Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA return (Update: and Vegas?)

Moderators: Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez, bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk

Bergmaniac
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,809
And1: 5,455
Joined: Jan 08, 2010
 

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#41 » by Bergmaniac » Wed May 20, 2020 8:36 pm

That's our chance for a surprise title, nobody can overcome our home advantage even without fans in the arena.
nzahir
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,060
And1: 1,648
Joined: Nov 04, 2017
 

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#42 » by nzahir » Wed May 20, 2020 8:39 pm

I wonder if the nba would consider adding in a 2-2.5 week break period before the finals in case players have gotten sick

What happens if basically a whole team was to get it? Then what do we do, I wonder what backup plans we have
nzahir
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,060
And1: 1,648
Joined: Nov 04, 2017
 

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#43 » by nzahir » Wed May 20, 2020 8:41 pm

levon wrote:
nzahir wrote:
levon wrote:I don't understand how the "no asterisks" argument works here. If any rotation players gets this disease and god willing is tested and isolated before it spreads, that team will be down a rotation player. What if a star goes down in a league where stars are everything? You have THAT in addition to injuries that can produce super unlikely upsets.

I'm excited for more basketball but let's call a spade a spade. Fans are going to be contesting the results of this championship for a long while, especially if a team outside the top 4 wins.

But say there are no huge corona cases and the finals are normal, why would there be an asterik?

There wouldn't be. I'm hoping for that outcome. I don't think the no-fans and the hiatus they took before the playoffs qualifies because everyone is subject to that. Unless Durant and Kyrie come back and win the East or something, like a real lame edge-of-extinction scenario on Survivor, but that looks really unlikely.

But we also don't know the format. Best of 3 would be flukey as hell.

Best of 3 would never happen

They should do best of 5 for rd 1, but I doubt it

Maybe even consider best of 5 for rd 2, but there is no way they do that with all the lost $$

Rds 3 and 4 should be best of 7
User avatar
madmaxmedia
Head Coach
Posts: 7,409
And1: 2,721
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#44 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 20, 2020 8:51 pm

nzahir wrote:I wonder if the nba would consider adding in a 2-2.5 week break period before the finals in case players have gotten sick

What happens if basically a whole team was to get it? Then what do we do, I wonder what backup plans we have


I imagine they will develop a preliminary plan and then really explore the feasibility/ramifications of it first, before officially announcing anything. They may arrange for a few players per team to get tested, to get a sense of what current infection rates are.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
Head Coach
Posts: 7,409
And1: 2,721
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#45 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:That's our chance for a surprise title, nobody can overcome our home advantage even without fans in the arena.


This will also help the Clippers if they face the Lakers in the playoffs.
User avatar
Scalabrine
RealGM
Posts: 14,457
And1: 4,598
Joined: Jun 02, 2004
Location: NorCal
     

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#46 » by Scalabrine » Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 pm

In regards to the UFC thing. I wouldn't call it "going off without a hitch". A fight got cancelled because a fighter and his team tested positive for Covid-19. Thats kind of a big deal.
Go Knicks!
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,456
And1: 33,852
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#47 » by Duke4life831 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Scalabrine wrote:In regards to the UFC thing. I wouldn't call it "going off without a hitch". A fight got cancelled because a fighter and his team tested positive for Covid-19. Thats kind of a big deal.


They've had 3 events so far. Jacare and his corner were the only ones to test positive and it came prior to the event. Again dumb to still have him come to the hotel and participate in the pre fight activities, but all the precautions kept it from spreading to anyone and the second they found out he was positive he was out of there. The biggest mistake by the UFC was knowing Jacare was in contact with family members that were positive and still had him come to the hotel before testing him. Which they have changed that rule now, to if a fighter has been in contact with anyone that is positive, they run through some test prior to coming to the hotel.

Id say out of the 33 fights and hundreds of people involved. 1 fight getting canceled because 1 fighter and his corner tested positive from prior contacts and didnt spread it to anyone is a pretty damn good.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
Head Coach
Posts: 7,409
And1: 2,721
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#48 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:In regards to the UFC thing. I wouldn't call it "going off without a hitch". A fight got cancelled because a fighter and his team tested positive for Covid-19. Thats kind of a big deal.


They've had 3 events so far. Jacare and his corner were the only ones to test positive and it came prior to the event. Again dumb to still have him come to the hotel and participate in the pre fight activities, but all the precautions kept it from spreading to anyone and the second they found out he was positive he was out of there. The biggest mistake by the UFC was knowing Jacare was in contact with family members that were positive and still had him come to the hotel before testing him. Which they have changed that rule now, to if a fighter has been in contact with anyone that is positive, they run through some test prior to coming to the hotel.

Id say out of the 33 fights and hundreds of people involved. 1 fight getting canceled because 1 fighter and his corner tested positive from prior contacts and didnt spread it to anyone is a pretty damn good.


It's also what their protocol was supposed to catch. I don't think anyone was under the impression that they were 100% confident all the fighters, coaches, etc. were COVID free when the cards were announced. It would be a lot more disastrous if a couple of days later, a fighter or someone working the event tested positive- that would put a big damper on any UFC or other sporting events in the near future.

Of course, had half the fighters on the cards tested positive, then that would have been bad too. I guess "without a hitch" is relative/subjective. The most important thing was that the event be done safely and not spread infection, hopefully in that sense they succeeded. After that, you're hoping for the best fights and event possible.
3ddman23
Analyst
Posts: 3,404
And1: 1,002
Joined: Jul 02, 2013
Location: orlando
   

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#49 » by 3ddman23 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:06 pm

My city coming thru in the clutch. Orlando is so slept on as a city its crazy.
GO MAGIC
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
Posts: 8,916
And1: 1,114
Joined: Jun 26, 2003

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#50 » by Shanghai Kid » Wed May 20, 2020 11:09 pm

It's going to be interested to see how the players react to no fans and how if effects their energy.
HotRocks34
General Manager
Posts: 9,969
And1: 10,275
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#51 » by HotRocks34 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Just a footnote to this. The UFC is holding an event in Las Vegas on May 30. That was apparently announced today. So it looks like Vegas is going to be available as a choice soon, too. Wasn't sure that was going to be the case before today.
Metallikid
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,331
And1: 4,023
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#52 » by Metallikid » Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
Ralnor wrote:My only really question is what happens to the employees of Disney World? I am guessing the park will not be open if the NBA is using it to play their season since the 'bubble' will be up.


Few things here:

1. Walt Disney World is 4 parks. Likely they will be a slow re-opening. Right now all eyes are on Shanghai Disneyland and how things are going for them, since they recently re-opened.

2. There are roughly 70,000 Walt Disney World Cast Members (employees) on furlough right now. Many of them are dying to get to back to work, including several of my close family and friends. Some would be recalled to work to help in hosting the NBA. How they get there is likely to be a combination of volunteers and call-backs. It will be folks like front desk, custodial, housekeeping, food services, etc.

None of this is easy, but there is real motivation from all parties involved to make it happen.


I'm almost certain every single employee who is tasked with being a part of this endeavour will literally be inside the bubble for the duration of the entire event. They'll all stay at the hotels. There's no going in and out. All their meals will be provided. These will probably be hand-picked employees who have the best track record of performance, and it would be a very limited amount. I don't think Disney World itself will be open for quite some time yet.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 21,257
And1: 24,025
Joined: Feb 09, 2014
       

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#53 » by Smitty731 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 am

Metallikid wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
Ralnor wrote:My only really question is what happens to the employees of Disney World? I am guessing the park will not be open if the NBA is using it to play their season since the 'bubble' will be up.


Few things here:

1. Walt Disney World is 4 parks. Likely they will be a slow re-opening. Right now all eyes are on Shanghai Disneyland and how things are going for them, since they recently re-opened.

2. There are roughly 70,000 Walt Disney World Cast Members (employees) on furlough right now. Many of them are dying to get to back to work, including several of my close family and friends. Some would be recalled to work to help in hosting the NBA. How they get there is likely to be a combination of volunteers and call-backs. It will be folks like front desk, custodial, housekeeping, food services, etc.

None of this is easy, but there is real motivation from all parties involved to make it happen.


I'm almost certain every single employee who is tasked with being a part of this endeavour will literally be inside the bubble for the duration of the entire event. They'll all stay at the hotels. There's no going in and out. All their meals will be provided. These will probably be hand-picked employees who have the best track record of performance, and it would be a very limited amount. I don't think Disney World itself will be open for quite some time yet.


While Disney would likely love for this to be the case, it's simply not how it works in a union environment. Everything is about seniority and training in those cases.
Metallikid
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,331
And1: 4,023
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#54 » by Metallikid » Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 am

Smitty731 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
Few things here:

1. Walt Disney World is 4 parks. Likely they will be a slow re-opening. Right now all eyes are on Shanghai Disneyland and how things are going for them, since they recently re-opened.

2. There are roughly 70,000 Walt Disney World Cast Members (employees) on furlough right now. Many of them are dying to get to back to work, including several of my close family and friends. Some would be recalled to work to help in hosting the NBA. How they get there is likely to be a combination of volunteers and call-backs. It will be folks like front desk, custodial, housekeeping, food services, etc.

None of this is easy, but there is real motivation from all parties involved to make it happen.


I'm almost certain every single employee who is tasked with being a part of this endeavour will literally be inside the bubble for the duration of the entire event. They'll all stay at the hotels. There's no going in and out. All their meals will be provided. These will probably be hand-picked employees who have the best track record of performance, and it would be a very limited amount. I don't think Disney World itself will be open for quite some time yet.


While Disney would likely love for this to be the case, it's simply not how it works in a union environment. Everything is about seniority and training in those cases.


Well if they have seniority that should correlate at least partially with competency, right?
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 21,257
And1: 24,025
Joined: Feb 09, 2014
       

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#55 » by Smitty731 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
I'm almost certain every single employee who is tasked with being a part of this endeavour will literally be inside the bubble for the duration of the entire event. They'll all stay at the hotels. There's no going in and out. All their meals will be provided. These will probably be hand-picked employees who have the best track record of performance, and it would be a very limited amount. I don't think Disney World itself will be open for quite some time yet.


While Disney would likely love for this to be the case, it's simply not how it works in a union environment. Everything is about seniority and training in those cases.


Well if they have seniority that should correlate at least partially with competency, right?


If only that was how it worked. In many cases the most senior employees are the least productive with the worst attitudes. I saw it time and time again with my nearly 20 years of working for Disney.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,456
And1: 33,852
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#56 » by Duke4life831 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:35 pm

So much for creating a "bubble campus" environment. According to the wiretap, Dudley says players will be able to leave the location whenever they want. Kind of kills the entire point of trying to make the location a "bubble" if players can just leave and essentially pop the bubble.
User avatar
rate_
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,630
And1: 5,168
Joined: Apr 10, 2017

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#57 » by rate_ » Thu May 21, 2020 3:40 pm

3ddman23 wrote:My city coming thru in the clutch. Orlando is so slept on as a city its crazy.

Miami's personal jizz rag
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 14,358
And1: 3,726
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#58 » by slick_watts » Thu May 21, 2020 3:44 pm

are they going to tape delay the games? or pipe in sound? there's no way you can have a quiet arena during a professional basketball game and broadcast it live with all the trash talk audible.
Alonzo_Morning
Analyst
Posts: 3,277
And1: 3,343
Joined: Jan 19, 2014
Location: Perth, Western Australia
 

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#59 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu May 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Frontrunner to win the ship?
R-DAWG
RealGM
Posts: 14,976
And1: 3,306
Joined: Nov 07, 2003

Re: Report: Orlando the frontrunner for NBA resumed season 

Post#60 » by R-DAWG » Thu May 21, 2020 5:38 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:Ugh. I have such a hard time wrapping my mind around thé course of events if someone tests positive. Regular season games not a big deal, but to go into high stakes playoffs w/ that looming is such a mess. Again - teams w/ immune stars at such an advantage. Like what if a big star tests positive and gets isolated? That would be such a quagmire. Gamblers/odds setters can’t be a fan either.

They really need to play some low stakes games first IMO. Going right to playoffs sounds too risky.


A player could also "pull a calf", sorry, I mean partially tear his Achilles and alter a teams chance at winning a title. It's part of sports.

And this situation is far from perfect - playing a playoffs without fans, after a 4 month layoff, and without a full regular season. But as sports fan we need this. We need the distraction of 4-6 hours per night over a 6-8 week stretch watching the NBA and getting caught up in the competition to distract us from the reality of what life is right now. It will go a long way in the healing process. It will help people stay home and out of crowds. It will add a sense of normalcy.

Games on TV at night
Watching ESPN/listing to sports talk radio during the day
Using the results on the games to discuss trade proposals on the forums.

weather this occupies 3 hours a day for you or 3 hours a week, you miss it. You want it back even if it's not perfect.

Return to The General Board