The Ringer: Top 5 NBA Executives and Coaches

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,494

Re: The Ringer: Top 5 NBA Executives and Coaches 

Post#21 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:47 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:Still crazy to look back that Masai turned Demar and Valanciunas (+Poetl, Delon Wright) into Kawhi and Marc Gasol (and Danny green).

Both trades were absolute fleecings. Val has been good for Memphis and the trade made sense for them, but Gasol was still expected to fetch better value than that.

Anyone watching the spurs close enough to judge Jakob Poeltl? Stats are pretty nasty and the on - off is awesome as well. Given his low minutes there has to be an issue here, but the guy grades out as a potential stud if he can sustain that for 30 minutes a game.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#22 » by Forte IV » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Im kinda shocked Morey is #2
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,494

Post#23 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Forte IV wrote:Im kinda shocked Morey is #2

Hard to argue with his success.

Year Percentage
2008 67.1%
2009 64.6%
2010 51.2%
2011 52.4%
2012 51.5%
2013 54.9%
2014 65.9%
2015 68.3%
2016 50.0%
2017 67.1%
2018 79.3%
2019 64.6%
2020 62.5%
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,819

Post#24 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Forte IV wrote:Im kinda shocked Morey is #2

Are you a China bot?
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,308

Post#25 » by CIN-C-STAR » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:02 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:Still crazy to look back that Masai turned Demar and Valanciunas (+Poetl, Delon Wright) into Kawhi and Marc Gasol (and Danny green).

Both trades were absolute fleecings. Val has been good for Memphis and the trade made sense for them, but Gasol was still expected to fetch better value than that.

Anyone watching the spurs close enough to judge Jakob Poeltl? Stats are pretty nasty and the on - off is awesome as well. Given his low minutes there has to be an issue here, but the guy grades out as a potential stud if he can sustain that for 30 minutes a game.

His advanced stats are likely overselling him a bit because he usually is playing against bench units and his usage is somewhat matchup dependent, but he is an elite rim protector and not as bad on the perimeter as one might think considering he looks kind stiff.
On offense he provides no spacing whatsoever as he doesn't shoot 3s and his mid range isn't a weapon defenses concern themselves with even a little bit, but he's a great screen setter and seems content to be a roll man and put-back guy.
I really hope the Spurs lock him up long term for a reasonable deal. His game is more old school than modern, but I think he's a great fit for a young perimeter attacking offense like the Spurs seem to be building toward.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,308

Post#26 » by CIN-C-STAR » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:05 pm

prefontaine wrote:How could this list not have anyone from the Warriors? Sure we've just had a **** season (due to injury), but why should that erase the last 5 years of total dominance?

Your team just traded for Andrew Wiggins and then finished dead last, somehow doing significantly worse than the Knicks or Cavs, and you think your coach and/or team executive should be ranked top 5? :crazy:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#27 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:22 pm

prefontaine wrote:How could this list not have anyone from the Warriors? Sure we've just had a **** season (due to injury), but why should that erase the last 5 years of total dominance?

When we're back to competing for chips next season and beyond those with a shred of integrity will admit they overlooked the Warriors team, coaching and FO due to an abundance of wishful thinking.

Those without any integrity will be claiming the Warriors success was and still is entirely due to luck and nobody could have seen it coming.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#28 » by jimmy keys » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Seems about right. Also the number 1 medical staff lead by Alex McKechnie. Plus being the only international team makes their jobs that much more difficult. They deserve all the credit they receive.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,895

Post#29 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Anyway, back to why this was posted --- yeah OP the Raptors have sick leadership. I hope they can keep this together long term like the Spurs managed with Buford and Pop. I would agree that Ujiri is the best in the business, and Nurse belongs in the discussion(He is my clear COY this year, but I still have respect for some of the guys who have done it for longer--Pop,Spo,Doc, Carlisle).

Raptors are proving to be one of the premier franchises in the Association for sure.

I feel like Erik Spoelstra is massively overrated. When you take away Lebron, he coaches his teams up to a borderline playoff level, at best, sometimes lottery. This, despite the Heat's vaunted player development system. Spo and the Heat have bounced back this year, but that's mainly because of Jimmy Butler, who's elevated 3 franchises (Bulls, Wolves, Sixers and now Heat), so it's not really because of Spo.

Nick Nurse lost Kawhi AND Danny Green.... 2 top notch multi-position, wing defenders & starters, who are also deadly 3-pt shooters... and yet the Raptors have somehow improved this year? That's what I would have expected to see from Spoelstra.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#30 » by Richard4444 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:27 pm

No Knicks names!!!

I am shocked :o
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Middle Child
Pro Prospect
And1: 811

Post#31 » by Middle Child » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Hmm

Coaches- Pop, Kerr, Carlisle, Stevens, Nurse, Spo and Budenholzer in some order

GMs- Myers, Ujiri, Buford, Nelson, The fat dude in Miami what's his name
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#32 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:34 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:When we're back to competing for chips next season and beyond those with a shred of integrity will admit they overlooked the Warriors team, coaching and FO due to an abundance of wishful thinking.

Those without any integrity will be claiming the Warriors success was and still is entirely due to luck and nobody could have seen it coming.

yeah those definitely seem like the only two possibilities....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#33 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:35 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:

Your team just traded for Andrew Wiggins and then finished dead last, somehow doing significantly worse than the Knicks or Cavs, and you think your coach and/or team executive should be ranked top 5? :crazy:

Myers gets exec of the year twice in the last 5 years and yet somehow he's not top 5?

Lawrence Frank is top 5 even though everyone knows that Jerry West is the decision maker in the org?

Daryl Morey is 2nd presiding over a capped out roster of players that have never and will never get over the hump and he's traded away 5 of his team's next 7 1st round picks?

These lists are mindless garbage.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#34 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:When we're back to competing for chips next season and beyond those with a shred of integrity will admit they overlooked the Warriors team, coaching and FO due to an abundance of wishful thinking.

What else accounts for willfully ignoring the league's most successful franchise of the last decade? People trying to wish the Warriors decline into existence without any rational basis for it being so.
The hottest of takes...
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,228

Post#35 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:51 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:

When we're back to competing for chips next season and beyond those with a shred of integrity will admit they overlooked the Warriors team, coaching and FO due to an abundance of wishful thinking.

So the Warriors FO belong on that list TODAY thanks to Jerry West, who’s no longer there, calling the shots on drafting three guys circa 7-10 years ago + signings like Iggy? Or do they belong on there thanks to a super spike in the cap and capitalizing on KD’s super soft nature?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,537

Post#36 » by bisme37 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:51 pm

This made me realize that whoever owns the Raps should be getting a lot of credit but I don't even know who it is. Seems to be a group of people from what I just read by googling, but whoever is the managing owner who made call on the Masai and Nurse hires should be better known and get his due credit.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,775

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:55 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

What else accounts for willfully ignoring the league's most successful franchise of the last decade? People trying to wish the Warriors decline into existence without any rational basis for it being so.

Well of course many of us want them to decline. We are fans of teams competing with them. That doesn't mean we have no integrity.

And believe me nobody is ignoring them. We just don't have your myopic focus on them, which again seems really reasonable.

You seem to feel persecuted here and I assure you the Warriors aren't victims of some conspiracy of hate. It's going to be okay.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,342

Post#38 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:12 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

His advanced stats are likely overselling him a bit because he usually is playing against bench units and his usage is somewhat matchup dependent, but he is an elite rim protector and not as bad on the perimeter as one might think considering he looks kind stiff.
On offense he provides no spacing whatsoever as he doesn't shoot 3s and his mid range isn't a weapon defenses concern themselves with even a little bit, but he's a great screen setter and seems content to be a roll man and put-back guy.
I really hope the Spurs lock him up long term for a reasonable deal. His game is more old school than modern, but I think he's a great fit for a young perimeter attacking offense like the Spurs seem to be building toward.

Poetl has excellent feet for a guy that tall. In San Antonio, he's quietly become a bit more solid than he was in Toronto: stronger rebounding and passing to compliment his rim protection and surprising switchability. He should be a started in this league, but he's in a pretty crappy situation in San Antonio, who needs Aldridge on the floor to provide spacing for their army of poor shooting guards. We should get to see some extended minutes from him in the bubble with Aldridge out injured.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#39 » by The_Hater » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Any list about GMs or coaches that doesn't include LeBron or Rich Paul is invalid.

sigh this tired old trope again?

Do star players and agents have tons of power? Of course they do. Are they coaches or GM's? Of course not.

Come on Chuck, that was funny. :wink:
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,895

Post#40 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:

Myers gets exec of the year twice in the last 5 years and yet somehow he's not top 5?

Lawrence Frank is top 5 even though everyone knows that Jerry West is the decision maker in the org?

Daryl Morey is 2nd presiding over a capped out roster of players that have never and will never get over the hump and he's traded away 5 of his team's next 7 1st round picks?

These lists are mindless garbage.

Lawrence Frank should get very little credit for Kawhi. There was no recruitment at all.... Kawhi basically had his mind made up: Clippers or Lakers. He just wanted to play in his hometown and that's been consistent since he forced his way out of San Antonio. And it's debatable whether the Lakers even had a chance for a couple reasons: (a) Kawhi not wanting to team up with Lebron & (b) Steve Ballmer depositing untold millions into Uncle Dennis' (a banking executive) off-shore bank accounts.

The main credit I would give Lawrence Frank is/was accumulating the assets to allow OKC to shake down the Clips to acquire Paul George - one of the all-stars that Kawhi wanted to team with. PG13 or not, I still think Kawhi is going to the Clippers, hell or high water.

Return to The General Board