LaMelo backs out of Combine

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Re: LaMelo backs out of Combine 

Post#21 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:51 pm

naabzor wrote:He is terrible and somehow has worst shot mechanics compared to his brother.

only way his mechanic is worse than Zo is if he had MKG mechanics :lol:
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#22 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:53 pm

Brofessor24 wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
What baggage?

This guy for one:

So what?

Lavar is not a problem at all.

I thought that too when Zo was drafted, then every time we had issues in the media about the Lakers, Lavar was center stage, even had to have Magic call him at some pt to tell him to stfu, its not a good look nor worth the time/effort for these Ball bros
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#23 » by thebigbird » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:57 pm

This dude is going to be a bust.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#24 » by jason bourne » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:58 pm

I think it means, "Ladies and gentlemen, the number one pick of the 2020 NBA Draft is" LaMelo Ball!!!
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#25 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:02 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
naabzor wrote:He is terrible and somehow has worst shot mechanics compared to his brother.

only way his mechanic is worse than Zo is if he had MKG mechanics :lol:

Zo has a good release now fam
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#26 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:03 pm

IF Minn gets their individual work outs with LaMelo and they were not impressed, dont do what Magic did lol....go with your 1st instinct
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#27 » by Pharmcat » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:03 pm

Optms wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:You could give me a Ball brother for free on my team and I would still pass

These guys are not worth the trouble

What trouble are you talking about?

I feel like you are exaggerating.

Probably the stigma his dad brings.

Lonzo has been nothing but well spoken, humble, and a low key player his entire stint since being in the league. No issues in the locker room or off. He's vanilla white as they come. He was raised right.

Except lozno has done nothing to justify the number 2 pick . He along with his dad conned everyone
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#28 » by limbo » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:05 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:I don't hold it against any projected lotto pick if they don't participate in the combine. If I knew I was going top 15 practically guaranteed I wouldn't attend the combine either. Ball is on my 'please, god, no' list for the Hornets but this isn't a reason why.

He would fit right in beautifully with the Hornets :D

But seriously, do you think Mike would be looking to get a player like him? I don't know if Mike wants to deal with that circus after seeing how Lonzo turned out. Especially as the 3rd selection, you have a lot more to choose from.

I think Minnesota will get for either Edwards or Hayes, Warriors go for Avdija and Hornets go for Wiseman or Toppin.
lakers2020
Senior
And1: 513

Post#29 » by lakers2020 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:05 pm

Lavar is a very wiley, intelligent, creative guy that did a great job getting his kids to the NBA, but now it's time for him to stay in his lane.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#30 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:12 pm

He doesnt want teams to see that he isnt close to 6'8, isnt that athletic and hasnt improved his shot.

Minny taking him #1 would be hilarious. That 'big 3' will get so many nationally televised games as the NBA hype machine works to promote the new #1 pick and they will, without a doubt, be a tremendously bad team.

Minnesota needs OO but they will go for the flash and it will set them back. They have 2 guys who could feasibly average 60ppg together. They need guys who impact the game when the ball isnt in their hands. OO is just that, a Bam clone who lacks his passing. He is clearly the best fit for them but they will blow it.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#31 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:14 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:He doesnt want teams to see that he isnt close to 6'8, isnt that athletic and hasnt improved his shot.

Minny taking him #1 would be hilarious. That 'big 3' will get so many nationally televised games as the NBA hype machine works to promote the new #1 pick and they will, without a doubt, be a tremendously bad team.

He's not BPA and they have D'Lo, it would have to be Edwards if they keep it

OO would also make sense
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#32 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:21 pm

limbo wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:I don't hold it against any projected lotto pick if they don't participate in the combine. If I knew I was going top 15 practically guaranteed I wouldn't attend the combine either. Ball is on my 'please, god, no' list for the Hornets but this isn't a reason why.

He would fit right in beautifully with the Hornets :D

But seriously, do you think Mike would be looking to get a player like him? I don't know if Mike wants to deal with that circus after seeing how Lonzo turned out. Especially as the 3rd selection, you have a lot more to choose from.

I think Minnesota will get for either Edwards or Hayes, Warriors go for Avdija and Hornets go for Wiseman or Toppin.

I certainly hope you're right about MJ not having the stomach to deal with the Ball circus :nod: I think his influence in the front office is overblown though, especially these days. Cho might have gotten pushed around by MJ but Mitch Kupchak seems to have free rein since he became GM so I suspect it all comes down to how he feels and ownership won't overrule him. One thing that Kupchak has definitely changed is that MJ no longer sells our 2nd round picks, Mitch loves his projects at the end of the draft and the results with Devonte Graham and the Cody Martin have been encouraging.

Ball is such a wild card. I could see any of the top 3 either choosing him or trading down to a team who covets him between 4-9, opinions are all over the place on his upside. Personally I don't think he's ever going to be a plus defender, the form on his jumper is erratic (as are the results) and he doesn't have much finishing ability near the rim. The family stuff certainly seals it, but even if he were raised by the Obamas I'd prefer to stay away.

For Charlotte I'm good with anyone other than Ball, Toppin and Deni. I don't think the latter two can become more than role players. This is a mystery box draft, I just hope Mitch can hit here the way he did with PJ, Graham and Martin.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#33 » by jimmy keys » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:49 pm

Hahaha this family gonna con the league twice. Grifters.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#34 » by Brofessor24 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:41 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
This guy for one:

So what?

I thought that too when Zo was drafted, then every time we had issues in the media about the Lakers, Lavar was center stage, even had to have Magic call him at some pt to tell him to stfu, its not a good look nor worth the time/effort for these Ball bros

Quit being melodramatic. A parent talking to the media is a non-issue IMO.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#35 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:43 pm

Brofessor24 wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
So what?

ummm hes NOT just talking, he just bashes and talk **** like us fans but since hes Zo pop he has clout with the media and nothing melodramatic about it, Magic had to call him and tell him to chill. Look it up
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#36 » by Brofessor24 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:45 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:I thought that too when Zo was drafted, then every time we had issues in the media about the Lakers, Lavar was center stage, even had to have Magic call him at some pt to tell him to stfu, its not a good look nor worth the time/effort for these Ball bros

ummm hes NOT just talking, he just bashes and talk **** like us fans but since hes Zo pop he has clout with the media and nothing melodramatic about it, Magic had to call him and tell him to chill. Look it up

Magic didn't need to do that IMO. He should have focused on things that were actually important.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,156

Post#37 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:50 pm

LofJ wrote:Lavar Ball is black Trump. They both understand that effective self-promotion is one of the best ways to create opportunities. It works - Trump turned a reality TV show into a springboard for the presidency. And Lavar is going to succeed in getting two of his sons picked at the top of the draft. People and organizations fall for it all the time, flash over substance is a common phrase for a reason.

but Lonzo is actually pretty good.

and Lamelo actually looks good too. Don't think they need their dad as their. game on the court does all the talking
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#38 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:12 pm

I was surprised he was willing to participate.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,561

Post#39 » by dc » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:26 pm

Not sure why this is news. Guy has nothing to gain from being there.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.

Return to The General Board