8th 9th Seed in the west.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Re: 8th 9th Seed in the west. 

Post#41 » by Sactowndog » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:46 am

Most have crowned the Pels for the 9th seed. The Kings are an afterthought among the national media. Here is why you might want to consider them:

1) Kings were 7-3 the last 10 games with two wins over Memphis and a win over the Clippers.

2) FIBA Bogi, Bogdanovic has not had 4 months off since 2016. He played every summer with Serbia and was often worn down by the middle of the season with nagging injuries. A rested and heathy Bogi could be dangerous to go on a hot streak.

3) the return of Marvin and Richaun. Both guys were injured and we can expect to see them back in the rotation.

4) Schedule luck. All kings players plan on playing. Meanwhile the Nets game on a back to back is looking less challenging, no WCS to go off against the former Kings, no Aldridge for the Spurs, and the short handed Lakers may well prefer to lose to the Kings and play them instead of the Pels or Blazers in round 1.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#42 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:41 am

celticfan42487 wrote:The only person that cares about the 8th seed in the West is the NBA marketing department.

They made this entire thing to get Zion in there.

Then they did a horrific job we're almost certain to not get in lol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#43 » by Smirk » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:20 pm

I'm so sick of this meme that the league did the Pelicans some freaking favor. Its a flat out lie.

The Pelicans are significantly worse off than they would have been, the Grizzlies are in significantly better shape. Those are facts. The Pelicans had 18 games with the easiest schedule to make up, now they have 8 with a harder schedule than they would have. Theirs got 5% harder. The grizz got 2% harder.

There was always going to be more than 16 teams because of money and competitiveness. They have to fulfill local TV contracts and national TV contracts or they are in terrible shape. They also need at least a few warmup games.

Yes, I'm sure the Grizzlies fans are upset that they don't get to completely skip the hardest schedules in the league, that the Pelicans already had to play.

Get over it. The Grizzlies are still likely going to get the 8 seed in this format. They were essentially gifted it. And that's fine.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#44 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:27 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:The only person that cares about the 8th seed in the West is the NBA marketing department.

They did everything they could for Zion. They can only do so much beyond changing the actual record of his team.
Smirk
Starter

Post#45 » by Smirk » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:57 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

They did everything they could for Zion. They can only do so much beyond changing the actual record of his team.

I know people who believe this might not have the best reasoning capability, but there’s no reality where this is true.

The Pelicans are in significantly worse shape than before the shutdown. The Grizzlies are in much better shape. The statistical models reflect that.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#46 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:49 pm

Smirk wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

I know people who believe this might not have the best reasoning capability, but there’s no reality where this is true.

The Pelicans are in significantly worse shape than before the shutdown. The Grizzlies are in much better shape. The statistical models reflect that.

Whatever helps your denial.
donato
Junior
And1: 611

Post#47 » by donato » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:02 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Smirk wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

lolz. Nice troll job. :lol:
Smirk
Starter

Post#48 » by Smirk » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:27 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Smirk wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Pathetic. :lol:
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#49 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:58 pm

Just looking at the standings/schedules I lean toward the Grizz/Pels. But then I factor Nurk's return/the Dame factor... No disrespect to the Grizz but gun to my head they're the odd team out. Love what they've done but their youth scares me.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#50 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:15 am

Smirk wrote:I'm so sick of this meme that the league did the Pelicans some freaking favor. Its a flat out lie.

The Pelicans are significantly worse off than they would have been, the Grizzlies are in significantly better shape. Those are facts. The Pelicans had 18 games with the easiest schedule to make up, now they have 8 with a harder schedule than they would have. Theirs got 5% harder. The grizz got 2% harder.

There was always going to be more than 16 teams because of money and competitiveness. They have to fulfill local TV contracts and national TV contracts or they are in terrible shape. They also need at least a few warmup games.

Yes, I'm sure the Grizzlies fans are upset that they don't get to completely skip the hardest schedules in the league, that the Pelicans already had to play.

Get over it. The Grizzlies are still likely going to get the 8 seed in this format. They were essentially gifted it. And that's fine.

Sure some fans are upset, but honestly the majority of Grizz fans acknowledge that our chances of making the playoffs in this format are better than if we had played out the season. The one minor change some would have liked would have been teams needing to be within 3 games instead of within 4 to trigger the play-in, but that isn't a big deal.

I think Memphis will find a way to hold the 8th seed, but they are young and hella unproven. Them going 2-6 and not even making the play-in wouldn't be all that surprising.
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#51 » by HollowEarth » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:36 am

King4Day wrote:Not that anyone cares about the Suns, but Phoenix plays 0 teams that they are chasing to have any playoff chance.
The Suns could go 8-0 and there's still a good chance they miss out.
Yeah, but this is 2020. All the other teams could be devastated by a plague or stung up by murder hornets. Kevin Garnett's slogan is finally true in a dark way: anything is possible.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#52 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:46 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Smirk wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

You think it's easier to make the playoffs with 8 games to make up 3.5, against better teams than it would with 18 games against worse teams? :lol:

Whatever helps your butthurt and denial.

Edit: I honestly didn't care or think the Pels should get into the playoffs before all this, but now I want them to get in just to watch the cryfest from people still sour about Zion.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Sactowndog

Post#53 » by Sactowndog » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:20 pm

Actually the thing I like best is the draft standings being frozen and we get to still go play. It will be nice watching them try to win without caring they are Fing up a draft slot.
Smirk
Starter

Post#54 » by Smirk » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:31 pm

The players don’t care about messing up a draft slot. That’s another guy coming to take your job. The coaches don’t care either. They are judged on wins.

Only execs and owners care about that.
Sactowndog

Post#55 » by Sactowndog » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:50 pm

Updated with more data and added Spurs
Sactowndog wrote:Most of the articles and podcasts have done a terrible job of covering the 8th-9th seed in the west.

Here are the schedules

Pels play: Utah, LAC, Memphis, SAC (2 days rest), Wash (B2B), SAS, SAC, ORL. Current record: 28-36

Sac plays: SAS, ORL, Dallas, NOP, BKN (B2B), HOU, NOP, LAL Current record: 28-36

Portland plays: MEM, BOS, HOU, DEN, LAC, Phil (B2B), Dallas, Brooklyn Current Record: 29-37

Memphis plays: Por, SAS, NOP (B2B), Utah, OKC, TOR, BOS, MIL
Current record: 32-33

Spurs play: Sac, Mem, 76’ers (B2B), Den, UTH, NOP, HOU, UTH
Current record: 27-36

With .5 game difference the Griz and Spurs can’t be tied by Sac, NOP, POR. To lose the 7th spot the Griz would have to go 2-6 while SAC, NOP or POR team will have to go 6-2.

Finding 3 games on the Griz schedule could be tough as Bos - Tor will want the 2 seed, OKC and Utah in 4-5-6 battle and don’t want to slip to 7. SAS, NOP and a resting MIL might be their best hope. If they lose to NOP, they badly want a 1-1 Kings Pels split.

Portland wins any tie on win percentage between SAC or New Orleans. Memphis does the same over SA.

Sac and Pels could be tied. Pels hold a 1 game lead and wins the tie breaker with a 1-1 split. If Pels go 0-2 versus Sac, SAC wins tiebreaker.

LAL can have a big say in the possible 8th seed if Sac beats New Orleans and comes into the LAL game needing the win to stay 1 game ahead of POR. A 5th or 6th win over the LAL could be critical.

Portland and Memphis both want a NO and Sac split which reduces the chance of either going 6-2 and increases the chance of Portland tying them and advancing on percentage.

With Aldridge, multiple Nets and WCS out the Kings are helped. If they can go 2-0 versus Pels 5-3 or 6-2 with LAL resting is possible

With Aldridge, Bertrans and Bogdanovic out the Pels are helped. If they can go 2-0 against the Kings 6-2 or 7-1 is possible.

Standings for drafts don’t change so young teams who are out don’t have reason to tank. The last ORL game for NOP may not be a gimme.

Spurs have to win at least 1 more game than Sac and NOP to advance to 9 which makes winning against SAC, NOP a must.
Sactowndog

Post#56 » by Sactowndog » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:57 pm

Smirk wrote:The players don’t care about messing up a draft slot. That’s another guy coming to take your job. The coaches don’t care either. They are judged on wins.

Only execs and owners care about that.

The Execs can tell the coaches who to play.

Return to The General Board