Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez, bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
Posts: 14,887
And1: 8,522
Joined: Mar 04, 2010
Location: 7/4/16: The day Durant nuked the NBA leaving only the warriors as survivors.
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#21 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.
*Insert witty signature here.*
twozeroMM
Veteran
Posts: 2,538
And1: 3,205
Joined: Dec 15, 2011
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#22 » by twozeroMM » Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm

limbo wrote:Basically, if there's like a 0.5% chance of getting COVID it's not worth the risk for most people. They need a 100% guarantee that everything is safe to commit... which not only will not happen now, but likey won't happen until there's a vaccine out (that's been thoroughly tested). Not to mention there being a pretty widespread belief of a potential 2nd wave coming in less than half a year again... In that case, even having a 2021 season would be viewed as not safe by a lot of people...

So now there's basically two options out there... Barricade yourself in a bunker and wait until the whole mainstream tells you the virus has been eradicated or a vaccine has been develop. Or try and just live life (with certain precautions) and live with the results... Like, people still get in their cars and do all types of dangerous stuff in their day-to-day lives fully knowing the possibilites of every such action being potentially fatal...

I'm not here trying to tell anyone how to approach thr situation on a personal level. If someone wants to barricade themselves they have a right to do that, but at what point do we let people just live their livea, because it's obvious not doing that has a massive negative effect on society in every imaginable aspect...

The thing is, even outside of basketball, things wont be 100% for a long long time. They'll have to get comfortable with the idea of being uncomfortable around people. It'll also start to effect next season if this season gets canceled.
Damkac
Veteran
Posts: 2,850
And1: 2,493
Joined: Apr 18, 2011
Location: Poland

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#23 » by Damkac » Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.

Yes, because everything is always about the Lakers.
Image
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
Posts: 14,887
And1: 8,522
Joined: Mar 04, 2010
Location: 7/4/16: The day Durant nuked the NBA leaving only the warriors as survivors.
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#24 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:This won't be NBA basketball dude. The players are out of shape. The teams have been away from each other for months now. Now you want to get rid of home court which makes seeding and the regular season even less valuable. It isn't like teams knew going in there would be less games like in 99 or 00 but the season came to an abrupt end and locked in weird seeding. Next you want to remove fans so the games won't feel normal at all (for players or fans).

So basically you want out of shape players, weird dead arenas, to completely dismiss the value of home court, and to now push the playoffs 2 months deeper into the summer.

I'm sorry but that's not the nba, that's not professional basketball.

Worse yet with fat nba players, odds are we'll see the worst playoffs ever in terms of injuries to key players.


They are saying that there will be a 4-6 week training camp. So even if they get the green light say June 1st the first playoff game will be July 1st.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. Not that that it can be helped but whatever the NBA throws together will be a half assed half hearted playoffs that will resemble something close to a summer league game.
*Insert witty signature here.*
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 21,023
And1: 8,837
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#25 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:This won't be NBA basketball dude. The players are out of shape. The teams have been away from each other for months now. Now you want to get rid of home court which makes seeding and the regular season even less valuable. It isn't like teams knew going in there would be less games like in 99 or 00 but the season came to an abrupt end and locked in weird seeding. Next you want to remove fans so the games won't feel normal at all (for players or fans).

So basically you want out of shape players, weird dead arenas, to completely dismiss the value of home court, and to now push the playoffs 2 months deeper into the summer.

I'm sorry but that's not the nba, that's not professional basketball.

Worse yet with fat nba players, odds are we'll see the worst playoffs ever in terms of injuries to key players.


They are saying that there will be a 4-6 week training camp. So even if they get the green light say June 1st the first playoff game will be July 1st.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. Not that that it can be helped but whatever the NBA throws together will be a half assed half hearted playoffs that will resemble something close to a summer league game.


This vs having summer league, training camp, preseason, and then a season. Not to mention that normally players aren't without access to gyms and trainers (I'm sure some players have home gyms and their trainers still came over but I doubt everyone did). For the older guys the off season is a huge deal and critical in keeping them able to play. This is just going to be a mess, even with a month or so of prep time.

Mind you, would love to be wrong and this turns into the greatest playoffs we've ever seen. But odds are it'll be a mess and won't feel like we got a real playoffs anyway. Watch some random WTF team win the title with lebron, harden, giannis, and 10 other stars all injured.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 21,023
And1: 8,837
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:01 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.


I'm betting money embiid comes in 30 pounds over weight and cant play past 20 minutes a game :(
jg77
Pro Prospect
Posts: 922
And1: 726
Joined: Feb 15, 2012

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#27 » by jg77 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I want it cancelled if continuing the season pushes next season even further out.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 21,023
And1: 8,837
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#28 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

jg77 wrote:I want it cancelled if continuing the season pushes next season even further out.


There's no assurance we'll have a next season either is the scary thing. The fear of a second wave is real, but I sure hope it's not close to as bad as they think.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 62,420
And1: 45,342
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#29 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
DaGawd
RealGM
Posts: 15,262
And1: 13,347
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Queens, NY
     

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#30 » by DaGawd » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

bondom34 wrote:Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.

This.. it's wild people are really trying to make this about whose rooting for a good team vs whose rooting for worse teams or who people don't want to see win.. I'd say it's mainly about health for those who don't want to see this season continue.. myself included
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 62,420
And1: 45,342
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#31 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm

DaGawd wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.

This.. it's wild people are really trying to make this about whose rooting for a good team vs whose rooting for worse teams or who people don't want to see win.. I'd say it's mainly about health for those who don't want to see this season continue.. myself included

Also I didn't add but if something does happen, all this does is really screw over next season. People saying not continuing makes less season less likely, but what if they try this and there's some outbreak? And by next season it is more under control? Then people are going to be super skeptical and we've lost a full season over it.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
jg77
Pro Prospect
Posts: 922
And1: 726
Joined: Feb 15, 2012

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#32 » by jg77 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Wouldn't they at least have to test around 300 people or so? Players and coaching staff included. I don't think every test coming back negative is realistic.
SpreeChokeJob
Junior
Posts: 464
And1: 300
Joined: Jun 30, 2017

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#33 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Without the fans, it would seem like a scrimmage game. The excitement comes from the momentum of the crowd. We don’t watch for the play but the atmosphere of sports.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 21,023
And1: 8,837
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#34 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm

bondom34 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.

This.. it's wild people are really trying to make this about whose rooting for a good team vs whose rooting for worse teams or who people don't want to see win.. I'd say it's mainly about health for those who don't want to see this season continue.. myself included

Also I didn't add but if something does happen, all this does is really screw over next season. People saying not continuing makes less season less likely, but what if they try this and there's some outbreak? And by next season it is more under control? Then people are going to be super skeptical and we've lost a full season over it.


Everyone is so focused on the players who are extremely low risk, they forget the ages of a lot of coaches, refs, and others involved. Not everyone is under 40 and an elite athlete. If it were just the players, I think the health risks are small enough that this is a pretty minor thing.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,456
And1: 33,852
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#35 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:35 pm

jg77 wrote:Wouldn't they at least have to test around 300 people or so? Players and coaching staff included. I don't think every test coming back negative is realistic.


It will be a lot more than 300 people. For comparison for the first UFC event they had about 300 people to test once you included all the fighters, coaches, media and so on. I mean there are 400+ players on roster alone. Let alone the coaching staffs, the medical and training staffs for each team, the families of the players and so on. You're going to be looking at like 1000 people to test.
mtron929
Head Coach
Posts: 6,047
And1: 4,962
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#36 » by mtron929 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:41 pm

bondom34 wrote:Health is generally most important. Oh and when a player gets sick (it almost certainly happens) in the middle of a playoff series and can't play it's going to be really interesting and awkward. We've got a distinct chance of having entire teams quarantine in the middle of a playoff or a major player getting sick.

Oh and again, health. Yeah IDC if the Lakers or whoever win, but health is more important than basketball.


Pretty much agreed. Basketball is one of these endeavours where social distancing is pretty much impossible. Moreover, the NBA has an elongated playoff format such that there is so many games that needs to be played to determine the champion. On top of that, if there is even one player who comes down with the coronavirus, the whole structure will just collapse. The NBA will be put in a situation where if they proceed, they will be **** and if they stop, they will be ****.
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,597
And1: 2,150
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#37 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 22, 2020 3:43 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:So I understand that there is a safety concern with COVID, but what is with people on realgm that don't want basketball this season?

I can appreciate someone who lives with an at risk person not wanting to expose them self to such a viral load but why do posters here not want basketball to see NBA basketball return and I'm not hearing safety concerns mentioned.

My theory based on what I've seen is either people with agendas who don't certain players to achieve success or fans of the bottom of the barrel teams that are just jealous.

What do you guys think?


That should be reason enough. There is still a misconception that only some people are at risk. EVERYONE has a risk of acquiring it and getting very sick from it.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Robinson/Burks/Thybulle
Harris/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,597
And1: 2,150
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#38 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.


While I'd love for that to happen, don't underestimate our complete lack of identity :lol:
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Robinson/Burks/Thybulle
Harris/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
sfernald
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,561
And1: 1,377
Joined: Mar 06, 2009

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#39 » by sfernald » Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.


While I'd love for that to happen, don't underestimate our complete lack of identity :lol:


Celtics need to be banned from the playoffs because they make people sick.
User avatar
bisme37
Veteran
Posts: 2,781
And1: 6,682
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#40 » by bisme37 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


This sums it up for me.

Plus If the season starts up I assume its right to the playoffs which means the Cs play the sixers in the first round which means the Sixers beat the Celtics easily in 4 or 5 games.


Image

Return to The General Board