Minnesota TimberWolves Are “Confused” Over What To Do With #1 Pick

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Minnesota TimberWolves Are “Confused” Over What To Do With #1 Pick 

Post#1 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:01 pm

Maaaaan, Leon Rose needs to offer Frank, #8, and a future Dallas first... even #27 if we must.

No Zion Williamson, no Ja Morant, no clue. The Timberwolves have reportedly been trying to trade the top selection in the 2020 NBA Draft and one Western Conference executive told Bleacher Report that Minnesota is “confused” as to what to do.

The executive added that the Timberwolves feel they are under increased scrutiny after “messing up last year by trading for Jarrett Culver.”

https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/timberwolves-confused-over-lamelo-ball-nba-draft-decision/
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Re: Minnesota TimberWolves Are “Confused” Over What To Do With #1 Pick 

Post#2 » by iamworthy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:06 pm

We don't believe you, you need more people!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#3 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:34 pm

Trade pick 1 + Culver to Hawks for Hunter + pick 6 + 2022 FRP.

Use pick 6 on Okongwu.

Minnesota need defensive wings at SF and PF.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
SpaceCenter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#4 » by SpaceCenter » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:38 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:Maaaaan, Leon Rose needs to offer Frank, #8, and a future Dallas first... even #27 if we must.

No Zion Williamson, no Ja Morant, no clue. The Timberwolves have reportedly been trying to trade the top selection in the 2020 NBA Draft and one Western Conference executive told Bleacher Report that Minnesota is “confused” as to what to do.

The executive added that the Timberwolves feel they are under increased scrutiny after “messing up last year by trading for Jarrett Culver.”

https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/timberwolves-confused-over-lamelo-ball-nba-draft-decision/

Trade it to the Raptors with Towns for Kyle Lowry and Toronto's 1st and 2nd rd pick
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:40 pm

They need to target OO. That team has the scoring with Towns and DLo. They need guys who positively impact the game without the ball in their hands, or even without scoring all together.

I would just stand pat and take OO at #1. He wont be there at 6 or 8.

I will never understand the Culver trade up. He has defensive promise, but he is putrid on offense. If they wanted that, they could have traded down for a forward, a much less surplus position than guard right now, with the same issues in Reddish.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,036

Post#6 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:51 pm

Aka, make us a trade down offer we can't refuse.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#7 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:54 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:They need to target OO. That team has the scoring with Towns and DLo. They need guys who positively impact the game without the ball in their hands, or even without scoring all together.

I will never understand the Culver trade up. He has defensive promise, but he is putrid on offense. If they wanted that, they could have traded down for a forward, a much less surplus position than guard right now, with the same issues in Reddish.

OO could be the next Bam

He should go top 5
prelude00
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#8 » by prelude00 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:56 pm

Pick Andrea Bargnani!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#9 » by Buzzard » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:They need to target OO. That team has the scoring with Towns and DLo. They need guys who positively impact the game without the ball in their hands, or even without scoring all together.

Hunter outplayed Culver by a big margin. Reddish outplayed Hunter in the 2nd half. I would not trade either for Culver.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,638

Post#10 » by Heej » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:20 pm

Lol Jarrett Culver. When will teams learn that you can't have wings that can't shoot. They're indispensable spacing out the opponents best weakside defenders.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#11 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:20 pm

And last time they drafted right before the Warriors, they selected Rubio/Flynn over Steph Curry.
#DubNation
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#12 » by Wolf of Ball St » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:25 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:

OO could be the next Bam

He should go top 5

Haven't watched any OO, other than highlight tapes and videos that would make him look good regardless of talent level. Looks like the tools are there, and he certainly seems explosive. If Bam is the comp, I'm trading down to get him regardless of what I get in return.

EDIT: or even draft him number 1 if you're not sold on anyone else and no one is willing to trade up.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#13 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:31 pm

They need a pass on this one here. Literally nobody has seen any of these guys play or workout since march. This is the longest guys have had to individually work out in their entire lives probably two times over. The mocks arent going to mean much and they are just going to have their own workouts to go by..... that being said, they need to trade this pick. They did not have skilled enough eyes to see culver wasnt athletic or good enough of a shooter to contribute and they had months to watch him, but him in a workout with their team and still couldnt see it despite everyone on this board seeing it.

They can get a guaranteed value with the pick, and a player that will help keep Towns there long term.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#14 » by naabzor » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:34 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:And last time they drafted right before the Warriors, they selected Rubio/Flynn over Steph Curry.

I mean in hindsight curry is a superstar but I don't think at the time it was so sure that he will be this good. And starting the Carter he was excellent yes but he was injured every single time... In the end Rubio was very good so yeah they ended up with an altering franchise error but in hindsight, at the time it was not a bad choice to go with Rubio.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#15 » by jimmy keys » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:40 pm

This draft just plain sucks. Worst year to have the number 1 in recent memory. At least 2000 had Kenyon Martin. This draft is like a much worse version of 2006. I'll be surprised if it even produces a couple of All star talents.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#16 » by Pharmcat » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:43 pm

This draft sucks
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#17 » by celtics543 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:46 pm

You have two choices with the pick. Draft the best player available or trade it for the best package possible. If I was Minnesota I'd probably trade the pick for someone who is established and can be a leader for their team. DLO and Towns have talent but they need a guy who can be the leader and get them to play defense. Not sure who that guy is but that's what they need. Another young guy isn't going to help them, he'll just be Andrew Wiggins replacement (huge potential and regresses, not necessarily position)
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Post#18 » by Soca » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:51 pm

Not that surprising.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,659

Post#19 » by PlatinumState » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:53 pm

I'd take Edwards and call it a day.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,897

Post#20 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:55 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Trade pick 1 + Culver to Hawks for Hunter + pick 6 + 2022 FRP.

Use pick 6 on Okongwu.

Minnesota need defensive wings at SF and PF.

Can Okongwu do anything except dunk on offense? Doesn't look like he has a jump-shot or passing ability. The only similarity to Bam seems to be body type, athleticism and shot-blocking ability. That describes a lot of guys.... like Bismack Biyombo, for example.

Return to The General Board