Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Re: Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report. 

Post#22 » by zimpy27 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:33 am

If lack of playmaking was the issue then how do they fix it? Trade PG13 for one?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Re: Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report. 

Post#23 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:45 am

Los Manos wrote:Posted this on the raptors board, that in fairness it was reported that there were issues in the raptors locker room around January / February 2019 due to Kawhi's special treatment. Definite rumblings that the younger guys started voicing unrest over the disparity of treatment. And it was also reported that Kyle had to be reigned in by management when he started following Kawhi's lead regarding practice habits and general discipline that had begun to deteriorate mid-season.

Ultimately the difference is that management did step in and address the issue. It sounds like the Clippers did not. And that's the difference between a franchise with a chip and one that doesn't.

I'm starting to see why Pop and Kawhi had such a messy divorce in SA. It also adds an interesting twist to Pop saying he had to "change his ways" in terms of accommodating LMA after what happened with Kawhi. If nothing else, it shows what a real unicorn Duncan was as a teammate and how much your best player buying in helps build a culture.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#24 » by Dr Aki » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 am

Doc went from saying no to Tim Duncan to saying yes to everything Kawhi wanted
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#25 » by Pablo Escobar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 am

Ballmer should trade Kawhi. Dude is damaged goods anyway.
Plata o Plomo?
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#26 » by Tracymcgoaty » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 am

People criticizing role players complaining about preferential treatment i really do not get. AD-Lebron are superstars the third best guy isn't even 1/3 as good but we still saw our superstars lead by example. That is the issue here. PG13 and Kawhi did not lead their team plain and simple.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,183

Post#27 » by God Squad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 am

Spoiler:
lonzo_pelota wrote:Image

Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,959

Post#28 » by Optms » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:09 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Harrell wont be back and Lou will likely be traded.. problem solved.

The problem is Kawhi. This is just patching a stab would with a bandage.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#29 » by homecourtloss » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#30 » by TheBoi10 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:16 am

Hope next year is even worse
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,258

Post#31 » by XTC » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:27 am

Reeko wrote:
Los Manos wrote:Posted this on the raptors board, that in fairness it was reported that there were issues in the raptors locker room around January / February 2019 due to Kawhi's special treatment. Definite rumblings that the younger guys started voicing unrest over the disparity of treatment. And it was also reported that Kyle had to be reigned in by management when he started following Kawhi's lead regarding practice habits and general discipline that had begun to deteriorate mid-season.

Ultimately the difference is that management did step in and address the issue. It sounds like the Clippers did not. And that's the difference between a franchise with a chip and one that doesn't.

I had never heard that about Kyle. That's kind of disappointing. I guess that's part of the benefits of having a strong organizational structure from the top on down, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Webster who reigned him in, he seems to understand how to talk to the players and it looks like Kyle respects him.

I remember this being a big fuss last season as well, most notably with Lowry and FVV.

Lowry made a big fuss about it, and I believe he was exempt from practises and shoot around as to load management his wrist injury (Don’t quote me on this).

I can see this being a problem anywhere Kawhi goes. He had the perfect atmosphere in SA, and Toronto. Both teams and cities took him in and surrounded him with leaders and savvy vets and let him do his thing on the court. There’s a big difference when the main voices in your lockeroom are Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka/Duncan, Ginobli, Parker vs Beverley, Harrell, and Lou.

Leadership might be the most underrated aspect in team sports, and the Clippers lacked leadership big time which might be the biggest trait they lacked besides playmaking.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#33 » by Slava » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:54 am

I have a feeling Lou and Harrell are both going to end up in Charlotte.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Questionquest
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#34 » by Questionquest » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:54 am

Yes it sucks to have a leader like that, but they knew what they were getting. Raptors went through the same bs and they still begged kwahi to return.
If clips won this would be a non-story
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#35 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:03 am

Like others have pointed out. When you run out of gas and fade in the playoffs all that load management will run people the wrong way.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,215

Post#36 » by lambchop » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 am

Kawhi could easily just play less minutes instead of load managing or just pick his spots similarly to what LBJ does where he won't go in for dunks or give effort on D every game but he's still out there on the floor with his teammates.

If Kawhi were a great vocal leader , him sitting out games would probably be a non issue too.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#37 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:52 am

QMaster wrote:If Kawhi seriously wanted to load manage and stuff should he not take a pay cut then? Would that not be fair and perhaps get some more respect from his team mates?

Sent from my SM-G960F using RealGM mobile app

That's adorable.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,688

Post#38 » by jehosafats » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am

They let Kwahi parachute in, pick his teammates, take a load off, then plunge their season into a black hole where apparently the only way back is to fire the coach and again accommodate their taciturn star at any cost.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,936

Post#39 » by Anticon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am

Slava wrote:I have a feeling Lou and Harrell are both going to end up in Charlotte.

They really need to just get rid of them. They're both liabilities who thought they were champions after two lucky wins against the Warriors. Neither is credible in a championship run.

Honestly I feel like the Clippers are fixated on these guys and their "underdog" mentality so I doubt they will.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#40 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:14 am

This is always going to be the issue when teams bend to individuals. It's simply not a healthy environment.

Return to The General Board