David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water

Moderators: zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk

User avatar
JXL
Head Coach
Posts: 6,652
And1: 5,454
Joined: Sep 01, 2013
Location: New York
Contact:
     

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#61 » by JXL » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:10 am

NoZoLakers wrote:whats worse Tor picking Bargani 1st and giving him the big ext or Nyk giving up a 1st for him already seeing how he didn't already work out in Tor?


Knicks giving up a 1st for him, even when Toronto was gonna amnesty him.
BIRD UP!
Pharmcat
RealGM
Posts: 51,076
And1: 10,408
Joined: Oct 05, 2002

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#62 » by Pharmcat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:13 am

he must be high
Image
meekrab
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,376
And1: 3,179
Joined: Dec 15, 2014

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#63 » by meekrab » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 am

Bargnani would probably dominate NCAA, but not the NBA.
User avatar
sca
Head Coach
Posts: 6,745
And1: 7,869
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#64 » by sca » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:20 am

Danny1616 wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:Vince Carter: D. Jordan is nets 3rd big star....these retired guys are on something


Biggest misconception from fans is that somehow former NBA players must be smart guys that know everything about basketball. We tend to romanticize players once they retire and act like they are much better and more knowledgeable then they actually are.

I was perplexed when Arenas started a podcast a year ago and people were tuning in acting like Arenas is some basketball savant who knows everything when Arenas is a certified lunatic. I was even seeing comments on his videos that if Arenas played today he would be better than Curry.

News flash: Some NBA players are pretty stupid and don't that much about true basketball analysis, scouting, player development etc.

Pierce is an all-time great but we've seen him make some of the most stupid hot takes in television history.

Gilbert is truly a savant, though. He’s not like PP34 and some of the other recently retired All-NBAers.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
User avatar
sca
Head Coach
Posts: 6,745
And1: 7,869
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#65 » by sca » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:37 am

I think everyone agrees that Bosh would’ve been great for this era. He was already great for the Heatles in the small ball C role.

Rookie / sophomore Bargs was a really enjoyable, and dare I say, a special player. If only he didn’t bulk up to play next to Bosh, he could’ve had a different career.

All the people in this thread that say “Bargs sucks anyway” have to understand that there was a period in his career where he wasn’t the overweight, lazy, injury prone guy that had no motivation to play basketball. Even in that era, he could’ve ended his career with a few all-star appearances if our coaching staff just let him be himself instead of trying to mold him into a typical center.

Then he got fat and couldn’t play like he used to and his body couldn’t hold the extra weight and since he was already a mentally fragile guy, he became lazy and unmotivated. Biggest one to blame is still himself, though. Could’ve lost the extra weight for many summers. He just didn’t.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
Danny1616
Head Coach
Posts: 6,360
And1: 8,472
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#66 » by Danny1616 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:48 am

sca wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:Vince Carter: D. Jordan is nets 3rd big star....these retired guys are on something


Biggest misconception from fans is that somehow former NBA players must be smart guys that know everything about basketball. We tend to romanticize players once they retire and act like they are much better and more knowledgeable then they actually are.

I was perplexed when Arenas started a podcast a year ago and people were tuning in acting like Arenas is some basketball savant who knows everything when Arenas is a certified lunatic. I was even seeing comments on his videos that if Arenas played today he would be better than Curry.

News flash: Some NBA players are pretty stupid and don't that much about true basketball analysis, scouting, player development etc.

Pierce is an all-time great but we've seen him make some of the most stupid hot takes in television history.

Gilbert is truly a savant, though. He’s not like PP34 and some of the other recently retired All-NBAers.


Dude predicted the Raptors would get swept by the Warriors, he's a clown.
User avatar
GregOden
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,278
And1: 1,231
Joined: Aug 11, 2010

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#67 » by GregOden » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 am

A poor man's Gallanari would blow the NBA out of the water. Hmm. Maybe in terms of record futility.
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,655
And1: 386
Joined: Jul 20, 2004

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#68 » by pwayknicks » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:32 am

homecourtloss wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:He's not wrong. There's probably a lot of guys who were known as soft yesteryear that would feast in today's NBA

But he is though, because he said Bargnani


This notion that some nebulous “tougher players” of yesteryear would “feast” in today’s game is nonsense. It’s currently the most difficult to even get a roster spot in the NBA right now than it has ever been because of the available talent pool. Both Bosh and Bargs would of course still be in the NBA and Bosh might be even more effective, but in genral, to be in the NBA, you have competition from every corner of the globe now.

International talent is everywhere and now African talent is being developed as well. 3 of the current top 10 are internationals, 6 out of the top 20. The reigning two time MVP is an international, and a top 3 Candace for MVP next year (Luka) is an international. In ten years, it’s not inconceivable that 20 of the top 50 players will be internationals.

Domestic population in the U.S. is higher that further enlarged the talent pool.


This is because the game has changed to a more European style and the international players are developed much much better. The system here for the last 30+ years encouraged 1 on 1 play and that’s just not the league anymore. International basketball has been being played, they just fit today’s game a whole lot more then they did the game 20 years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,185
And1: 865
Joined: Oct 08, 2016
       

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#69 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:48 am

To those questioning Bargnani's rebounding and defense. Could he have not played in the style that Brook Lopez does today?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Danny1616
Head Coach
Posts: 6,360
And1: 8,472
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#70 » by Danny1616 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:50 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Top those questioning Bargnani's rebounding and defense. Could be have not played in the style that Brook Lopez does today?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app


Is Brooke Lopez blowing the NBA out of the water?

Lopez in his prime was a much better rebounder and efficient around the basket.

But yes Bargnani is what he is. He can get you 15 points a game on slightly above average shooting, but he also a huge defensively liability and ball stopper. He's suited perfectly to be a 6th man.
bellabiyel
Senior
Posts: 534
And1: 537
Joined: Dec 13, 2018
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#71 » by bellabiyel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:50 am

lol no shooting plus abilty to guard multiple position is todays nba ..bargnani woukd be the end of the bench player
User avatar
Bologna Smasher
Starter
Posts: 2,272
And1: 2,920
Joined: Feb 08, 2007
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#72 » by Bologna Smasher » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:59 am

naabzor wrote:Bargnani was a small forward in Europe and was very thin and agile. Then Toronto selected him, destroyed the only traits that supposedly made him a unicorn and have him playing center. Awful work by the raptors.


Every topic I see about Bargnani, people seem to forget this or simply don't realize what happened with him. The Raptors did the same thing with Valanciunas. Valanciunas is a lot better than what Bargnani turned into it, but Valanciunas' body and play style was pretty similar to a Joakim Noah type player. Now teams are scared to play him more than 30 minutes a game because of limited mobility and defensive issues.

I think even back then if Bargnani was drafted into a better organization, he would've turned out differently. Same thing would have to happen today as well. If the Raptors back then were the same Raptors organization we see today, I think things would've looked a lot different for Bargnani.
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 47,933
And1: 35,173
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#73 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 am

They 3peat at least. Maybe even a double 3peat.
Chandan
General Manager
Posts: 8,634
And1: 12,073
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#74 » by Chandan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:44 am

jlokine wrote:
Image


melos fault.
Image
Chandan
General Manager
Posts: 8,634
And1: 12,073
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#75 » by Chandan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:47 am

Bologna Smasher wrote:
naabzor wrote:Bargnani was a small forward in Europe and was very thin and agile. Then Toronto selected him, destroyed the only traits that supposedly made him a unicorn and have him playing center. Awful work by the raptors.


Every topic I see about Bargnani, people seem to forget this or simply don't realize what happened with him. The Raptors did the same thing with Valanciunas. Valanciunas is a lot better than what Bargnani turned into it, but Valanciunas' body and play style was pretty similar to a Joakim Noah type player. Now teams are scared to play him more than 30 minutes a game because of limited mobility and defensive issues.

I think even back then if Bargnani was drafted into a better organization, he would've turned out differently. Same thing would have to happen today as well. If the Raptors back then were the same Raptors organization we see today, I think things would've looked a lot different for Bargnani.


for sure. The raptors organization and its fans have a unhealthy fixation on body transformations. Every off season a large group of fans expects a player to turn into shaq from the 20 lbs of muscle meme. Even this bubble most everyone thought Gasol would magically get better at 36 years old because of "skinny marc".
Image
Ritzo
Junior
Posts: 439
And1: 550
Joined: Dec 06, 2016
   

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#76 » by Ritzo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:12 am

Ryan Anderson is way better than Bargnani, I'm pretty sure Anderson ain't blowing the NBA out of the water.
User avatar
HollowEarth
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,432
And1: 1,355
Joined: Feb 19, 2017
 

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#77 » by HollowEarth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Top those questioning Bargnani's rebounding and defense. Could he have not played in the style that Brook Lopez does today?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
"I do more complicated things than defense and rebound" - Andrea Bargnani
User avatar
sule
RealGM
Posts: 14,167
And1: 33,751
Joined: Nov 11, 2006
     

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#78 » by sule » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 am

Bargs was trash, but let's not just ignore that the Raps royally messed up his development and forced him to play as a PF/C because he was a 7-footer.

Bargnani was a SF in Italy before getting drafted. Raps would've been dangerous if he was allowed to continue developing as a SF. Bosh was complaining about being a big with an inside game and having to actually play that inside game and bang a little. So the Raps were desperate to bring someone in who could take that pressure off him. Aldridge was clearly the better player in that draft, but if we went back to that draft today, I actually think Bargnani would end up going first or at least at the top of the lottery.

Raps just ended up forcing Bargnani to do everything he sucked at on the court. Basically told him to forget all his skills.

Bargs at SF and Bosh at PF with any scrub (Loren Woods level Centre) would've been a very decent front court.

Bargs ended up sucking and didn't develop even remotely to the player he could've become, but the Raptors botched his developmental and what little motivation to play basketball that stuck with Bargnani was pretty much destroyed during that time. And then annihilated a second time when he became a laughing stock in NY.
Image
User avatar
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 1,492
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#79 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:52 am

can you imagine the twin towers shooting 3s defended by Tucker? Toronto would be unguardable and set for the next decade.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
User avatar
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 1,492
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#80 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:55 am

sca wrote:I think everyone agrees that Bosh would’ve been great for this era. He was already great for the Heatles in the small ball C role.

Rookie / sophomore Bargs was a really enjoyable, and dare I say, a special player. If only he didn’t bulk up to play next to Bosh, he could’ve had a different career.

All the people in this thread that say “Bargs sucks anyway” have to understand that there was a period in his career where he wasn’t the overweight, lazy, injury prone guy that had no motivation to play basketball. Even in that era, he could’ve ended his career with a few all-star appearances if our coaching staff just let him be himself instead of trying to mold him into a typical center.

Then he got fat and couldn’t play like he used to and his body couldn’t hold the extra weight and since he was already a mentally fragile guy, he became lazy and unmotivated. Biggest one to blame is still himself, though. Could’ve lost the extra weight for many summers. He just didn’t.


Which is why Bargs would dominate because he wouldnt have to bulk up in todays NBA and Bosh guard the better big whoever it is.
Todays modern game its positionless. He could start as PF offensively but guard weak players like Tucker and Wiggins.
This is a league where guards can guard Giannis mostly bc of the soft rules for Curry. You dont need defense to be a star.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!

Return to The General Board