Deandre Jordan has tested positive for Covid-19 and will not play

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Deandre Jordan has tested positive for Covid-19 and will not play 

Post#1 » by BladeDaywalker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 am

Read on Twitter
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Re: Deandre Jordan has tested positive for Covid-19 and will not play 

Post#2 » by BladeDaywalker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:58 am

Also, Spencer Dinwiddie has also tested positive

Read on Twitter
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#3 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 am

Why is this disqualifying them a month before the season starts?
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#4 » by magee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Why is this disqualifying them a month before the season starts?

It seems like a personal decision for Jordan, the way his tweet reads.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#5 » by C3H6N6O6 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 am

Does it matter if he plays or not? He is one of the softest players in the league when you take into account how athletically gifted he is. Anyone as athletic as him should have won multiple DPoY awards by now.
CP3 tried to make Blake and Deandre tough but they hated him for it. Same is true for Harden.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 am

I guess players who participated in the recent protests has a higher chance of getting infected.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#7 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 am

Option A: this is a knee-jerk reaction on his part. After the initial shock and emotions, he'll realize that after being sick and recovering, the team will still not be in Orlando and he will have the anti-bodies already so the risk of re-infection is much smaller.

Option B: He already didn't want to go in the first place. He has a long-term deal, he has enough money, and he's not motivated to ramp up and get back into game shape to go play in this bubble environment for the 7th seeded Nets who are already without their 2 best players and have pretty much thrown in the towel on the season since before it even started (at least Kyrie/KD and probably him).

He can still play if he wants too. It won't make a major difference either way and if anything Allen and Claxton will get some more run to show what they can do. I have a feeling Claxton is gonna prove he's worth those minutes too. Per 36 of 13/8.5/3.1 and plays with a ton of energy.
Go Knicks!
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,335

Post#8 » by Ckay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 am

JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,101

Post#9 » by JB2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:32 am

Scalabrine wrote:Option A: this is a knee-jerk reaction on his part. After the initial shock and emotions, he'll realize that after being sick and recovering, the team will still not be in Orlando and he will have the anti-bodies already so the risk of re-infection is much smaller.

Option B: He already didn't want to go in the first place. He has a long-term deal, he has enough money, and he's not motivated to ramp up and get back into game shape to go play in this bubble environment for the 7th seeded Nets who are already without their 2 best players and have pretty much thrown in the towel on the season since before it even started (at least Kyrie/KD and probably him).

He can still play if he wants too. It won't make a major difference either way and if anything Allen and Claxton will get some more run to show what they can do. I have a feeling Claxton is gonna prove he's worth those minutes too. Per 36 of 13/8.5/3.1 and plays with a ton of energy.

Willing to bet it was option B
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#10 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:43 am

Scalabrine wrote:Option A: this is a knee-jerk reaction on his part. After the initial shock and emotions, he'll realize that after being sick and recovering, the team will still not be in Orlando and he will have the anti-bodies already so the risk of re-infection is much smaller.

Maybe the fact that he'll be out for the next two weeks means that he won't have time to prepare adequately.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#11 » by dlts20 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 am

The Nets guys don't want to play anyways. Probably hoping the Wiz jump them and they get a lottery pick
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#12 » by DarkXaero » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:55 am

Catchall wrote:

Maybe the fact that he'll be out for the next two weeks means that he won't have time to prepare adequately.
This. It takes time to recover from covid, if you're not asymptomatic. He isn't going to be 100% in two weeks time, and he'll have also missed out on a good chunk of training camp. Factor in the congested schedule of Orlando bubble, and it makes perfect sense from a health perspective to skip this joke of a season.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#13 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:57 am

So Kyrie is out, DAJ is out, and Dinwiddie is on the fence. Imagine if other teams start losing 2 or 3 key players.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#14 » by Pantsman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 am

Did the entire nets team get covid??
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#15 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Catchall wrote:

This. It takes time to recover from covid, if you're not asymptomatic. He isn't going to be 100% in two weeks time, and he'll have also missed out on a good chunk of training camp. Factor in the congested schedule of Orlando bubble, and it makes perfect sense from a health perspective to skip this joke of a season.

I had Covid in March and I was 100% in 2 weeks. Not saying everyone is the same, but this guy is in way better physical shape than me and has way better health care/supervision than I do. I was working out at my house and riding my bike maybe 5 days after I first felt symptoms. If he really wants to play he can make it happen. Notice how Dinwiddie hasnt ruled himself out yet?
Go Knicks!
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#16 » by DarkXaero » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:16 am

Scalabrine wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Catchall wrote:

I had Covid in March and I was 100% in 2 weeks. Not saying everyone is the same, but this guy is in way better physical shape than me and has way better health care/supervision than I do. I was working out at my house and riding my bike maybe 5 days after I first felt symptoms. If he really wants to play he can make it happen. Notice how Dinwiddie hasnt ruled himself out yet?
I'm glad you recovered well but it does not work like that for everyone. Just because DJ's a pro athlete and in great shape, doesn't mean that he's gonna recover easier/better. Gobert just came out and said that months later, he still doesn't have his sense of smell back. Dinwiddie isn't asymptomatic either, he said he has had fever and chest tightness. We don't know if DJ is asymptomatic or not. And we also cannot compare you being back riding your bike to the type of shape you need to be in to play professional basketball.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#17 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 am

Scalabrine wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Catchall wrote:

No one knows how long the effects last. Gobert STILL hasn’t fully regained his sense of smell, for example.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#18 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:This. It takes time to recover from covid, if you're not asymptomatic. He isn't going to be 100% in two weeks time, and he'll have also missed out on a good chunk of training camp. Factor in the congested schedule of Orlando bubble, and it makes perfect sense from a health perspective to skip this joke of a season.

I'm glad you recovered well but it does not work like that for everyone. Just because DJ's a pro athlete and in great shape, doesn't mean that he's gonna recover easier/better. Gobert just came out and said that months later, he still doesn't have his sense of smell back. Dinwiddie isn't asymptomatic either, he said he has had fever and chest tightness. We don't know if DJ is asymptomatic or not. And we also cannot compare you being back riding your bike to the type of shape you need to be in to play professional basketball.

See bolded where I said exactly what you said.

I also think that me riding my bike is closer than what you think. I wasn't even able to go to the doctor when I had it. I tested positive and 11 DAYS later got my results back. By then I was already 100%. This was in the infancy stage in mid March (about an hour and a half from NYC) and they pretty much told me to go home and don't leave my house until the results come back and if syptoms get way worse to go to the hospital.

Not only is this guy not already in WAAAY better physical shape than me. He also has the training staff, and medical expertise to make sure he is in the best care that money can buy AND their is way more research out there to work with. Again, I didn't even get to see a doctor.

Thanks for the well wishes though. Maybe I'm a tad jealous that he can just decide not to go back to work and still make the vast majority of his pay check and I was back working 15ish days later (and working from home while I had it).
Go Knicks!
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#19 » by The Duke » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:31 am

Just wondering, if a player attempts to play (goes thru the testing phase), and gets a positive test, makes the personal choice to not play to ensure the safety of his teammates, is he getting paid the final 8 games?
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#20 » by leolozon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:36 am

They should have gone with best of 16, get rid of the Wizards and Suns, and allow the Blazers, Pels or Kings the possibility to overthrow the Nets and Magic, it would have been a lot more exciting.... I can't believe the crippled Nets or the Wizards are going to make the playoffs. The only reason the Wizards are there is because they needed someone in the East to fight for a playoff spot.

Return to The General Board