Owner, Id rather win the 100% of the time assuming Im not making the playoffs the other times so i can just stock up on lottery picks and less mileage on the players on my team. If Im a player, probably the win 50% of the time because if you love basketball you'd want to be competing with the best as much as you can.

Good answer
Bandwagon2019
Sophomore
And1: 140

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#162 » by Bandwagon2019 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:42 am

So basically you win the same amount of titles in both scenarios but in one you reach the finals every time vs the other where you lose earlier every time? Seems like an easy decision to me
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#163 » by michaelm » Mon May 25, 2020 11:47 am

Bandwagon2019 wrote:So basically you win the same amount of titles in both scenarios but in one you reach the finals every time vs the other where you lose earlier every time? Seems like an easy decision to me

Except it is really another irrelevant hypothetical. It is basically impossible to compete in twelve successive Finals and win half the time for the same team under current salary cap and other equalisation rules, and Kevin Durant apparently has earnt eternal condemnation for leaving his drafting franchise after 9 years during which his team made 2 conference finals series and 1 NBA finals, succeeding in winning a single conference title only.

And sure if we are to be specific if LeBron finishes with 12 conference titles and 6 NBA titles then that will be better than 6 NBA titles and no additional conference titles, but to be hypothetical myself if he does this it will likely involve moves which have ‘destroyed the competitiveness of the NBA’ much more than anything Durant has putatively done, and won’t be with a single franchise which has never won a title without him and playing with whomever the Bulls FO put next to him as was the case with Jordan.

I do think most players and teams would take 6:0 over 3:6 btw (EDIT as has been said).
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#164 » by dockingsched » Mon May 25, 2020 2:10 pm

So basically it’s like would I rather my team lose in the first round or would I rather they lose in the finals? How is this a real question?

Wait, i forget that some people think a finals loss is somehow worse than getting swept in the first round or not even being able lead a team to the playoffs at all.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
michaelm
RealGM

Post#165 » by michaelm » Mon May 25, 2020 2:17 pm

dockingsched wrote:So basically it’s like would I rather my team lose in the first round or would I rather they lose in the finals? How is this a real question?

Wait, i forget that some people think a finals loss is somehow worse than getting swept in the first round or not even being able lead a team to the playoffs at all.

I can tell you as a GSW fan that a finals loss hurts more than an earlier round loss, particularly if your team is spent after barely winning a 7 game conference finals series series against a worthy opponent.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#166 » by Antinomy » Mon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm

It’s always funny seeing certain posters talk themselves into a corner. So you’d rather LOSE earlier in the playoffs (or miss them altogether) than be in the final round & have a chance at winning it all?

All for a vanity record.

If Lebron (for example) was 3-0 in the finals, would that be better than 3-6?

How is Lebron having 9 Eastern Conference Championships & 3 NBA titles a “bad” thing?
Antinomy
Head Coach

Post#167 » by Antinomy » Mon May 25, 2020 2:24 pm

KobesScarf wrote:This is an incredibly stupid question. Why would losing before the Finals be a good thing?

It has to be for their agenda. At least they’re being consistent though.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#168 » by michaelm » Mon May 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Antinomy wrote:It’s always funny seeing certain posters talk themselves into a corner. So you’d rather LOSE earlier in the playoffs (or miss them altogether) than be in the final round & have a chance at winning it all?

All for a vanity record.

And I am always amused that anyone draws any conclusions from discussing the completely hypothetical, in this case an extremely unlikely hypothetical. Doing so can perhaps be vaguely diverting in the absence of any actual basketball games but has nothing to do with reality.
Antinomy
Head Coach

Post#169 » by Antinomy » Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm

michaelm wrote:
Antinomy wrote:It’s always funny seeing certain posters talk themselves into a corner. So you’d rather LOSE earlier in the playoffs (or miss them altogether) than be in the final round & have a chance at winning it all?

All for a vanity record.

And I am always amused that anyone draws any conclusions from discussing the Completely hypothetical, in this case an extremely unlikely hypothetical. Doing so can perhaps be vaguely diverting in the absence of any actual basketball games but has nothing to do with reality.

Nice vocabulary.

Anyhow, multiple people have used specific players as examples for this hypothetical. It being a hypothetical doesn’t prevent people from inserting their own (faulty) logic & staying on code with their agenda.

Losing earlier is objectively worse than losing later on.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#170 » by Roger Murdock » Mon May 25, 2020 6:08 pm

Speaking as a Cavs fan.

Losing to the Celtics in '10 and the Magic in '09, when we had championship caliber teams - that hurt WAYYYYYYYY worse than losing to the Spurs and the Warriors.

Losing in the finals is whatever. You got there and gave yourself a chance. Nothing is worse than coming up short and underachieving.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#171 » by michaelm » Tue May 26, 2020 1:05 am

Antinomy wrote:
michaelm wrote:

All for a vanity record.

And I am always amused that anyone draws any conclusions from discussing the Completely hypothetical, in this case an extremely unlikely hypothetical. Doing so can perhaps be vaguely diverting in the absence of any actual basketball games but has nothing to do with reality.

Nice vocabulary.

Anyhow, multiple people have used specific players as examples for this hypothetical. It being a hypothetical doesn’t prevent people from inserting their own (faulty) logic & staying on code with their agenda.

But still drawn in by a hypothetical while the OP/whoever waits for a gotcha when posters reply. Everyone recognises this is really another LeBron vs MJ thread anyway rather than replying with more pointless hypotheticals.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#172 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 am

Drylick wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:All he has over them is a better combination of commercials. Physically they did a lot more on the court. I know from your post you can only see this as a Lebron Jordan argument. It isn't. I couldn't care less about either.

Jordan has more scoring titles, more Finals MVPs, he was the steals leader 3x, the highest scoring average in the Regular Season, Playoffs, and Finals. All in all, Jordan had around 70 accomplishments while Kareem is around 60. And Jordan's advanced stats dwarfs Kareem.

What Kareem have over Jordan is longevity. Stop while you're only 2 feet down.

I'll repeat, Michael has the biggest argument out of all the GOAT candidates. Insecure fans of other players just don't like to admit that fact.
You ignore rebounding, blocked shots, winning with two organisations all while playing in a non expansion era and through the merger. You can stan all you want. Jordan isn't the only answer for GOAT. But I get it the marketing machine has worked on you. Stay sleep.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#173 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 am

cpower wrote:3/9 = 50%?
This question isn't about Lebron. That's the issue.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#174 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 3:15 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:Nobody can call you a chocker if you make the finals every damm year and win half the time.

I guess this is related to Jordan, but I feel Jordan's 6-0 is only brought up when compared to Bron. He isn't the GOAT just based on never loosing the finals. The finals record is just a big plus, but not the reason. He'd still be the goat if he was, let's say, 6 out of 11. Loosing in the first round makes loosing less visible, but it's actually a very worse loss.
It's a crutch.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#175 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 am

Spice Melange wrote:If Im a GM/Owner, Id rather win the 100% of the time assuming Im not making the playoffs the other times so i can just stock up on lottery picks and less mileage on the players on my team. If Im a player, probably the win 50% of the time because if you love basketball you'd want to be competing with the best as much as you can.
That's bad business. You want the deep playoff revenue every year. And since on the hypothetical you're making the finals every year draft picks and new players are irrelevant.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#176 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 3:20 am

All for a vanity record.

If Lebron (for example) was 3-0 in the finals, would that be better than 3-6?

How is Lebron having 9 Eastern Conference Championships & 3 NBA titles a “bad” thing?
The Jordan is Jesus crowd can't have their minds engaged. No player wouldn't want to get to thenfinals every year both reputationally and financially. People forget there are playoff shares and the pride that if you are taken out it has to be to the champa.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#177 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 am

michaelm wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
michaelm wrote:And I am always amused that anyone draws any conclusions from discussing the Completely hypothetical, in this case an extremely unlikely hypothetical. Doing so can perhaps be vaguely diverting in the absence of any actual basketball games but has nothing to do with reality.

Nice vocabulary.

But still drawn in by a hypothetical while the OP/whoever waits for a gotcha when posters reply. Everyone recognises this is really another LeBron vs MJ thread anyway rather than replying with more pointless hypotheticals.
But it isn't since Lebron doesn't win the finals half the time.

Spice Melange
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,318

Post#178 » by Spice Melange » Tue May 26, 2020 4:29 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
That's bad business. You want the deep playoff revenue every year. And since on the hypothetical you're making the finals every year draft picks and new players are irrelevant.

Would you rather make it to the finals EVERY YEAR and win 50% or [would you rather make it to the finals] HALF THE TIME and win 100%?

You’re not making it to the finals every year if you’re winning 100%.

I’d rather just get the lotto picks and hope for some players that would make my team more marketable. You get lucky and draft the next Zion, Luka, or some other high profile player and you’ll generate more money that way as opposed to being a first or second exit those years you’re not winning the championship. I’m winning the championship EVERY OTHER YEAR. Those few games I miss out on when I’m not winning the championship is a sacrifice I’d take to get the next big thing.
1/26/20
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#179 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 26, 2020 5:15 am

Spice Melange wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Would you rather make it to the finals EVERY YEAR and win 50% or [would you rather make it to the finals] HALF THE TIME and win 100%?

You’re not making it to the finals every year if you’re winning 100%.

I’d rather just get the lotto picks and hope for some players that would make my team more marketable. You get lucky and draft the next Zion, Luka, or some other high profile player and you’ll generate more money that way as opposed to being a first or second exit those years you’re not winning the championship. I’m winning the championship EVERY OTHER YEAR. Those few games I miss out on when I’m not winning the championship is a sacrifice I’d take to get the next big thing.
Yeah but that's not the hypothetical.

Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#180 » by Drylick » Wed Jun 3, 2020 5:37 am

Alize wrote:Who cares? People in 20 years will see they won 2015, 2017 and 2018 AND broke the season record in 2016. Conclusion: better than 96 bulls
Drylick wrote:
Alize wrote:The Warriors are a greater team because they won 73 wins in a more competitive era. Its not like they didnt win it in 2015 or 2017 and 2018

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

They did not win. End of story.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

Sadly for you, people remember winning more than second placers. Even kids today know that the series is one of the greatest chokejobs ever.

Conclusion: 1996 Bulls better.

Return to The General Board