The Ringer: Top 5 NBA Executives and Coaches

Moderators: bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez

Dasein
Senior
And1: 406

Re: The Ringer: Top 5 NBA Executives and Coaches 

Post#141 » by Dasein » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Kerr should be in the top 5 coaches
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
coca_scola
Junior
And1: 479

Post#142 » by coca_scola » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
prefontaine wrote:How could this list not have anyone from the Warriors? Sure we've just had a **** season (due to injury), but why should that erase the last 5 years of total dominance?

Your team just traded for Andrew Wiggins and then finished dead last, somehow doing significantly worse than the Knicks or Cavs, and you think your coach and/or team executive should be ranked top 5? :crazy:

Myers gets exec of the year twice in the last 5 years and yet somehow he's not top 5?

Lawrence Frank is top 5 even though everyone knows that Jerry West is the decision maker in the org?

Daryl Morey is 2nd presiding over a capped out roster of players that have never and will never get over the hump and he's traded away 5 of his team's next 7 1st round picks?

These lists are mindless garbage.

No offence but Myers has been absolutely terrible last year or so. Overpaid for Draymond significantly and completely bungled the Russell trade. Russell is overrated but to trade him for Andrew Wiggins, possibly one of the worst contracts in the league?
thinkingwarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,528

Post#143 » by thinkingwarriors » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:55 am

coca_scola wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Your team just traded for Andrew Wiggins and then finished dead last, somehow doing significantly worse than the Knicks or Cavs, and you think your coach and/or team executive should be ranked top 5? :crazy:

Myers gets exec of the year twice in the last 5 years and yet somehow he's not top 5?

Lawrence Frank is top 5 even though everyone knows that Jerry West is the decision maker in the org?

Daryl Morey is 2nd presiding over a capped out roster of players that have never and will never get over the hump and he's traded away 5 of his team's next 7 1st round picks?

These lists are mindless garbage.

No offence but Myers has been absolutely terrible last year or so. Overpaid for Draymond significantly and completely bungled the Russell trade. Russell is overrated but to trade him for Andrew Wiggins, possibly one of the worst contracts in the league?

Fine. Myers isn't top-5, let's revisit this in a year.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 13,655

Post#144 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:10 pm

Jay 20 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
prefontaine wrote:
Yeah I'm 100% with you. Sure we had a crap season this season, but we didn't have 2/3 of our main stars and we jettisoned a whole bunch of our team.

You can't just ignore what is arguably the best or second best 5 year run of any team in history.

I will ignore it. If you guys don’t luck into KD you might have one ring, one finals loss, and possibly that’s it.

Your most recent transaction was trading an all star in D Russ for Andrew Wiggins and you haven’t hit a draft pick in like 7 years. A main guy (West) in making those decisions is now gone.

Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Draymond don’t scare people as much as prime KD, prime Curry, Prime Klay, and prime Draymond (plus Iggy and whoever else).

Again, if it wasn’t for KD, you could be a one time champion. You deserve no more respect than any other one time champion because as far as anyone is concerned, your KD titles mean nothing to how your team is now, and it means nothing to Kerr or Myers as HC’s or GM’s.

Can't the same thing be said about the Raptors? They traded for one year rental Kawhi and then he left. It's quite possible they'll win one championship and not even get back to the Finals, yet they own both top spots.

Trading for a guy is quite different an adding an MVP to a 73 win team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 12,793

Post#145 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Having watched recent playoff series against Nurse, Stevens and Spolestra pretty intensely and seeing ~half of the games in person, Nurse is pretty clearly the #3 of that group. He made some really weird tactical moves and took like 3 games to adjust after the Sixers switched things up in game 2 last year. Not that he's not a good coach and he'll probably get better but Stevens and Spolestra are just on a whole other level at this point.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 9,187

Post#146 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Anticon wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Anticon wrote:
All of their wins and playoff success since 2004 came when Duncan was on the roster. They have declined since he left.

Manu and Parker were drafted almost twenty years ago. It's like saying Joe Dumars deserves consideration as a top exec.

They need to show something post Kawhi and Duncan. As of yet they havent. If they do, they'll get credit again. But anything else is just dwelling on the past.

Dejounte Murray
Derrick White

Honestly they look to both be on track as some of the best 29th picks of all time (I'm sure there will be someone I've forgotten but the point stands).

These guys are fine, but that doesn't merit a top 5 GM selection, especially when the team is not in playoff position.

Remember, you gotta judge in the context of management/owner's goals. But those drafts alone are pretty damn epic given where they were picked.

Return to The General Board