Ideal form of b-ball?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Ideal form of b-ball? 

Post#1 » by moderndarwin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 am

and how would you make it happen?

For me:

-Scores in the range of 98-110
-Post moves brought back
-Midrange game brought back + fade-away
-Charge is a rarity and block attempts are the norm

Rules:
-Light hand checking allowed on the perimeter
-Tough defense in the post allowed
-No made up non basketball fouls such as rip through or bump into someone and then shoot
-Very few charges called. Just standing in front of someone and getting run over isn’t defense imo.
-Leniency on shot blocking attempts
-Allowing ball off to be taken off rim (same as Fiba)
-Limit to the number of three point attempts allowed per game (eg it’d just be worth 2 after a certain point).
-No such thing as a corner three (it’s always worth 2).
-Very tough penalties (suspensions) for dirty plays or non basketball plays.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,300

Re: Ideal form of b-ball? 

Post#2 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:00 am

The way they ref it in the playoffs makes for a far superior product imo, but I understand why they don't allow that level of physicality throughout the season, too.
Just bring back the and-1 on non-shooting fouls when teams are in the bonus and I'd be happy. The flopping and ref baiting is ridiculous and I hate it, but it doesn't seem to work in the playoffs so I can begrudgingly deal with it.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#3 » by SMTBSI » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:07 am

Low-gravity trampoline moonball.

With pets.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#4 » by God Squad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:10 am

Slam ball of course.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#5 » by Side beard » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:11 am

Round
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 259

Post#6 » by Mallie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:12 am

Spherical.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#7 » by SMTBSI » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 am

Okay, seriously:

1.) Reward the good play. If a guy makes a crazy athletic, perfectly timed block, but gets a little more contact than he probably should have, well, tie goes to the guy who made the play. On the flip side, if a guy drives and just gets totally swallowed up, don't bail him out for the slightest contact. He deserves to live with his bad decisions.

2.) Give defenses a fighting chance by getting a little more strict with travels and carrying. Carrying in particular is out of control right now. I don't even feel good about it when it's my guys who are getting away with it. I can't help but feel like this sport is slowly evolving into handball.

3.) I know this is probably impossible, but do whatever you have to do - more refs, review centers, rule changes - to penalize flopping. And I don't just mean the worst-of-the-worst acting jobs. I mean guys who take charges by sliding in at the last second and falling over as their jerseys brush. Ditto for falling down on no contact at the 3pt line. That's not sports to me. If the rules and officiating are such that that's how you feel like you need to play defense, something has gone wrong. Guys should be allowed to contest. It might be time to finally do away with the restricted area. And fouls on three point shooters after the shot is off, should only be two shots.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:30 am

moderndarwin wrote:and how would you make it happen?

For me:

-Scores in the range of 98-110
-Post moves brought back
-Midrange game brought back + fade-away
-Charge is a rarity and block attempts are the norm

Rules:
-Light hand checking allowed on the perimeter
-Tough defense in the post allowed
-No made up non basketball fouls such as rip through or bump into someone and then shoot
-Very few charges called. Just standing in front of someone and getting run over isn’t defense imo.
-Leniency on shot blocking attempts
-Allowing ball off to be taken off rim (same as Fiba)
-Limit to the number of three point attempts allowed per game (eg it’d just be worth 2 after a certain point).
-No such thing as a corner three (it’s always worth 2).
-Very tough penalties (suspensions) for dirty plays or non basketball plays.

Most of this would be great. Of course players of today might all end up injured and out more games than they play.

For three point adjustments. I would just move the arc back 2-3 ft above the key. I think that's enough that the arc hits the side line and stops. So all threes would come from a smaller area, no corner threes this way. It also opens up the space inside the 3pt arc The perimeter compresses. Only the best three point shooters are going to be hitting those and the defenders will more easily be able to cover the ground they can shoot 3s from. But it might make it a little harder for defenders to get back inside in time. Passing and ball movement might really climb even if it's no longer all the way around the arc anymore. More kickouts and back in, more cuting/slashing. Maybe less team defense and more indiv man defense.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#9 » by Myth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:57 pm

A rule I've always wanted for flops is that if you get caught flopping, the penalty for the actual play is shifted by one. Here is what I mean:
If somebody is hit hard (equivalent to flagrant 1), the penalty is shifted down to a regular foul if you flop/exaggerate to sell it further.
If somebody is fouled and you flop, it is now a no call
If you completely fabricate a foul, it is a technical

This would really make players think twice about flopping way more than threats of fines that extremely rarely result in anything.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#10 » by Brofessor24 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:12 pm

IMO what we have right now is awesome.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#11 » by LivingLegend » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:14 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:The way they ref it in the playoffs makes for a far superior product imo, but I understand why they don't allow that level of physicality throughout the season, too.
Just bring back the and-1 on non-shooting fouls when teams are in the bonus and I'd be happy. The flopping and ref baiting is ridiculous and I hate it, but it doesn't seem to work in the playoffs so I can begrudgingly deal with it.

Reducing the amount of RS games would help that. It would bring back a sense that every game means something which might spark that competitive drive from everyone on a nightly basis.

Your seeing it right now with the MLB with only 60 games. Maybe move the NBA season from 82 to 62 games or something and see what happens with the product on a nightly basis.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,300

Post#12 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Myth wrote:A rule I've always wanted for flops is that if you get caught flopping, the penalty for the actual play is shifted by one. Here is what I mean:
If somebody is hit hard (equivalent to flagrant 1), the penalty is shifted down to a regular foul if you flop/exaggerate to sell it further.
If somebody is fouled and you flop, it is now a no call
If you completely fabricate a foul, it is a technical

This would really make players think twice about flopping way more than threats of fines that extremely rarely result in anything.

Always thought the "phantom flops," the pantomiming of contact when none actually occurred, should be a technical. It's a bigger deterrent than a fine for these guys.
But I don't think it should be the referees job to police that, because they have enough on their plates, and it could also create bad blood with players.
My solution would be that questionable plays are reviewed by the league office in New York in real time, and a decision is handed down at the end of each quarter. Any "spirit of the game" technicals would result in the other team getting a FT to start the next quarter.
Obviously, that wouldn't work in the 4th Q., so you'd have to institute some kind of 2-minute warning for SOTG FTs resulting from play in the 4th Q. Last two minutes (and OT), no SOTG technical FTs would be awarded, as no one wants to see a dead-ball FT decide a game at the end.
I don't think implementing this would be as difficult as it may sound and I think if it were put in place it would largely end egregious flopping altogether and you would rarely see SOTG FTs awarded.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,142

Post#13 » by Sgt Major » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Duncan-Manu-Tony-Kawhi Spurs ball
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#14 » by Clay Davis » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Brofessor24 wrote:IMO what we have right now is awesome.

This.

Midrange isn't dead. Kawhi is literally dead-eye right now
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.

Return to The General Board