Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms?

Moderators: Dirk, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, infinite11285, GeorgeMarcus, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, KingDavid, bwgood77

chuck_wagon44
Junior
Posts: 268
And1: 288
Joined: Jan 01, 2019
 

Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#1 » by chuck_wagon44 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Watching the highlights of NBA games has reduced drastically because of all the mismatched colors in games. Teams are now wearing road uniforms at home and the visiting teams are sometimes wearing road uniforms too. It looks so tacky and unprofessional and more importantly, kind of taints the purity of the game in my opinion.

I miss the Lakers wearing Yellow at home and Purple on the road. Watching the current games, they're wearing purple at home and its a different shade of purple than their court purple. Looks baddd. Another example is when the Bulls are wearing black/red at home. Back in the MJ/Pippen era, they only wore whites at home..and it looked so clean and timeless.

The worst part about it is the shoes and teams are wearing odd colors with their uniforms that don't match in any way. The other day I saw a Celtics game where one of the Celtics player was wearing all red shoes. It just looks so off-putting and diminishines the purity of the game.

But go ahead, call me Mr. Get off my lawn.
User avatar
chitownsalesmen
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,005
And1: 1,263
Joined: Apr 16, 2012

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to White uniforms at home and Color Uniforms on the Road? 

Post#2 » by chitownsalesmen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:39 pm

I thought this thread was going a far different direction then it did.
You either pimping the system, or gettin' pimped by the system.
We don't want a piece of the pie we want control of the kitchen.
chuck_wagon44
Junior
Posts: 268
And1: 288
Joined: Jan 01, 2019
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to White uniforms at home and Color Uniforms on the Road? 

Post#3 » by chuck_wagon44 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:41 pm

Here's an example of a Bulls home game with the Jazz..

BOTH TEAMS ARE WEARING THEIR ROAD UNIFORMS!

Image
jk31
Junior
Posts: 316
And1: 192
Joined: Feb 15, 2014
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#4 » by jk31 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:46 pm

So? Don't see why this is bad.
User avatar
Lalouie
General Manager
Posts: 9,402
And1: 4,160
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 pm

uniforms should be,,,,,uniform

it's getting to be like streetball now
User avatar
heatwillbeback
RealGM
Posts: 14,585
And1: 6,586
Joined: Jul 26, 2003
     

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#6 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 pm

I find the color uniforms for the most part to be more interesting. And now you have the great alternates as well. I could watch Heat in the vice jerseys every game.

I don't see a problem. As long as the teams are clearly distinguished.
megalison
Ballboy
Posts: 27
And1: 7
Joined: Feb 19, 2020
         

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#7 » by megalison » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Not sure about other markets, but in Toronto the 'coloured' jerseys sell way better than the 'white' ones. I'm just basing this off of anecdotal observations. So in that case, I think it makes sense for the team to wear what the fans will likely be wearing in the stands.

Realistically, teams should be able to wear whichever jersey they'd like, as long as it contrasts with the other team's.
chuck_wagon44
Junior
Posts: 268
And1: 288
Joined: Jan 01, 2019
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#8 » by chuck_wagon44 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:53 pm

megalison wrote:Not sure about other markets, but in Toronto the 'coloured' jerseys sell way better than the 'white' ones. I'm just basing this off of anecdotal observations. So in that case, I think it makes sense for the team to wear what the fans will likely be wearing in the stands.

Realistically, teams should be able to wear whichever jersey they'd like, as long as it contrasts with the other team's.


The games I go to in Toronto, I see mostly the Purple striped retroes with the Dinosaurs worn mostly in the stands.

Fans generally speaking, will wear home uniforms but sadly, they're not worn much in today's NBA. It gets a little too much color contrasting.

For example, if 2 teams are wearing 2 different tones of red...or 2 different tones of Blue..it just makes for a bad viewing experience.
User avatar
WalkOnAir
Sophomore
Posts: 137
And1: 267
Joined: May 20, 2016
Location: Bay Area
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to White uniforms at home and Color Uniforms on the Road? 

Post#9 » by WalkOnAir » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:54 pm

I agree. I'm old school and prefer the lighter jerseys at home, and darker jerseys on the road.
Image
Wolf of Ball St
Sophomore
Posts: 209
And1: 199
Joined: Jul 16, 2019
Location: MPLS
       

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#10 » by Wolf of Ball St » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 pm

I get the nostalgia and consistency arguments, but I like the variety in jersey matchups these days, especially with most teams having good alternates.

That begin said, anyone have intel on whether the NBA will continue its yearly city edition tradition (new alternate each year)? Could see it as a way for teams to try and swing some additional revenue if fans aren’t in the stands next year, but also may not happen if teams are having to minimize payroll and staffers (like design teams). I’ve got a jersey problem (I have way too many) and this whole new year, new design fad is not good for my wallet :banghead:
User avatar
miamiheat319
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,563
And1: 2,970
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
Location: The Moon
   

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#11 » by miamiheat319 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:37 am

I don’t really mind it. Color on color is better to me than a home team wearing color and the away team wearing white. But it’s not just a Nike thing. Sure, it’s happened more with Nike but I’ve been doing a bunch of research on jerseys lately and even going back 20 years you have instances of color on color or the away team wearing white. What bothers me is when a team has an alternate jersey but not an alternate court to match. Like the Wolves, for example when they had their Prince themed alternates last year, still played on their normal court. So you had a team wearing purple and a team wearing whatever else playing on a navy outlined court. Just not very pleasing to the eye. Teams like the Heat, Jazz, and Kings nailed it.
Proud owner of over 200 NBA jerseys

Heat fan first, former Wolves watcher second
User avatar
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,137
And1: 16,183
Joined: Aug 12, 2008

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#12 » by infinite11285 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:42 am

I'm old school. Give me home whites over any other alternative.
User avatar
My Main Man
Rookie
Posts: 1,095
And1: 2,555
Joined: Mar 12, 2008
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#13 » by My Main Man » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 am

Makes way more sense to wear your colors at home and make the visitors wear white like in virtually every other sport. Always seemed weird to wear a neutral color at home while the road team where’s colors.
User avatar
GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
Posts: 190
And1: 52
Joined: Jan 02, 2015
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#14 » by GooniousMaximus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:15 am

I always thought it should be the opposite, where the home team wears their colors at home and the road team had to wear white or some other alt jersey.

I think the NBA should really scale down on how many alt jerseys there are...3 should be max maybe once in a while a specialty 4th but even thats overkill. (for example the wolves have white, blue, green, which was far too many throw in their MPLS or the Prince ones and it got watered down..though the Prince ones were dope, even they had multiple of those dark and white).

perhaps if two teams have similar color schemes or jersey colors, home teams get first dibs on wearing Team colors or white jersey. idk...it does get little tough to watch (ie mid 90s all start game when players worse their team jerseys, it wasn't terrible).
Jurry
RealGM
Posts: 39,759
And1: 23,581
Joined: Mar 25, 2009

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#15 » by Jurry » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:16 am

It's not a sport, it's a business. They would change the rules to kicking a can around a parking lot if they could make more money from it.
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 11,935
And1: 13,706
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#16 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:41 am

chuck_wagon44 wrote:
megalison wrote:Not sure about other markets, but in Toronto the 'coloured' jerseys sell way better than the 'white' ones. I'm just basing this off of anecdotal observations. So in that case, I think it makes sense for the team to wear what the fans will likely be wearing in the stands.

Realistically, teams should be able to wear whichever jersey they'd like, as long as it contrasts with the other team's.


The games I go to in Toronto, I see mostly the Purple striped retroes with the Dinosaurs worn mostly in the stands.

Fans generally speaking, will wear home uniforms but sadly, they're not worn much in today's NBA. It gets a little too much color contrasting.

For example, if 2 teams are wearing 2 different tones of red...or 2 different tones of Blue..it just makes for a bad viewing experience.
find an example of two shoes of red or blue in the same game
Coco Costanza
Rookie
Posts: 1,217
And1: 2,896
Joined: Jan 13, 2018
   

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#17 » by Coco Costanza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 am

When did this start, anyway? I remember for the longest time the home team wore white, then suddenly it was switched. And it wasn't just the NBA, the NHL started doing it around the same time too.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
HangTime
Veteran
Posts: 2,953
And1: 2,252
Joined: Oct 18, 2011

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#18 » by HangTime » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:09 am

chuck_wagon44 wrote:Watching the highlights of NBA games has reduced drastically because of all the mismatched colors in games. Teams are now wearing road uniforms at home and the visiting teams are sometimes wearing road uniforms too. It looks so tacky and unprofessional and more importantly, kind of taints the purity of the game in my opinion.

I miss the Lakers wearing Yellow at home and Purple on the road. Watching the current games, they're wearing purple at home and its a different shade of purple than their court purple. Looks baddd. Another example is when the Bulls are wearing black/red at home. Back in the MJ/Pippen era, they only wore whites at home..and it looked so clean and timeless.

The worst part about it is the shoes and teams are wearing odd colors with their uniforms that don't match in any way. The other day I saw a Celtics game where one of the Celtics player was wearing all red shoes. It just looks so off-putting and diminishines the purity of the game.

But go ahead, call me Mr. Get off my lawn.


If you can cause a distraction, wearing red shoes with a green jersey, why wouldn't you?

I curious if you were fan of Dennis Rodman's Multi hair colour.
User avatar
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 8,559
And1: 18,427
Joined: Jan 27, 2015
Location: College of Charleston
 

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#19 » by Goudelock » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:10 am

infinite11285 wrote:I'm old school. Give me home whites over any other alternative.


Same. Seeing the Lakers wear purple at home just feels...........wrong.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
EAS Law
Analyst
Posts: 3,393
And1: 3,394
Joined: Nov 01, 2015
     

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#20 » by EAS Law » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:15 am

This thread needs more photos of classic unis

Return to The General Board