Swap Kawhi and Lebron in the Nuggets series...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Result after swapping LeBron for Kawhi

...worse, they wouldnt have won 3 games (explain below)
4%
...same, LeBron couldnt have stopped Jokic or scored significantly more to make a difference (explain below)
12%
...better, LeBron would have won the series because (explain below)
84%

Total votes: 164

LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: Swap Kawhi and Lebron in the Nuggets series... 

Post#81 » by LesGrossman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:21 am

Stan wrote:You really think LeBron is putting up 14 points on 6/22 in a Game 7?

I dont think he would now (he had his own choke games). The question is, would he have scored so much more to actually change the result? Some guy earlier posted they wouldnt have been crushed like that but likely would have lost by 8-10 points. Also keep in mind hwo Kawhi got double and triple teamed and they really forced the ball out of his hands. The shots he took were poor ones, there was nothing open for him. Bron would have made more for sure but i dont know how much more.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,445

Post#82 » by toodles23 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 am

LesGrossman wrote:Very interesting, never thought of it this way. Thats a scary thought. I didnt think he looked physically handicapped though, just mentally outplayed / out of wits on what to do to overcome the adversity.

I thought there was a lack of athletic pop from him in the 2nd half of the last 3 games in that series. I guess it could have been all mental but plays like this at 2:59 seem like a physical problem to me

LesGrossman wrote:I think its really hard to compare totally different series and those guys' performaances against each other. LeBron played in a different role than Kawhi and he had his 2011 choke as well; for Kawhi this was the first time that he as the lead guy failed. I cant take any pattern out of this one sample.

Lebron hasn't had a playoff series since then that you can call a "choke" by any reasonable definition. And this was not the first time Kawhi failed as the lead guy, he also had very subpar elimination performances in 2015 and 2016.

LesGrossman wrote:No, i cant. What do you think would have happened? Because he could only either try to score more or do more playmaking, both cant happen at the same time. And playmaking would not have worked very well with guys who hit the side of the backboard under pressure of game 7...

Of course you can do both, Lebron's done it his whole career, as have other heliocentric guys like Luka or Harden. Even score first guys like MJ and Kobe did a lot more playmaking/initiating and generally controlling the tempo than Kawhi does. There are plenty of possessions every game where Kawhi basically doesn't anything on offense - if he had better playmaking skills he would be controlling more possessions every game.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#83 » by LikeABosh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 am

Clippers in 5. LeBron is a much better leader and game manager. He's probably not gonna let his team collapse on offense and defense over and over again
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#84 » by homecourtloss » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:09 am

The Master wrote:
Arrow wrote:Lol @ eventually catching up to LeBron as a passer.

'When you accidentally show your anti-LeBron agenda' :lol:

His sig and every other thread/post he has gives it away :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#85 » by JordansBulls » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 am

Probably as the Clippers would have had more open shots.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#86 » by homecourtloss » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:14 am

Bornstellar wrote:Lebron would average a 30 points triple double with that roster around him. His #2 is superior in Davis but the Clippers have so many weapons and LeBron would have gotten the best out of them. Clippers definitely win with LBJ in Nephews place

Top to bottom, this would be by far LeBron’s best roster.

Also, OP and others would be quick to write something to the effect of “LeBrOn TuRnEd GeOrGe iNtO a SpOt uP ShOoTeR.”

What did Kawhi turn him into?

Additionally this: people just assume due to narrative that Kawhi is a different tier of defender when LeBron was a better defender during the regular season and has been much better defender than Kawhi in the playoffs. Clippers have actually been worse defensively with Kawhi on court.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
JoeyLightYears
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,537

Post#87 » by JoeyLightYears » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 am

LMAO at the poll results. Talk about a thread backfire.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,482

Post#88 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:30 am

JoeyLightYears wrote:LMAO at the poll results. Talk about a thread backfire.

And you can tell he tried to frame the poll options to make people choose the "same" option
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#89 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 am

Im not sure if there's data to prove this, but I think Lebron elevates his teammates better than Kwahi.
metalinguss
Veteran
And1: 1,849

Post#90 » by metalinguss » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:33 am

Clippers would close out in Game 5. LeBron would be a better fit and would address the Clippers' need for a facilitator and floor genera;.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#91 » by dautjazz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:33 am

Lebron can basically do everything at a similar level in playoffs where he steps up everything about his game including defense and then he really seperates himself from Leonard with his playmaking. Its a no brainer that the Clippers would easily win that series with Lebron instead.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,422

Post#92 » by picko » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:37 am

My view on LeBron in the playoffs (post 2011 meltdown) is that you are only going to beat him if you have an overwhelming talent / coaching advantage. If the talent levels are similar or if the opponent isn't considerably better then LeBron will find a way to win. In a Clippers vs Nuggets series, with LeBron, I think the Clippers have a clear talent advantage top-to-bottom and therefore it's really difficult to see LeBron not changing that outcome.
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#93 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 am

PaulieWal wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Again theres no question that LeBron is superior playmaker (Kawhi improved this season and will eventually catch up), but my point was that guys got open shots actually! They just continued to choke and miss in the 2nd half of games.

No, he won't. Based on what? Or are you going to list another 15 guys who can be the same level of playmaker LeBron.

It's not just about open shots, it's also about being a floor general and controlling the pace of the game at which LeBron is one of the best in the league and Kawhi just can't do that. No shame in that.

Have you seen OPs post history? It's a blatant troll thread and he survives on LeBron hate..
:lol: like that IT movie.. :lol:

I mean, look at the bolded statement.. Kawhi isn't even in the same stratosphere as LeBron when it comes to playmaking, passing and being a floor general. The Cavs and the Lakers frequently missed open shots yet they win games. How? You'd end up explaining all this like we do to 5-7 yr olds and even then it wouldn't hit home..
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,431

Post#94 » by OfficialRef » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 am

Obviously with Lebron they win. Lebron fills a big hole that the clippers lack in playmaking.

It does bring a good questions of whether a Lebron-led clippers team would be better than the current lakers.
russ00
Freshman
And1: 54

Post#95 » by russ00 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:17 am

I think that besides playmayking Kawhi lacks leadership. Comparing it with football i think Kawhi is more like messi, one of the best if not the best player but lacks leadership and that is something that the Clippers lacked to close the series. LeBron is like Ronaldo,has a different type of mentality and drive that would have help the Clippers to win. For me the Nuggets are not even that strong of a team, thats why they have been losing two series 3-1 in the first place, but they are a cohesive unit with a better mindset than the Clippers.But we will have a better answer after the LA-Nuggets series is over
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,551

Post#96 » by Alatan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:04 am

The Nuggets played good but the Clippers also choked hard. I would not expect the Clippers under LeBron to choke all 3 games.
Air Apparent
Rookie
And1: 1,239

Post#97 » by Air Apparent » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 am

if lebrons teammtes were playing as bad as kawhis, we've already seen how quick he distances himself and quits when something like that happens, he would be sitting in the empty stands, let alone the end of the bench
basketball is a team sport
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#98 » by packforfreedom » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:22 am

LeBron is a far better playmaker and floor general und also better at getting to the rim. Kawhi relies on his jumper and it killed him in game 7.

But I understand it has been a tough week for the LeBron hate crew and I doubt it's going to get better any time soon.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#99 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am

Idk what the final number of games would have been but there is no way in hell Lebron would lose 3 games in a row where he was up double digits by the 3rd in all of them
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,861

Post#100 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

LeBron's playmaking would for sure have helped but I doubt even someone like LeBron could get this mess of a team to work together.

Return to The General Board