Are the Lakers starters "built different"? Averaging 20% less fouls a minute than opposing starters

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Are all free throws created equal?

Yes - if FTs are even throughout series, it's an evenly officiated series
22%
No - racking up fouls on opposing superstars is much more important than bench players
78%

Total votes: 51

LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: Are the Lakers starters "built different"? Averaging 20% less fouls a minute than opposing starters 

Post#101 » by LesGrossman » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:10 pm

TheGOATWill wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
TheGOATWill wrote:Lebron and AD haven’t been foul prone pre-Lakers. Defending without fouling is a skill. All the good defenders do it.

And somehow star players suddenly suck at it as soon as they face LeBron.

It's weird how guys like Jokic and Bam get touch/phantom fouls early in the game, sending them to the bench and taking away their rythem/intensity.

LeBron started the game 2-6 with 9 points and Bam picked up two fouls. It should have been 2-8 with 5 points and 0 fouls on Bam.

How that game would have been different had the refs not influenced the outcome so early on...

I remember when Stephen Curry fouled out of game 6 in 2016. Bogus calls on a star player that had never even commited more than 4 fouls all season.

It's pathetic.

Did the Lakers get any bad calls last night?

What about the two quick phantom fouls on the heats best player in the 1st q?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Re: Are the Lakers starters "built different"? Averaging 20% less fouls a minute than opposing starters 

Post#102 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:12 pm

Well, they wear lakers jersey while others dont
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#103 » by Poohdini1 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:12 pm

Yes. They're more talented, and benefit from their star power getting less fouls than the other team. NBA has always been this way.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,464

Post#104 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:14 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
TheGOATWill wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
And somehow star players suddenly suck at it as soon as they face LeBron.

It's weird how guys like Jokic and Bam get touch/phantom fouls early in the game, sending them to the bench and taking away their rythem/intensity.

LeBron started the game 2-6 with 9 points and Bam picked up two fouls. It should have been 2-8 with 5 points and 0 fouls on Bam.

How that game would have been different had the refs not influenced the outcome so early on...

I remember when Stephen Curry fouled out of game 6 in 2016. Bogus calls on a star player that had never even commited more than 4 fouls all season.

It's pathetic.

Did the Lakers get any bad calls last night?

Bam lacks Lebron and AD's discipline on defence. He will learn to foul less when he joins the Lakers one day.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#105 » by LesGrossman » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:17 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
TheGOATWill wrote:Did the Lakers get any bad calls last night?

Bam lacks Lebron and AD's discipline on defence. He will learn to foul less when he joins the Lakers one day.

yeah instantly.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#106 » by Brofessor24 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:42 pm

th87 wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
th87 wrote:
Seems you're the hurt one :dontknow:

Seek professional help boyo.

You're projecting boyo.

I believe you are boyo.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#107 » by Ice Man » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:46 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Bam lacks Lebron and AD's discipline on defence. He will learn to foul less when he joins the Lakers one day.

Or the Heat could switch to gold uniforms, that might do it.
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,431

Post#108 » by OfficialRef » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:09 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a player get more babied in the playoffs then Anthony Davis has during this run.

He never got these soft calls in his previous years in the Pelicans, so why now?

Even notorious free throw baiters like Harden see a decrease or at least more harder fouls called but for Davis it seems to have reversed where the officials will award him for the slightest bump. Why is this?
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#109 » by Mickey8 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:58 pm

Lakers are the NBA league, they go through the channels to get favorable officiating , thats what they did after the game three against Denver, and we know what happened in the rest of the series, even nbabreakdown coach guy, made the video about favorable officiating for the Lakers , in any other sport league that would be a scandal, lobbying publicly for the calls through the secret channels , but not in the NBA and the media works for the Lakers, not one word about that ,to criticize Lakers organization on their crappy espn, fox tv shows, they even encouraged that :roll:
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#110 » by Mickey8 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:05 pm

nedleeds wrote:Jokic was giving euro fouls in an elimination game for no reason. He's a moron and even worse his coach is a complete and utter moron who in two years still hasn't been able to coach this behavior out of his best player. He's Scott Brooks with a crew cut.

He made one euro foul for the whole series, in game 4, stop lying, the rest of them were phantom calls, the game 1 was ridiculous how fast they call some very non existing fouls against him ,not the mention how many times Jokic was hacked by Howard in the series and refs didn't call fouls on Howard, ridiculous. While Davis was getting all kind of calls against the blowing wind or Lebron bulldozing through Denver defenders and committing offensive fouls and not being called for them.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#111 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:09 pm

OfficialRef wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a player get more babied in the playoffs then Anthony Davis has during this run.

He never got these soft calls in his previous years in the Pelicans, so why now?

Even notorious free throw baiters like Harden see a decrease or at least more harder fouls called but for Davis it seems to have reversed where the officials will award him for the slightest bump. Why is this?

The offense doesn't run through AD on the Lakers like it did with the Pels, which means the team can set him up and create mismatches (hence more fouls). I also believe Vogel is a far superior coach than what AD had in NO.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#112 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:13 pm

There's this weird inferiority complex when it comes to the Lakers. When Laker fans point out games where the refs seem to favor the other team, the replies are always just a smattering of "lolz" and "lakers deserve it for all the calls they got in the past". So we aren't allowed to acknowledge when the calls go the other way, but when it's in favor of the Lakers it's all a conspiracy. I've just come to the point where I say "good" when it favors the Lakers. If opposing fans can't be objective then I'll just enjoy it.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Post#113 » by hongdayuan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:45 pm

wutevahung wrote:- find out LBJ and Davis's career foul rates, and the foul rates for Vogel coached teams, then compare and contrast with this post season
- do Lakers starting 5 commit more or less fouls historically, or just this season, or just this post season.
- do teams make it to the finals commit less fouls than other teams historically?
- what is Jokic's foul rate in two years of play offs and how does it compare to Lakers series, and how do other stars do when they face LBJ or the Lakers?
- What' are teams' foul drawing rate in games against top 5 defense in regular and in play off?

I am just making a list out of top of my head that I think if you need in order to make a real argument.
Cherry picking a couple random stats and stacking the poll with an obvious answer shows a clear agenda and lack of logic.

some of the things you listed are more or less presented in this thread.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#114 » by wutevahung » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:57 pm

th87 wrote:The denial here is hilarious from the fans of the very team that was most egregiously gifted a win in Game 6 of 2002.

With a former ref admitting it to the FBI.

With the NBA then taking over and squashing the investigation.

The league is *obviously* skewed. Anyone denying this is delusional or has tied their self-worth so tightly to their team's success that they steadfastly refuse to see it.

Or anyone who cries about it without real evidence is just blind by jealousy and wish his team can get all those all time great and win like the lakers do.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#115 » by wutevahung » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:59 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:There's this weird inferiority complex when it comes to the Lakers. When Laker fans point out games where the refs seem to favor the other team, the replies are always just a smattering of "lolz" and "lakers deserve it for all the calls they got in the past". So we aren't allowed to acknowledge when the calls go the other way, but when it's in favor of the Lakers it's all a conspiracy. I've just come to the point where I say "good" when it favors the Lakers. If opposing fans can't be objective then I'll just enjoy it.

I personally missed cry babies. It has been a while since we deserve the hate.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#116 » by TheGOATWill » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:09 am

The Lakers known for attacking the basket drew fewer fouls than 3 jump shooting teams. I’ll leave it there.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#117 » by mattg » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:22 am

The Lakers have been employing the Draymond Green tactic of literally hacking every single play and forcing refs to make a call. Refs in general don't want to call fouls on AD and Bron because they are stars who go absolutely berserk if they get called for a foul so they don't and also just like with Dray, eventually refs stop calling obvious fouls on role players because otherwise they'd foul the dude out in 5 minutes of play. Dwight Howard literally got away with hacking Jokic off ball nonstop last series. Just the way NBA refs are. When you push the envelope, you get more leeway and are allowed to foul repeatedly without getting called. It's a broken system for everyone, not just like the Lakers benefit.

The way you change this is simple. You make it so that any player even talking to a ref at all is an instant technical foul. You completely remove the player/ref interaction from the game. Coaches do all interacting with refs and players are not allowed to speak to refs whatsoever. It works just fine at every other level of play where players literally don't say a word to refs (or if they do they are teched instantly), but the NBA has let it get out of control and it's ruining the product by breaking up the natural flow of the game.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#118 » by Mikistan » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:07 am

JellosJigglin wrote:There's this weird inferiority complex when it comes to the Lakers. When Laker fans point out games where the refs seem to favor the other team, the replies are always just a smattering of "lolz" and "lakers deserve it for all the calls they got in the past". So we aren't allowed to acknowledge when the calls go the other way, but when it's in favor of the Lakers it's all a conspiracy. I've just come to the point where I say "good" when it favors the Lakers. If opposing fans can't be objective then I'll just enjoy it.

Your fragility is showing
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#119 » by Mikistan » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:13 am

mattg wrote:The Lakers have been employing the Draymond Green tactic of literally hacking every single play and forcing refs to make a call. Refs in general don't want to call fouls on AD and Bron because they are stars who go absolutely berserk if they get called for a foul so they don't and also just like with Dray, eventually refs stop calling obvious fouls on role players because otherwise they'd foul the dude out in 5 minutes of play. Dwight Howard literally got away with hacking Jokic off ball nonstop last series. Just the way NBA refs are. When you push the envelope, you get more leeway and are allowed to foul repeatedly without getting called. It's a broken system for everyone, not just like the Lakers benefit.

The way you change this is simple. You make it so that any player even talking to a ref at all is an instant technical foul. You completely remove the player/ref interaction from the game. Coaches do all interacting with refs and players are not allowed to speak to refs whatsoever. It works just fine at every other level of play where players literally don't say a word to refs (or if they do they are teched instantly), but the NBA has let it get out of control and it's ruining the product by breaking up the natural flow of the game.

It was the same in Cleveland. Scrubs on Lebron team can smack and hold and fall into their guys and then cry to the ref when it's finally called 1 out of 7 times. The Raptors had to play a full almost 3 quarters straight against the Lebron Cavs in the 2016 playoffs where the entire Cavs team did not commit a foul.
Like you go through have a third quarter and an entire fourth quarter with no fouls....
And then no fouls at all next game for the first quarter and another 4 mins until dahntay jones is called for one.

What is even worse, is that this nba players complaining constantly is normalized for the children in the next generation. So they can see its ok to verbally berate, yell, and intimidate to achieve success.. In aau, in highschool ball, and in life

Return to The General Board