Sacramento Kings

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Re: Sacramento Kings 

Post#41 » by realball » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:42 pm

The Kings really needed to hit with their FAs this year before Fox and Hield's extensions came up. Instead they went 1/3 (0 if you consider how overpaid CoJo is). Just more names added to the long list of failed Kings FA signings.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,594

Post#42 » by dc » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:46 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:Hopefully they start getting lucky in the draft after so many missed All-Star picks. Passed up on guys like Steph Curry, Damian Lillard, Luka Doncic, Giannis Antetekounpo, Devin Booker, etc. Just pairing up DeMarcus Cousins with Damian Lillard would have been a huge move.

I would imagine that there's a better chance they would've drafted Lillard had they not drafted Jimmer the prior year. Teams don't typically spend lottery picks on 6'1" guards in consecutive drafts.

IIRC, they also had some strange rationale for drafting Thomas Robinson. Supposedly they were "afraid" that they would lose Jason Thompson in free agency, so they drafted Robinson as a contingecy. It was weird because 1) they had rights to match any offer on Thompson and wound up re-signing him anyways and 2)Thompson wasn't exactly the type of player you'd be "afraid" of losing.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,249

Post#43 » by CraftylikeaFox » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:47 pm

babyjax13 wrote:They aren't a playoff caliber team, and won't be for several more years. I know there are some Kings fans on the forum who are optimistic and think they will make the playoffs next season (and I completely empathize with that), but they need add another high-level young player to grow with Fox (and Bagley, if he is something). Someone who can be top 5 at their position (which I don't think Bagley ever can be, I'd omit him, but I know someone would say something).

I don't think any Kings fans realistically think we are a playoff team this year or next. There was optimism at the end of last season. That was because of Dave Joerger's good rotations and willingness to embrace small ball and pushed pace, where Fox and Hield excelled as a tandem. We also assumed Bagley would be more improved and could contribute in that system as well. Instead we now have a scarecrow as a coach in Luke Walton. In fact, the only thing Walton has done is take away small ball. Bagley hasn't been on the court at all and when he was showed zero improvement. Harrison Barnes no longer cares at all about basketball and just jogs up and down the court for 30 or so minutes a game and then leaves. The rest of our team is mediocre and inconsistent as well, aside from Fox.

Also we have probably the worst GM in the league that will probably wind up trading our future first round picks in bad trades and won't get fired because our owner is just as clueless.
LukaV
Senior
And1: 687

Post#44 » by LukaV » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:50 pm

The sooner they replace Vlade with Hinkie or some other competent GM, the sooner can they start repaying the fans for their continued patience and loyalty. Retain Vlade in some role, but give the highest authority to a more modern-thinking GM.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,594

Post#45 » by dc » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:20 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:I'm a strong believer that Dave Joerger was a damn good NBA coach. Probably Top 10 when he was active. For some reason it seemed like people didn't give him credit for the development of their young guys (namely Fox/Hield) just because he made them earn their keep before handing them the keys (cough Bagley). I blame mgmt more than Bagley (who has the tools to become a fine player) because they cared more about damage control over passing on Luka than instilling a winning culture with the pieces they have. IIRC Bagley's dad was involved somehow? Weird stuff from a largely incompetent owner/GM tandem.

It's been noted several times that Joerger has been known to have poor relations with management in both Memphis and Sac, especially when it comes down to player personnel decisions.

He wanted the Grizz to draft Rodney Hood, and they didn't do that. Then when Hood scored 32 vs the Grizz, Joerger said after the game "Just too much Rodney Hood tonight". Management didn't take kindly to that.

Then right before the Mavs played the Kings, Joerger said of Luka "“I think perhaps there was an idea that there was a ceiling on him? I don’t see it, unfortunately for us." Then after the backlash from that comment, he awkwardly overcompensated for that by calling Fox/Bagley "the next Westbrook and Durant". Basically, he was overly complimentary of players who management passed on, so they were basically backhanded compliments, as far his managements were concerned.

Should also be noted that he once said Hield was better suited as a 6th man/scorer off the bench. Hield and management were pretty upset about that, but he might actually be right about it.

But teams know the history with his interaction with management and how he openly shows them up for decisions that go awry. They don't want a coach who does that them. That's why he hasn't been offered another HC job.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#46 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:14 pm

dc wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:I'm a strong believer that Dave Joerger was a damn good NBA coach. Probably Top 10 when he was active. For some reason it seemed like people didn't give him credit for the development of their young guys (namely Fox/Hield) just because he made them earn their keep before handing them the keys (cough Bagley). I blame mgmt more than Bagley (who has the tools to become a fine player) because they cared more about damage control over passing on Luka than instilling a winning culture with the pieces they have. IIRC Bagley's dad was involved somehow? Weird stuff from a largely incompetent owner/GM tandem.

It's been noted several times that Joerger has been known to have poor relations with management in both Memphis and Sac, especially when it comes down to player personnel decisions.

He wanted the Grizz to draft Rodney Hood, and they didn't do that. Then when Hood scored 32 vs the Grizz, Joerger said after the game "Just too much Rodney Hood tonight". Management didn't take kindly to that.

Then right before the Mavs played the Kings, Joerger said of Luka "“I think perhaps there was an idea that there was a ceiling on him? I don’t see it, unfortunately for us." Then after the backlash from that comment, he awkwardly overcompensated for that by calling Fox/Bagley "the next Westbrook and Durant". Basically, he was overly complimentary of players who management passed on, so they were basically backhanded compliments, as far his managements were concerned.

Should also be noted that he once said Hield was better suited as a 6th man/scorer off the bench. Hield and management were pretty upset about that, but he might actually be right about it.

But teams know the history with his interaction with management and how he openly shows them up for decisions that go awry. They don't want a coach who does that them. That's why he hasn't been offered another HC job.

Interesting. I was aware he didn't get along with mgmt but not the specifics. The way I see it, good mgmt should look past those comments and judge him on the actual responsibilities of a coach. It would be different if he couldn't inspire the players to play for him, but that was never the case. Makes it seem like they have thin skin.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#47 » by tyguy » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:30 pm

dc wrote:

Essentially he doesn't believe in beating around the bush and tells uncomfortable truths. Id rather have a straight shooter that's a dick, but a very good coach than a parade of yes men.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#48 » by rpa » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:33 pm

Opinion from a former Kings fan:

Garbage organization from the very top on down that deserves every single failure that falls on them. Nothing's going to change until the fans start to rebel and refuse to watch or goto the games.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#49 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:50 pm

rpa wrote:Opinion from a former Kings fan:

Garbage organization from the very top on down that deserves every single failure that falls on them. Nothing's going to change until the fans start to rebel and refuse to watch or goto the games.

A little advice. You're either a fan, or you never truly we're one to begin with. :wink:

Vivek hasn't been the greatest owner & Vlade seems to be out of his element. But at least you don't have to worry about the Maloofs & the topic of relocation any longer. So, you really should be thanking Seattle. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#50 » by John Murdoch » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:59 pm

They remind me of the Lakers before LBJ and AD. Obv Bagley over Doncic set them back decades
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#51 » by rpa » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:A little advice. You're either a fan, or you never truly we're one to begin with. :wink:

I'd imagine this discussion will come down to people separating themselves the same way they would with tanking.

In this case, a fan wants their team to succeed. If the organization gets in the way of the team succeeding then the only way to change things is to:
a) Stop supporting the organization
b) (More importantly) Make it clear why

Just saying "I haven't watched them in a while isn't enough". Saying "I'm not a fan anymore because they're arrogant, incompetent asshats from the top down with a healthy dose of nepotism mixed in" is a good start.

Cactus Jack wrote:Vivek hasn't been the greatest owner & Vlade seems to be out of his element. But at least you don't have to worry about the Maloofs & the topic of relocation any longer. So, you really should be thanking Seattle. :wink:

Given the choice between taking this current Kings team (hypothetically) or waiting for a new team I think the answer is a coin flip.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#52 » by SNPA » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:41 am

rpa wrote:Opinion from a former Kings fan:

Bye.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#53 » by SNPA » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:45 am

dc wrote:

This is a knowledgeable quality post.

Vlade and the Kings rise and fall on Bagley and Walton. That’s the deal.

Fox is a stud on his way to being a top 5 PG the supporting cast can be a decent supporting cast if there is enough star power and they are used right, Buddy is being horribly misused right now.

Next year is the key. If they go better than .500 with a path to improve this leadership team stays. If they don’t, it’s a complete redo and everything is on the table.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#54 » by God Squad » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:05 am

They needed to hit on their picks while they were bad enough to be in the lottery year in and year out. They did a damn good job nabbing Fox. But most of their other picks sucked, Giles was worth the risk IMO. Fox and Bogdan are the only REAL keepers. Bagley the jury's still out, but he won't be as good as Luka so that not only made your front office look dumb (apparently Vlade hated his father?)
But your rookie (Bagley) is always injured and doesn't look to be worth the trouble compared to other rookies.

Return to The General Board