What should the NBA do with the rest of the season? 70 games, 82 games, start playoffs, cancel season?

Moderators: Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez, bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk

What should the NBA do for the rest of the season?

Just start the playoffs (63-67 is enough games played already)
17%
Reduce the season to 70 games + Playoffs
34%
Play 82 games + Playoffs
14%
Cancel the damn season already
34%

Total votes: 58

J-Wolves
Senior
And1: 438

Re: What should the NBA do with the rest of the season? 70 games, 82 games, start playoffs, cancel season? 

Post#21 » by J-Wolves » Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 am

25 votes for basketball to continue this season. 16 votes to cancel the season already.
July 4 2016, Kevin Durant declared his dependence day, dependent on the guys he couldn't beat!
Mind_Odyssey
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,718

Re: What should the NBA do with the rest of the season? 70 games, 82 games, start playoffs, cancel season? 

Post#22 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am

Play the 70 games so players get their money.

Shorten the playoffs.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,022

Post#23 » by The Duke » Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 am

70 games and playoffs is likely the goal now.
Lots can change (actual and perception) in 1 whole month, where ppl would feel this is feasible. Teams get a brand new schedule to finish off the 70 games. Players are employees (and would be under some modified agreement that NBPA Approves), if anyone doesn't want to report due to only playing 4 games or covid reasons, they have that ability, and they could be placed on a newly created "commissioners except list" (not paid), so they are effectively suspended, without calling out it that.
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 15,052

Post#24 » by GREY 1769 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I voted 82 games plus playoffs. The 70 games meets the tv deal criteria but conflicts with the competitive balance: Washington has an outside chance to catch 8th, and four West teams are within half a game of one another, with the team in 8th having the hardest SoS left. But every game counts, and every team is in the same situation, so I also understand someone arguing that more could/should have been done by those teams earlier. But some of those teams had a harder SoS earlier in the season (recall Utah's amazing run to finish a season strong after starting poorly). So on the whole, I'd rather the games be all played out.

The biggest concern for me is of course health in relation to the pandemic, specifically a second wave. My very first option would be to scrap this season and make sure everything is good to go for next season, but I understand the NBA has multiple competing priorities it has to find a way to fit the best way possible. The single non-negotiable is that HEALTH COMES FIRST. On top of testing, they have to have in place proper facilities and equipment at hand should anyone get sick.

Also, back to the first point about number of games:
Read on Twitter

As to the second point about health coming first, I really truly hope there is never a conflict between health and broadcast partner desires/demands:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 4,375

Post#25 » by Catchall » Sat May 23, 2020 6:08 pm

ejs78 wrote:Mentioned it on another thread about this.

70 games is needed to get a majority of the local tv revenue.

Its all about the money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

The NBA should be able to negotiate a makegood with the media networks. I don't think that should be the driving decision. However, I can see why the league would cozy up to Disney if the NBA is about to become a made-for-tv product.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 4,375

Post#26 » by Catchall » Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 pm

JasonStern wrote:"Playoff seeding!" - Again, you'll have nearly half of the league tanking. Seeding would be impacted heavily based on the luck of the draw in which teams the playoff teams face. Imagine Utah losing home court advantage because they have to play Denver while OKC gets to play Minnesota.

Just pointing out that there is no home-court advantage if teams are playing in an Olympic Village scenario.

Return to The General Board