Jerry West is a GENIUS

Moderators: GeorgeMarcus, ken6199, BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, KingDavid, bwgood77, Dirk, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, infinite11285

User avatar
levon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,754
And1: 10,686
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#1 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 am

The Clippers sent SGA, Gallo, 5 first round picks, and 2 pick swaps for Paul George.

Then proceeded to send Moe Harkless, a 2020 first round pick, swap rights to two picks, and filler for Marcus **** Morris.

I'm a Lakers fan so I credit Jerry for discovering Kobe and being an architect of that threepeat. But some of the incessant stanning of this dude in the basketball world is :roll: .

Oh but did you guys hear he threatened to quit if the Warriors traded Klay for K Love?
User avatar
Lawyershawn
Junior
Posts: 419
And1: 898
Joined: Jun 11, 2014

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#2 » by Lawyershawn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:34 am

The trade was also implicitly for Kawhi Leonard.

It was a good trade. They had a legit shot at a ring.
Lower Cases & Capitals
Chandan
General Manager
Posts: 8,584
And1: 12,052
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#3 » by Chandan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 am

old fart should just stay in retirement.
Image
Patches Perry
General Manager
Posts: 8,609
And1: 11,101
Joined: May 11, 2016
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#4 » by Patches Perry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 am

This Clippers roster was a top 2-3 favorite all year and had lots of talent thanks to the 5 year transformation from West and co. He cleaned a bad situation into a title contender.

Players and coaches gotta finish the job. Clippers have the talent. The rest of the job needs to happen in practice and on the court.
Spintown
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,838
And1: 2,270
Joined: Sep 09, 2012

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#5 » by Spintown » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 am

I think it was Kawhi more than Jerry. I believe Jerry wanted to get Beal for less assets but kawhi wanted a wing capable of guarding the other teams best player.

Afterwards reports came out that kawhi was ok with beal or PG
ClipsFanSince98 wrote: That's the biggest edge the Clippers have. They are filled with junkyard dogs who will have the mental/toughness edge over just about everybody.
User avatar
levon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,754
And1: 10,686
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#6 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 am

Lawyershawn wrote:The trade was also implicitly for Kawhi Leonard.

There's really no evidence of this. It's just something that's repeated to justify highway robbery. The Thunder might have been able to leverage the fact that the Clippers couldn't land a second star from anywhere and goad them into making that deal, but I have yet to see evidence that Kawhi was signing on that dotted line in Canada or with the Lakers to be a third fiddle to Lebron. Now the Thunder own the Los Angeles Clippers for the next decade, whereas the Clippers are left with two fickle stars with duplicative skillsets, with just one year left on their deals. The two players don't even complement each other.
MJ7
Senior
Posts: 519
And1: 911
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#7 » by MJ7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:38 am

to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Jerry West.
Image
Wizard/MJ fan
User avatar
levon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,754
And1: 10,686
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#8 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:39 am

MJ7 wrote:to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Jerry West.

Jerry has a plan for all of us.
User avatar
JoeyLightYears
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,446
And1: 1,965
Joined: May 23, 2016

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#9 » by JoeyLightYears » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:41 am

West is just a consultant and gets way too much credit for the Clippers trades the last few years.
User avatar
RaptorsLife
RealGM
Posts: 49,172
And1: 83,769
Joined: Feb 16, 2015
Location: Brampton
   

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#10 » by RaptorsLife » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 am

Clippers really about to open up a stadium in inglewood

With no championships
No picks
I doubt Kawhi or pg will be there in 2024 or 2025
Raptors til death
MJ7
Senior
Posts: 519
And1: 911
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#11 » by MJ7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 am

levon wrote:
MJ7 wrote:to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Jerry West.

Jerry has a plan for all of us.

Have some goddamn FAITH.
Image
Wizard/MJ fan
Chandan
General Manager
Posts: 8,584
And1: 12,052
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#12 » by Chandan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:44 am

RaptorsLife wrote:Clippers really about to open up a stadium in inglewood

With no championships
No picks
I doubt Kawhi or pg will be there in 2024 or 2025


half time show is just a sweaty balmer trying to hype up the crowd.

he could just give away a million $ to a court side fan every game.
Image
IgorK
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,538
And1: 2,564
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
     

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#13 » by IgorK » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 am

Quit bashing The Logo. Wherever he goes, in any capacity, success follows. Lakers. Grizz. Dubs. Clips.

Having said that, he's supposedly in a consulting role and doesn't have much say in the final decision making. So we'll never know which decisions are "his" (trades, signings, staff, etc)
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,164
And1: 12,804
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#14 » by OGLife » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 am

Just goes to show how important the PG role is in today's NBA.
User avatar
levon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,754
And1: 10,686
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#15 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:46 am

Patches Perry wrote:This Clippers roster was a top 2-3 favorite all year and had lots of talent thanks to the 5 year transformation from West and co. He cleaned a bad situation into a title contender.

Players and coaches gotta finish the job. Clippers have the talent. The rest of the job needs to happen in practice and on the court.

The Clippers had valuable players because the league intervened so that CP3 gets sent there, and drafted Blake #1. Then they traded CP3 and fooled Blake into re-signing, then traded him. I want evidence of West's contributions paying off before we give him an inordinate amount of credit for anything. Most likely he doesn't do anything and Michael Winger is the one screwing the pooch, but it's clear to me that after this year the mystique around Jerry West as the shadow architect of everyone's success needs to be taken down a peg.
SleepingDragon
Sophomore
Posts: 154
And1: 83
Joined: Jun 22, 2017

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#16 » by SleepingDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 am

Lawyershawn wrote:The trade was also implicitly for Kawhi Leonard.

It was a good trade. They had a legit shot at a ring.

Kawhi just wanted a 2nd star to play with, PG13 is not the only choice.

Jerry West overpaid for PG13.
User avatar
KingFox
Starter
Posts: 2,438
And1: 1,902
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#17 » by KingFox » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 am

It was still a great trade. They don't have to win the title their first time out together as a team in order for this trade to be successful. If they win the title in 2021, what will you say?
User avatar
levon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,754
And1: 10,686
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#18 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 am

SleepingDragon wrote:
Lawyershawn wrote:The trade was also implicitly for Kawhi Leonard.

It was a good trade. They had a legit shot at a ring.

Kawhi just wanted a 2nd star to play with, PG13 is not the only choice.

Jerry West overpaid for PG13.

Thank you. Also, what does it mean for your organization if you can't get Kawhi to trust you enough to make the no-brainer signing to be back home while waiting on a trade for a second star in the future? Having to get bent over for Kawhi to trust you doesn't inspire much confidence. Isn't that the whole point of packing your FO with well-respected people like West?
Patches Perry
General Manager
Posts: 8,609
And1: 11,101
Joined: May 11, 2016
 

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#19 » by Patches Perry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 am

levon wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:This Clippers roster was a top 2-3 favorite all year and had lots of talent thanks to the 5 year transformation from West and co. He cleaned a bad situation into a title contender.

Players and coaches gotta finish the job. Clippers have the talent. The rest of the job needs to happen in practice and on the court.

The Clippers had valuable players because the league intervened so that CP3 gets sent there, and drafted Blake #1. Then they traded CP3 and fooled Blake into re-signing, then traded him. I want evidence of West's contributions paying off before we give him an inordinate amount of credit for anything. Most likely he doesn't do anything and Michael Winger is the one screwing the pooch, but it's clear to me that after this year the mystique around Jerry West as the shadow architect of everyone's success needs to be taken down a peg.


You're probably right that his advisement is overstated, but in 2017 the Clippers were racing to the bottom with aging stars and awful contracts, and in 2020 they're championship favorites. I don't have insider evidence of West's exact role in that transformation but it's strange how often his teams are accidentally successful under his consult.
User avatar
levon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,754
And1: 10,686
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#20 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 am

KingFox wrote:It was still a great trade. They don't have to win the title their first time out together as a team in order for this trade to be successful. If they win the title in 2021, what will you say?

How was it a great trade if they've yet to achieve any success? If I should suspend my critique, you should suspend your approval until they actually win something. Because if they don't and this is the Paul George and/or Kawhi we keep getting, it was an absolutely atrocious trade.

Return to The General Board