Rumor: Doc Rivers to be offered a contract by Philly tonight.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Re: Rumor: Doc Rivers to be offered a contract by Philly tonight. 

Post#61 » by Buzzard » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:34 pm

Doc will have them playing traditional basketball and that means better usage of Embiid, Horford, and Harris. I think Simmons, Richardson, Shake, Korkmaz, Burks, and Thybulle will benefit as well.

Doc will get a lot out of of these players. That is a very deep 76er team.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#62 » by GWVan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:03 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Doc is a huge upgrade over Brown

that's not really saying much
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,562

Post#63 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:19 pm

No offer seemingly. Was it a bad source? Or not announced yet?

Edit: Marc Stein said 2 minutes ago Doc has "swiftly supplanted" Mike D'Antoni as the favorite for the Philly job. Woj saying it's between Doc and Pringles.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#64 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:27 pm

GWVan wrote:

In terms of player relationships, for sure, but Strategically I think he’s a sideways move. I think Philly needed to bring in an innovative coach that has some cutting edge ideas on how to make the pieces fit better. We’ll find out though.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,078

Post#65 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:30 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:No offer seemingly. Was it a bad source? Or not announced yet?

Edit: Marc Stein said 2 minutes ago Doc has "swiftly supplanted" Mike D'Antoni as the favorite for the Philly job. Woj saying it's between Doc and Pringles.

Pringles would have made phillys offseason more fun. Not sure what they do with the roster if Doc's there.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#66 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:00 pm

The_Hater wrote:
GWVan wrote:

In terms of player relationships, for sure, but Strategically I think he’s a sideways move. I think Philly needed to bring in an innovative coach that has some cutting edge ideas on how to make the pieces fit better. We’ll find out though.

It depends on who you are referring to. MDA was going to force them to move guys because he has his system and either refuses or does a poor job adjusting to the talent on the roster.

Doc system is much more suited for the elite talent on the roster the rest of the guys were not going to get moved anyways but he'd probably be benching Horford. As far as Brown goes he really had the worst management of any coach in the league not only as it relates to preparation but also managing timeouts and plays coming out of a timeout.

He also despite being a so called developmental coach didn't develop Simmons and Embiid at all. He turns Embiid into a 3PT decoy most nights it's ridiculous. The turnovers never really got better either. Do trades need to be made? Of course. However, Doc can add a level of professionalism this team lacks
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#67 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:07 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
GWVan wrote:

It depends on who you are referring to. MDA was going to force them to move guys because he has his system and either refuses or does a poor job adjusting to the talent on the roster.

Doc system is much more suited for the elite talent on the roster the rest of the guys were not going to get moved anyways but he'd probably be benching Horford. As far as Brown goes he really had the worst management of any coach in the league not only as it relates to preparation but also managing timeouts and plays coming out of a timeout.

He also despite being a so called developmental coach didn't develop Simmons and Embiid at all. He turns Embiid into a 3PT decoy most nights it's ridiculous. The turnovers never really got better either. Do trades need to be made? Of course. However, Doc can add a level of professionalism this team lacks

You could be right but he had elite talent when he guided the Clippers to a 2nd round demise and then complained that he wasn’t given a championship level roster.

I do think he could be good for Simmons and Embiid though. One needs to lose weight and stay in better shape and the other needs to expand his offensive game to fully take advantage of his skills. That’s where his presence needs to be felt. If they both jump a level or two, people aren’t going to be complaining about an ill fitting roster nearly as much.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,404

Post#68 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:08 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:No offer seemingly. Was it a bad source? Or not announced yet?

Pringles would have made phillys offseason more fun. Not sure what they do with the roster if Doc's there.

Same thing they did with Brown. Literally nothing changes if they hire Doc.
Jason_Todd
Junior
And1: 198

Post#69 » by Jason_Todd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:09 pm

Doc should go to the Pelicans
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,160

Post#70 » by og15 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:40 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Going from the idea of trading Embiid or Simmons to hire Mike to...

Hiring one of the worst coaches of all time who's one skill is not coaching so NBA players do what they want.

If this happens I think it's pretty clear cut the trading Embiid or Simmons and hire Mike thing was pure bull invented by the media for clicks.

Doc is not a great coach, but Doc is nowhere close to one of the worst coaches of all time. He's still an above average to good coach, but some situations fit him better than others.

When Doc joined the Clippers, he did a good job of directing Griffin's game and utilizing more of his skills as well as making Jordan more effective and consistent. He's not a bad coach, but he's also not amazing, he can certainly help figure out some better ways to utilize the Sixers stars, but can he make them a top contender..well..not sure, but their roster isn't some clear top roster either.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#71 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:53 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Same thing they did with Brown. Literally nothing changes if they hire Doc.

They get a better coach. Brown was objectively one of the worst coaches in the league
JAYZGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,528

Post#72 » by JAYZGOAT » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:01 pm

Sixers are doomed. Am I doing this right?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,957

Post#73 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:07 pm

Jason_Todd wrote:Doc should go to the Pelicans

Seems like a no brainer, right? You have Philly's absurd cap situation and baggage OR a generational talent on a rookie deal with high IQ vets in Redick and Holiday.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#74 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:22 pm

og15 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Going from the idea of trading Embiid or Simmons to hire Mike to...

Hiring one of the worst coaches of all time who's one skill is not coaching so NBA players do what they want.

If this happens I think it's pretty clear cut the trading Embiid or Simmons and hire Mike thing was pure bull invented by the media for clicks.

Doc is not a great coach, but Doc is nowhere close to one of the worst coaches of all time. He's still an above average to good coach, but some situations fit him better than others.

When Doc joined the Clippers, he did a good job of directing Griffin's game and utilizing more of his skills as well as making Jordan more effective and consistent. He's not a bad coach, but he's also not amazing, he can certainly help figure out some better ways to utilize the Sixers stars, but can he make them a top contender..well..not sure, but their roster isn't some clear top roster either.

Well when he was the coach of the team I root for and won a championship it was obvious he was a horrible coach but had a great assistant coach who did all the work.

And his records of 3-1 playoff series leads is the only thing that you need to know about Doc Rivers. And it's one that as much as anyone can't be surprised by record setting failure no one is surprised Doc is the one that reached that level of failure. Case closed.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#75 » by lamscott » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:27 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Well damn! Imaging your old boss taking your new job opportunity from you.

I really hope the Clippers gamble for a college coach or something. Not Lue.

Hey dude - What do you think of all the Ballmer talk from Rusillo?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/j39ucz/russillo_pod_ballmer_went_against_front_offices/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#76 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:30 pm

Pure privilege
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Merc85
Freshman
And1: 122

Post#77 » by Merc85 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:41 pm

Please NO, rather have the other Brown back named Larry
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#78 » by dautjazz » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:43 pm

I guess the Clippers will sign MDA? That would be hilarious
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,173

Post#79 » by eyeatoma » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:49 pm

https://fusion.inquirer.com/sixers/doc-rivers-philadelphia-76ers-coach-20201001.html
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,562

Post#80 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:50 pm

lamscott wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Well damn! Imaging your old boss taking your new job opportunity from you.

I really hope the Clippers gamble for a college coach or something. Not Lue.

Hey dude - What do you think of all the Ballmer talk from Rusillo?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/j39ucz/russillo_pod_ballmer_went_against_front_offices/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I'm team Ballmer. Overall the FO has been great... but the energy of Doc and some of the players is PATHETIC. The FO sadly is compromised by their loyalty to Doc because he's the one who hired them all! They feel like they owe him. We need an owner who goes "ballistic" about losing. That's the only way change is going to happen. These losers downplaying losses aren't going to change LOSING culture. Your Lakers consider every year they don't win a title to be a failure right? You don't just say "Well, we always have next year, let's run it back". That's a LOSER mentality.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board