Who's been more influential Curry or Harden

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

?

Curry
86%
Harden
14%

Total votes: 42

EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Who's been more influential Curry or Harden 

Post#1 » by EasternHeretic » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:06 am

Whose play has advanced the game of basketball more?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Who's been more influential Curry or Harden 

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:18 am

Harden’s style isn’t that unique, aside from the fact that he’s so much better at baiting fouls than his predecessors. He’s taken common knowledge on 3’s and layups to new extremes.

Curry has helped contribute to the mass of 3’s taken, but much like the teams wanting to replicate the Jordan model, post Bulls dynasty, no one has really replicated the things that actually make Steph special, they just spam 3’s, thinking that is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#3 » by Lalouie » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:41 pm

currys influence is broader, ie the glamourization of the 3.

harden's is more specific, the science of his offense. harden is harder to emulate, so curry has been more influential
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,843

Post#4 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:44 pm

Curry isn't influential, he just runs around screens and puts up a lot of threes cause he is good at them.

Harden has changed the way people view 1-on-1 isolation basketball, and jacking up contested threes. Before there was a negative stigma around dribbling a ton and then taking bad shots. 10 years ago players would be benched for taking the amount of crazy high difficulty shots that Harden does.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,812

Post#5 » by Reeko » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:59 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Curry isn't influential, he just runs around screens and puts up a lot of threes cause he is good at them.

Harden has changed the way people view 1-on-1 isolation basketball, and jacking up contested threes. Before there was a negative stigma around dribbling a ton and then taking bad shots. 10 years ago players would be benched for taking the amount of crazy high difficulty shots that Harden does.

Pretty sure Kobe stayed on the floor. If anything Harden is more like guys from 10-15 years ago in that respect.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 888

Post#6 » by bovice » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:02 pm

Lalouie wrote:currys influence is broader, ie the glamourization of the 3.

harden's is more specific, the science of his offense. harden is harder to emulate, so curry has been more influential

I think this is the correct take. Curry is more influential. I'l add that personally I think Harden is the better player.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#7 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:50 pm

I think its too early to say tbh. You have to look at the guys who come into the league going back about 5 years and for the next 10 years or so. Doncic already mentions Harden as a big influence on his game. So I think people are too quick to mention Curry and in talking about how he revolutionized the game or anything like that. I think Harden's style of play may be copied more simply because finding another guy who can shoot 10 3's a game at close to 45% is going to be really hard to find.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#8 » by Optms » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:55 pm

The only player with a bigger influence than Curry is Michael Jordan himself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but who is emulating Harden and Rockets playstyle overall? All I see is a bunch of teams that have emulated the Curry/Warriors blueprint while making slight altercations. Rockets included.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,088

Post#9 » by Bornstellar » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:57 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Curry isn't influential, he just runs around screens and puts up a lot of threes cause he is good at them.

Harden isn't influential, he just dribbles for 20 seconds and chucks a step back three while traveling half the time because he is good at them.

See how silly that sounds?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#10 » by CS707 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:57 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:10 years ago players would be benched for taking the amount of crazy high difficulty shots that Harden does.

I think you could say the same for Curry. I won't swear to it but I think the "bad" 3 is something Harden added to his game after Steph made it fashionable. If you're talking the next generation of bballers I think more kids are emulating Curry than Harden. To be fair, Hardens combo of skill and size isn't something easily duplicated anyway. He's kind of a freak in his own way.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 888

Post#11 » by bovice » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:11 am

Optms wrote:The only player with a bigger influence than Curry is Michael Jordan himself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but who is emulating Harden and Rockets playstyle overall? All I see is a bunch of teams that have emulated the Curry/Warriors blueprint while making slight altercations. Rockets included.

this is about Harden vs Curry, not the rockets playstyle vs the warriors playstyle. The warriors playstyle stems from the dantoni suns/2014 spurs. Draymond Green being a threat from the perimeter while being able to play the 5 and protect the rim at an elite level. Klay being Klay, everybody on the team being unselfish and knowing the pass can come at any time, etc...

Curry's influence is his elite three point shooting in all aspects. off the dribble, off a screen, catch and shoot WITH the handle/playmaking ability of a pg.
Harden's influence is the the off rhythm steps that lets him get to the rim with ease, step back 3, reliance on iso, goat foul drawer, and whatever else i forgot
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#12 » by iamworthy » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:29 am

What did curry influence? Isn't he a product of analytics?

Return to The General Board