List: Covid19-Bois

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,312

Re: List: Covid19-Bois 

Post#21 » by CoP » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:32 am

KrAzY3 wrote:
LKN wrote:Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

Well, there's a lot to suggest that the number of deaths are inflated, and there are even monetary incentives to do so. That aside, yes that's a lot of deaths.

No there isn't. There is a lot to suggest a significant undercounting of deaths actually. For example, deaths classified as pneumonia YTD are up something crazy like 50% YoY. State DoHs are labeling many more deaths as pneumonia that are most likely COVID, either because they didn't or don't have the testing infrastructure in place and/or they're manipulating data.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#22 » by GTR11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:32 am

KrAzY3 wrote:
LKN wrote:Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

Well, there's a lot to suggest that the number of deaths are inflated, and there are even monetary incentives to do so. That aside, yes that's a lot of deaths.

However, there have been years in the US where over 50,000 people died from the flu. The reason no one freaked out was due to the fact that there might have been 30 or 40 million with the flu, meaning a lot of people caught it and a relatively small number of those people died. In many cases, the people who died had other complications, so it wasn't that the flu killed a healthy person, it was that the flu killed a person who was likely to die from any major illness or complication they encountered.

In this case, where people without symptoms are being tested regularly, we're seeing that a lot of them in fact have the virus. Ordinarily they aren't being tested, so clearly we have a segment of the population that has the virus but no ill effects. It is reasonable to conclude that more healthy people have this than the data reflects, and that healthy people are really at a very low risk to die from this. We can show appropriate concern but also have appropriate understanding.

How you explain the fact that numbers jump to catastrophic rates when social distancing been broken and mask won't be used.
Many people die not because flu was main cause, they die because they also had something along that led their system to fail. It's like saying people don't die from HIV, they die because of alcohol abuse for example.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,715

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:34 am

Deny the pandemic online if you must though it's beyond bizarre with all the evidence we have at this point. Just make sure you stay at home and wear a mask when you go out. Don't let your ignorance harm yourself or others.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
RoLo
Senior
And1: 1,252

Post#24 » by RoLo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:35 am

JB2 wrote:
JohnPferdelack wrote:I think the teams don't want to publish the severity.

Willing to bet athletes in peak physical condition are not suffering severe symptoms

well no f8cking sh8t
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,715

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:41 am

RoLo wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Willing to bet athletes in peak physical condition are not suffering severe symptoms

well no f8cking sh8t

Google image search mike schultz transformation and tell me guys in good shape are gonna all just be fine....

I hope they are, but there are no guarantees.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,287

Post#26 » by Bornstellar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 am

KrAzY3 wrote:

However, there have been years in the US where over 50,000 people died from the flu. The reason no one freaked out was due to the fact that there might have been 30 or 40 million with the flu, meaning a lot of people caught it and a relatively small number of those people died. In many cases, the people who died had other complications, so it wasn't that the flu killed a healthy person, it was that the flu killed a person who was likely to die from any major illness or complication they encountered.

In this case, where people without symptoms are being tested regularly, we're seeing that a lot of them in fact have the virus. Ordinarily they aren't being tested, so clearly we have a segment of the population that has the virus but no ill effects. It is reasonable to conclude that more healthy people have this than the data reflects, and that healthy people are really at a very low risk to die from this. We can show appropriate concern but also have appropriate understanding.

I really wish people would stop posting stupid **** like this :noway:
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#27 » by HiRez » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 am

Sneak peek from the ESPN Disney bubble in testing phase:

mcmokken
Senior
And1: 919

Post#28 » by mcmokken » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 am

KrAzY3 wrote:

Thank you for sharing your expertise. By the way, did you get your PhD in Epidemiology from Google or Facebook?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Post#29 » by og15 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 am

JB2 wrote:

Well technically the majority of people in general are not suffering severe symptoms, so it's not a bet anyone should be making from the other side, but of course the way statistics work is that just because there's a small chance doesn't mean there's no chance.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#30 » by jlokine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 am

JB2 wrote:

cool story, bro.. did you forget that these athletes in peak physical condition are human beings and they have families and children who their grandparents would like to see and play with not through an ipad?
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 895

Post#31 » by bovice » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 am

Profound23 wrote:
JohnPferdelack wrote:But players like KD are already recovered.

Unfortunately, people are catching Covid multiple times. Recovery is great but KD is just as likely to catch it again....and again. I have already come across a patient who caught it three separate times and that patient is a young healthy person otherwise.

really? I thought that's a testing issue more than covid-19 actually infecting someone that has already developed antibodies. your patient must be a really rare case
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#32 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:52 am

Willing to bet if a big name player like lebron or greek get it in the bubble all bets are off. This is all one big joke for the mighty dollar.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#33 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:57 am

LKN wrote:
gipper08 wrote:Once we get to 50-75 nba players who had the virus and none of them even are admitted to the hospital then will you guys finally admit this virus' lethality is overblown?

Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

And 480k worldwide. For all of the complaining about masks and stay at home orders, the numbers of people we would lose by making no change to our daily lives would be historic. I'm still stunned that people are really complaining about trying to survive a pandemic. This isn't over, and there will be more outbreaks like it; hopefully we do a better job in the future.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,527

Post#34 » by KrAzY3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:58 am

CoP wrote:No there isn't.

Yes there is, there are numerous incidents in which Covid was being written on the death certificate without any sort of proof it actually contributed to the death. In some cases it was pretty obviously not the cause of death. While I understand why, this was being determined as cause of death sometimes from a distance. That's not medically sound practice, but if you just start writing Covid on all the death certificates, it is a heck of a lot easier, especially when you have an elevated number of cases to deal with. That aside, my main point wasn't the number of deaths but the number relative to the actual number of people who caught the virus. Remember the original post mentioned how lethal the virus is.

GTR11 wrote:Many people die not because flu was main cause, they die because they also had something along that led their system to fail.

Since some people seem to think discussing things realistically is denying the existence or something, let me make my stance clear. The numbers are misleading in large part due to the fact that not everyone is tested. Basically every time they do mass testing on a group of healthy individuals, they find quite a few testing positive (I would add this means people in general are not being cautious enough). You can extrapolate that out to the general population and realize that there are a significant portion of the population that have the virus and no symptoms. I can point to my wife's workplace, where they've had several people test positive and no one seriously ill, I can point to my favorite college team where several players have tested positive once they got on campus, and none of them seemed aware they were ill.

So, we're at the point where if I go out and test 100 healthy people at random, I'm pretty much certain to find a few who have the virus. Those are not reflected in any of the numbers though, because they are only going with confirmed cases, not estimates. Since people might not be getting my main point, I'll just use some CDC info to explain what I'm getting at.

With the flu, the CDC provides estimates in their data: "CDC uses a mathematical model to estimate the numbers of influenza illnesses"

That's a big deal, because they are not just listing confirmed cases! So their rate of deaths for the flu is not off of confirmed cases, in fact they estimate less than half the people with the flu go to the hospital (so it will never be a confirmed case) and of those only a smaller percentage will be hospitalized, and of those only a smaller percentage will die from the illness. Most people who die from the flu, were on death's door to begin with so to speak. Unlike HIV which if unchecked will kill a perfectly healthy person, the odds of a perfectly healthy person dying of the flu are extremely low. And in terms of Covid, the odds of a perfectly healthy person dying from it also seem to be quite low. At risk people would be a whole other conversation.

So, anyway just going off the the way the CDC works their estimates of the flu, we can easily and comfortably estimate that at least twice as many people have Covid as have tested positive. Since people who are ill are being tested, it's pretty easy to conclude that the death rates relative to the infected population are lower than being reported, especially since there seem to be a lot of asymptomatic carriers. That doesn't mean it's not serious, that doesn't mean it's not bad, but this isn't some zombie virus that's going to be the end of all of us, unless you know, it mutates...
MrGrim
Junior
And1: 293

Post#35 » by MrGrim » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:04 am

I'm surprised its not more. The virus appears to be circulating pretty widely in the general population at this point. It's not too surprising. Around 20% of the New York City population tested positive for antibodies as of April even despite their lockdown. And, this might make me a "denier" for typing this, I don't really care, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't see any NBA players have long term injuries or ill effects from this, thank god. Boxing already had two fighters test positive, one was symptomatic, and both are now scheduled to fight on July 14th. We've had reports of athletes testing positive with this going back to March. The simple fact is that individuals in the age group NBA players generally don't die or develop severe symptoms from SARS-COV-2. Ironically, its part of why the disease is so hard to contain compared to a disease like SARS-COV-1 which, if you caught it, you were at the very least in for a rough ride. I'm not saying the disease doesn't exist, isn't serious, or that the situation is good, but those are just the facts. I'm more worried about the coaching staff and non-athlete employees, who are of more heterogeneous ages and physical conditions, than I am about the players.

And for what its worth, I still doubt this plan is going to work because it will take just one infection to break the "bubble". I just don't see how you can have games or playoff series where half of a team might not be able to play due to being in quarantine.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#36 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:57 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/sports/coronavirus-survivors-athletes.html

Ben O’Donnell, a triathlete who lives in Anoka County, Minn., lost 45 pounds during a four-week hospital stay during which he was placed on a ventilator and a short-term life support machine.

And others. People won't stop downplaying this and its insanity.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:24 am

JohnPferdelack wrote:- J. Parker
- B. Hield
- M. Brodgdon
- N. Jokic

who else?

The NBA is finished as is all sports professional and college. Looks like the kids will have to find some other way to go to college now, no more athletic scholarships! Maybe they will have to learn to read and do math or find other ways to make money!!
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#38 » by Triples333 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:31 am

bondom34 wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/sports/coronavirus-survivors-athletes.html

Ben O’Donnell, a triathlete who lives in Anoka County, Minn., lost 45 pounds during a four-week hospital stay during which he was placed on a ventilator and a short-term life support machine.

These are the 1 in a multi-million case(s) where a younger (38 I believe) healthy person proves susceptible to the virus to the point of flirting with death. They're certainly scary, but far, FAR from something healthy younger people should expect to experience (or know of anyone around them in this demographic to experience). It will be very interesting after his blood work is finished to (hopefully) identify what it is about his system that failed where the vast majority in his demographic show mild to zero symptoms. It could go a ways to further identify the non-elderly susceptible and how to best treat them.

People seem to have a very hard time grappling with the fact that this is A) a very serious virus that we need to take the necessary precautions to protect against by all reasonable means necessary and B) not allowing it to drive fear into all of society to the point of tens of thousands of businesses being ruined due to irrational mass/blanket shutdowns.

Extraordinary anomalies like this man aside (that you will find with literally all viruses), we have clearly identified the smaller subset of the population that this virus is truly dangerous towards (65+ and immune deficient), and those are the ones that all of our efforts should be focused on taking care of. Luckily, the most prone to serious illness/death are those that are often already out of the workforce and already receiving government aid. We could have saved thousands upon thousands of small businesses (absolutely destroying countless lives... a horrible phenomenon that won't be truly felt in the states until these UI boosts are removed in 3 weeks and peoples savings run dry) and trillions of dollars had we done this 4 months ago (as I have been saying for >4 months).
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#39 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Deny the pandemic online if you must though it's beyond bizarre with all the evidence we have at this point. Just make sure you stay at home and wear a mask when you go out. Don't let your ignorance harm yourself or others.

Yep looks like the NBA and all sports are done for, never gonna be another game of any kind, let's just turn the stadiums into giant Mausoleum's! I'm about over the whole thing cartoon network here I come.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#40 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:38 am

Triples333 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/sports/coronavirus-survivors-athletes.html

These are the 1 in a multi-million case(s) where a younger (38 I believe) healthy person proves susceptible to the virus to the point of flirting with death. They're certainly scary, but far, FAR from something healthy younger people should expect to experience (or know of anyone around them in this demographic to experience). It will be very interesting after his blood work is finished to (hopefully) identify what it is about his system that failed where the vast majority in his demographic show mild to zero symptoms. It could go a ways to further identify the non-elderly susceptible and how to best treat them.

People seem to have a very hard time grappling with the fact that this is A) a very serious virus that we need to take the necessary precautions to protect against by all reasonable means necessary and B) not allowing it to drive fear into all of society to the point of tens of thousands of businesses being ruined due to irrational mass/blanket shutdowns.

Extraordinary anomalies like this man aside (that you will find with literally all viruses), we have clearly identified the smaller subset of the population that this virus is truly dangerous towards (65+ and immune deficient), and those are the ones that all of our efforts should be focused on taking care of. We could have saved thousands upon thousands of small businesses (absolutely destroying countless lives) and trillions of dollars had we done this 4 months ago (as I have been saying for >4 months).

The point of the post was to note that there are possible (not probable, but possible) career ending or altering effects. And I've noticed some people have a terrible time grasping this is dangerous and a lot of people died and are hurt. Also didn't note NFL players and NCAA football who were harmed. Or Mike Schultz. But hey we're bored with a virus so sports!

I'm sorry but if you're downplaying this pandemic right now, that's bad. Being sorry rather than safe is the opposite of the right idea. The purpose of posting that link was to note it's possible. Not probable, but possible. That's it, that's all.

Edit: And if you'd like to continue to argue it, the CA board is the place, at this point I'm realizing some people aren't going to hear otherwise and keep downplaying it no matter how much cases rise or how many die. And no, the whole thing about lockdowns has been pretty false but whatever. If people are still denying it it's a lost cause.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to The General Board