The value of Wiggins

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

What is Wiggins value?

GSW Fan - Strong positive
2%
GSW Fan - Slight positive
2%
GSW Fan - Neutral value
2%
GSW Fan - Slight Negative
4%
GSW Fan - Strong Negative
5%
Other Fan - Strong positive
2%
Other Fan - Slight positive
6%
Other Fan - Neutral value
11%
Other Fan - Slight Negative
23%
Other Fan - Strong Negative
43%

Total votes: 242

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Re: The value of Wiggins 

Post#81 » by Coxy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 am

winston2chainz wrote:Bob Myers thought he was light years ahead when he saw Wiggins thrash the sorry ass 2019-2020 Warriors squad and traded for his ridiculous contract while netting a 2021 lottery pick thinking that Wiggins was somehow salvageable.

When you're 6'7 with Jordan level athleticism but you've never been able to positively impact a basketball game for 5 years, you're just a bad player. Literally hasn't improved his game or gained a pound since joining the league, and it blows my mind that he's so bad defensively when he's 6'7 with Jordan level athleticism.

Think of everything that makes Jimmy Butler a great player, now imagine the exact opposite of that, and you've got Wiggins.

Wiggins awful contract is going to hamstring the Warriors and the Steph/ Klay/ Dray final years are going to be a 1st or 2nd round exit because the front office have never been able to find value contracts like the Nuggets, Rockets, Raptors or Heat.

But Bob 'Light Years' Myers is going to maybe draft a handful of Harrison Barnes, Klays, Draymonds in the upcoming drafts and Warriors once Steph enters his twilight years they'll be on a treadmill of mediocrity.

Good for you mate.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,387

Post#82 » by svart » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:01 am

winston2chainz wrote:Bob Myers thought he was light years ahead when he saw Wiggins thrash the sorry ass 2019-2020 Warriors squad and traded for his ridiculous contract while netting a 2021 lottery pick thinking that Wiggins was somehow salvageable.

When you're 6'7 with Jordan level athleticism but you've never been able to positively impact a basketball game for 5 years, you're just a bad player. Literally hasn't improved his game or gained a pound since joining the league, and it blows my mind that he's so bad defensively when he's 6'7 with Jordan level athleticism.

Think of everything that makes Jimmy Butler a great player, now imagine the exact opposite of that, and you've got Wiggins.

Wiggins awful contract is going to hamstring the Warriors and the Steph/ Klay/ Dray final years are going to be a 1st or 2nd round exit because the front office have never been able to find value contracts like the Nuggets, Rockets, Raptors or Heat.

But Bob 'Light Years' Myers is going to maybe draft a handful of Harrison Barnes, Klays, Draymonds in the upcoming drafts and Warriors once Steph enters his twilight years they'll be on a treadmill of mediocrity.

I understand you did not watched the games AW played for the dubs this year.

His defense was very good, it surprised me.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#83 » by michaelm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 am

Perhaps thousands wouldn't, but I believe you are a GSW fan.

Again, maybe they would have been better off with nobody/nothing, the luxury tax might send them broke in the world of covid-19.

Otherwise THEY CANNOT SPEND THAT MONEY to contract any other player, the choices were not contracting DLo and getting nothing from KD's departure, keeping DLo in the hope that they could trade him in the future despite having no offers except from the Twolves, or acquiring Wiggins who they saw as having some potential to fill a position of need, a potential they assessed DLo as not having, plus a potentially quite valuable 1st round pick. The move did not limit their future roster construction in any way unless the luxury tax sends Lacob broke, it gave them something extra to trade in the Minnesota first round pick, an admittedly remote chance at this stage of trading Wiggins for someone else if he looks better with them, not that I believe that was the motive for acquiring him, and the expiring contract thing I have never understood in the last year of his contract ie it increased their flexibility somewhat. They may well be proven wrong about him being a useful piece for them but haven't been yet, proving same will require him to be failing after significant minutes playing with the 3 long term core GSW players.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#84 » by Neutral 123 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Yep. It's the trap of potential. Wiggins has always underperformed. Watching him in high school, the story was the same, an elite athlete who disappears at times. Potential and other circumstances have gotten him everything. First overall, max extension and still people holding onto the idea he's going to break out.

What I've observed is that potential is never based on talent. It's based on work ethic. I'll take the potential of someone without all the talent in the world but outworks everyone.

If he at least worked on his body coming into the season, I'd say maybe something has changed with him. It's incredible to me that 5 years in and he still looks like a rail thin rookie.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#85 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm

He has moderate negative value.

GSW keep talking about his potential. He's on his 7th season in the NBA he is what he is stop being teased by this guy.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#86 » by vagelis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:33 pm

22ppg, 5rpg, 3.7 apg is not potential, he performs right now and he averages 20ppg for 6 years.
He is the 11th youngest player in the history of nba who reached 8000 points.
This is not potential.
We have to see how well he will fit with Warriors, with Curry,Thompson and Green
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,614

Post#87 » by Kingdibs19 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Poll confused me but Wiggins is an overpaid poor mans Derozan.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#88 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Really nicely setup poll! :wizard:

I was just going to comment this without the awesome usage of the wizard.

This is how all polls should be set up going forward! At least all ones with either TOR or NY players. :D
michaelm
RealGM

Post#89 » by michaelm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:

Yep. It's the trap of potential. Wiggins has always underperformed. Watching him in high school, the story was the same, an elite athlete who disappears at times. Potential and other circumstances have gotten him everything. First overall, max extension and still people holding onto the idea he's going to break out.

What I've observed is that potential is never based on talent. It's based on work ethic. I'll take the potential of someone without all the talent in the world but outworks everyone.

If he at least worked on his body coming into the season, I'd say maybe something has changed with him. It's incredible to me that 5 years in and he still looks like a rail thin rookie.

The potential I spoke of is that he is a SF and they need a SF, and they like the idea of a long athletic SF. They didn’t manage to keep the Kevin Durant they had, and there aren’t any other Kevin Durants to be had nor any way of GSW getting one if there was another one around. What they didn’t need was a small no defence high usage guard Ie DLo

As I and others keep saying, he doesn’t constrain/hamstring their future roster unless LaCob can’t afford the luxury tax and starts going broke.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#90 » by michaelm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Double
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#91 » by CptCrunch » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:14 pm

There are two cases:

1) Wiggins is trash, 1 hot game followed by 4 luke warm or cold games for 7 years shows this. If 1) is true then given Wiggins' contract, he is obviously a top 3 worst contract in the league.

2) Minnesota's system, culture or coaching is trash. Bob Myers is a genius who is ahead of the league in talent evaluation. Wiggins is actually a starter+ level wing player and playing with Curry/Thompson will showcase this (ignoring that fact that Jimmy "GOAT" Buckets and his abusive methods didn't fix Wiggins). If 2) is true, then Wiggins is a starter on a bad contract, his value is slightly negative.

There is no third case that Wiggins is a star waiting to be unleashed by the Warriors.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#92 » by Packbuckman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:58 pm

vagelis wrote:22ppg, 5rpg, 3.7 apg is not potential, he performs right now and he averages 20ppg for 6 years.
This is not potential.
We have to see how well he will fit with Warriors, with Curry,Thompson and Green

On terrible efficiency for a max player. Jabari at least showed one good season before he blew his knee out again. He was a number one overall pick that is not close to being an all star player who gives a **** if he’s the 11th youngest to do that. Embiid has show to be far the best player of that draft and I wish the bucks would have taking him.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#93 » by drosereturn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
vagelis wrote:22ppg, 5rpg, 3.7 apg is not potential, he performs right now and he averages 20ppg for 6 years.
This is not potential.

On terrible efficiency for a max player. Jabari at least showed one good season before he blew his knee out again. He was a number one overall pick that is not close to being an all star player who gives a **** if he’s the 11th youngest to do that. Embiid has show to be far the best player of that draft and I wish the bucks would have taking him.

The funny thing is plenty of bad players can pad those stats esp nowadays.
A washed up Westbrook can probably avg those numbers in 3 quarters with his eyes closed and Lavine, Jabari, Lou wont sweat to get those statline. Harden avging 40 pts 10/10 doesnt mean he is better than Jordan. this silly raw stat argument has to end here.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#94 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:41 pm

He's definitely a negative value player all things considered. For the warriors, he is more like a beggars can't be choosers kind of situation. The warriors didn't have many options. The money or option to sign a guy without the DLo trade just wasn't there. If it werent for the DLo signing, we would probably be talking about Moe Harkless or glenn robinson as the starting SF for them next season, or hoping a guy like gallinari signs for the MLE (unlikely).

As a warriors fan, I am thankful the FO would even take on such a massive salary in hopes to have even a decent starter to replace KD, and it doesnt hurt that a pick from a perpetually struggling franchise came with him.

I try not to think about his salary and am just hoping he is a positive player for the team. But yes, as of now he is a negative value and most likely will be until the end of his current contract.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,400

Post#95 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Wiggins is a superior athlete which means he can do a lot of things. Because of that he doesn’t develop one specialized go to move. With his size and speed he should focus on a few moves. He’d be better learning to play old man game.

Assuming Warriors don’t trade for a superstar, he will be the core of the future Warriors, along with this year’s draft, and next year’s draft. Curry, Thompson, Green will transition into bench mentors.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#96 » by CS707 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm

CptCrunch wrote:There are two cases:

1) Wiggins is trash, 1 hot game followed by 4 luke warm or cold games for 7 years shows this. If 1) is true then given Wiggins' contract, he is obviously a top 3 worst contract in the league.

2) Minnesota's system, culture or coaching is trash. Bob Myers is a genius who is ahead of the league in talent evaluation. Wiggins is actually a starter+ level wing player and playing with Curry/Thompson will showcase this (ignoring that fact that Jimmy "GOAT" Buckets and his abusive methods didn't fix Wiggins). If 2) is true, then Wiggins is a starter on a bad contract, his value is slightly negative.

There is no third case that Wiggins is a star waiting to be unleashed by the Warriors.

Sort of. Nobody thinks Meyers was a genius for this move. It was the best of limited (bad) options.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#97 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Would he make the Lakers better if they had him?

If you say yes...no matter what the reason...then NBA ability wise he is an above average player.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to The General Board