Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Re: Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though. 

Post#481 » by gp2015 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Alize wrote:Come on twyzted, which criteria is next? 6 titles although your god Jordan didnt reach Russels 11? Scoring per game? Guess LeBron needs to chuck up 50 shots and get 63 points and still get swept in the first round. Next one.
twyzted wrote:
Homer38 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:rofl:
This is next level insecurity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

Whether it's 6 titles or it's 11 titles or scoring per game, LeBron hasn't been able to touch either to be called GOAT, so either way, LeBron ain't it.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
hedo15
Senior
And1: 343

Post#482 » by hedo15 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:00 pm

longevity: lebron
career peak: shaq

so why exactly should we consider MJ the goat?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#483 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:04 pm

I'm not a LeBron fan.

But he were to win next year. He's the GOAT. Sorry to all Jordan fans.

LeBron has been an overall better player....just not as clutch and his amount of losses in finals has been glaring.

If he were to run through an entirely healthy league and win it next year. The GOAT.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Post#484 » by Ugalde » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:06 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I'm not a LeBron fan.

But he were to win next year. He's the GOAT. Sorry to all Jordan fans.

LeBron has been an overall better player....just not as clutch and his amount of losses in finals has been glaring.

If he were to run through an entirely healthy league and win it next year. The GOAT.

you realize he has another top 3 guy on his team right?
politics
to many 3s
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#485 » by gp2015 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:08 pm

the kanter wrote:longevity: lebron
career peak: shaq

so why exactly should we consider MJ the goat?

Since when was accomplishing less in a greater amount of time considered an accomplishment for GOAT?

Less championships
Less Finals MVPs
Less regular season MVPs
Less scoring per game
Less defensive first teams
Less defensive player of the years

Shaq had a better career peak than MJ? You're reaching son.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#486 » by jason bourne » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:53 pm

ReddoverKobe wrote:Look at the knicks guards, its a joke.

Shouldn't the Knicks start building with their guards then?

My thinking with the Knicks if they should build from their guards instead of big men. This is the way Knicks seemed to have done it since the 90s and it hasn't worked. Zeke was the worst GM in the history of the NBA in terms of spending ludricrus sums of money and getting results.

If we look at the Knicks in 2020, then they are building with Mitchell Robinson, their C, because he excels at blocking shots. He is an excellent inside shooter, doesn't turn the ball over, and rebounding is above mediocre. Not known as a C who clogs the paint, but I suppose he controls some of the paint due to being a top 10 shot blocker.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 550

Post#487 » by Gregoire » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Lebron has 2/4 rings with astericks: one lockout season and one bubble season. Bubble with two astericks actually.
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#488 » by mixerball » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:23 pm

what new fans seem to not get is how MJ got to those titles. he got a 3 peat... lost motivation... came back with it... another 3 peat.
defending titles is the most difficult thing in sports.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#489 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:28 pm

nah. He's 85% genetics 15% PEDs. Most of his success is tied to things he couldn't control. He's just physically a freak at 6'8" 260 lbs. If you gave him Larry Bird's body is he even in the NBA with no post game, mid-range game, clutch gene? Larry dominated the toughest decade in NBA history, with stars like MJ, Magic, Barkley, Moses, Kareem, Isiah, Hakeem, Ewing, and Dr. J and won three straight MVPs and finished top 2 in MVP voting 8 straight years until he was injured. He's a better shooter and rebounder than Lebron. He's an equal passer and team defender. There's never been a smarter basketball player with higher BBIQ than Bird though Lebron is elite as well. But Bird was also clutch unlike Lebron. All Lebron has on Bird was a few years of better on man defense and longevity. His era was weaker. His usage rate was higher with no defense being played so his counting stats are better due to playing with the ball in his hands so much and for so many more years. Magic and Kobe are better than Lebron as well. Kobe because he was an elite defender unlike Lebron and better scorer and Magic because he was clutch, arguably the best leader in sports history, and played Center when Kareem was out and led his team to an NBA championship. He also was a Gold medalist and NCAA champion.

Top Five

MJ
Bird
Magic
Kobe
Lebron
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#491 » by Alize » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:54 pm

GOAT ****!!
camby23 wrote:Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,837

Post#492 » by nikster » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:nah. He's 85% genetics 15% PEDs. Most of his success is tied to things he couldn't control. He's just physically a freak at 6'8" 260 lbs. If you gave him Larry Bird's body is he even in the NBA with no post game, mid-range game, clutch gene? Larry dominated the toughest decade in NBA history, with stars like MJ, Magic, Barkley, Moses, Kareem, Isiah, Hakeem, Ewing, and Dr. J and won three straight MVPs and finished top 2 in MVP voting 8 straight years until he was injured. He's a better shooter and rebounder than Lebron. He's an equal passer and team defender. There's never been a smarter basketball player with higher BBIQ than Bird though Lebron is elite as well. But Bird was also clutch unlike Lebron. All Lebron has on Bird was a few years of better on man defense and longevity. His era was weaker. His usage rate was higher with no defense being played so his counting stats are better due to playing with the ball in his hands so much and for so many more years. Magic and Kobe are better than Lebron as well. Kobe because he was an elite defender unlike Lebron and better scorer and Magic because he was clutch, arguably the best leader in sports history, and played Center when Kareem was out and led his team to an NBA championship. He also was a Gold medalist and NCAA champion.

Top Five

MJ
Bird
Magic
Kobe
Lebron

I see this all the time when people inflate past eras or players, list a bunch of hall of famers they never really faced as proof of the strength of the conference.

Ewings 38 win knicks. 2 sub 0.500 win teams featuring MJ. Rookie Barkley. Played Hakeem in his 2nd year once. Beat Isiah once.

The Kareem/Magic combo and Dr. J are the only ones he beat with any regularity
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,904

Post#493 » by Kobe187 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:02 pm

Michael Jordan is the GOAT and LeBron’s not even close.

Championships:
Jordan: 6 LeBron: 4

FMVP:
Jordan: 6 LeBron: 4

MVP:
Jordan 5 LeBron: 4

All Defence Team:
Jordan 9 LeBron 5

Scoring Tittles:
Jordan 10 LeBron 1

Steals Leader:
Jordan 3 LeBron 0

Assists Leader
LeBron 1 Jordan 0

DPOY
Jordan 1 LeBron 0

Only player to win Scoring Tittle, MVP & DPOY in same season. ACC rookie of the year. ACC player of the Year. NCAA Champion. NBA ROTY. 2 Time Dunk Champ. Triple Gold Club. List just keeps freakin going.

Jordan (Bulls)
PTS 31.5 FG% 505 3PT% 332 FT% 838 TRB 6.3 AST 5.4 STL 2.5 BLK 0.9 TOV 2.8

James
PTS 27.1 FG% 504 3PT% 344 FT% 734 TRB 7.4 AST 7.4 STL 1.6 BLK 0.8 TOV 3.5

Made playoffs:
Jordan 13/13 LeBron 14/17
Overall playoffs Win %
Jordan 66.5 LeBron 65.3
Finals Win %
Jordan 100 LeBron 40

MJ has literally everything over Lebron. Titles, accolades, stats, intangibles, eye test, impact, respect.. THERE IS NO ARGUMENT FOR LEBRON.

LeBron IS a top 5 player, but he’s no where close to Michael Jordan’s level.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#494 » by Clutch0z24 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:16 pm

People want to focus on "LeBron played better competition" thing which is true somewhat in the GSW teams with KD but he NEVER beat them teams...Lets focus on the teams LBJ BEAT ....the teams LBJ Beat in the finals all have asterisks beside them ...

Okc For his first title in 2011-2012 a lockout year if i remember...
This team was full of Rookies and babies in KD, Harden , Westbrook , Ibaka who were just simply not ready to compete for a title at this point in their careers...
a 2nd seed in the Western Conference
a 23 year old KD
23 Year old Westbrook
22 Year old Harden
22 Year old Ibaka
And other then them 4 players their bench players were TERRIBLE and i mean TERRIBLE so if any of them 4 had a bad game it was a wrap for them...their best bench player was Thabo Sefalosha who averaged 4 ppg....and a 37 year old Derrick fisher who averaged 4ppg...
This team just was not ready to compete for any titles especially against a juggernaught in Wade, Bosh, LBJ...

Pretty Easy ring and finals win for LBJ

Spurs for his 2nd title in 2012-2013...
This team was good don't get me wrong but its not like their best players were in their primes of career...
TD 36 years old, older then LBJ is now...
Tony Parker having bad leg injuries at age 30
Manu Ginobli Age 35 Same age as LBJ right now
A 21 year old rookie Kawhi Leonard (Who outplayed LBJ in some games)

This team he beat and then lost to the 2nd time around (Even more embarrassing considering the ages of their stars)
was not this GOAT team people want to claim cause they were all AGING stars way past their primes...And still took Heat to 7 games and had one of the most clutch shots of all time in Ray Allens 3 to save his legacy..If not for that Spurs would have won in 6 games...

Lets not forget that...

Now moving onto the next Finals LBJ won ...

GSW In 2015-2016 (His Best Title and LBJ Fans Logic to him being passed MJ)

Lets take a deeper look here ...
GSW Blow out Cavs 2 games in a row 104-89, 110-77 GSW Up 2-0...Game 3 Cavs bounce back at home winning 120-90...
GSW beat the king in his home 108-97 to take a 3-1 lead...Now this is where things start to get dicey ...

Draymond who at that time was a HUGE factor in that 70 win team gets suspended on a questionable suspension at best....especially for a Finals game...Iggy and Bogut BOTH go down with Injuries (Also huge parts of that 70 win team), Curry suffered a sprained MCL in the opening round of the 2016 playoffs. Which all players were not at full strength...Yes injuries are apart of the game but when you are nit picking GOAT here you have to consider these things...Then we all know what happened from there....But to say LBJ overcame this MONSTER of a team when in fact they were not the same team they were in the regular season at all...Is just not correct...

So Lets move onto his latest Challenge....This years Finals and playoffs..
Beats a Blazers team who had to go on an amazing run and play countless amount of tough games just to make it to the playoffs in the Blazers who were prolly out of gas at that point...And an injured Lillard...So it was a pretty easy first series for the Lakers...

Ends up playing Rockets in the 2nd round (Who i am never high on in the playoffs) Lets face it Harden is a good player but in the Playoffs hes never been that great player...Westbrook is also not as good as people rate him to be...They have NO Bigs to matchup with AD or even Howard and Mcgee so this series was a wash from the jump...

Then one of the biggest upsets happen and Nuggets come back from a 3-1 vs the only team LBJ And Lakers feared in the Clippers ....PG Has a epic meltdown during the playoffs and thats a wrap...Lakers and LeBron get the easiest path to a title (Especially with AD by his side who was playing top 5 Basketball in the Bubble and the playoffs)....

Now lets talk about this Finals matchup....
The Heat....A 5th seeded grinding team whos heart does not match their talent...

A Star in Butler
A injured Dragic
A Injured Bam
^Their 2 2nd best players
A rookie in Hero

I mean can it get any easier for LBJ here? Its one of the easiest Finals wins in NBA History Only other series i can say is as bad of a mismatch as this was is Lakers vs Nets many years ago...

Now tell me with a straight face all these Rings LBJ won....This competition argument is just not true...Yes he may have PLAYED more harder competition throughout his finals runs but he never BEAT that competetion....MJ Beat every single competitor he went up against in the finals....And lets face it...Malone/Stockton, Payton/Kemp, Barkley/Johnson/Majerle, Shaq/Penny, Worthy/Magic/Byron, Miller/Smits, Drexler/Porter, Dumars/Thomas....All this competition is right up there if not even better then the guys LeBron BEAT....Im not saying lost against cause MJ BEAT all these players ^ ...

So i rest my case
Official
Veteran
And1: 321

Post#495 » by Official » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:43 pm

Jordan dodge the 24 hour news coverage of basketball. During his first three seasons, he posted losing records and got swept in the first round. The first year he won MVP, he was gentleman swept in the semis. All while being non existent in the last 3 games of that semis averaging 24ppg (Imagine if Lebron did that). And then the following year you go from 50 wins to 47. Good news - You go up 2-1 in the ECF then lose three in a row- 23 points on 5-15 shooting, 18 points on 4-8 shooting (how the hell do you only take 8 shots), and I'll give it to him - his last game was nice 13-26 on 32 points.. Oh but Jordan never lost and never folded....the guy was up 2-1 and lost three in a row - again only 8 shots and another game you were 5-15. Players get trashed for those type of performances and it lives with them for years. But shhhhh, that never happened. Only Lebron has bad series. Continuing living in your fantasy land with Jordan; the guy is one of the most glossed over superstars in NBA history.
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,904

Post#496 » by Kobe187 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Official wrote:Jordan dodge the 24 hour news coverage of basketball. During his first three seasons, he posted losing records and got swept in the first round. The first year he won MVP, he was gentleman swept in the semis. All while being non existent in the last 3 games of that semis averaging 24ppg (Imagine if Lebron did that). And then the following year you go from 50 wins to 47. Good news - You go up 2-1 in the ECF then lose three in a row- 23 points on 5-15 shooting, 18 points on 4-8 shooting (how the hell do you only take 8 shots), and I'll give it to him - his last game was nice 13-26 on 32 points.. Oh but Jordan never lost and never folded....the guy was up 2-1 and lost three in a row - again only 8 shots and another game you were 5-15. Players get trashed for those type of performances and it lives with them for years. But shhhhh, that never happened. Only Lebron has bad series.

Made playoffs:

Overall playoffs Win %
Jordan 66.5 LeBron 65.3

Finals Win %
Jordan 100 LeBron 40

Jordan faced 269 opponents in his playoff career, outscoring every player, except one.

27 of the 37 playoff opponents Jordan faced had over 50 wins. James has never had to defeat 3 teams with 50 wins or 2 teams with 60 wins in any playoff run. Jordan’s teams accomplished this in 5 of his playoff runs.
Official
Veteran

Post#497 » by Official » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:19 am

Kobe187 wrote:
Official wrote:Jordan dodge the 24 hour news coverage of basketball. During his first three seasons, he posted losing records and got swept in the first round. The first year he won MVP, he was gentleman swept in the semis. All while being non existent in the last 3 games of that semis averaging 24ppg (Imagine if Lebron did that). And then the following year you go from 50 wins to 47. Good news - You go up 2-1 in the ECF then lose three in a row- 23 points on 5-15 shooting, 18 points on 4-8 shooting (how the hell do you only take 8 shots), and I'll give it to him - his last game was nice 13-26 on 32 points.. Oh but Jordan never lost and never folded....the guy was up 2-1 and lost three in a row - again only 8 shots and another game you were 5-15. Players get trashed for those type of performances and it lives with them for years. But shhhhh, that never happened. Only Lebron has bad series.

Made playoffs:

Overall playoffs Win %
Jordan 66.5 LeBron 65.3

Finals Win %
Jordan 100 LeBron 40

Jordan faced 269 opponents in his playoff career, outscoring every player, except one.

27 of the 37 playoff opponents Jordan faced had over 50 wins. James has never had to defeat 3 teams with 50 wins or 2 teams with 60 wins in any playoff run. Jordan’s teams accomplished this in 5 of his playoff runs.

The lack of context in your post is ridiculous and convenient omitting of seasons is laughable. Lets ignore the fact he hardly played in 94-95 and 85-86 - his teams were on pace to make the playoffs without him but you are going to penalize Lebron for last year and reward Jordan for making the playoffs in those years. When he returned in 85-86 at the end of the year the bulls winning percentage never changed so it wasn't the case of a last minute surge and in 95-96 they did make a nice run at the end, regardless the Bulls were going to make the playoffs. Best of all is the Bulls won 55 games without Jordan - imagine if Lebron played on a team that could win 55 games. Not too mention you ignored both of his Wizard years where he missed the playoffs - don't care how old he was - the east those years was trash and his team finished 10th and was a never a threat to even make the playoffs all year - they had a losing record all season.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#498 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 am

Even nba.com acknowledges that Jordan is the goat.
Its a wrap. Enough said.

By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. :bowdown: Although, a summary of his basketball career and influence on the game inevitably fails to do it justice, as a phenomenal athlete with a unique combination of fundamental soundness, grace, speed, power, artistry, improvisational ability and an unquenchable competitive desire, Jordan single-handedly redefined the NBA superstar.

Even contemporaneous superstars recognized the unparalleled position of Jordan. Magic Johnson said, "There's Michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us." Larry Bird, following a playoff game where Jordan dropped 63 points on the Boston Celtics in just his second season, appraisal of the young player was: "God disguised as Michael Jordan.

https://www.nba.com/history/legends/profiles/michael-jordan
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#499 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:30 am

Official wrote:
Kobe187 wrote:

Made playoffs:

Overall playoffs Win %
Jordan 66.5 LeBron 65.3

Finals Win %
Jordan 100 LeBron 40

The lack of context in your post is ridiculous and convenient omitting of seasons is laughable. Lets ignore the fact he hardly played in 94-95 and 85-86 - his teams were on pace to make the playoffs without him but you are going to penalize Lebron for last year and reward Jordan for making the playoffs in those years. When he returned in 85-86 at the end of the year the bulls winning percentage never changed so it wasn't the case of a last minute surge and in 95-96 they did make a nice run at the end, regardless the Bulls were going to make the playoffs. Best of all is the Bulls won 55 games without Jordan - imagine if Lebron played on a team that could win 55 games. Not too mention you ignored both of his Wizard years where he missed the playoffs - don't care how old he was - the east those years was trash and his team finished 10th and was a never a threat to even make the playoffs all year - they had a losing record all season.

Imagine if lebron didnt require the team hes joining not having to trade all there assets to win now, like putting together a team. Thats what the bulls did made a great team who did well when Jordan left. So imo that is better then leaving a dumpster fire of overpaid role players.

Wizards were 26-21 when Jordan injured his knee. So on their way to the playoffs.
He scored 51 points as 40 year old, next game casual 45. And with that 51 point game became the first and only player to score 50 points in 3 diffrent decades. No other player has even gotten 40.

Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
Official
Veteran

Post#500 » by Official » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:59 am

twyzted wrote:
Imagine if lebron didnt require the team hes joining not having to trade all there assets to win now, like putting together a team. Thats what the bulls did made a great team who did well when Jordan left. So imo that is better then leaving a dumpster fire of overpaid role players.

The NBA has changed. Players have significantly more influence on roster and coaching moves. I believe it is actually a testament that Lebron can produce 3 championships on three different teams. Proves he can deliver a championship in a multitude of team settings.

Wizards were 26-21 when Jordan injured his knee. So on their way to the playoffs.

Good point

He scored 51 points as 40 year old, next game casual 45. And with that 51 point game became the first and only player to score 50 points in 3 diffrent decades. No other player has even gotten 40.

What does this have to do with anything? Frankly he was not a value add at that point in his career and was an inefficient chucker going on a farewell tour who ranked 152th and 113rd in TS% among guards who played 20+mpg in those seasons. Sorry he was just plane bad, similar to Kobe's last year. Basically a player who had a negative impact on winning.

Return to The General Board