Milwaukee forgot how to play defense in the bubble

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Milwaukee forgot how to play defense in the bubble 

Post#1 » by mademan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:09 pm

The Bucks stout defense has been unable to get stops since the bubble started.

Defensive rating pre-bubble: 101.9
Defensive rating in the bubble: 111.6 (112.7 in the game Giannis played)

How much of a concern is this for the Bucks? They were pretty bad in the scrimmages before too. I was pretty confident they'd make the finals before the bubble, but now i feel like the East is wide open.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,243

Re: Milwaukee forgot how to play defense in the bubble 

Post#2 » by RoxSteady » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:12 pm

The "pre-bubble" rating is from a large sample size of games when the team had continuity, and the rating in the bubble is from a small sample size, the team has less continuity, and they are playing against better opponents.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Or Milwaukee might just be treating these as preseason type games because they already had the 1st seed locked up.

Let’s see what happens when the real games start.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#4 » by Suprasc1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:22 pm

It's a one man show aka 2007 cavs
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,899

Post#5 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Opposition coaches have had like 5 months off to do nothing but study the best of the NBA. Maybe they've found a few chinks in the armor of Bud's system.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,593

Post#6 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:27 pm

mademan wrote:The Bucks stout defense has been unable to get stops since the bubble started.

Defensive rating pre-bubble: 101.9
Defensive rating in the bubble: 111.6 (112.7 in the game Giannis played)

How much of a concern is this for the Bucks? They were pretty bad in the scrimmages before too. I was pretty confident they'd make the finals before the bubble, but now i feel like the East is wide open.

You don't sustain their level of defense all year (top 5 defense ever I believe) for it to be a mere fluke. Reality is the Lakers, Bucks and even the Clippers are sloppy and disinterested in this, and can't wait for the playoffs. Believe me when I say the Bucks defense is still a juggernaut and we will see it soon. Kudos for Toronto to actually playing the same way, and giving max effort (It's admirable and I wish my team was wired this way), but most of the top teams are kind of coasting and resting guys.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,552

Post#7 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:30 pm

They have basically locked up the number 1 seed in the East since before the bubble started and it quickly became obvious the Lakers can't catch them for the overall best record, so they have no reason to play hard on D.
mademan
RealGM

Post#8 » by mademan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:33 pm

The idea that theyre not giving effort doesnt jive with what ive seen when watching. And Korver's comments
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#9 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 pm

mademan wrote:The idea that theyre not giving effort doesnt jive with what ive seen when watching. And Korver's comments

You can give SOME effort without giving all effort. Sure they may be overall still trying to W and playing moderately hard, but they aren't playing at their peak energy/effort obviously.

otmshank1
Junior
And1: 416

Post#10 » by otmshank1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Most Bucks fan are concerned, some very concerned (me). There's a lack of effort, focus, and execution. Defense is one thing, and I don't have the numbers in front of me but they likely have one of the highest turnover rates in the bubble too. I'm hoping its because these games don't matter, but I've watched this team long enough to think it may be something more serious than that. Maybe it will get better once families are allowed to join the bubble?
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,820

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm

RoxSteady wrote:The "pre-bubble" rating is from a large sample size of when the team had continuity, and the rating in the bubble is from a small sample size, the team has less continuity, and they are playing against better opponents.

This

The_Hater wrote:Or Milwaukee might just be treating these as preseason type games because they already had the 1st seed locked up.

And this.

And look offenses are just way ahead of defenses across the bubble. Number of reasons for that -- players could do little but work on offense during the hiatus-especially shooting, these smaller venues are much better for shooters, role players feel none of the usual pressure of playing games on the road since they play in empty buildings.

Regardless of those numbers in the OP, no East team is looking forward to facing a defense anchored by Giannis and BroLo and lots of smart veteran defenders on the perimeter--there are no easy marks and when you beat your guy, the rim protection is as good as it gets.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#12 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:47 pm

The bucks don't have a solid defense, they just pack the paint.

They get lit up from distance.
mademan
RealGM

Post#13 » by mademan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:47 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
mademan wrote:The idea that theyre not giving effort doesnt jive with what ive seen when watching. And Korver's comments

You can give SOME effort without giving all effort. Sure they may be overall still trying to W and playing moderately hard, but they aren't playing at their peak energy/effort obviously.

If theyre not giving effort, its not a conscious decision.

"On all the teams I've been on, I've always found..this is when there's a turning point for a team. You either take this and you move towards better, you move towards good, or you can go the wrong way. I'm not going to say we are at that point but we are certainly close. I believe in the character of our group, I think we have a bunch of guys who want to do the right thing, I believe in our culture and I think we are going to figure it out."

This isnt a team thats out there screwing around cause they dont gaf. They clearly do. If theyre unable to get the energy to play hard, that should be just as concerning.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#14 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:The "pre-bubble" rating is from a large sample size of when the team had continuity, and the rating in the bubble is from a small sample size, the team has less continuity, and they are playing against better opponents.

This

The_Hater wrote:Or Milwaukee might just be treating these as preseason type games because they already had the 1st seed locked up.

And this.

And look offenses are just way ahead of defenses across the bubble. Number of reasons for that -- players could do little but work on offense during the hiatus-especially shooting, these smaller venues are much better for shooters, role players feel none of the usual pressure of playing games on the road since they play in empty buildings.

Regardless of those numbers in the OP, no East team is looking forward to facing a defense anchored by Giannis and BroLo and lots of smart veteran defenders on the perimeter--there are no easy marks and when you beat your guy, the rim protection is as good as it gets.

This is an important point in itself. Teams are GOING OFF in the bubble offensively, especially from 3. Look at the scores every night? Most teams aren't playing particularly good defense.

ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#15 » by ocelot17 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 pm

The 19-20 regular season ended five months. The bubble is a new season.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,899

Post#16 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:17 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

This

And this.

This is an important point in itself. Teams are GOING OFF in the bubble offensively, especially from 3. Look at the scores every night? Most teams aren't playing particularly good defense.

Bud's system is designed to give up open 3-pt shots in very high volume. Something's gotta give.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#17 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:20 pm

These "seeding" games mean nothing to the Bucks, who already have the #1 seed locked up. Defense is the first area where lack of effort will show up.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#18 » by KqWIN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:The bucks don't have a solid defense, they just pack the paint.

They get lit up from distance.

???

It's the most effective defense by a mile. Sorry, but a few games with no meaning doesn't throw that out the window. The paint is the most important area of the court, and the Bucks are ahead of the game in the way they defend it.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#19 » by bisme37 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:25 pm

I think it just takes a lot of repetitions to be the absolute machine the Bucks have been on defense this season. Everyone has to be on a string like they share the same brain. The machine is less well-oiled after the time off, but they'll get it together.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,440

Post#20 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Lakers struggles have allowed Milwaukee to go under the radar with theirs.

Return to The General Board