Wiretap: Clippers Could Upgrade Roster via Trade Taking On Salary

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,173

Re: Wiretap: Clippers Could Upgrade Roster via Trade Taking On Salary 

Post#81 » by donnieme » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:58 am

Par36 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Clips do have alot of players teams will be interested in

If im Knicks im on the phone right now to acquire Shamet

Outside of Shamet, it's kinda slim pickings for players they have under contract.

Let's not get washed away in the moment. Every player on their roster is a good trade asset, yes even Montrez. A roster that has the "problem" of too many 20ppg guys is never in a bad spot, cos that's what they are
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#82 » by TheGOATWill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:26 am

SF_Warriors wrote:just re-sign harrell and run it back. They already have most of their assets tied up for about 5-6 years. They didnt make that trade for a one year window.

Lakers and Nuggets are better as constructed. The Warriors could leapfrog them if they return to form. Clips need a floor general that can space. Maybe Dragic would be interested in the MLE.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Post#83 » by mademan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 am

donnieme wrote:
Par36 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Clips do have alot of players teams will be interested in

If im Knicks im on the phone right now to acquire Shamet

Outside of Shamet, it's kinda slim pickings for players they have under contract.

Let's not get washed away in the moment. Every player on their roster is a good trade asset, yes even Montrez. A roster that has the "problem" of too many 20ppg guys is never in a bad spot, cos that's what they are

Montrez is a decent player, but he and Morris are FA's and it's always been difficult to find value in S&T's.
Guys like Lou and PG are difficult to trade AND get an upgrade for.

Really, all they got is Shamet and Zubac with decent value. And I dont know if youre gonna get a better bang for your buck over Zu and Shamet doesnt make enough money to trade. Honestly, trade market wise, theyre gonna have to be very creative to get upgrades. Maybe the MLE gives them a decent pg, but even then....
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,173

Post#84 » by donnieme » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:39 am

mademan wrote:
donnieme wrote:
Par36 wrote:

Montrez is a decent player, but he and Morris are FA's and it's always been difficult to find value in S&T's.
Guys like Lou and PG are difficult to trade AND get an upgrade for.

Really, all they got is Shamet and Zubac with decent value. And I dont know if youre gonna get a better bang for your buck over Zu and Shamet doesnt make enough money to trade. Honestly, trade market wise, theyre gonna have to be very creative to get upgrades. Maybe the MLE gives them a decent pg, but even then....

Didn't know Trez and Morris were FAs. That suddenly makes the Clippers situation worse. I guess they should re-sign them and run it back. The worst thing a contending team trying to improve can do is let rotation guys walk for nothing. Morris had a good postseason for a roleplayer and Montrez can still produce. Worst case you trade some of them for upgrades before the midseason trade deadline. The improvements don't have to come in the offseason. I still think they could have won this year if they didn't dick around all season. Too bad they couldnt play the lakers 82 times a year
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,575

Post#85 » by mdenny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:26 am

Slava wrote:They'll have plenty of options there, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Tobias Harris, Lamarcus Aldridge, Demar Derozan, Andre Drummond, Andrew Wiggins are all highly paid players on long term contracts with unhappy teams. If they aren't already over the tax, they can also engage Cleveland on a sign and trade for Tristan Thompson.

I don't see how they can match salary without trading George. And noone looking to get rid of long term bad contracts would want to take george in return because he has a player option after next season.

I don't see how they can take on any of the names circulating this thread. They can't match salaries. Or am I missing something?
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#86 » by EArl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:39 am

Jordan45822 wrote:Derrick Rose probably best cheapest answer tbh.

Would he take every other game off? Derrick Rose cannot be relied on long term.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#87 » by RonaldArtest » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 am

They’re going to have to get hella creative, hopefully fleece some GM, not sure. They don’t have a lot of tradable assets, and every team in the league has leverage knowing their sense of urgency. Best thing they can hope for is some actual chemistry and to start playing like a team instead of a collection of players.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#88 » by zimpy27 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:07 am

S+T Harrell for a PG

They have assets to move to change the team around.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,374

Post#89 » by DS17 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 am

Gotta make sure balmer isn’t paying these guys under the table to keep em (Morris and Harrel). NBA PLZ KEEP TRACK
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,830

Post#90 » by Diop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 am

I think Horford would help them, he's always been good at helping team mates win.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#91 » by Alatan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:19 am

DieHardFan wrote:
LFAHFN22 wrote:I'm really interested in what the Clippers can do to improve this team. I genuinely believe they need a point guard, someone who can initiate the offense. This is something I've felt the team has missed the entire year. They have roughly 115M in commitments for the next season, with their notable free agents being Marcus Morris and Montrezl Harrell. I genuinely have no idea what these two will command given the uncertainty with the current climate. Morris was making 15M this year, with Harrell making another 6M.

I'm assuming Harrell will command significantly more than that having won Sixth Man of the Year. Let's say Harrell resigns with the Clippers for an average of 12M per year, and Morris returns for the same 15M per year (non-Bird rights) he was making this year.

Your assets at this point include a 33 year old Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly at 13M with an additional year at 14M, Marcus Morris at 15M, Montrezl Harrell at 12M, Ivica Zubac, and Landry Shamet. I could be biased, but I only see one of those as really being an asset (Zubac). Morris and Harrell might be assets depending on how their deals are structured, but I feel that's unlikely.

I guess if I were to summarize. . . I don't really see how they're able to upgrade this roster.

Good observations bro.

I believe even an above avarage guard who can shoot&play p&R and off to ball consistently would do wonder to that toxic offensive scheme. Spencer Dinwiddie would be my top choice but not sure Nets would be interested on any of Harrell-Beverley-Lou. More realistically Tomas Satoransky would be my target from Chicago. Sato also has huge body that bothers lot of wings on opposing teams.

I can't see us making a big move for those "big names" mentioned in this thread.

Tomas Satoransky was my first choice for the Clippers in the trade deadline. I was surprised they added Jackson who doesnt fix any of their problems.
gordonyao
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#92 » by gordonyao » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am

might be trade Lou for a play maker like George Hill?
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by Alatan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:26 am

Jordan45822 wrote:Derrick Rose probably best cheapest answer tbh.

Rose is not a floor general and has questionable IQ. Id pass on him even if he was available. Clippers need a guy that can run plays and find guys in good spots. Currently they look like they have no idea what to do when their shots are not falling in.
speedfiend
Freshman
And1: 104

Post#94 » by speedfiend » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 am

S+T Harrell for Lonzo + Picks.
Lonze wouldn't be counted on to do the heavy lifting with scoring, and his passing and floor spacing would complement Kwahi & PG.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#95 » by Slava » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 am

mdenny wrote:
Slava wrote:They'll have plenty of options there, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Tobias Harris, Lamarcus Aldridge, Demar Derozan, Andre Drummond, Andrew Wiggins are all highly paid players on long term contracts with unhappy teams. If they aren't already over the tax, they can also engage Cleveland on a sign and trade for Tristan Thompson.

I don't see how they can match salary without trading George. And noone looking to get rid of long term bad contracts would want to take george in return because he has a player option after next season.

I don't see how they can take on any of the names circulating this thread. They can't match salaries. Or am I missing something?

Pat Bev, Zubac and Lou would combine for $28M in outgoing salary, who could all be of interest to a team like the Sixers. Jamychael Green, if he picks up his player option is another $5M and change to add as outgoing salary and Rodney McGruder is an additional $5M.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#96 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 am

I'm trying to imagine what Blake Griffin would look like in a Clippers uniform.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#97 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Alatan wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:
LFAHFN22 wrote:I'm really interested in what the Clippers can do to improve this team. I genuinely believe they need a point guard, someone who can initiate the offense. This is something I've felt the team has missed the entire year. They have roughly 115M in commitments for the next season, with their notable free agents being Marcus Morris and Montrezl Harrell. I genuinely have no idea what these two will command given the uncertainty with the current climate. Morris was making 15M this year, with Harrell making another 6M.

I'm assuming Harrell will command significantly more than that having won Sixth Man of the Year. Let's say Harrell resigns with the Clippers for an average of 12M per year, and Morris returns for the same 15M per year (non-Bird rights) he was making this year.

Your assets at this point include a 33 year old Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly at 13M with an additional year at 14M, Marcus Morris at 15M, Montrezl Harrell at 12M, Ivica Zubac, and Landry Shamet. I could be biased, but I only see one of those as really being an asset (Zubac). Morris and Harrell might be assets depending on how their deals are structured, but I feel that's unlikely.

I guess if I were to summarize. . . I don't really see how they're able to upgrade this roster.

Good observations bro.

I believe even an above avarage guard who can shoot&play p&R and off to ball consistently would do wonder to that toxic offensive scheme. Spencer Dinwiddie would be my top choice but not sure Nets would be interested on any of Harrell-Beverley-Lou. More realistically Tomas Satoransky would be my target from Chicago. Sato also has huge body that bothers lot of wings on opposing teams.

I can't see us making a big move for those "big names" mentioned in this thread.

Tomas Satoransky was my first choice for the Clippers in the trade deadline. I was surprised they added Jackson who doesnt fix any of their problems.

Well I have to admit, those problems wasn't seem to be a big deal during that time, seemed the team chemistry will grow on time and fix much of it. Anyway, who would of thought that kind of choke to happen can take me as his follower.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by Alatan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:36 pm

DieHardFan wrote:
Alatan wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:
Good observations bro.

Well I have to admit, those problems wasn't seem to be a big deal during that time, seemed the team chemistry will grow on time and fix much of it. Anyway, who would of thought that kind of choke to happen can take me as his follower.

Didnt expect them to choke or even lose this early but they always looked worse than the sum of their parts. Their offense was always disjointed and relies too much on isolation. Thats not how a great team plays.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,484

Post#99 » by Synciere » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Long term money doesn’t have to be big money like Westbrook or wall or CP3. It could mean a guy has 2 or 3 or 4 years left. Maybe an Aaron Gordon from the Magic. Maybe a Rubio or Oubre from Phoenix. Maybe Murray from San Antonio.
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#100 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Yeah.. no.. it's all downhill from here. You're looking at 30 year olds who need to be load managed and treated like glass men. Also, their assets are poo poo. To get anyone of note that can improve their roster, they'd have to give up something of note. They've no picks and are screwed. All that money Ballmer threw at the media to hype them up..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fat entitled ogre
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."

Return to The General Board