Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

koningcosmo
Senior
And1: 636

Re: Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando 

Post#101 » by koningcosmo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am

meanwhile in Germany who took Covid seriously bundesliga has restarted on MAY 15th! Even in GB were they screwed up with covid response, there are almost restarting premier league, so dont really get why the NBA shouldnt be able to start end of july.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,178

Post#102 » by donnieme » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 am

hippesthippo wrote:I've said this before.. how long are these men supposed to remain celibate?

Poor millionaires have to get reacquainted with hornpub and jergens like common folk. :noway:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,727

Post#103 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 am

Billy Goat wrote:Im surprised anyone was buying this "season" actually continuing.
. Do you think they'll wait until 2023?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#104 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:14 am

Jay 20 wrote:I hate to say it, but I can see this being cancelled. If there are really spikes happening then whose to say lockdown orders won't spark back up?
Coronavirus is going to be here forever. We can't expect players to wait 2 years to play.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#105 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 am

Black Jack wrote:To me the NBA is taking a MASSIVE risk here. If one player gets sick and goes to the ER...it is OVER. This could be a huge story and the NBA will look absolutely awful.

That said isn't it like 700M in TV money the league has to give up if hey cancel the season? I get it 8-)

Honestly if I was a player who didn't need the money I'd just stay home, damn the consequences. Any guys living check to check obviously have to go. Maybe high profile guys like LeBron have to. Maybe rookies looking for their first big payday have to play ball. But if I'm a veteran journeyman and my portfolio is already set? not a chance.
Geeez, what are you suggesting? Coronavirus will always be here now, just like the flu. Eventually everyone will get it.

The majority of people dying have a weakened immune and most have D deficiency. Everyone in the league will have regime to build their immune systems.

drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#106 » by drosereturn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:43 am

Maybe players want their cash but lazy not to show up for work. So if the virus lasts for a decade, will they all retire in the meantime?
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#107 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:47 am

UcanUwill wrote:I said this on youtube, but man, when I was young, I had to literally clean diarrhea for minumum wage, and I did, these guys are paid millions of dollars to play basketball, people did their best so they could still have a job as pro athletes in safe enviroment, and these guys have a nerve to act like this entitled a-holes. I seriously flipping out over this, you think nurses or mcdonnalds workers like to go to their freaking job, they might make less in ten year than you make in few weeks, and you act like your freaking job to play ball in freaking Disney world is too big a sacrifice? Seriously.

You say this as if being at Disney world wouldn't seriously suck. And the reason people work really really hard to be successful is so they get control of their lives and can make their own choices. Getting mad at players for not wanting to play under horrible conditions is crazy. Why should they be put under this risk when the vast majority of successful people in the world are working from home and able to protect themselves and their families?
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Post#108 » by gabri3l3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:49 am

cowards
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#109 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:51 am

basketballRob wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:Im surprised anyone was buying this "season" actually continuing.
. Do you think they'll wait until 2023?

If the players don’t want to play or even like playing, who knows. These guys seem to resent the fact that they’re entertainers/athletes.
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#110 » by Jay 20 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

basketballRob wrote:
Jay 20 wrote:I hate to say it, but I can see this being cancelled. If there are really spikes happening then whose to say lockdown orders won't spark back up?
Coronavirus is going to be here forever. We can't expect players to wait 2 years to play.

I don't expect it, but I'm also not a policy maker and we've seen how the lockdowns happened. It just takes one state like Arizona where the virus seems to be increasing rather than decreasing for the state to lock back down and then start a chain effect of others doing the same.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, just that I can see it happening.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#111 » by The Duke » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:29 am

If you don't want to play, cool.
Don't play, no pay for you.
Players will be lined up to take your spot.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,811

Post#112 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:41 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I said this on youtube, but man, when I was young, I had to literally clean diarrhea for minumum wage, and I did, these guys are paid millions of dollars to play basketball, people did their best so they could still have a job as pro athletes in safe enviroment, and these guys have a nerve to act like this entitled a-holes. I seriously flipping out over this, you think nurses or mcdonnalds workers like to go to their freaking job, they might make less in ten year than you make in few weeks, and you act like your freaking job to play ball in freaking Disney world is too big a sacrifice? Seriously.

You say this as if being at Disney world wouldn't seriously suck. And the reason people work really really hard to be successful is so they get control of their lives and can make their own choices. Getting mad at players for not wanting to play under horrible conditions is crazy. Why should they be put under this risk when the vast majority of successful people in the world are working from home and able to protect themselves and their families?

Who is actually not playing because of the risk? How much effort the league put into this, at this point the chances of getting sick there are most likely far lesser than getting sick while not playing and doing whatever these players doing. We all know why they dont want to play, because they dont want to be locked in one location they dont want to be, thats it, they found a thing they hate about their job right now and they are flat out quitting, and most likely still getting paid, its insulting to everyone who has ever had a crappy working conditions and didnt quit. And I use crappy working conditions like this NBA plan is terrible working conditions, which is not even.

I give you that most people stuck with their jobs because they dont have other choice, people are desperate. These guys are not, they already filled with cash, they are not desperate, we just found a reason why they are this entitled, ok, still stand by my rant and find it insulting.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#113 » by Mikistan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:48 am

If a group of players don't want to play, it's a NBPA and players Union problem.

they either will want to have everyone on board to show a united front, or you have a faction of players not playing and thereby undermining their union and future profits. If it's a group of stars who already have huge guaranteed contracts holding out, it may come off as a giant FU to the role players who make less money and create further tensions between the players at the top and the low contract guys.

It will be interesting if a big contingent do opt out of playing and how public preception and player cliques may form
gabri3l3
Junior

Post#114 » by gabri3l3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am

rasta_marley wrote:
Optms wrote:Still more understandable than players like Lillard not suiting up because the games are "meaningless"

If they don't want to play, they don't get paid. Simple. And if they are sitting out for stupid reasons like Lillard, fine em. That or give us fans the ability to not pay either and consume NBA content for free.

I think what lillard means is if hes not competing for a chip them the risk to health and family isnt worth it to him. I mean fair enough.

what risk? Young healthy individuals have absolutely nothing to fear there. I dont think he's bringing his granny to Orlando. he's terribly misinformed or he just wants to cash his check while sitting his ass on the couch.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#115 » by Mikistan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:52 am

gabri3l3 wrote:
rasta_marley wrote:
Optms wrote:Still more understandable than players like Lillard not suiting up because the games are "meaningless"

If they don't want to play, they don't get paid. Simple. And if they are sitting out for stupid reasons like Lillard, fine em. That or give us fans the ability to not pay either and consume NBA content for free.

I think what lillard means is if hes not competing for a chip them the risk to health and family isnt worth it to him. I mean fair enough.

what risk? Young healthy individuals have absolutely nothing to fear there. I dont think he's bringing his granny to Orlando. he's terribly misinformed or he just wants to cash his check while sitting his ass on the couch.

Have you been tested positive for corona?
gabri3l3
Junior

Post#116 » by gabri3l3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:54 am

Mikistan wrote:
gabri3l3 wrote:
rasta_marley wrote:

I wish

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#117 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Who is actually not playing because of the risk? How much effort the league put into this, at this point the chances of getting sick there are most likely far lesser than getting sick while not playing and doing whatever these players doing. We all know why they dont want to play, because they dont want to be locked in one location they dont want to be, thats it, they found a thing they hate about their job right now and they are flat out quitting, and most likely still getting paid, its insulting to everyone who has ever had a crappy working conditions and didnt quit. And I use crappy working conditions like this NBA plan is terrible working conditions, which is not even.

I give you that most people stuck with their jobs because they dont have other choice, people are desperate. These guys are not, they already filled with cash, they are not desperate, we just found a reason why they are this entitled, ok, still stand by my rant and find it insulting.

These are the top .01% of their profession people. Nobody else in that situation can't quit their job, make their own schedule or frankly do whatever they want anywhere in the world. Is it an insult to crappy workers everywhere I don't have to go into the office and that I won't be going back in as long as I'm expected to wear a mask? Of course not. Just like when I was in my 20's, I had to clean up diarrhea a few times myself at work.

I'm sure a lot of the players take issue with living in a bubble, AS THEY SHOULD! I am sure some players have their elderly parents living with them, have kids with immune issues, and in some cases some of these players are high risk.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#118 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Mikistan wrote:If a group of players don't want to play, it's a NBPA and players Union problem.

they either will want to have everyone on board to show a united front, or you have a faction of players not playing and thereby undermining their union and future profits. If it's a group of stars who already have huge guaranteed contracts holding out, it may come off as a giant FU to the role players who make less money and create further tensions between the players at the top and the low contract guys.

It will be interesting if a big contingent do opt out of playing and how public preception and player cliques may form

Pretty much. This is happening in all of the pro sports too, not just the NBA. The lack of competitiveness from pro athletes in this era seems awfully weird. But hard to really judge when they have generational wealth that exceeds anything guys in the 70's-80's-90's saw.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#119 » by jefe » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm

No work, no pay - it's basically a decision that everybody is making nowadays
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#120 » by Mikistan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm

gabri3l3 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
gabri3l3 wrote:

I wish

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

Is this a joke?

Seems like an incredibly stupid comment to willingly want to contract the disease. Even if it's a symptomatic to half the healthy population, there are still people with symptoms and impact on lungs.
We don't have long term data still, and there is no info on any lingering or overall impacts on lung capacity later in life.

Even if it is a joke, it's still incredibly silly to push such a narrative forward.

You want to go risk your health, go do it... And risk everyone else's health that you come in contact with. And then the health of everyone else they come in contact with.

But to push your moral compass/risk appetite onto everyone else is also silly. You sound entitled, or, you've been put in a situation where you've been forced to continue working in public and think because you are forced to then everyone else should too...

Return to The General Board