Who's your Goat Ringless Player?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Goat with no rings

Malone
31%
Nash
10%
Carmelo
0%
Barkley
37%
Harden
4%
CP3
8%
Iverson
4%
Ewing
3%
Reggie Miller
2%

Total votes: 372

stroopwaffles
Ballboy
And1: 19

Re: Who's your Goat Ringless Player? 

Post#21 » by stroopwaffles » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 am

Karl Malone
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Post#22 » by infinite11285 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Here are my three.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#23 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm going Ewing. People don't realise that the guy never played next to a legitimate second player and still kept the Knicks in contention with all the glory guys and the championship teams. His economic best player during his prime was either Starks or Oakley. That's a warrior.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#24 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Melo? LMAO.

Malone right now
Barkley
Nash
Iverson
CP3
Harden
Melo
Ewing
Miller
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#25 » by Whopper_Sr » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Definitely Paul with Nash close behind.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#26 » by LivingLegend » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Diamantidis wrote:Its between Barkley and Malone IMO. I would probably pick Barkley because he had a higher peak, so I guess he 'd had a better chance winning a title , if it werent for those great Bulls teams. But on the other hand Malone was really good for such a long time, so I dont really know, its very close.

Malone should get it based on the fact that he was iron man. The dude played 80-82 games in S I X T E E N seasons while being a career 25/10 player.

Why doesnt he get talked about more as a top 10-15 player ever? Is it just the rings? Because simply looking at his stats the dude was a absolute machine for sooo long.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#27 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:17 pm

This is Karl Malone not close either.
Go Raps!!
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#28 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Iverson 10000000%

How I wish they had won that 2001 title so people would never forget this guy.
The narrative on him needs to be revisited, people forget how good this guy was and he wasn't even 6 feet.

70sFan wrote:George Gervin should be mentioned - much better player than Melo.

Iceman!

put Artis Gilmore on that list too.

Great call.

I also wish Ewing had finished the deal and maybe won a couple so that he would loom large over NYC and be like Reggie Jackson or Jeter is out there. He should own that city.

Seems sad to me that there isn't some massive mural to Patrick at MSG celebrating his greatness. It would have been cool too if it was the 95 squad so Charles Oakley would have a ring too.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,204

Post#29 » by og15 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Doesn’t make sense to include players who are still playing
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,834

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Probably Michael Jordan(we all know those were Scottie's rings).
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by Whopper_Sr » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:40 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Diamantidis wrote:Its between Barkley and Malone IMO. I would probably pick Barkley because he had a higher peak, so I guess he 'd had a better chance winning a title , if it werent for those great Bulls teams. But on the other hand Malone was really good for such a long time, so I dont really know, its very close.

Malone should get it based on the fact that he was iron man. The dude played 80-82 games in S I X T E E N seasons while being a career 25/10 player.

Why doesnt he get talked about more as a top 10-15 player ever? Is it just the rings? Because simply looking at his stats the dude was a absolute machine for sooo long.

Sub par playoff performer (Mailman delivered except in the playoffs). His offense wasn't good enough to make up for the massive defensive gap between him and the bigs/forwards above him and his defense not good enough to put him over the forwards/guards above him.

Bigs: Russell, Kareem, Duncan, Wilt, Garnett, Hakeem, and Robinson were all vastly superior defenders. Shaq not as much so but still clearly better while being worlds apart on offense.
Forwards: No case for Malone offensively over LeBron, Bird, and Dirk. Comparable with Dirk defensively though but Dirk was still much better offensively, was a superior playoff performer, and his longevity was just as good.
Guards: Obviously zero arguments for Malone offensively over Jordan, Magic, West, Kobe, Paul, Oscar, Nash, and Curry.

Malone is more comparable to Erving, Barkley, Stockton, Wade, Pippen, Durant, etc in terms of career value. I have Erving over Malone though.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#32 » by LivingLegend » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Whopper_Sr wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Sub par playoff performer (Mailman delivered except in the playoffs). His offense wasn't good enough to make up for the massive defensive gap between him and the bigs/forwards above him and his defense not good enough to put him over the forwards/guards above him.

Bigs: Russell, Kareem, Duncan, Wilt, Garnett, Hakeem, and Robinson were all vastly superior defenders. Shaq not as much so but still clearly better while being worlds apart on offense.
Forwards: No case for Malone offensively over LeBron, Bird, and Dirk. Comparable with Dirk defensively though but Dirk was still much better offensively, was a superior playoff performer, and his longevity was just as good.
Guards: Obviously zero arguments for Malone offensively over Jordan, Magic, West, Kobe, Paul, Oscar, Nash, and Curry.

Malone is more comparable to Erving, Barkley, Stockton, Wade, Pippen, Durant, etc in terms of career value. I have Erving over Malone though.

How was a guy that big strong and athletic so bad at defense
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#33 » by jimmy keys » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Durant
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by Whopper_Sr » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Whopper_Sr wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

How was a guy that big strong and athletic so bad at defense

He was by no means a bad defender. Solid positioning, good hands, quick enough to disrupt the passing and driving lanes, and of course his size and strength allowed him to hold his own. But that's about it. He wasn't much of a rim protector and I didn't see any defensive quarterbacking that would've added value. I don't think he was ever clearly the best defender on his team either.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#35 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Malone.

But Stockton belongs on this list.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#36 » by pipfan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:17 pm

I have Baylor, Barkley or Malone-for me they are all top 20
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#37 » by DavidSterned » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Tempted to go with Dame though I know that's about to change.
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#38 » by Suprasc1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Iverson 10000000%

How I wish they had won that 2001 title so people would never forget this guy.
The narrative on him needs to be revisited, people forget how good this guy was and he wasn't even 6 feet.

70sFan wrote:George Gervin should be mentioned - much better player than Melo.

Iceman!

put Artis Gilmore on that list too.

Great call.

I also wish Ewing had finished the deal and maybe won a couple so that he would loom large over NYC and be like Reggie Jackson or Jeter is out there. He should own that city.

Seems sad to me that there isn't some massive mural to Patrick at MSG celebrating his greatness. It would have been cool too if it was the 95 squad so Charles Oakley would have a ring too.

I'm surprised you're the 1st person mentioning Iverson on here. I thought people were going to pick him more then that!
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#39 » by Suprasc1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:45 pm

Wilfried wrote:Where's Stockton?

He was a better player than Carmelo, CP3, Iverson, Miller

That's really debatable for sure!

Carmelo is on here from pure talent alone
CP3 might be the best modern PG
Iverson is the 5'11 goat
Miller is a ray allen/curry mix
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#40 » by Wilfried » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Suprasc1 wrote:
Wilfried wrote:Where's Stockton?

He was a better player than Carmelo, CP3, Iverson, Miller

That's really debatable for sure!

Carmelo is on here from pure talent alone
CP3 might be the best modern PG
Iverson is the 5'11 goat
Miller is a ray allen/curry mix

And Stockton is debatable the best PG ever (it's him or Magic probably in most people's minds).

Return to The General Board