Pippen puts asterisk. On title..Scottie Pippen thinks play in NBA bubble is 'pickup' basketball: 'There's no pressure"

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Porz
Junior
And1: 276

Re: Pippen puts asterisk. On title..Scottie Pippen thinks play in NBA bubble is 'pickup' basketball: 'There's no pressur 

Post#101 » by Porz » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:44 am

Porz wrote:
C3H6N6O6 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:He's right.

It's not nearly the same, not to mention teams had 4 months off before it started on top of this so it gives a dramatic advantage to older players. Or ones that are generally out of shape (only Embiid comes to mind for this one).

It's just... an asterisk of and asterisk season.

Also likely why we've seen crazy things happen. 3 50 point games in one series, multiple 1-3 leads blown, the team with the best record getting swept was it?

Whole lot of unusual situations have lead to very unusual results.

Wouldn't that benefit Kawhi the most?

I don´t think so. It´s a new team, even Lebron needed one year for the team to gel. Gotta say they chosed the right pieces to keep. Let´s see who Clippers will choose. But yeah, for a new team with no chemistry, laying off for months will do more harm. Those guys didn´t have "/%¤ for focus compared to Lakers squad.
Luka Doncic life matters too. No to racism!
RoLo
Senior
And1: 1,252

Re: Pippen puts asterisk. On title..Scottie Pippen thinks play in NBA bubble is 'pickup' basketball: 'There's no pressur 

Post#102 » by RoLo » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:53 am

hes talking about this season compared to the 72 other seasons. and hes right. so many people get worked up by the sight of asterisks. the entire year 2020 was an asterisk
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#103 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:54 am

Sublime187 wrote:How do you put an asterisk when everybody is dealing with the same ****? Man Pip cmon...

if they decided the title by having every team play their games with NBA 2K instead of on the court that would still be "everyone dealing with the same ****"

Pippen is not wrong. not the asterisk part necessarily, but the part where it is easier on players and teams. there really is no having to go win on the road. there is no adjusting to different rims. there is no travel. the media presence is 1000 times less than normal. they also arent coming off the grind of a condensed 82 game season but a spread out 60 game season where 90% of the bubble games were irrelevant.

Some teams got to face opponents missing 90% of their core. Toronto played a nets team that left 3 starters and 6 rotation players out due to COVID. They would have beat the nets anyway but thats basically a 1st round bye.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#104 » by HomoSapien » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:56 am

I think most of us are in agreement that these playoffs are just weird and that it's always going to be in a category of its own. That said, I think the way Pippen is talking about this is pretty disrespectful.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#105 » by kombayn » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:01 am

Being away from your family for 3 months, never being able to leave the campus would probably drive some people nuts, the Jacob Blake shooting and almost cancellation of the playoffs entirely. Doing all this while during the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu?! C'mon on. If anything this adds to it. Especially for the Lakers, this will truly be a special to get to #17 and match the Celtics.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#106 » by RamonSessions7 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:03 am

Well Scottie Pippen has been so influential in my own opinions, so I'll take this to heart.
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,428

Post#107 » by TRik » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:03 am

Prokorov wrote:
Sublime187 wrote:How do you put an asterisk when everybody is dealing with the same ****? Man Pip cmon...

if they decided the title by having every team play their games with NBA 2K instead of on the court that would still be "everyone dealing with the same ****"

Pippen is not wrong. not the asterisk part necessarily, but the part where it is easier on players and teams. there really is no having to go win on the road. there is no adjusting to different rims. there is no travel. the media presence is 1000 times less than normal. they also arent coming off the grind of a condensed 82 game season but a spread out 60 game season where 90% of the bubble games were irrelevant.

Some teams got to face opponents missing 90% of their core. Toronto played a nets team that left 3 starters and 6 rotation players out due to COVID. They would have beat the nets anyway but thats basically a 1st round bye.

Another hater trying to discredit Lebron

lol. Or just someone reasonably acknowledging that 2020 is vastly different.
‘Silly rabbit’
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#108 » by The Rodzilla » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:03 am

TRik wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:I think two things are true:

1) The Lakers are the only team since the break that has looked remotely like an actual contender. And even they had a slow start in the bubble but once they got going they've looked like they belong here.
2) This season definitely will have an asterisk for many people. We've never seen this happen before, where the regular season is this disconnected from the playoffs, by an actual period of 4 months (which is the same or longer than the entirety of a normal offseason). The circumstances were the same for everyone but it doesn't mean it affected all players the same. A good number of players didn't even want to return to play, including players who were on playoff contenders.

Also, Pippen is right about the travel, distractions, fans in arena. Don't see what he said wrong really. I would still give the Lakers credit for being the best team this year but it isn't like other years and things very well may have turned out different if play had continued through March.

100 percent.

The word asterisk around here has somehow become a curse word. All an asterisk is, is a symbol to indicate there is a footnote. Get with it people, the word asterisk isn't bad. If there ever was an NBA season deserving on an asterisk, it's this one. And here's what it would read:

*due to COVID-19, all NBA playoffs were held in Orlando, Florida. No fans were permitted to attend games.

How outrageous is that?????

The Jordan fans mean it as a curse word, as in Lebron still only has 3 championships whatever happens this series
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#109 » by Dmagic » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:16 am

none of you are qualified to tell Pippen to shut up or stfu. You mad bros? yeah of course you dont like to hear what he said, but we are talking about scottie pippen-someone who has played in the nba. and with the GOAT. there is a reason he has clout. lmao you really mad now
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,428

Post#110 » by TRik » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:23 am

Dmagic wrote:none of you are qualified to tell Pippen to shut up or stfu. You mad bros? yeah of course you dont like to hear what he said, but we are talking about scottie pippen-someone who has played in the nba. and with the GOAT. there is a reason he has clout. lmao you really mad now

He also said something reasonable in light of the completely different playoff arrangements. People either didn't read his quote and chose to overreact, or they are unwilling to acknowledge the bubble is different.
‘Silly rabbit’
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#111 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:24 am

i dunno know about pippen or whatever, but anyone who thinks the bubble is NOT an aberration needs to get a check up
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#112 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:58 am

Fair Enough... I put an asterisk on almost all the championships of the 90's..

I mean... Just look at those defenses, the offensive execution... :lol:
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#113 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:06 am

Pippen’s always seemed to me like a pretty dumb and insecure dude. He should take a lesson or two from IT about subtly hating with seemingly believable arguments when he has an agenda.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#114 » by God Squad » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:09 am

He's not wrong. The games have felt like YMCA atmosphere with no crowds. No pressure on players to "make" shots during clutch moments while fans tear into them, no homecourt advantage. But we knew this going in, so anyone complaining is just sour grapes.

Good Luck Lakers/Heat
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 14,967

Post#115 » by Sgt Major » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:21 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:Pippen’s always seemed to me like a pretty dumb and insecure dude. He should take a lesson or two from IT about subtly hating with seemingly believable arguments when he has an agenda.

Yeah, the salesman at least knows how to sell his bull, while Pippen always sounds like a total idiot.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#116 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:35 am

Kilroy wrote:Pippen is the biggest, most predictable Laker Hater ever, next to Bill Simmons... Means not a thing.

Laimbeer is bigger than both of the put together, and hates their favorite teams too. So there. :)

This season became an asterisk the moment the structure of the season and post-season was changed in the middle of the season.
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#117 » by Bigfactsstackz » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:41 am

WHITE_HOT_HEAT wrote:Fair Enough... I put an asterisk on almost all the championships of the 90's..

I mean... Just look at those defenses, the offensive execution... :lol:

I see nothing wrong in any of those clips
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#118 » by LastNameEver » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:46 am

You will the most proven players giving their honest assessments but people here will still think their opinion has less value than theirs lol
bamheat
Senior
And1: 1,152

Post#119 » by bamheat » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:59 am

The asterisk is because it is the hardest championship to win ever. The mental hoops these players had to go through was astronomical, also Lakers had NO homecourt advantage throughout playoffs.

If Lakers win it will go down as the most impressive Championship ever. Imagine have homecourt advantage and then losing it ALL. Only Bron could pull this off.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#120 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:45 am

Pippen is out there blabbering about this while having no idea what it was actually like for the players to be cooped up in a bubble for months. His opinion on this means very little to me. He's just another media face always grasping for hot takes to make on tv now. I'd be much more interested in hearing the opinions of players who went through all of this if I wanted to hear from someone and compare it to previous years.

Return to The General Board