LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals

Moderators: zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk

skones
RealGM
Posts: 28,972
And1: 8,317
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#101 » by skones » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 pm

nikster wrote:
skones wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
To be fair, there is a legend for the graphic that shows how the players were selected. If you want to call that biased, then sure, but it's there.


No, not "to be fair."

AC Green All Defensive Team
Clifford Robinson All Defensive Team
Kevin Johnson All NBA
Tom Chambers All NBA
Detlef Schrempf All NBA
Nate McMillan All Defensive Team

The graphic doesn't follow its own gd legend.

It's showing the players who met this criteria for those awards the years they were in the finals. None of those guys won awards the years they faced MJ in the finals


I find it disingenuous to consistently list "HOF player or potential" regardless of which stage they were actually at in their careers in order to push the narrative that Lebron's teams were just way more talented than the one's Jordan faced, but not do the same for guys who had made All NBA and All Defensive teams.
abark
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,863
And1: 2,110
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Miami
   

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#102 » by abark » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 pm

God help us if Lebron reaches 6 rings
User avatar
NPZ
Analyst
Posts: 3,103
And1: 2,175
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
Location: ^^ Anthony Peeler over Benoit Benjamin, 92/93
 

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#103 » by NPZ » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Drygon wrote:Are we gonna ignore LeBron had superteams in Miami Heat & Cavs (2nd stint)?


Ummm...are we gonna ignore LeBron had superteams in Miami Heat & Cavs (2nd stint)?
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
nikster
Head Coach
Posts: 7,299
And1: 5,759
Joined: Sep 08, 2013

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#104 » by nikster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 pm

skones wrote:
nikster wrote:
skones wrote:
No, not "to be fair."

AC Green All Defensive Team
Clifford Robinson All Defensive Team
Kevin Johnson All NBA
Tom Chambers All NBA
Detlef Schrempf All NBA
Nate McMillan All Defensive Team

The graphic doesn't follow its own gd legend.

It's showing the players who met this criteria for those awards the years they were in the finals. None of those guys won awards the years they faced MJ in the finals


I find it disingenuous to consistently list "HOF player or potential" regardless of which stage they were actually at in their careers in order to push the narrative that Lebron's teams were just way more talented than the one's Jordan faced, but not do the same for guys who had made All NBA and All Defensive teams.

The trouble is HOF is career award and All NBA is for season. I agree they should have scrapped that whole hof category
User avatar
OdomFan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,960
And1: 4,488
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
Location: Washington DC
       

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#105 » by OdomFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:57 pm

jason bourne wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
How do you know the NBA disagrees with him? They did start their own top 50 list.

because he's in the Hall of Fame. Not just because of his International play, but because of what he contributed for the NBA teams that he played for throughout his career.


Your top reason is circular logic. Just because the NBA recognizes its members who make the Naismith HOF, it doesn't mean they think he's a top 50 NBA player, coach, or other.


but it does mean they think he deserves the Hall of Fame spot.
Image
User avatar
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,346
And1: 1,479
Joined: Dec 23, 2013
   

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#106 » by jason bourne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:24 am

OdomFan wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
OdomFan wrote:because he's in the Hall of Fame. Not just because of his International play, but because of what he contributed for the NBA teams that he played for throughout his career.


Your top reason is circular logic. Just because the NBA recognizes its members who make the Naismith HOF, it doesn't mean they think he's a top 50 NBA player, coach, or other.


but it does mean they think he deserves the Hall of Fame spot.


Here's what I could find from the NBA: "Sacramento Kings and international star Vlade Divac was a surprise pick for the Hall of Fame."

That doesn't sound like they thought he deserves a HOF spot :lol: .

More from the article:
"International Committee:

VLADE DIVAC [Player] -- A native of Yugoslavia, Divac joined the Los Angeles Lakers in 1989 and played in the NBA until 2004. He recorded over 13,000 points, 9,000 rebounds, 3,000 assists, and 1,500 blocked shots. Divac was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team (1990) and NBA All-Star Team (2001). With Yugoslavia he earned two Olympic silver medals (1988, 1996), two European Championships gold medals (1989, 1991) and two FIBA World Championships gold medals (1990, 2002). Divac was named one of European Club Basketball’s 50 Greatest Contributors (2008) and is a member of the FIBA Hall of Fame (2010). His number was retired by the Sacramento Kings, where he currently serves as the General Manager."

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/06/2019-naismith-basketball-hall-fame-announcement
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.”
TheHardenChoke
Freshman
Posts: 62
And1: 87
Joined: Aug 06, 2020

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#107 » by TheHardenChoke » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:26 am

Imagine thinking the over the hill Spurs were a superteam at the time

They just outclassed the Heat with better team ball and basketball fundamentals.

Also lol at calling that young OKC team a superteam at that time.

What kind of clown starts these types of threads?
User avatar
BarbaGrizz
Starter
Posts: 2,426
And1: 710
Joined: May 25, 2007
Location: Brazil
     

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#108 » by BarbaGrizz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 am

Dumb thread is dumb.
Jkam31
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,829
And1: 2,624
Joined: Feb 23, 2014

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#109 » by Jkam31 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:34 am

Every **** day is a new lebron slob thread or a stupid one to did Jordan. Seriously mods can we put a ban on this it’s out of control
LeBird
Pro Prospect
Posts: 935
And1: 832
Joined: Dec 22, 2012

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#110 » by LeBird » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:35 am

twyzted wrote:
LeBird wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
I didn't bring up Jordan, so I'm not sure why you did.

You Lebron stans are insufferable nowadays.


It’s pretty clear who gets butthurt about the argument that LeBron faced far tougher odds.

In any case, if that OKC trio wasn’t at their absolute peak it doesn’t detract from the claim of them being a super team. That team had at least two 1st ballot HOF near their peaks, another one just before his (his usage was just lower) as well as other beasts like Ibaka.

It shows that if you don’t consider them a super team in LeBron’s time that same team would still be better than anything Jordan beat in the finals and if it existed back in the 90s no one would blink about calling them a super team, such was the paucity of MJ’s competition. MJ was on the super team himself with no comparable opponent. The closest it gets is the Jazz team, and they were old. And they wouldn’t be considered a super team in today’s league - one of many 2 star teams.

If LeBron had those Bulls teams even today’s stacked era he’d probably have won rings regardless - that’s how much he impacts winning.


Im pretty sure orlando magic had a pretty good team and better then okc. Lakers, suns, portland would beat them also.
Ibaka was 7ppg, 5 rpg with good defence.
Harden was 2nd year player.
It was westbrook and durant.
They had perkins, ibaka, durant, thabo sefelosha and westbrook starting.
With 2nd year harden as 6th man and 37 year old fisher coming of the bench.
And stop with this close to their peak or near it at the time they were not at their peaks.
Harden would become 6th man of the season next year.

Yeah they beat kobe with bynum and gasol was not prime gasol, mavs lost dpoy chandler. Not the same team.

If we are gonna use this close to or near. Then in 91 jordan and pippen beat the bad boy pistons and the lakers who were close or near their peaks.

The bulls were never a super team maybe in 96 but it was Jordan and Pippen with good defence


:lol: you must be a teenager, just showing how little you know about the era.

Kareem retired and both Worthy and Scott were injured, how is that close to Lakers’ peak? Everything else you said was nonsense. Orlando was never a great team, just great hype.

Chicago was a super team throughout that run. They regularly had 2 of the best 3 players (if not the outright top 2) as well as depth. Don’t compare to now where teams need 3 superstars to even sniff the label.

Back then 2 big stars like Jordan and Pippen, Malone and Stockton, etc made you a super team and none of the teams bar the Jazz matched up well to Chicago. Reggie Miller on his lonesome was beating the Orlando team you talk about and taking Jordan to the wire. Imagine if Barkley had Payton on his Suns for a spell.

No team bar the Jazz (Rockets but MJ sat those ones out) went to the finals more than once. Most of them were 1-2 season wonders. MJ had a clear runway. Friendly skies all-round. The 90s was the worst era of basketball in the last 40 years.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
Posts: 6,045
And1: 3,045
Joined: Jun 18, 2011

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#111 » by The4thHorseman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:46 am

TheHardenChoke wrote:Imagine thinking the over the hill Spurs were a superteam at the time

They just outclassed the Heat with better team ball and basketball fundamentals.

Also lol at calling that young OKC team a superteam at that time.

What kind of clown starts these types of threads?

Who did Jordan beat in the Finals that had 2 All-NBA players ( one who was the reigning 3x scoring champion) the 6MOTY and an All-Defensive player who finished runner-up in DPOY and led the league in shots blocked?

Not saying OKC was a superteam, but if they played against those Bulls, they'd be praised to the high heavens on how good they were.
twyzted
Senior
Posts: 552
And1: 574
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
       

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#112 » by twyzted » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:35 am

LeBird wrote:
twyzted wrote:
LeBird wrote:
It’s pretty clear who gets butthurt about the argument that LeBron faced far tougher odds.

In any case, if that OKC trio wasn’t at their absolute peak it doesn’t detract from the claim of them being a super team. That team had at least two 1st ballot HOF near their peaks, another one just before his (his usage was just lower) as well as other beasts like Ibaka.

It shows that if you don’t consider them a super team in LeBron’s time that same team would still be better than anything Jordan beat in the finals and if it existed back in the 90s no one would blink about calling them a super team, such was the paucity of MJ’s competition. MJ was on the super team himself with no comparable opponent. The closest it gets is the Jazz team, and they were old. And they wouldn’t be considered a super team in today’s league - one of many 2 star teams.

If LeBron had those Bulls teams even today’s stacked era he’d probably have won rings regardless - that’s how much he impacts winning.


Im pretty sure orlando magic had a pretty good team and better then okc. Lakers, suns, portland would beat them also.
Ibaka was 7ppg, 5 rpg with good defence.
Harden was 2nd year player.
It was westbrook and durant.
They had perkins, ibaka, durant, thabo sefelosha and westbrook starting.
With 2nd year harden as 6th man and 37 year old fisher coming of the bench.
And stop with this close to their peak or near it at the time they were not at their peaks.
Harden would become 6th man of the season next year.

Yeah they beat kobe with bynum and gasol was not prime gasol, mavs lost dpoy chandler. Not the same team.

If we are gonna use this close to or near. Then in 91 jordan and pippen beat the bad boy pistons and the lakers who were close or near their peaks.

The bulls were never a super team maybe in 96 but it was Jordan and Pippen with good defence


:lol: you must be a teenager, just showing how little you know about the era.

Kareem retired and both Worthy and Scott were injured, how is that close to Lakers’ peak? Everything else you said was nonsense. Orlando was never a great team, just great hype.

Chicago was a super team throughout that run. They regularly had 2 of the best 3 players (if not the outright top 2) as well as depth. Don’t compare to now where teams need 3 superstars to even sniff the label.

Back then 2 big stars like Jordan and Pippen, Malone and Stockton, etc made you a super team and none of the teams bar the Jazz matched up well to Chicago. Reggie Miller on his lonesome was beating the Orlando team you talk about and taking Jordan to the wire. Imagine if Barkley had Payton on his Suns for a spell.

No team bar the Jazz (Rockets but MJ sat those ones out) went to the finals more than once. Most of them were 1-2 season wonders. MJ had a clear runway. Friendly skies all-round. The 90s was the worst era of basketball in the last 40 years.


:lol: what a great insult. Worthy and scott were playing and missed the last game.
Ohh right because the heat are a superteam now and the raptors also last year. :lol:
And pippen was never top 2 atleast not late in the playoffs.
No the bulls were not a superteam.
Depth :lol: suns portland, sonics and 97 jazz were all much deeper then the bulls.
Kerr, bison dele, scott williams, burrell what an absolut unit of reserve team.
Magic wasent a great team. But okc was a superteam :lol:
I watched era. But have my doubts that you did, running around calling people kids :lol:
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness particularly because he couldn't handle criticism well.


freethedevil wrote:Jordan would statpad both his overall and "clutch" stats in blowout wins
User avatar
Alize
Senior
Posts: 739
And1: 273
Joined: Jul 26, 2012

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#113 » by Alize » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Compared to the other teams they were a super team. What is so difficult to understand? They had elite shooters, elite defenders, elite rebounders and Mike and Scottie.
twyzted wrote:
LeBird wrote:
twyzted wrote:
Im pretty sure orlando magic had a pretty good team and better then okc. Lakers, suns, portland would beat them also.
Ibaka was 7ppg, 5 rpg with good defence.
Harden was 2nd year player.
It was westbrook and durant.
They had perkins, ibaka, durant, thabo sefelosha and westbrook starting.
With 2nd year harden as 6th man and 37 year old fisher coming of the bench.
And stop with this close to their peak or near it at the time they were not at their peaks.
Harden would become 6th man of the season next year.

Yeah they beat kobe with bynum and gasol was not prime gasol, mavs lost dpoy chandler. Not the same team.

If we are gonna use this close to or near. Then in 91 jordan and pippen beat the bad boy pistons and the lakers who were close or near their peaks.

The bulls were never a super team maybe in 96 but it was Jordan and Pippen with good defence


you must be a teenager, just showing how little you know about the era.

Kareem retired and both Worthy and Scott were injured, how is that close to Lakers’ peak? Everything else you said was nonsense. Orlando was never a great team, just great hype.

Chicago was a super team throughout that run. They regularly had 2 of the best 3 players (if not the outright top 2) as well as depth. Don’t compare to now where teams need 3 superstars to even sniff the label.

Back then 2 big stars like Jordan and Pippen, Malone and Stockton, etc made you a super team and none of the teams bar the Jazz matched up well to Chicago. Reggie Miller on his lonesome was beating the Orlando team you talk about and taking Jordan to the wire. Imagine if Barkley had Payton on his Suns for a spell.

No team bar the Jazz (Rockets but MJ sat those ones out) went to the finals more than once. Most of them were 1-2 season wonders. MJ had a clear runway. Friendly skies all-round. The 90s was the worst era of basketball in the last 40 years.


what a great insult. Worthy and scott were playing and missed the last game.
Ohh right because the heat are a superteam now and the raptors also last year.
And pippen was never top 2 atleast not late in the playoffs.
No the bulls were not a superteam.
Depth suns portland, sonics and 97 jazz were all much deeper then the bulls.
Kerr, bison dele, scott williams, burrell what an absolut unit of reserve team.
Magic wasent a great team. But okc was a superteam
I watched era. But have my doubts that you did, running around calling people kids


Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Alize
Senior
Posts: 739
And1: 273
Joined: Jul 26, 2012

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#114 » by Alize » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:04 pm

They almost had back 2 back 70 win season. They were the super team basketball dynasty in the 90s. Nothing to argue about that.
twyzted wrote:
LeBird wrote:
twyzted wrote:
Im pretty sure orlando magic had a pretty good team and better then okc. Lakers, suns, portland would beat them also.
Ibaka was 7ppg, 5 rpg with good defence.
Harden was 2nd year player.
It was westbrook and durant.
They had perkins, ibaka, durant, thabo sefelosha and westbrook starting.
With 2nd year harden as 6th man and 37 year old fisher coming of the bench.
And stop with this close to their peak or near it at the time they were not at their peaks.
Harden would become 6th man of the season next year.

Yeah they beat kobe with bynum and gasol was not prime gasol, mavs lost dpoy chandler. Not the same team.

If we are gonna use this close to or near. Then in 91 jordan and pippen beat the bad boy pistons and the lakers who were close or near their peaks.

The bulls were never a super team maybe in 96 but it was Jordan and Pippen with good defence


you must be a teenager, just showing how little you know about the era.

Kareem retired and both Worthy and Scott were injured, how is that close to Lakers’ peak? Everything else you said was nonsense. Orlando was never a great team, just great hype.

Chicago was a super team throughout that run. They regularly had 2 of the best 3 players (if not the outright top 2) as well as depth. Don’t compare to now where teams need 3 superstars to even sniff the label.

Back then 2 big stars like Jordan and Pippen, Malone and Stockton, etc made you a super team and none of the teams bar the Jazz matched up well to Chicago. Reggie Miller on his lonesome was beating the Orlando team you talk about and taking Jordan to the wire. Imagine if Barkley had Payton on his Suns for a spell.

No team bar the Jazz (Rockets but MJ sat those ones out) went to the finals more than once. Most of them were 1-2 season wonders. MJ had a clear runway. Friendly skies all-round. The 90s was the worst era of basketball in the last 40 years.


what a great insult. Worthy and scott were playing and missed the last game.
Ohh right because the heat are a superteam now and the raptors also last year.
And pippen was never top 2 atleast not late in the playoffs.
No the bulls were not a superteam.
Depth suns portland, sonics and 97 jazz were all much deeper then the bulls.
Kerr, bison dele, scott williams, burrell what an absolut unit of reserve team.
Magic wasent a great team. But okc was a superteam
I watched era. But have my doubts that you did, running around calling people kids


Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
twyzted
Senior
Posts: 552
And1: 574
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
       

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#115 » by twyzted » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Alize wrote:They almost had back 2 back 70 win season. They were the super team basketball dynasty in the 90s. Nothing to argue about that.
twyzted wrote:
LeBird wrote:
you must be a teenager, just showing how little you know about the era.

Kareem retired and both Worthy and Scott were injured, how is that close to Lakers’ peak? Everything else you said was nonsense. Orlando was never a great team, just great hype.

Chicago was a super team throughout that run. They regularly had 2 of the best 3 players (if not the outright top 2) as well as depth. Don’t compare to now where teams need 3 superstars to even sniff the label.

Back then 2 big stars like Jordan and Pippen, Malone and Stockton, etc made you a super team and none of the teams bar the Jazz matched up well to Chicago. Reggie Miller on his lonesome was beating the Orlando team you talk about and taking Jordan to the wire. Imagine if Barkley had Payton on his Suns for a spell.

No team bar the Jazz (Rockets but MJ sat those ones out) went to the finals more than once. Most of them were 1-2 season wonders. MJ had a clear runway. Friendly skies all-round. The 90s was the worst era of basketball in the last 40 years.


what a great insult. Worthy and scott were playing and missed the last game.
Ohh right because the heat are a superteam now and the raptors also last year.
And pippen was never top 2 atleast not late in the playoffs.
No the bulls were not a superteam.
Depth suns portland, sonics and 97 jazz were all much deeper then the bulls.
Kerr, bison dele, scott williams, burrell what an absolut unit of reserve team.
Magic wasent a great team. But okc was a superteam
I watched era. But have my doubts that you did, running around calling people kids


Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app


No need to reply 2 times to the same post.
They were a dynasty
But outside of the 98 jazz all the other finals teams were deeper then the bulls. Most of the time it was jordan, opponent #1 pippen, opp#2,3,4 they exception being payton in 96.
Pippen also had series where his scoring was similar to broken down wade like lbj fans like to call him.
Yes the bulls was a elite defensive teams, but that is not new that defence wins titles.
Call them superteams if you want but then dont dare call lbj teams after 10 not a superteam.
Would you say Lebron is a elite shooter?
Outside of kerr, paxson, bj non other bull was an elite 3pt shooter. But kerr was scoring about 5-6 ppg
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness particularly because he couldn't handle criticism well.


freethedevil wrote:Jordan would statpad both his overall and "clutch" stats in blowout wins
killmongrel
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,385
And1: 617
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#116 » by killmongrel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Why can't some LeBron stans just enjoy him winning a Finals. Some of them spend so much time forcing a narrative all the time.
User avatar
mixerball
Starter
Posts: 2,376
And1: 1,932
Joined: May 08, 2010

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#117 » by mixerball » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:51 pm

LOL i can just see the narrative in 10 years ... "lebron was practicaly hakeem carry job against superteams"
AMW27
Pro Prospect
Posts: 823
And1: 216
Joined: Jun 03, 2013

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#118 » by AMW27 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:27 am

The 2007 Spurs are not a super team.
Midw35t
Junior
Posts: 371
And1: 305
Joined: Jan 28, 2017
       

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#119 » by Midw35t » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:18 am

Drygon wrote:Are we gonna ignore LeBron had superteams in Miami Heat & Cavs (2nd stint)?


I wouldn't count the Cavs 2nd stint team as a super team. What the hell have Love or Kyrie ever done without LeBron?
LeBird
Pro Prospect
Posts: 935
And1: 832
Joined: Dec 22, 2012

Re: LeBron has played 8 Superteams in the finals 

Post#120 » by LeBird » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:55 am

twyzted wrote: :lol: what a great insult. Worthy and scott were playing and missed the last game.


Uh, no. Worthy reinjured himself, he was already going into that series injured. No Kareem, injured Worthy and Scott...how is this close to Lakers at their peak?

Ohh right because the heat are a superteam now and the raptors also last year. :lol:


Neither were but irrelevant. And the smilies aren’t going to detract from you exposing yourself as not knowing what happened.

And pippen was never top 2 atleast not late in the playoffs.


Yeh at least...then he was just the 3rd best player of the series :lol:

If LeBron had that Bulls team and faced that competition 8-10 straight rings is happening. Look at Jordan’s career, he never moved the needle that much - not compared to Bird, LeBron or even Magic. This is where the Jordan stans use the concession “he was a ceiling raiser” as if it’s not conspicuous that the GOAT for many years could barely get a .500 record in the 80s.

No the bulls were not a superteam.
Depth :lol: suns portland, sonics and 97 jazz were all much deeper then the bulls.
Kerr, bison dele, scott williams, burrell what an absolut unit of reserve team.
Magic wasent a great team. But okc was a superteam :lol:
I watched era. But have my doubts that you did, running around calling people kids :lol:


It’s irrelevant what you want to call a super team or not. It’s all relative. Only thing that matters is that Jordan was never an underdog when he won and when he did he had comfortably the best team. The only team that might have pushed them were the Rockets which he ducked.

Return to The General Board