NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul

Moderators: zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk

User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 29,062
And1: 17,668
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#81 » by Dr Aki » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 am

GregOden wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I want the Lakers to trade for him so bad.


inb4 the warriors trade wiggins for paul


OKC might take that if the Warriors offered both their lottery picks, but the question is does that make the Warriors any better? Their problem is they can't grab a rebound or stop anybody with size, CP3 ain't gonna help with that.


the size of paul's contract means he's at best just as negative value a contract as wiggins. a lot of paul's value as a player comes from his veteran locker room leadership, that's not a problem the warriors have

if i'm the warriors, i ask for OKC's lottery picks back

it's on OKC to find a partner to dump paul, because he devalues their draft picks and with the warriors, at least wiggins "fits" next to curry, klay and draymond

therein lies the problem with trying to find a trade partner for paul. young teams devalue their picks after trading for paul, veteran teams kill their depth without sending back an albatross contract of their own.

i only really see the celtics and clippers being good trading partners for OKC
Image
User avatar
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 1,492
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#82 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:09 am

GregOden wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I want the Lakers to trade for him so bad.


inb4 the warriors trade wiggins for paul


OKC might take that if the Warriors offered both their lottery picks, but the question is does that make the Warriors any better? Their problem is they can't grab a rebound or stop anybody with size, CP3 ain't gonna help with that.


wiggins,2, Looney is the only trade that matches salary for cp3. for someone who thinks warriors title window is 3 yrs, this is a great trade bc Paul will be an all star until 37.

cp3-curry-klay-pas-green is the new death lineup i want to see and paul win his first ring before retirement.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
User avatar
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 1,492
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#83 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:13 am

Dr Aki wrote:
the size of paul's contract means he's at best just as negative value a contract as wiggins. a lot of paul's value as a player comes from his veteran locker room leadership, that's not a problem the warriors have

if i'm the warriors, i ask for OKC's lottery picks back

it's on OKC to find a partner to dump paul, because he devalues their draft picks and with the warriors, at least wiggins "fits" next to curry, klay and draymond


who cares abt size when paul will play like all nba 3rd for his contract? isnt it better to have yr shorter and then resign cheap compared to being stuck with below avg player making max for 3 yrs? in fact pauls contract is even better when its a 40+ giant expiring a poor team like Houston covets i bet they will prefer reverse 1 for 1 at this point if OKC agreed.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
User avatar
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
Posts: 2,187
And1: 2,092
Joined: Dec 13, 2017

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#84 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:17 am

CP3 to Lakers is high risk, low reward I think. Injury risk. Lose depth. Not worth it. Would rather have more variety and depth on bench.
40k/10k/10k Watch

238 Games @ 25 ppg, 298 Games @ 20 ppg.
95 Games @7 rpg, 132 Games @ 5 rpg.
72 Games @10 apg, 143 @ 5 apg.
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,655
And1: 386
Joined: Jul 20, 2004

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#85 » by pwayknicks » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am

So lakers give a bunch of scrubs and a late first for cp3. Sounds like something presti would / shoukd do coming off the season he just had


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 29,062
And1: 17,668
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#86 » by Dr Aki » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 am

drosereturn wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
the size of paul's contract means he's at best just as negative value a contract as wiggins. a lot of paul's value as a player comes from his veteran locker room leadership, that's not a problem the warriors have

if i'm the warriors, i ask for OKC's lottery picks back

it's on OKC to find a partner to dump paul, because he devalues their draft picks and with the warriors, at least wiggins "fits" next to curry, klay and draymond


who cares abt size when paul will play like all nba 3rd for his contract? isnt it better to have yr shorter and then resign cheap compared to being stuck with below avg player making max for 3 yrs? in fact pauls contract is even better when its a 40+ giant expiring a poor team like Houston covets i bet they will prefer reverse 1 for 1 at this point if OKC agreed.


how's paul gonna play like all nba 3rd team next to curry, klay and draymond?

tell me how that looks on the court?
Image
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,185
And1: 865
Joined: Oct 08, 2016
       

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#87 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:37 am

drosereturn wrote:
GregOden wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
inb4 the warriors trade wiggins for paul


OKC might take that if the Warriors offered both their lottery picks, but the question is does that make the Warriors any better? Their problem is they can't grab a rebound or stop anybody with size, CP3 ain't gonna help with that.


wiggins,2, Looney is the only trade that matches salary for cp3. for someone who thinks warriors title window is 3 yrs, this is a great trade bc Paul will be an all star until 37.

cp3-curry-klay-pas-green is the new death lineup i want to see and paul win his first ring before retirement.
This would be an undeniable team. Having Curry or CP3 on the floor at all times would be devastating for rest of the league!

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,185
And1: 865
Joined: Oct 08, 2016
       

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#88 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 am

Dr Aki wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
the size of paul's contract means he's at best just as negative value a contract as wiggins. a lot of paul's value as a player comes from his veteran locker room leadership, that's not a problem the warriors have

if i'm the warriors, i ask for OKC's lottery picks back

it's on OKC to find a partner to dump paul, because he devalues their draft picks and with the warriors, at least wiggins "fits" next to curry, klay and draymond


who cares abt size when paul will play like all nba 3rd for his contract? isnt it better to have yr shorter and then resign cheap compared to being stuck with below avg player making max for 3 yrs? in fact pauls contract is even better when its a 40+ giant expiring a poor team like Houston covets i bet they will prefer reverse 1 for 1 at this point if OKC agreed.


how's paul gonna play like all nba 3rd team next to curry, klay and draymond?

tell me how that looks on the court?
The team's offensive rating will look as impressive as it did in Houston next to Harden in 2018 but the offense will be better as everyone gets involved and is engaged throughout the game.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
xdrta+
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,821
And1: 2,696
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#89 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:29 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
GregOden wrote:
OKC might take that if the Warriors offered both their lottery picks, but the question is does that make the Warriors any better? Their problem is they can't grab a rebound or stop anybody with size, CP3 ain't gonna help with that.


wiggins,2, Looney is the only trade that matches salary for cp3. for someone who thinks warriors title window is 3 yrs, this is a great trade bc Paul will be an all star until 37.

cp3-curry-klay-pas-green is the new death lineup i want to see and paul win his first ring before retirement.
This would be an undeniable team. Having Curry or CP3 on the floor at all times would be devastating for rest of the league!

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app


Paul would be coming off the bench. The Warriors aren't paying $40 million a year for a sixth man.
LBC SoCal
Junior
Posts: 301
And1: 333
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
     

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#90 » by LBC SoCal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:CP3 to Lakers is high risk, low reward I think. Injury risk. Lose depth. Not worth it. Would rather have more variety and depth on bench.


Exactly this. Even in his younger days CP3 would get injured during the second round of the playoffs. With that contract and his age, Lakers are better off allocating funds elsewhere.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,185
And1: 865
Joined: Oct 08, 2016
       

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#91 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:11 am

xdrta+ wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
wiggins,2, Looney is the only trade that matches salary for cp3. for someone who thinks warriors title window is 3 yrs, this is a great trade bc Paul will be an all star until 37.

cp3-curry-klay-pas-green is the new death lineup i want to see and paul win his first ring before retirement.
This would be an undeniable team. Having Curry or CP3 on the floor at all times would be devastating for rest of the league!

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app


Paul would be coming off the bench. The Warriors aren't paying $40 million a year for a sixth man.


Are you saying this seriously?
xdrta+
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,821
And1: 2,696
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#92 » by xdrta+ » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:50 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:This would be an undeniable team. Having Curry or CP3 on the floor at all times would be devastating for rest of the league!

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app


Paul would be coming off the bench. The Warriors aren't paying $40 million a year for a sixth man.


Are you saying this seriously?


Of course. There is no chance they would start Curry, Klay, and Paul. It would be beyond stupid and Kerr wouldn't do it.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
Posts: 3,078
And1: 806
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
       

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#93 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:09 am

Shannon Sharpe won a big "bet" over Skip Bayless that LAL would win the chip. Shannon made the bet before the AD trade and post championship claimed he had insider knowledge about the AD tade before Skip and that's how he had an advantage in that bet and made the stakes so high.

Last week they did a segment on CP3 potentially being traded to LAL and Shannon was wish-washy if he would like the trade for LAL.

Multiple times this week Shannon has said things in regards to the Lakers such as "we've got something up our sleeve" he then laughs and taunts Skip about repeat potential.

TLDR Shannon had insider info about the AD trade and now claims LAL has "something up their sleeve" as rumors of CP3 to LAL swirl.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
skones
RealGM
Posts: 28,972
And1: 8,317
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#94 » by skones » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:zero chance unless there's a buyout

I give it a chance with a KCP signed and traded. You are the master of the cap. Can KCP be given a 2 year 47m contract, which then can be traded with McGee, Kuzma and pick 28 player (10m)?


I don't think I've seen this in the thread yet, but this would trigger the BYC provision. KCP say a flat 23.5M for those two years. He only counts as 11.75M outgoing rather than the full 23.5, meaning the Lakers would still have a WAYS to go when it comes to matching the salary in order to bring in Chris Paul.

It's in place so teams don't exploit loopholes like you're trying to do in signing KCP to ridiculous amounts just to match contract value.

Return to The General Board