Why didn’t Utah attack “sick” MJ or crippled Pippen?

Moderators: bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez

magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 185

Re: Why didn’t Utah attack “sick” MJ or crippled Pippen? 

Post#21 » by magee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:26 pm

Stockton may not have been an elite scorer along the CP3/Nash lines, but he could score when needed. And he was one of the nastiest pick-setters in the NBA, regardless of position, when he played.
PistolPeteJR
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#22 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:33 pm

G35 wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:John Stockton was not an elite scorer.

John Stockton is canonized by the American Media, but its always been my assertion that if the Utah Jazz had a point guard that could score 25- 30 points a game ala Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul, Steve Nash or Steph Curry they would have had the offensive fire power to be able to defeat the Bulls.

The Utah Jazz did not have enough offensive fire power outside of Karl Malone to be able to put complete offensive pressure on the Bulls.
It's one of the biggest reasons they never won a title.

Steve Nash and Chris Paul have never been to the finals and they had more talent on their teams than the Jazz.

Curry and Isiah had some of the deepest teams ever, whereas the Jazz were pretty much a 1,2 punch with a little bit of Hornacek mixed in.

The Jazz overachieved imo, compared to the talent of most title winning teams. They were a very good defensive team and a lot of that was due to the identity of Jerry Sloan, Malone and Stockton.....

Lol what? Malone was not a great defender.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,207

Post#23 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:10 pm

Because that would have been a poor strategy. Would you rather break your offense and have Hornacek, Russell, and Shandon Anderson attack Jordan and Pippen or would you have Stockton and Malone do what got you to the NBA finals?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Brofessor24
Senior
And1: 314

Post#24 » by Brofessor24 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm

Jonny Blaze wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:John Stockton was not an elite scorer. John Stockton is canonized by the American Media, but its always been my assertion that if the Utah Jazz had a point guard that could score 25- 30 points a game ala Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul, Steve Nash or Steph Curry they would have had the offensive fire power to be able to defeat the Bulls.

I get where you're trying to go but if Stockton stopped playing PO games at age 35, his career playoff scoring average would be pretty similar to Nash's (both around 16-17 ppg). And it looks like Nash scored 30 pts in a game a handful of times in 120+ playoff games.

Also Stockton is canonized by the American media because he was an absurdly good NBA point who ran some of the best NBA offenses for like 20 years straight, while playing tough defense. He's not 'overrated' because there's one thing you wish he could've done better.

If John Stockton was talented enough (hint...he was not) to do what Steve Nash did against Dallas in the 2005 playoffs the jazz would have been able to beat the Bulls in 1997 and 1998.

What about all the other years the Jazz were in the playoffs? They regularly fell short in the post season because their second best player was just an okay scoring threat.

The reason the Jazz never won an NBA title was that John Stockton couldn't create his own shot, and was not an elite scorer.
There is a youtube video by I think a guy named Rustybuckets where he states an assertion that I've agreed with for over 30 years.....which is that pass first point guards (that can't score) are generally overrated.

The point guards that have won multiple titles(Magic, Curry, Isaiah) are the ones that are great scorers....that can also pass the rock and facilitate an offense. Not the other way around.

If John Stockton didn't play with Karl Malone no one would have ever heard of him. He would be Mark Price...and Price was a great player back in the day.

and look before all the Stockton lovers jump me....he was a very good player. Im not taking that away from him. But when I see Stockton ranked as a top 20 or top 30 player of all time? Laughable.

I agree with your take. There is a reason why Stockton never finished top 5 in MVP voting at any point in his career.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 5,102

Post#25 » by DirtyDez » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:21 am

HomoSapien wrote:Because that would have been a poor strategy. Would you rather break your offense and have Hornacek, Russell, and Shandon Anderson attack Jordan and Pippen or would you have Stockton and Malone do what got you to the NBA finals?

If I’m averaging 80 ppg that way I’ll try something different. Stockton was clearly breaking down by the finals.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
thedarkstark
Veteran
And1: 820

Post#26 » by thedarkstark » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:20 am

Jonny Blaze wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:John Stockton was not an elite scorer. John Stockton is canonized by the American Media, but its always been my assertion that if the Utah Jazz had a point guard that could score 25- 30 points a game ala Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul, Steve Nash or Steph Curry they would have had the offensive fire power to be able to defeat the Bulls.

I get where you're trying to go but if Stockton stopped playing PO games at age 35, his career playoff scoring average would be pretty similar to Nash's (both around 16-17 ppg). And it looks like Nash scored 30 pts in a game a handful of times in 120+ playoff games.

Also Stockton is canonized by the American media because he was an absurdly good NBA point who ran some of the best NBA offenses for like 20 years straight, while playing tough defense. He's not 'overrated' because there's one thing you wish he could've done better.

This video is utter non-sense, I'm a Bulls fan and certainly not a fan of Stockton but the fact is that he was an insantely efficient shooter especially for a guy who is 6'1, if he were able to hoist 3 pointers with reckless abandon as todays NBA PG's do he'd average 22 points a game easily.

He's every bit as good as Steve Nash was in his prime but he played for a slower tempo defensive minded team and not for Mike D'Antoni.

Now having said that: at this point in his career (97/98 finals) he wasn't going to beat MJ or Scottie 1 on 1 no matter how sick or tired they were, he was 35 years old and they both towered over him. Also as others have said it wouldn't work within the Jazz gameplan, they lived and died by the PnR.

Return to The General Board