Is marc Gasol a hall of Famer?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Hall of fame

Yes
71%
No
15%
50/50 chance
14%

Total votes: 228

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,491

Re: Is marc Gasol a hall of Famer? 

Post#61 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:28 pm

Metallikid wrote:By the way if you think Marc Gasol is a Hall of Famer then Kyle Lowry is a complete lock.

basketball reference has him at 85% (lowry). But he's not more of a lock than Gasol. The one gold I don't think offsets Gasol's olympic and world medals. But both should be there.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,491

Post#62 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:35 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
I mean, how much are Marc's international accomplishments worth? I think people overvalue them significantly. Except for players who played the majority of their career outside of the NBA they usually don't count for much and your NBA career is what makes your case. Not to mention Kyle has a gold medal, too.

A lot bro. They want to promote basketball as a global sport that everyone can play. It makes no sense for them to restrict selection criteria very heavily towards the NBA.

I never said restrict it to just the NBA, I said I don't think international achievements are worth that much for career NBA players.

Answer me the question, what are Marc's international accomplishments worth? Divide them up and tell me. Is a gold medal worth a championship? How about a FIBA gold? Like we have to have a measuring stick here if we're going to do this.

Just consider them worth 1 allstar bid. That would give him 7 and I'm pretty sure no player with 7 allstar selections is out of the hall.

That said are you asking for the hall voters to change their voting or telling us how you'd do it? Because they've been pretty consistent in letting players with resumes like his.
jaybiddyforeal
Rookie
And1: 1,327

Post#63 » by jaybiddyforeal » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:24 pm

I voted 50/50 because I feel it’s more 80/20 then a bonafide yes. I’d have him in without question but I feel voters may make him wait a while because of his underwhelming NBA resume (just in regards to what we expect from players who make the hall based off their nba careers)
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#64 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Since the standard is that they do count significantly in the hall, the onus is on you to justify why they should not. And right now it appears to be well I love Kyle Lowry and want him in the hall and somehow think trashing Marc Gasol's credentials helps with that. It does not. So its just a bizarre rabbit hole.

But I'll help. The United States no longer just wins every international tournament they enter. They have the best collection of talent still, but its no longer the Dream Team vs Angola. Other countries have very competent international teams led by Spain and relevant to the thread, one Marc Gasol. They also have very competitive professional leagues as evidenced by their MVP coming over here and in less than two years being one the top 10 players in this league. Jokic is a superstar. Giannis is the freaking best player in the world coming from Africa by way of Greece. Embiid, Simmons, Siakam, Gobert, Sabonis and on and on and on.

The best basketball is played in North America, but more and more the best players are coming from all over the place.

I think the argument that NBA accomplishments should weigh heavier than international is a valid one. No one is disputing that basketball is a global sport, but I'll analogize it to MMA. There are fighters from all over the planet, and quite a few of these foreign fighters are even at the top levels of their respective divisions. But that doesn't mean a UFC title isn't still more prestigious than belts from ONE Championship in Singapore, RIZIN in Japan, etc

Basketball is a global sport and the NBA is still the world's premier basketball league

EDIT: And to clarify I'm not saying Lowry has greater HOF credentials than Marc. I'm speaking more to the general idea of how accomplishments should be weighed
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#65 » by Clay Davis » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:09 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
I never said restrict it to just the NBA, I said I don't think international achievements are worth that much for career NBA players.

Answer me the question, what are Marc's international accomplishments worth? Divide them up and tell me. Is a gold medal worth a championship? How about a FIBA gold? Like we have to have a measuring stick here if we're going to do this.

I never said you ought to restrict it wholly to the NBA. Just that you should not restrict it too heavily.

What are his accomplishments worth? I'd say, from the perspective of growing interest in the league worldwide, more than winning an NBA championship. I'm guessing fans in Spain feel much happier about him winning for their country rather than for a city on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. Is the level of competition as high? No, but that's not the only gauge for how impactful a win is.

Okay, so what is Kyle's gold medal worth?

Definitely a lot, but I think worth less than Marc's for the sole reason that there are fewer Spanish players playing professionally.

Again, I'm saying this from the perspective of the Naismith HoF. They have a mandate to grow the league and celebrate players who were exceptional in growing the sport internationally and across social barriers.

I'm predicting that Masai will one day be inducted.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#66 » by Metallikid » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:14 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:I never said you ought to restrict it wholly to the NBA. Just that you should not restrict it too heavily.

What are his accomplishments worth? I'd say, from the perspective of growing interest in the league worldwide, more than winning an NBA championship. I'm guessing fans in Spain feel much happier about him winning for their country rather than for a city on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. Is the level of competition as high? No, but that's not the only gauge for how impactful a win is.

Definitely a lot, but I think worth less than Marc's for the sole reason that there are fewer Spanish players playing professionally.

Again, I'm saying this from the perspective of the Naismith HoF. They have a mandate to grow the league and celebrate players who were exceptional in growing the sport internationally and across social barriers.

Masai will be worthy of being inducted for just his NBA career. He made the greatest single season gamble in NBA history and also made the greatest trade deadline deal in NBA history. He was the force behind drafting Pascal Siakam. He already has a GM of the Year in Denver and was very close to winning one last year and certainly deserved it most. He poached Alex McKechnie and he fired the coach of the year Dwane Casey and promoted Nick Nurse. His personal relationship with Kyle shaped what he has become. More than any single individual it is Masai who has turned us into an elite franchise.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#67 » by Clay Davis » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:16 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Masai will be worthy of being inducted for just his NBA career. He made the greatest single season gamble in NBA history and also made the greatest trade deadline deal in NBA history. He was the force behind drafting Pascal Siakam. He already has a GM of the Year in Denver and was very close to winning one last year and certainly deserved it most. He poached Alex McKechnie and he fired the coach of the year Dwane Casey and promoted Nick Nurse. His personal relationship with Kyle shaped what he has become. More than any single individual it is Masai who has turned us into an elite franchise.

I think he'll be inducted in massive part due to his efforts at growing the sport in Africa. I'm predicting it's the next stage in his career as a full-time gig.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#68 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 9:58 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
I mean, how much are Marc's international accomplishments worth? I think people overvalue them significantly. Except for players who played the majority of their career outside of the NBA they usually don't count for much and your NBA career is what makes your case. Not to mention Kyle has a gold medal, too.

A lot bro. They want to promote basketball as a global sport that everyone can play. It makes no sense for them to restrict selection criteria very heavily towards the NBA.

FIBA controls the World Cup, Olympics basketball, and the EuroBasket. They are all FIBA tournaments, and all FIBA medals. And FIBA counts the World Cup and the Olympics equally team-wise in the points system. While EuroBasket is pretty much universally considered to be the highest level tournament of the three in terms of the level of the competition, by basketball experts.

So pretty much, they count the same, in terms of the level of career accomplishment. In terms of only marketing gimmicks and hype, the Olympics counts more, but definitely not in terms of level of accomplishment basketball wise. With that being said, guys that played in FIBA super teams like

USA
SFR Yugoslavia
Soviet Union
FR Yugoslavia / Serbia & Montenegro

and in more recent times,

Argentina of mid 2000s
Spain of the last 15 years or so...

shouldn't have medals won in FIBA tournaments count for nearly as much as for guys that played in other national teams. In most cases, winning a medal with those teams was one of, if not the easiest thing the player did in their whole basketball career.

Clay Davis wrote:Definitely a lot, but I think worth less than Marc's for the sole reason that there are fewer Spanish players playing professionally.

The Spanish ACB league is fully professional. So there are hundreds of Spanish pro players just there alone.
tonyreyes123
Starter
And1: 746

Post#69 » by tonyreyes123 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 10:23 pm

His resume wouldn’t get him anywhere near the baseball or football HOF, the basketball hall of fame is a joke so he’ll get in
Bucks tricked me into being a diehard in 2001, LeBron is the 2nd best player ever, and pizza is awesome.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,576

Post#70 » by JayMKE » Sat Aug 8, 2020 10:33 pm

I'd say so, he checks all the boxes. The Gasol brothers turned Spain into a basketball power house.
FREE GIANNIS
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#71 » by OdomFan » Sat Aug 8, 2020 11:40 pm

tonyreyes123 wrote:His resume wouldn’t get him anywhere near the baseball or football HOF, the basketball hall of fame is a joke so he’ll get in

How do you figure that? If he was in baseball. Having been an important part of a team overseas some where for x amount of years like he has in basketball, then eventually came over to the Major Leagues in the US to win a World series he'd definitely get into the Hall of Fame.

The Basketball Hall of Fame isn't a joke just because you don't agree with this or that person getting in, or that you're angry over who ever it is that isn't in yet.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#72 » by Prez » Sat Aug 8, 2020 11:42 pm

Marc was a boss in his best years in Memphis, absolutely a HOFer imo when you factor in his international accomplishments.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#73 » by Childs » Sat Aug 8, 2020 11:55 pm

Yes. And he better walk up the stage like this

nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,610

Post#74 » by nomansland » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:28 am

It's not the NBA HOF, it's the Basketball HOF and when you consider his international accomplishments it's an easy decision.
50yrceltsfan
Sophomore
And1: 233

Post#75 » by 50yrceltsfan » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:50 am

Above average, heady player but not HOF.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#76 » by OdomFan » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:04 pm

50yrceltsfan wrote:Above average, heady player but not HOF.

How does an above average player who has an NBA Championship and Gold/Silver Medals not belong in the Basketball Hall of Fame? He's been a key player for his teams for more than enough years, and he delivered enough.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#77 » by xinxin » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:26 pm

Of course he is..

& I remember Popovich crying like a baby when the Lakers traded with the grizzlies for Pau; in exchange for Marc., who was a throw in by the way... as an unfair trade... just for the record, grizzlies not only got Marc, but also Zach Randolph by getting rid of Kwame’s salary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#78 » by TheSheriff » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:40 pm

OdomFan wrote:
tonyreyes123 wrote:His resume wouldn’t get him anywhere near the baseball or football HOF, the basketball hall of fame is a joke so he’ll get in

How do you figure that? If he was in baseball. Having been an important part of a team overseas some where for x amount of years like he has in basketball, then eventually came over to the Major Leagues in the US to win a World series he'd definitely get into the Hall of Fame.

No he wouldn’t. The baseball hall of fame is much tougher to get into. They don’t care about international success. They don’t care about college or minor league success. And the required standard for play at the MLB level is higher for HOF consideration.

Hideki Matsui had an amazing career internationally. Was a huge star in Japan. Came over to the states and was a very good player (am all star) and won a World Series. In fact he was the World Series MVP. His career, if you can compare across sports, was more accomplished than Marc Gasol’s career. He got 0.9% of the vote for the MLB hall of fame.

Ichiro will make it, but he will do do based upon his stellar MLB career.
JustLucky
Rookie
And1: 705

Post#79 » by JustLucky » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:46 pm

its crazy to think but the 2019 raptors could have 5 hall of famers. Even a very longshot chance at 6

Lowry - lock
gasol - lock
kawhi - lock
pascal - on pace but has to keep it up for a long time
fred -behind pace but possible needs a kyle lowry like late career
og anunoby - big longshot
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#80 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Aug 9, 2020 2:49 pm

Football Hall of Fame isn't any hard standard at all. Get voted into 4 or 5 pro bowls by fans online and you are probably in. Hardly at all any high standard. Actually, a clearly lower standard than the Basketball Hall of Fame.

JayMKE wrote:I'd say so, he checks all the boxes. The Gasol brothers turned Spain into a basketball power house.

For years and years Marc was not their best or even second best player. And that team was always stacked with 10-12 outstanding players. So way too much credit to Marc in that statement. He's a HOF career level, but he for sure 100% was not one of the two main people behind Spain NT success.

Return to The General Board