Is marc Gasol a hall of Famer?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Hall of fame

Yes
71%
No
15%
50/50 chance
14%

Total votes: 228

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Re: Is marc Gasol a hall of Famer? 

Post#41 » by Alfred » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:38 am

Two Olympic Silver Medals, multiple FIBA Gold medals, multiple World Cup titles, NBA DPOY, All-NBA First team selection, multiple time All Star, NBA Championship. All of those accomplishments as a starter, not riding on coattails. He's a lock for the HOF.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#42 » by Metallikid » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:40 am

Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Only if one confuses the basketball hall of fame with a non-existent NBA hall of fame....

Gasol has international credentials that are a key element to his hall case.

Mind you, I personally think Lowry has a chance at the hall, and I'd hope to see it because I think he's a lot better than his numbers/accolades would suggest. But he doesn't have the overall resume of Marc and that's okay. Again understanding the hall isn't and never has been NBA specific.

I mean, how much are Marc's international accomplishments worth? I think people overvalue them significantly. Except for players who played the majority of their career outside of the NBA they usually don't count for much and your NBA career is what makes your case. Not to mention Kyle has a gold medal, too.

A lot bro. They want to promote basketball as a global sport that everyone can play. It makes no sense for them to restrict selection criteria very heavily towards the NBA.

I never said restrict it to just the NBA, I said I don't think international achievements are worth that much for career NBA players.

Answer me the question, what are Marc's international accomplishments worth? Divide them up and tell me. Is a gold medal worth a championship? How about a FIBA gold? Like we have to have a measuring stick here if we're going to do this.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#43 » by everdiso » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:45 am

Yup
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#44 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:55 am

Metallikid wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Metallikid wrote:By the way if you think Marc Gasol is a Hall of Famer then Kyle Lowry is a complete lock.

Only if one confuses the basketball hall of fame with a non-existent NBA hall of fame....

Mind you, I personally think Lowry has a chance at the hall, and I'd hope to see it because I think he's a lot better than his numbers/accolades would suggest. But he doesn't have the overall resume of Marc and that's okay. Again understanding the hall isn't and never has been NBA specific.

I mean, how much are Marc's international accomplishments worth? I think people overvalue them significantly. Except for players who played the majority of their career outside of the NBA they usually don't count for much and your NBA career is what makes your case. Not to mention Kyle has a gold medal, too.

You can't seriously think Lowry's gold medal equates to anything close to Gasol's international body of work though. And great that you don't personally value it, but the hall obviously does. And absolutely should. This idea that basketball is solely a North American sport should have ended decades ago, but its laughable in 2020.

Again, I support Lowry, but minimizing Marc Gasol does nothing towards that end.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#45 » by Metallikid » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:07 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

You can't seriously think Lowry's gold medal equates to anything close to Gasol's international body of work though. And great that you don't personally value it, but the hall obviously does. And absolutely should. This idea that basketball is solely a North American sport should have ended decades ago, but its laughable in 2020.

Again, I support Lowry, but minimizing Marc Gasol does nothing towards that end.

Why is my argument being misinterpreted? I am actually asking the question - I personally think they aren't worth that much - but what are YOU valuing those accomplishments in comparison to NBA accolades? How much do you think they should be valued?

Part of why I think they're overrated is because people seem to just jumble them all together and never really say what's worth what or why.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,775

Post#46 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:15 am

Since the standard is that they do count significantly in the hall, the onus is on you to justify why they should not. And right now it appears to be well I love Kyle Lowry and want him in the hall and somehow think trashing Marc Gasol's credentials helps with that. It does not. So its just a bizarre rabbit hole.

But I'll help. The United States no longer just wins every international tournament they enter. They have the best collection of talent still, but its no longer the Dream Team vs Angola. Other countries have very competent international teams led by Spain and relevant to the thread, one Marc Gasol. They also have very competitive professional leagues as evidenced by their MVP coming over here and in less than two years being one the top 10 players in this league. Jokic is a superstar. Giannis is the freaking best player in the world coming from Africa by way of Greece. Embiid, Simmons, Siakam, Gobert, Sabonis and on and on and on.

The best basketball is played in North America, but more and more the best players are coming from all over the place.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#47 » by drosereturn » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:18 am

No played with Conley but no real accomplishment. both deserve no hof
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,508

Post#48 » by SFour » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:39 am

winning two championships in one year pretty much locked him in

CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,308

Post#49 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:49 am

Showtime23 wrote:No played with Conley but no real accomplishment. both deserve no hof

He led the Grizzlies to the Western Conference Championship series with Conley as his sidekick and no notable 3rd star.
I know we live in a culture where things are viewed as championship or failure, but to me, in a loaded conference, that's a significant accomplishment. It's not like he consistently wilted in the playoffs.
I see a guy who impacted winning throughout his career at a high level. He shot 3s when other centers weren't doing so, played outstanding defense, never hogged the ball or demanded touches, was a great teammate... He deserves a spot in the hall in my humble opinion.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bballgod07
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#50 » by bballgod07 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:52 am

Not a chance...role player. He was never the main guy or 2nd guy or even a 3rd on a team.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,385

Post#51 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:57 am

bballgod07 wrote:Not a chance...role player. He was never the main guy or 2nd guy or even a 3rd on a team.

He was very much the main guy for a while in Memphis. I don't know how Grizzlies gans view the time him and Zach Randolph spent together in Memphis, but as an outsider it felt like Gasol was very much the number 1 guy on that team towards the back-end of their WC runs.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,138

Post#52 » by Chandan » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:02 am

marc has stature within the league man. no doubt they will put him in.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#53 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:10 am

Easily a HOFer since you have to take his international accolades into account. Plus he has a pretty good NBA resume as well.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#54 » by iamworthy » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:14 am

Metallikid wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Metallikid wrote:By the way if you think Marc Gasol is a Hall of Famer then Kyle Lowry is a complete lock.

You sound silly. You are minimizing his international accomplishments and that's not cool.
coca_scola
Senior
And1: 885

Post#55 » by coca_scola » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:53 am

Pablo Escobar wrote:Embiid should induct him. Him being his son would make it special.

Make sure Vuc is there so that it is a full family event.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#56 » by Alfred » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:12 am

Showtime23 wrote:No played with Conley but no real accomplishment. both deserve no hof

I doubt this comment would make more sense if I could understand it.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#57 » by Clay Davis » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:35 am

Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

A lot bro. They want to promote basketball as a global sport that everyone can play. It makes no sense for them to restrict selection criteria very heavily towards the NBA.

I never said restrict it to just the NBA, I said I don't think international achievements are worth that much for career NBA players.

Answer me the question, what are Marc's international accomplishments worth? Divide them up and tell me. Is a gold medal worth a championship? How about a FIBA gold? Like we have to have a measuring stick here if we're going to do this.

I never said you ought to restrict it wholly to the NBA. Just that you should not restrict it too heavily.

What are his accomplishments worth? I'd say, from the perspective of growing interest in the league worldwide, more than winning an NBA championship. I'm guessing fans in Spain feel much happier about him winning for their country rather than for a city on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. Is the level of competition as high? No, but that's not the only gauge for how impactful a win is.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#58 » by Metallikid » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:46 am

Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:A lot bro. They want to promote basketball as a global sport that everyone can play. It makes no sense for them to restrict selection criteria very heavily towards the NBA.

I never said you ought to restrict it wholly to the NBA. Just that you should not restrict it too heavily.

What are his accomplishments worth? I'd say, from the perspective of growing interest in the league worldwide, more than winning an NBA championship. I'm guessing fans in Spain feel much happier about him winning for their country rather than for a city on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. Is the level of competition as high? No, but that's not the only gauge for how impactful a win is.

Okay, so what is Kyle's gold medal worth?
_dreamer_
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#59 » by _dreamer_ » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:25 am

For me, he is probably the best center in the league when it comes to playing 1 on 1 defense, also if I look back at the last 10 years. I have seen it so many times how some very good or even elite centers are helpless against him. Sure, in the modern era where NBA has evolved into the 3pts shooting contest, his role loses on importance. But still, there is plenty to learn from this man. His stats maybe don't show how good he was on the defensive end. And as someone mentioned, if the guys like Radja and Divac have made it, Marc must be there too. Otherwise, it would be unfair.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,753

Post#60 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:20 am

NZB2323 wrote:
phanman wrote:His resume is pretty damn good:

No brainer.

How does someone win DPOTY and not make the all-nba defensive 1st team?

Because different people select one and another. All in all, 2 time world champion, NBA champion, DPOY, 2 Olympic silvers, solid case.

Return to The General Board