Cowherd: MJ needed Pippen, LeBron James just needs a ball

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Re: Cowherd: MJ needed Pippen, LeBron James just needs a ball 

Post#121 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:39 pm

GhosDini wrote:Michael Jordan needed Scottie Pippen and Lebron just needs...Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, and Rajon Rondo

People believing this is a good take is laughable.

He never played with more than 3 of those guys at once, and when he did it was a washed up Allen and a past his prime Wade.

If you’re bringing up Rondo and old Allen might as well bring up Toni Kukoc and Dennis Rodman.

The fact is I’m not entirely sure Lebron supporting cast in one single season was ever better than MJs title teams.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#122 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:01 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
GhosDini wrote:Michael Jordan needed Scottie Pippen and Lebron just needs...Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, and Rajon Rondo

He never played with more than 3 of those guys at once, and when he did it was a washed up Allen and a past his prime Wade.

If you’re bringing up Rondo and old Allen might as well bring up Toni Kukoc and Dennis Rodman.

The fact is I’m not entirely sure Lebron supporting cast in one single season was ever better than MJs title teams.

Jordan 1st three peat teammates where astounding talents..

https://www.michaeljordansworld.com/teammates.htm
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#123 » by RSP83 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:02 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Sure, only 2 All-Star teammates, they're nothing. It's not like he played with 5 of them at the same time.

Past prime Wade? What do you mean? Wade was still 29/30 years old, second best SG behind Kobe at the time, remain All-Star caliber for the next 4-5 years then. And was Chris Bosh just a dream or something?
GhosDini
Junior
And1: 685

Post#124 » by GhosDini » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:37 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Lol
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#125 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Jordan 1st three peat teammates where astounding talents..

https://www.michaeljordansworld.com/teammates.htm

I mean I’d were bringing up Ray Allen at 40 years old and Rajon Rondo why not Horace Grant or BJ Armstrong? Are we ignoring they were all star players both once in their career (even if BJ probably shouldn’t have been).
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#126 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:52 pm

RSP83 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Sure, only 2 All-Star teammates, they're nothing. It's not like he played with 5 of them at the same time.

Past prime Wade? What do you mean? Wade was still 29/30 years old, second best SG behind Kobe at the time, remain All-Star caliber for the next 4-5 years then. And was Chris Bosh just a dream or something?

Wade was great for one season. He was often injured and a shell of himself after that. Still a great player but hardly the MVP candidate of years prior.

Scottie throughout MJ’s time was easily the better and more consistent player than anyone LBJ played with up until AD. The current Lakers team and those 1st 3-peat Bulls are very similarly constructed with two top 5 players and then a lot of meh dudes who were either past their prime or yet to hit it.

And I never dismissed Bosh? I stated he never played with more than 3 of those all stars at one time. Only time it was 3 one was an old as hell Ray Allen.

Still a dumb as hell argument
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#127 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Cowherd is a joke that genuinely makes anyone who listens to him far more stupid.

I love that he throws out in "Sports History" - not just basketball.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#128 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:55 pm

GhosDini wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Lol

MJ has Pippen every single year. That is just as good as LBJ/AD or LBJ/Wade or LBJ/Kyrie. Moving on from that, LBJ in Miami has Bosh and then not much else, that roster was a disaster. Same with Cleveland except he had Love as his 3rd option as bad defensive big which isn’t ideal foe your 3rd best player. In LA now his 3rd best guy is who... Rondo? KCP? MJ always has Grant or Rodman both of whom would easily be the 3rd best guy in LA and arguably Rodman would be a better fit as a 3rd guy for Lebron throughout his career as a defender.

MJ fans need to remember when MJ retired that team won 55 **** games lol
hedo15
Senior
And1: 343

Post#129 » by hedo15 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm

hmm, thats interesting
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#130 » by bmurph128 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 pm

HEKTOR wrote:Wait, who was Phil Jackson before MJ? Give me a break.

He and Jordan won the same number of NBA titles before they got together.

But without Phil, MJ won none. Without MJ, Phil won five.

I'm not saying it's the end all be all argument, but that LeBron didn't randomly get to play with an all time great coach should be taken into account.

If the Spurs faced injuries and randomly got the number one pick because of injuries in LeBron's draft instead of Duncan's, the Spurs and LeBron probably win 8 titles and he's the undisputed GOAT.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#131 » by Danny1616 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:55 pm

WTF is this revisionist history?

Lebron started the whole super team bull by teaming up with an MVP caliber player in Wade and a top 5 big man in Bosh.

Then when Wade started declining he teamed up with a young rising superstar in Kyrie and a top 3 big man at the time in Love.

Then when his relationship with Kyrie soured and Kyrie dipped, he decides to go to the Lakers. His 1st year without another star next to him they miss the playoffs. Then he gets AD who is arguably the best big man in the NBA, an MVP caliber player and even gets proven vets like Rondo and Dwight to come off the bench.

Are you **** joking me?
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#132 » by Danny1616 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
GhosDini wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:People believing this is a good take is laughable.

Lol

MJ has Pippen every single year. That is just as good as LBJ/AD or LBJ/Wade or LBJ/Kyrie. Moving on from that, LBJ in Miami has Bosh and then not much else, that roster was a disaster. Same with Cleveland except he had Love as his 3rd option as bad defensive big which isn’t ideal foe your 3rd best player. In LA now his 3rd best guy is who... Rondo? KCP? MJ always has Grant or Rodman both of whom would easily be the 3rd best guy in LA and arguably Rodman would be a better fit as a 3rd guy for Lebron throughout his career as a defender.

MJ fans need to remember when MJ retired that team won 55 **** games lol

During the 1994-1995 season the Bulls were barely .500 team without Jordan with a 34-31 record. They finished 13-4 with Jordan in the line-up after his return (on pace for 60+ wins).
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#133 » by TOStateofMind » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:16 pm

I can only imagine how bad the "lebron did it alone" narrative will be in like 10+ years if its already this bad lol.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#134 » by Brofessor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:30 pm

I have greater respect/admiration for King James than Jordan.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#135 » by Mickey8 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Washed up Allen who hit all those clutch threes for Lebron, literally won the ring for him :lol:
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#136 » by JRoy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Even when compared to other “sports journalists”, Cowherd is a moron.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#137 » by Alize » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Enough said, Lebron is the greatest player of all time. Does it all when it counts most, like in the playoffs/finals.
the kanter wrote:Image

hmm, thats interesting

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#138 » by Alize » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Yeah Ray Allen won the title by tying a game in the Finals.
Mickey8 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Washed up Allen who hit all those clutch threes for Lebron, literally won the ring for him

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,905

Post#139 » by Kobe187 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Danny1616 wrote:WTF is this revisionist history?

Lebron started the whole super team bull by teaming up with an MVP caliber player in Wade and a top 5 big man in Bosh.

Then when Wade started declining he teamed up with a young rising superstar in Kyrie and a top 3 big man at the time in Love.

Then when his relationship with Kyrie soured and Kyrie dipped, he decides to go to the Lakers. His 1st year without another star next to him they miss the playoffs. Then he gets AD who is arguably the best big man in the NBA, an MVP caliber player and even gets proven vets like Rondo and Dwight to come off the bench.

Are you **** joking me?

FACTS.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,306

Post#140 » by Eric Millegan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:I mean he is right. Jordan needed an all-time great SF on his side, the second best coach of all time and a group of excellent role players around (3pt shooters, elite rebounders and defenders) to start winning on a much weaker era. I'm sorry but MJ couldn't do what LeBron has done: win championships with 3 different teams starting from scratch and having to build the team and the chemistry. That's why LeBron is the GOAT.

I think it’s more impressive to threepeat twice with the team that drafted you than it is to hop around from team to team whenever the team you’re on runs out of gas. Yes, Jordan took 18 months off because his Dad died but how many titles would Cleveland have if LeBron had never left in 2010? That’s the most important question and the answer might be 0.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.

Return to The General Board