Giannis headbutts moe Wagner

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,294

Re: Giannis headbutts moe Wagner 

Post#161 » by Wooderson » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 pm

The_Hater wrote:Definitely the lowest moment of Giannis’ career. What in the world was he thinking?

It will be interesting to see what type of suspension the league gives him as it’s length could obviously have huge playoff repercussions.

It will likely be one game...just like previous penalities for similar acts.

KG throwing thowing the ball at Dwight and headbutting him in 2015 = 1 game

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#162 » by skones » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm

The_Hater wrote:
cursedsportsfan wrote:I wouldn't call this a headbutt. More of a head bump.

Anyone who thinks this should be more than one game is crazy.

If you think he’s only getting one game, you probably haven’t followed the NBA since 1996. They've been working overtime to clean up both Dirty play and hits to the head for a few years now and this crossed the line on both.

I mean, KG was suspended 1 game for this in 2015:

Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,294

Post#163 » by Wooderson » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:29 pm

skones wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

If you think he’s only getting one game, you probably haven’t followed the NBA since 1996. They've been working overtime to clean up both Dirty play and hits to the head for a few years now and this crossed the line on both.

Thabeet also got one game for this.

Nurkic got zero outside of the ejection.

Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,354

Post#164 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 pm

The thing is, when you have a guy as predictable on his drives like Giannis is, the charge is a viable tactic. There aren’t many nuances to Giannis’ offensive game and yes, he will get hacked but he deals a lot of punishment himself with elbows and hooks. All these charges and 50/50 calls simply illustrate the flaws of Giannis’ offensive game, and his need to diversify his arsenal of moves. Athleticism fades and you can’t be trying to dunk or slash on every play once you get into your 30’s.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,354

Post#165 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Wooderson wrote:
skones wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Thabeet also got one game for this.

Nurkic got zero outside of the ejection.

These are largely irrelevant as the league pushes a greater focus on head health now. The Nurkic one was a stretch. He just looked like he was leaning down to tell George something face to face
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#166 » by D.Brasco » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Blemish on what most considered an all time season.

Also if LeBron ever did anything like that his critics would have tried to run him out of the league.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#167 » by skones » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:
These are largely irrelevant as the league pushes a greater focus on head health now. The Nurkic one was a stretch. He just looked like he was leaning down to tell George something face to face

I think the league focusing on "head health" is more of an NFL thing, though I'd say in general the league is obviously trying to eliminate things like this that may have gotten a slap on the wrist in the 90s. With that being said, I'd call the Towns/Embiid scuffle (which I'd say is worse, given it was an all out fight) earlier this season worse than this headbutt and each of those guys got 2 games.

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#168 » by The_Hater » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Fair counter, but at the same time the league has been working hard to clean up all hits to the head the past 3 years so I don’t think it will thrown into the same category.

We’ll find out but I think it will be around 3 games and had it been a lesser player, probably more.

skones wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#169 » by machu46 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:43 pm

PD28 wrote:What was the cause? Shouldn't be more than 1 game but I'm curious if this was just a frustration move or something more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app

Certainly isn't a good excuse, but he said after the game that it wasn't even about Wagner really. He just had a lot of pent up frustration from guys taking dives, taking out his legs, etc. in previous games and Washington was being particularly chippy and he just lost his cool for a moment. I didn't see the plays in question, but I know some fans and Bucks players were saying that Wagner in particular had taken his legs out a few possessions earlier and the two of them almost got into it the last time they played as well, so it was probably at least partially personal with Wagner even if he Giannis is claiming it wasn't.

At any rate, he clearly deserves a 1 game suspension and I'll understand if they make it 2 even though the precedent is 1. Maybe we'll get lucky and this incident will wake the rest of the team up a bit. Pretty much all of our important players outside of Brook and Giannis were resting last night, but the team played with pretty decent energy from start to finish for the first time in the bubble.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#170 » by old skool » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:The thing is, when you have a guy as predictable on his drives like Giannis is, the charge is a viable tactic. There aren’t many nuances to Giannis’ offensive game and yes, he will get hacked but he deals a lot of punishment himself with elbows and hooks. All these charges and 50/50 calls simply illustrate the flaws of Giannis’ offensive game, and his need to diversify his arsenal of moves. Athleticism fades and you can’t be trying to dunk or slash on every play once you get into your 30’s.
It's amazing that a player with so many obvious flaws in his game gets votes for MVP.

There won't be a team in the league willing to offer him a free agent contract next summer, not with such predictable offensive skills that are certain to deteriorate.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#171 » by Profound23 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:45 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:The thing is, when you have a guy as predictable on his drives like Giannis is, the charge is a viable tactic. There aren’t many nuances to Giannis’ offensive game and yes, he will get hacked but he deals a lot of punishment himself with elbows and hooks. All these charges and 50/50 calls simply illustrate the flaws of Giannis’ offensive game, and his need to diversify his arsenal of moves. Athleticism fades and you can’t be trying to dunk or slash on every play once you get into your 30’s.

Understood, but when a dude is midair and you are still sliding, pushing your shoulder forward, or decide to bridge him (much like Marcus Smart does) so he falls on his wrist/back then the call is an offensive foul, not sure what you guys expect a player to do.

The funny thing is if Giannis were in LA or playing with Curry in GS, those are all called blocking fouls and this isn't even an issue.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#172 » by Profound23 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:47 pm

machu46 wrote:
PD28 wrote:What was the cause? Shouldn't be more than 1 game but I'm curious if this was just a frustration move or something more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app

Certainly isn't a good excuse, but he said after the game that it wasn't even about Wagner really. He just had a lot of pent up frustration from guys taking dives, taking out his legs, etc. in previous games and Washington was being particularly chippy and he just lost his cool for a moment. I didn't see the plays in question, but I know some fans and Bucks players were saying that Wagner in particular had taken his legs out a few possessions earlier and the two of them almost got into it the last time they played as well, so it was probably at least partially personal with Wagner even if he Giannis is claiming it wasn't.

At any rate, he clearly deserves a 1 game suspension and I'll understand if they make it 2 even though the precedent is 1. Maybe we'll get lucky and this incident will wake the rest of the team up a bit. Pretty much all of our important players outside of Brook and Giannis were resting last night, but the team played with pretty decent energy from start to finish for the first time in the bubble.

We all knew that was the reason. Anyone watching Bucks games on a regular basis knew that was the reason.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#173 » by LikeABosh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:49 pm

Whole lotta nothing. Suspend him 1 game and move on
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#174 » by old skool » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Stupid move by Antetokounmpo that deserves disciplinary action. He was wrong.

Not out of character for an overly competitive player who initiates contact. Few stars would be playing hard in such a meaningless game against a downtrodden opponent with most of your fellow starters sitting out.

This is an easy disciplinary call for the NBA. They suspend him for a game or two, show that they don't hesitate to discipline a superstar, it hits Antetokounmpo in the wallet and does nothing to impact the season or playoffs.

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#175 » by jc23 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Bucks headbutt during mating season or something right?
Be curious, Not judgmental
smythep
Sophomore
And1: 159

Post#176 » by smythep » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:03 pm

old skool wrote:
It's amazing that a player with so many obvious flaws in his game gets votes for MVP.

There won't be a team in the league willing to offer him a free agent contract next summer, not with such predictable offensive skills that are certain to deteriorate.

Potentially the silliest comment I've seen in my two years of lurking on RGM. Every team in the NBA would "offer him a free agent contract" if they thought they could get him.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#177 » by drosereturn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:31 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:Players get suspended 2-3 games for throwing punches, I'm not sure why connecting on a headbutt would be any different.

This was was the punch equivalent of no wind-up punch where its more of a push. It's not like he winded up and intended (or even delievered in a manner) than could do much damage. Ingraham winding up and throwing haymakers was only 4 games and thats a type of shot that could seriously injure a guy.

Ever headbutted someone? Ever been headbutted? Doesn't sound like you've experienced either.

There's a reason they don't allow it in even the most physical contact sports. It doesn't take much to generate a powerful impact, whoever is on the receiving end definitely feels it.

This Anywhere in the head is esp dangerous considering it can have brain damage or even concussion.
You could make a argument its worse than a punch depending on where it hits.
If they dont punish Giannis, he is going to keep doing it at playoffs. Banning him 5 games is fair.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#178 » by Jedzz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:58 pm

skones wrote:

Inflation?

Just like today a thunderstorm weather report is immediately a life threatoning event now. Take shelter before the rain melts us all!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#179 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:This was was the punch equivalent of no wind-up punch where its more of a push. It's not like he winded up and intended (or even delievered in a manner) than could do much damage. Ingraham winding up and throwing haymakers was only 4 games and thats a type of shot that could seriously injure a guy.

Ever headbutted someone? Ever been headbutted? Doesn't sound like you've experienced either.

There's a reason they don't allow it in even the most physical contact sports. It doesn't take much to generate a powerful impact, whoever is on the receiving end definitely feels it.

This Anywhere in the head is esp dangerous considering it can have brain damage or even concussion.
You could make a argument its worse than a punch depending on where it hits.
If they dont punish Giannis, he is going to keep doing it at playoffs. Banning him 5 games is fair.

So throwing punches at head is 4 games, head butting has been 1 game the past 2x it has happened, O'neal got 15 games for punching a fan. 5 seems excessive to me.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#180 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:15 pm

Profound23 wrote:

Understood, but when a dude is midair and you are still sliding, pushing your shoulder forward, or decide to bridge him (much like Marcus Smart does) so he falls on his wrist/back then the call is an offensive foul, not sure what you guys expect a player to do.

The funny thing is if Giannis were in LA or playing with Curry in GS, those are all called blocking fouls and this isn't even an issue.

Giannis doesn't get a great whistle, but Curry never has either. If there's anyone that gets a favorable whistle on the Warriors, it's Draymond. Curry gets mauled off-ball and refs very often do not call fouls when he gets hit mid-air on drives.

Return to The General Board