Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Re: Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though. 

Post#501 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:29 am

Official wrote:
twyzted wrote:
Imagine if lebron didnt require the team hes joining not having to trade all there assets to win now, like putting together a team. Thats what the bulls did made a great team who did well when Jordan left. So imo that is better then leaving a dumpster fire of overpaid role players.

The NBA has changed. Players have significantly more influence on roster and coaching moves. I believe it is actually a testament that Lebron can produce 3 championships on three different teams. Proves he can deliver a championship in a multitude of team settings.

Wizards were 26-21 when Jordan injured his knee. So on their way to the playoffs.

Good point

He scored 51 points as 40 year old, next game casual 45. And with that 51 point game became the first and only player to score 50 points in 3 diffrent decades. No other player has even gotten 40.

What does this have to do with anything? Frankly he was not a value add at that point in his career and was an inefficient chucker going on a farewell tour who ranked 152th and 113rd in TS% among guards who played 20+mpg in those seasons. Sorry he was just plane bad, similar to Kobe's last year. Basically a player who had a negative impact on winning.

Wizards in 00/01 19-63
01/02 add Jordan. Are on 47 win pace, Jordan tears his meniscus still tries to play. He was gradully getting better
Last 20 games before injury.
27.5 ppg 6.4 rpg 5.2 apg 1.3 spg on 44%
Last 10 games before injury
29.7 ppg 6.6 rpg 6.1 apg 1.3 spg on 47%
Jordan gets injured they end up 37-45
So Jordan did add alot to a team

00/01 wizards 29th team defence
01/02 11th team defence

Lakers add Lbj go from 35-47 to 37-45.

But nice cherry picking ts%
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,183

Post#502 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:31 am

Bron the Goat
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Retro_Junkball
Senior
And1: 277

Post#503 » by Retro_Junkball » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:27 am

gp2015 wrote:
the kanter wrote:longevity: lebron
career peak: shaq

so why exactly should we consider MJ the goat?

Since when was accomplishing less in a greater amount of time considered an accomplishment for GOAT?

Less championships
Less Finals MVPs
Less regular season MVPs
Less scoring per game
Less defensive first teams
Less defensive player of the years

Shaq had a better career peak than MJ? You're reaching son.

Pretty much. Peak Shaq wasn't too much of a reach, though.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 539

Post#504 » by Gregoire » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 am

For me Lebron is second now. MJ first.

Pro Lebron:
Better longevity
Better prime longevity
Stronger era in general
Won with different teams
Stats, records

Pro Jordan:
Better peak/prime
Winning
Clutch factor
Accolades
Charisma
Stronger and less childish personalty
Less modern benefits (analytics, training, food ect)
Less inflated stats by era
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#505 » by Alize » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:49 am

Lol "winning", "clutch factor" and "charisma"
Gregoire wrote:For me Lebron is second now. MJ first.

Pro Lebron:
Better longevity
Better prime longevity
Stronger era in general
Won with different teams
Stats, records

Pro Jordan:
Better peak/prime
Winning
Clutch factor
Accolades
Charisma

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
Alize
Senior

Post#506 » by Alize » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:51 am

Nice cherry picking, but they missed the playoffs just like the Lakers missed last years playoffs when LeBron was injured. So whats your point? We know Jordan was a chucker who could put up 60 and still get swept regardless.
twyzted wrote:
Official wrote:
twyzted wrote:
Imagine if lebron didnt require the team hes joining not having to trade all there assets to win now, like putting together a team. Thats what the bulls did made a great team who did well when Jordan left. So imo that is better then leaving a dumpster fire of overpaid role players.

The NBA has changed. Players have significantly more influence on roster and coaching moves. I believe it is actually a testament that Lebron can produce 3 championships on three different teams. Proves he can deliver a championship in a multitude of team settings.

Wizards were 26-21 when Jordan injured his knee. So on their way to the playoffs.

Good point

He scored 51 points as 40 year old, next game casual 45. And with that 51 point game became the first and only player to score 50 points in 3 diffrent decades. No other player has even gotten 40.

What does this have to do with anything? Frankly he was not a value add at that point in his career and was an inefficient chucker going on a farewell tour who ranked 152th and 113rd in TS% among guards who played 20+mpg in those seasons. Sorry he was just plane bad, similar to Kobe's last year. Basically a player who had a negative impact on winning.

Wizards in 00/01 19-63
01/02 add Jordan. Are on 47 win pace, Jordan tears his meniscus still tries to play. He was gradully getting better

01/02 11th team defence

twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#507 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:08 am

Alize wrote:Nice cherry picking, but they missed the playoffs just like the Lakers missed last years playoffs when LeBron was injured. So whats your point? We know Jordan was a chucker who could put up 60 and still get swept regardless.
twyzted wrote:
Official wrote:

Good point

Wizards in 00/01 19-63

01/02 11th team defence

:rofl: i dont think you even know what cherry picking is.
And did you miss the part that Jordan got injured.
Call him chucker all you want but that does not change anything about that 6/6 is better than 4/4 or 4/10.

And the point is that a 38yr old Jordan could improve the team he joined
And that wizards team was an absolut garbage before Jordan joined.
And i mean was lebron not sweept in the finals avg triple double? And got sweept another time also.
Alize
Senior

Post#508 » by Alize » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 am

Who else joined the Wizards that offseason? We need to look on the context of things.
Russel 11 > 6, so Russel is the best.
twyzted wrote:
Alize wrote:Nice cherry picking, but they missed the playoffs just like the Lakers missed last years playoffs when LeBron was injured. So whats your point? We know Jordan was a chucker who could put up 60 and still get swept regardless.
twyzted wrote:
Wizards in 00/01 19-63

01/02 11th team defence

Call him chucker all you want but that does not change anything about that 6/6 is better than 4/4 or 4/10.

And i mean was lebron not sweept in the finals avg triple double? And got sweept another time also.

kiwinbafan05
Sophomore
And1: 449

Post#509 » by kiwinbafan05 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:28 am

Gregoire wrote:For me Lebron is second now. MJ first.

Pro Lebron:
Better longevity
Better prime longevity
Stronger era in general
Won with different teams
Stats, records

Pro Jordan:
Better peak/prime
Winning
Clutch factor
Accolades
Charisma

Are you trying to argue for LeBron?
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#510 » by Sark » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 am

Pretty good podcast on GOAT topic if anyone is interested

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nerd-sesh/id1510923608?i=1000494552730
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#511 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 am

Alize wrote:Who else joined the Wizards that offseason? We need to look on the context of things.
twyzted wrote:

Ok
https://www.basketball-reference.com
Go on.
Maybe russell is the best? I never watched him so i wont rank him over guys i saw play.
But it dosent change the fact that Jordan is better then Lebron.
Alize
Senior

Post#512 » by Alize » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:16 am

So you leave out that Rip Hamilton was also injured more than 5 weeks during the time MJ was injured. Therefore you cant just conclude the Wizards missed the playoffs just because Jordan missed time.
twyzted wrote:
Alize wrote:Who else joined the Wizards that offseason? We need to look on the context of things.
twyzted wrote:

Ok
Go on.
Maybe russell is the best? I never watched him so i wont rank him over guys i saw play.

trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,153

Post#513 » by trueballer7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am

Lebron is right where he was before this, somewhere between top 5 and top 10 and thats generous. No top 5 player would have stacked the deck in his favor so shamelessly, and gotten so many benefits and from the league, his corporate masters, rules, reffs etc only to end up with only 4 titles, 3 of which came in the most unconvincing ways, in 17 years and I seriously doubt anyone within the top 10 would fair worse either.
By the way, ratings were at an all time low. Aint never seen a top 2 player that nobody cared to watch
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#514 » by Warriorfan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Warriors draft 2 star players with their lottery picks.

Lets say Curry and the Warriors knock out Lebron 2 or 3 times on the way to the Championship.

Lebron becomes Chamberlain to Curry's Russell never really in the mix for GOAT.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,810

Post#515 » by nikster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 pm

trueballer7 wrote:Lebron is right where he was before this, somewhere between top 5 and top 10 and thats generous. No top 5 player would have stacked the deck in his favor so shamelessly, and gotten so many benefits and from the league, his corporate masters, rules, reffs etc only to end up with only 4 titles, 3 of which came in the most unconvincing ways, in 17 years and I seriously doubt anyone within the top 10 would fair worse either.
By the way, ratings were at an all time low. Aint never seen a top 2 player that nobody cared to watch

LeBron's been a leader in jersey sales and a ratings draw for almost 2 decades. By the way, we were in the middle of a pandemic that affected ratings of all sports
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,153

Post#516 » by trueballer7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:28 pm

nikster wrote:
trueballer7 wrote:Lebron is right where he was before this, somewhere between top 5 and top 10 and thats generous. No top 5 player would have stacked the deck in his favor so shamelessly, and gotten so many benefits and from the league, his corporate masters, rules, reffs etc only to end up with only 4 titles, 3 of which came in the most unconvincing ways, in 17 years and I seriously doubt anyone within the top 10 would fair worse either.

LeBron's been a leader in jersey sales and a ratings draw for almost 2 decades. By the way, we were in the middle of a pandemic that affected ratings of all sports

The 2020 NBA Finals nobody watched. Game 6 nobody watched. There must be a reason why you ignore the record drop off in interest that far exceeds all other sports
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#517 » by Creativetran » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Alize wrote:Lebron is the goat. Jordan couldnt do these things at 35.

Jordan had a higher peak AND that is what matters in the GOAT discussion IMO
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,810

Post#518 » by nikster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:15 pm

trueballer7 wrote:
nikster wrote:

The 2020 NBA Finals nobody watched. Game 6 nobody watched. There must be a reason why you ignore the record drop off in interest that far exceeds all other sports

The drop off is a combination of the pandemic and the BLM messaging. Nothing to do with Lebron
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#519 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:04 pm

Alize wrote:So you leave out that Rip Hamilton was also injured more than 5 weeks during the time MJ was injured. Therefore you cant just conclude the Wizards missed the playoffs just because Jordan missed time.
twyzted wrote:

Ok
Go on.

Jordan was injured from february 24 2002 until march 20th 2002
Richard Hamiltob was injured from december 22nd 2001 until january 31st 2002.
So how can hamilton be injured on the same time Jordan was injured? If he was playing at the time of Jordans injury?
So yes i can conclude that the wizards missed the playoffs because of Jordans injury.
Also did you find out what players the wizards added in the summer of 2001?
twyzted
Sixth Man

Post#520 » by twyzted » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:20 pm

nikster wrote:
trueballer7 wrote:
nikster wrote:LeBron's been a leader in jersey sales and a ratings draw for almost 2 decades. By the way, we were in the middle of a pandemic that affected ratings of all sports

The drop off is a combination of the pandemic and the BLM messaging. Nothing to do with Lebron

Lebron has 2 worst rated finals ever.
His best is 3 million lower than Jordans worst.
Edit: i looked at the wrong number. It closer to few hundred thousand but his best does not beat Jordans worst.
Lebron has had the best selling jersey for 5 seasons since coming into the league.
Kobe has 6 seasons in 1 decade as the best selling jersey.

Return to The General Board