Lebron gotta be considered the GOAT now when the Lakers win the title

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,235

Re: Lebron gotta be considered the GOAT now when the Lakers win the title 

Post#381 » by monopoman » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:56 am

leolozon wrote:People who don't want Lebron to be GOAT won't accept that he he could be no matter what. There's a lot of bias at play from people who grew up watching MJ (I grew up watching MJ).

I probably will have them at 1a and 1b not matter if Lebron wins it all another time (I don't think championships are an individual award, I care about how you play).

I just wish people admitted that who they have number 1 is dependant on their own personal take on peak vs longevity. And I wish that people kept the same criteria to rank other players after that. You sometimes see people who think MJ is WAY ahead of Lebron because of a slightly better peak, but then they'll rank a player with better longevity ahead of a player with a slightly better peak.

Both peak and longevity matter, I mean if we look at just peak a guy like Bill Walton becomes a top 10 player. Before his major injury he took the youngest team ever to win an NBA title to the promise land of a championship. They were the underdogs in the finals by a large margin and thanks to Walton and a few others pulled it out.

Obviously that one year peak wasn't enough though because Walton got injured and he was never the same player again. Acting like well peak always matters over longevity is not correct. It's not just that one matters over the other clearly it's that both matter and the weight each one has is different depending on the person and in some cases the player.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#382 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:15 am

When you go back in a hot tub time machine and Pippen is the lead scorer averages 30+ppg through a Semis and then Finals to lead the Bulls to a championship like AD is doing, besides not get humiliated by DAL and run over by historical amounts by the Spurs as the favourite — then let’s reexplore this topic.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,158

Post#383 » by trueballer7 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:25 am

PhilBlackson wrote:When you go back in a hot tub time machine and Pippen is the lead scorer averages 30+ppg through a Semis and then Finals to lead the Bulls to a championship like AD is doing, besides not get humiliated by DAL and run over by historical amounts by the Spurs as the favourite — then let’s reexplore this topic.

Lebroni was so good last night. He scored 20 of his 25 after it was a 20pt game. Goat of being a disgusting filth
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#384 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:49 am

I don't think a ring this year changes much in all the goat talk tbh. Most people who still have MJ ahead do it based on 6>3. So even if the Lakers win it this year 6 is still >4. Also if your goat is Russell then 11 is still way greater than 4. The only way I think it impacts it to some degree is if Kareem is your goat.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,411

Post#385 » by Zenzibar » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:31 am

WestGOAT wrote:• Lebron has been dominating the league for 13 seasons, every season (with the exception of the previous one) since 2006. 
• Jordan "only" did it for 10 seasons (1986 - 1992 and 1995-1997).

It's pretty fair to say both of them had a similar level impact when they were in their prime, if there is a difference then it's slightly in favour for Jordan, but it's really pretty negligible. None of these players will lead you to a title by themselves versus regular competition, they all need the appropriate support and roster constructed around them. 

So basically it comes down to 13 GOAT years vs 10 GOAT years, it's understandable to choose Jordan over Lebron since he did lead his team to 6 titles over Lebron's 3, but when Lebron wins 4 the case is pretty much clear-cut. 

*I'm bad arithmetic, corrected some numbers.

here:

Stop All Genocides
Rakkasan
Sophomore
And1: 127

Post#386 » by Rakkasan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:16 pm

The truth is, MJ didn't beat any of the great teams of his era. When Jordan started winning all the great teams of his era were old retired, or broken physically.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#387 » by 100proof » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:07 pm

Rakkasan wrote:The truth is, MJ didn't beat any of the great teams of his era. When Jordan started winning all the great teams of his era were old retired, or broken physically.

Yeah the Lakers sucked, so did the pistons, Utah was pure Garbage, Sonics couldnt win their way out of a paper bag, Phoenix was a hot mess.

I Mean, sure Utah won more games, had a better offensive and defensive rating and had the MVP of the league, but they really did suck

Phoenix won more games, had a massive offensive rating and had a player that could had that years MVP, but they were old and broken

Sonics had the NBAs 2nd best defense and had 2 top 10 MVP voting guys.

Pistons were a complete mess with the leagues best and by far toughest defense

Knicks just were a bunch of pansies that let Jordan do whatever he wanted on the court.

The Blazers had the MVP runner up and only lost 3 games in the playoffs until they met Jordan, But Drexler was going bald so they were trash.

The Magic came off 2 straight finals appearances until Mike swept them
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,089

Post#388 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:22 pm

MJ never had to carry a player that has done nothing like AD and the worse finals supporting cast in NBA history.
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#389 » by BigBoss23 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:41 pm

He isnt even the best player on his own team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,992

Post#390 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:44 pm

LeBron is the GOAT
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board