List: Covid19-Bois

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: List: Covid19-Bois 

Post#41 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:43 am

Seems to be some debate on if this is true....

At Least 4 Sacramento Kings Players Test Positive For Coronavirus

at least 4 players have tested positive for COVID-19. The unnamed players will self-isolate for 14 days and will need two negative tests before entering the facility or before heading to Orlando, FL

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/06/24/sacrametno-kings-coronavirus-jabari-parker/

Cunningham says it has been debunked.

Read on Twitter
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#42 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 am

blind prophet wrote:Seems to be some debate on if this is true....

At Least 4 Sacramento Kings Players Test Positive For Coronavirus

at least 4 players have tested positive for COVID-19. The unnamed players will self-isolate for 14 days and will need two negative tests before entering the facility or before heading to Orlando, FL

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/06/24/sacrametno-kings-coronavirus-jabari-parker/

Cunningham says it has been debunked.

Read on Twitter

Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#43 » by Mister Ze » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 am

Id be concerned with allowing anyone 50+ into the bubble; mainly coaches.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,458

Post#44 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:04 am

Mister Ze wrote:Id be concerned with allowing anyone 50+ into the bubble; mainly coaches.

Refs, doctors, trainers....

blows my mind how many people seem to miss that a team isn't just 12 basketball players all under 45.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#45 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:15 am

A lot of assumptions ITT about athletes, not being able to catch COVID multiple times and length of quarantine required to recover.

I present to you Paulo Dybala, star footballer for Juventus

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/juventus-dybala-finally-recovers-from-coronavirus-after-four-positive-tests

He tested positive 4 times and had latent COVID-19 for 2 months before he finally got cleared.

Not that a singular case means much, as it's still anecdotal, but it shows COVID-19 can still affect elite athletes in extreme ways.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#46 » by JB2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:20 am

jlokine wrote:
JB2 wrote:
JohnPferdelack wrote:I think the teams don't want to publish the severity.

Willing to bet athletes in peak physical condition are not suffering severe symptoms

cool story, bro.. did you forget that these athletes in peak physical condition are human beings and they have families and children who their grandparents would like to see and play with not through an ipad?

Are we saying "cool story, bro" in 2020? Did you miss my point?
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#47 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 am

A. Len is new in the list
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#48 » by JN61 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 am

LKN wrote:
gipper08 wrote:Once we get to 50-75 nba players who had the virus and none of them even are admitted to the hospital then will you guys finally admit this virus' lethality is overblown?

Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

Not saying we should downplay this stuff but I'm pretty sure each year more than that die to common flu. Granted most are old people but a lot of same is here. maybe not as extreme case as with flu.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,379

Post#49 » by svart » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:02 am

JN61 wrote:
LKN wrote:
gipper08 wrote:Once we get to 50-75 nba players who had the virus and none of them even are admitted to the hospital then will you guys finally admit this virus' lethality is overblown?

Not saying we should downplay this stuff but I'm pretty sure each year more than that die to common flu. Granted most are old people but a lot of same is here. maybe not as extreme case as with flu.

ok.

for all of you that are comparing covid-19 with the flu, one simple question:

why is that the hospitals are full with covid patients with severe symptoms if it's just the flu?

In my country in come of the largest cities the hospitals are completely full, they need to use hospitals from other counties which are not so affected.

and it's the same in other parts of the world.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
bidde
Senior
And1: 455

Post#50 » by bidde » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:39 am

JN61 wrote:
LKN wrote:

You are very wrong. CDC estimates flu deaths to be well below 100,000 for each of the last 9 seasons where an estimate is published:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

Furthermore this is an apples to oranges comparison. Covid deaths are for the most part laboratory confirmed cases only, not at all adjusted for any people that might have died without being tested, while the flu death estimates specifically adjust for that:

We first look at how many in-hospital deaths were observed in FluSurv-NET. The in-hospital deaths are adjusted for under-detection of influenza using methods similar to those described above for hospitalizations using data on the frequency and sensitivity of influenza testing. Second, because not all deaths related to influenza occur in the hospital, we use death certificate data to estimate how likely deaths are to occur outside the hospital. We look at death certificates that have pneumonia or influenza causes (P&I), other respiratory and circulatory causes (R&C), or other non-respiratory, non-circulatory causes of death, because deaths related to influenza may not have influenza listed as a cause of death. We use information on the causes of death from FluSurv-NET to determine the mixture of P&I, R&C, and other coded deaths to include in our investigation of death certificate data. Finally, once we estimate the proportion of influenza-associated deaths that occurred outside of the hospital, we can estimate the deaths-to-hospitalization ratio.

If we would just look at deaths where influenza was actually confirmed by testing, it probably is below 10,000 most seasons.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#51 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:55 am

KrAzY3 wrote:
LKN wrote:Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

Well, there's a lot to suggest that the number of deaths are inflated, and there are even monetary incentives to do so. That aside, yes that's a lot of deaths.

However, there have been years in the US where over 50,000 people died from the flu. The reason no one freaked out was due to the fact that there might have been 30 or 40 million with the flu, meaning a lot of people caught it and a relatively small number of those people died. In many cases, the people who died had other complications, so it wasn't that the flu killed a healthy person, it was that the flu killed a person who was likely to die from any major illness or complication they encountered.

In this case, where people without symptoms are being tested regularly, we're seeing that a lot of them in fact have the virus. Ordinarily they aren't being tested, so clearly we have a segment of the population that has the virus but no ill effects. It is reasonable to conclude that more healthy people have this than the data reflects, and that healthy people are really at a very low risk to die from this. We can show appropriate concern but also have appropriate understanding.

Medicine is socialized all over most of the world, except the US. They have no such incentive. Are they all lying for another reason? And all these people lying, with no shred of proof, inflating numbers of deaths... when have you ever seen more than two people keep anything secret?

That said... no they aren’t inflating it, that’s just right wing conspiracy theory.

Quite frankly, to anyone that cared to think about this for a second, there’s even far more incentive to make the number lower. People do vote after all and it is coming up during elections for sure. And performance is going to be a big part of any decision assuming you’re capable of actually making a decision and not just following a previous bias. Which brings me to this....

That said....Why do people feel the need to try to lie to themselves, and believe items that are obviously not true in order to justify their previous decisions? Why treat politics like a sports team? Why argue for these people and put their lies on yourself? Why dig the hole so deep? Those are rhetorical questions.

Edit; And for **** sakes.., people that appear healthy with the seasonal flu are contagious, why are you trying to make this an issue in your next post when it’s something we have seen forever. The only difference is it’s presymtomatic AND assymptomatic now. When did people ever quarantine for two weeks with a common cold or flu before? The entire strawman and tangent to justify any of it makes no **** sense.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#52 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 am

WHITE_HOT_HEAT wrote:
LKN wrote:

Imagine posting 100,000 people have died without posting the total number of people who were infected and the ratio of people corresponding to their age and athletic activity.

Even an idiot can google worldometer and see facts and running totals and shouldn’t expect it force fed when they should have it bookmarked by now.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#53 » by JN61 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:10 am

svart wrote:
JN61 wrote:
LKN wrote:

ok.

for all of you that are comparing covid-19 with the flu, one simple question:

why is that the hospitals are full with severe symptoms if it's just the flu?

In my country in come of the largest cities the hospitals are completely full, they need to use hospitals from other counties which are not so affected.

and it's the same in other parts of the world.

what are you babbling about.

Don't be condescending toward other RGMers.
-Sammy
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,219

Post#54 » by itrsteve » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:17 am

Oh cool! I can't wait to discuss covid on the internet.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,458

Post#55 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 am

JN61 wrote:
LKN wrote:

No they don't. The CDC estimates 12-61k die annually of the flu in the US, since 2010. The 100k happened in about 3 months, not a year. We haven't locked down the country to prevent the spread of the common flu.

I seriously am concerned people are still trying to compare this to the flu in terms of deaths. The world has taken measures that virtually nobody alive today has ever seen before in their life time and the death toll is staggeringly high. Add in this insane idea that these numbers are NORMAL for the flu?
Science Lover
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#56 » by Science Lover » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am

TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains facts that some may find upsetting. Those allergic to logic and rationality may find it hazardous to their mental health. Read with caution.

Read on Twitter

The full chart:

This further confirms what well-informed people already knew: this virus which Communist China forced on the world is exceptionally harsh to the elderly, and little more than a basic flu to the non-elderly.

This also makes it clear what the obvious solution is: protect the high-risk, and let the rest of society go back to normal, at which point we'll hit herd immunity in a matter of months. Waiting on a vaccine that may never come is not a valid solution. The world will crumble before that happens.

Just please, for God's sake, tell me no more governors will be forcing infected patients into nursing homes, like we saw with a quintet of left-wing governors earlier in the outbreak:

WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#57 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:29 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
WHITE_HOT_HEAT wrote:
LKN wrote:

Imagine posting 100,000 people have died without posting the total number of people who were infected and the ratio of people corresponding to their age and athletic activity.

Even an idiot can google worldometer and see facts and running totals and shouldn’t expect it force fed when they should have it bookmarked by now.

Then don't be an idiot and post numbers without context.
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#58 » by ShotCreator » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:40 am

KrAzY3 wrote:
Spoiler:
CoP wrote:No there isn't.

Yes there is, there are numerous incidents in which Covid was being written on the death certificate without any sort of proof it actually contributed to the death. In some cases it was pretty obviously not the cause of death. While I understand why, this was being determined as cause of death sometimes from a distance. That's not medically sound practice, but if you just start writing Covid on all the death certificates, it is a heck of a lot easier, especially when you have an elevated number of cases to deal with. That aside, my main point wasn't the number of deaths but the number relative to the actual number of people who caught the virus. Remember the original post mentioned how lethal the virus is.

GTR11 wrote:Many people die not because flu was main cause, they die because they also had something along that led their system to fail.

Since some people seem to think discussing things realistically is denying the existence or something, let me make my stance clear. The numbers are misleading in large part due to the fact that not everyone is tested. Basically every time they do mass testing on a group of healthy individuals, they find quite a few testing positive (I would add this means people in general are not being cautious enough). You can extrapolate that out to the general population and realize that there are a significant portion of the population that have the virus and no symptoms. I can point to my wife's workplace, where they've had several people test positive and no one seriously ill, I can point to my favorite college team where several players have tested positive once they got on campus, and none of them seemed aware they were ill.

So, we're at the point where if I go out and test 100 healthy people at random, I'm pretty much certain to find a few who have the virus. Those are not reflected in any of the numbers though, because they are only going with confirmed cases, not estimates. Since people might not be getting my main point, I'll just use some CDC info to explain what I'm getting at.

With the flu, the CDC provides estimates in their data: "CDC uses a mathematical model to estimate the numbers of influenza illnesses"

That's a big deal, because they are not just listing confirmed cases! So their rate of deaths for the flu is not off of confirmed cases, in fact they estimate less than half the people with the flu go to the hospital (so it will never be a confirmed case) and of those only a smaller percentage will be hospitalized, and of those only a smaller percentage will die from the illness. Most people who die from the flu, were on death's door to begin with so to speak. Unlike HIV which if unchecked will kill a perfectly healthy person, the odds of a perfectly healthy person dying of the flu are extremely low. And in terms of Covid, the odds of a perfectly healthy person dying from it also seem to be quite low. At risk people would be a whole other conversation.

So, anyway just going off the the way the CDC works their estimates of the flu, we can easily and comfortably estimate that at least twice as many people have Covid as have tested positive. Since people who are ill are being tested, it's pretty easy to conclude that the death rates relative to the infected population are lower than being reported, especially since there seem to be a lot of asymptomatic carriers. That doesn't mean it's not serious, that doesn't mean it's not bad, but this isn't some zombie virus that's going to be the end of all of us, unless you know, it mutates...
All that effort to post this nonsense and you ignore the insane spike of “pneumonia” deaths in every state of this country.
Swinging for the fences.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#59 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am

itrsteve wrote:Oh cool! I can't wait to discuss covid on the internet.

why not?
It is the hotest topic worldwide.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#60 » by LKN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:03 pm

JN61 wrote:
LKN wrote:

No - we've already doubled typical flu deaths (and given undercounting of deaths it's probably even worse) in a few months despite fairly drastic social distancing measures.

I think that's lost on a lot of people. If we locked down for the flu like we have COVID-19 we'd likely have only a few thousand flu related deaths per year.

Return to The General Board