What Euroleague players could get signed by an NBA team this season?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,331

Re: What Euroleague players could get signed by an NBA team this season? 

Post#21 » by TheNG » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 am

It seems to me that most Euroleague prospects who can be successful in the NBA are already there/already played there.
I think that since most Euroleague players will be "decent" defenders at most, the main ability which can help them contribute in the NBA is shooting.
That's why I think the following players have the best chances:
PG/SG: Nando De Colo, Vasilije Micic
SF: Vladimir Lucic, Rokas Giedraitis
PF: Tornike Shengelia
C: Bojan Dubljevic

I actually can't believe how Shengelia hasn't played in the NBA yet. I think him, together with De Colo, Micic and Giedraitis, are the best fit.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 576

Post#22 » by CumberlandPosey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:20 am

shengelia did play in the nba though.2 years.didnt really took off as it were his early years.what i saw of him this season doesnt speak exactly of nba caliber.and lucic i could envision in a kleber role somehow.hope he stays at bayern for a long time.just a feeling but i think overall quality has been reduced in euroleague over the last five seasons....
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#23 » by Paija » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 am

Well, the thing is that a lot of young players with upside do not play much. Consider for example Kurucs (Rodions, not Arturs). He was end of the bench guy, but Nets drafted him, gave him 4 yr contract (just bcs of his obligations to the previous club) and probably are very happy with him, he even started a lot of games and is very cheap. If Nets waited until he became starter in Europe it would never happen. So a smart team must look exactly at the young players on the bench, bcs they could be had for cheap and developed in NBA. And they will not yet have families etc. that make it more difficult to move.
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 454

Post#24 » by frica » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am

KqWIN wrote:I don’t think you can look at the “best” euroleague players and assume that they are the best fits for the NBA. Anyone who is being brought over from the Euroleague is being brought in to play a role. Being a star in Euroleague doesn’t mean that skill set translates well into playing a specific role. A player who already plays well in a role is probably going to be able to bring more value in the NBA doing the same thing.

If you look at the success stories, they’re mostly strong complimentary players that found the right situation to succeed. Kleber, Theis, Ingles ect.

This, a one-dimensional roleplayer can bring more to the table (on an NBA team) than an allround-mediocre player.
turnmeup88
Junior
And1: 315

Post#25 » by turnmeup88 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:52 am

I'd like to see De Colo get another shot at the NBA.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Post#26 » by UcanUwill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 am

KqWIN wrote:I don’t think you can look at the “best” euroleague players and assume that they are the best fits for the NBA. Anyone who is being brought over from the Euroleague is being brought in to play a role. Being a star in Euroleague doesn’t mean that skill set translates well into playing a specific role. A player who already plays well in a role is probably going to be able to bring more value in the NBA doing the same thing.

If you look at the success stories, they’re mostly strong complimentary players that found the right situation to succeed. Kleber, Theis, Ingles ect.

Exactly, Mirotic already hijacked this thread which I feared, by not contributing to it at all, but just caling every suggestion Euroleague roleplayer or scrub, because you know, he needs to make sure everyone knows how great Euroleague is :lol: Tho I agree with him that Brock Motum suggestionn is just insane.

he shut down options like Chris Singleton because they are role players. I am fully aware he is role player, but these type of caliber players need to know how to be ultimate role players if they want to translate to the NBA, Mxi Bleber and Daniel Theis were roleplayers in Euroleague, and in past few years they were one of the best Euroleague imports.
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,331

Post#27 » by TheNG » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Exactly, Mirotic already hijacked this thread which I feared, by not contributing to it at all, but just caling every suggestion Euroleague roleplayer or scrub, because you know, he needs to make sure everyone knows how great Euroleague is :lol: Tho I agree with him that Brock Motum suggestionn is just insane.

he shut down options like Chris Singleton because they are role players. I am fully aware he is role player, but these type of caliber players need to know how to be ultimate role players if they want to translate to the NBA, Mxi Bleber and Daniel Theis were roleplayers in Euroleague, and in past few years they were one of the best Euroleague imports.

I think they're also successful due to the teams they play in.
Think about the teams where all these European players "overachieve". These teams usually have a good system of "team" basketball with a good dominant coach, be it the Spurs, the Jazz, the Celtics, the Nuggets, the Mavs etc. It's never the teams that have big egocentric superstars...
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#28 » by KqWIN » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, the top 5 free agents signed directly from Europe are Ingles, O'Neale, Kleber, Theis, and Baynes. All of these guys were fairly unassuming, and if they went back I don't think they're winning MVP's and such. O'Neale and Kleber weren't even in the Euroleague IIRC. It's really all about finding the right player for the right situation. This is true for most players, not just guys who played in Europe.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#29 » by MrTwister » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:26 pm

FWIW Dubljević never really expressed big desire to make a transition to NBA even though there was interest from other teams, not only from team that holds his rights. Head intl scout for Minny who also happen to have ties in Montenegro tried his best to convince him but he remains loyal to Valencia. He loves the city and team, he is there for almost 10 years and never really expressed desire to move either to bigger euro team for more $$ or NBA. So i would rule him out from that list of potential euro targets.

Campazzo is the guy to watch and some other euro US vets expressed interest to pursue NBA deal this offseason like Anthony Gill.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:46 pm

MrTwister wrote:FWIW Dubljević never really expressed big desire to make a transition to NBA even though there was interest from other teams, not only from team that holds his rights. Head intl scout for Minny who also happen to have ties in Montenegro tried his best to convince him but he remains loyal to Valencia. He loves the city and team, he is there for almost 10 years and never really expressed desire to move either to bigger euro team for more $$ or NBA. So i would rule him out from that list of potential euro targets.

Campazzo is the guy to watch and some other euro US vets expressed interest to pursue NBA deal this offseason like Anthony Gill.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Lets just talk how good Bojan is this year. 30.7 PER, 75.3 TS, 1.8 PPS, 132.4 ORtg% in Euroleague

its kinda regular for very talented bigmen to be super efficient in Europe, but he shoots so many 3s and stretch the floor for his teammates, so 75TS% is ridiculous. Guy completely exposed Tavares for a terrible defender he is in their head matchup, but if you want my insight on Tavares, go to international board :lol:

You know me, I am kinda a Vucevic hater. Not that I hate him, but I think he is so overrated. He is basically Valanciunas with far worse efficiency, but his jumper is quicker and smoother, he actually jumps on his jumpers, and he just moves smoother, so everyone assumes hes better than guy like Valanciunas, while in reality Valanciunas puts identical numbers on much higher efficiency, he much better at drawing fouls, he is actually much tougher. I am just salty Valanciunas fan... My point is, Vucevic is overrated, and Dubjlevic is crazy underrated, because he is so loyal his his team, which is not a high profile team. I honestly think there isnt all that much separation between Dubjevic and Vucevic, and to think how much money Bojan might have left there for being loyal to Valencia...boy. But I have nothing but respect for such a player.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#31 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:27 pm

Hey, if you like players like Raptors' Matt Thomas, a guy who is there just spot up, run off screens and catch and shoot 3s, a deadly shooter, you should bookmark this name - Kyle Kuric. Right now he is probably the best player in that role that there is. Playing on stacked Barcelona team, listen to this, 69.4 3PT% after eleven games, 9.8 ppg in just 14:45 minutes, 93.8 FT%, guy cant miss if you find him, absolute machine.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#32 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:35 pm

MrTwister wrote:FWIW Dubljević never really expressed big desire to make a transition to NBA even though there was interest from other teams, not only from team that holds his rights. Head intl scout for Minny who also happen to have ties in Montenegro tried his best to convince him but he remains loyal to Valencia. He loves the city and team, he is there for almost 10 years and never really expressed desire to move either to bigger euro team for more $$ or NBA. So i would rule him out from that list of potential euro targets.

I am pretty sure that Dubljevic has a very big salary in Valencia. They have a super rich ownership and quite a big budget. I am sure that he is making in the upper tier of EuroLeague salaries with his club. So it would be like Campazzo and many other EuroLeague players. He would take a large pay cut to come to the NBA, even without a buyout.

UcanUwill wrote:Hey, if you like players like Raptors' Matt Thomas, a guy who is there just spot up, run off screens and catch and shoot 3s, a deadly shooter, you should bookmark this name - Kyle Kuric. Right now he is probably the best player in that role that there is. Playing on stacked Barcelona team, listen to this, 69.4 3PT% after eleven games, 9.8 ppg in just 14:45 minutes, 93.8 FT%, guy cant miss if you find him, absolute machine.

UcanUwill, please don't compare Matt Thomas to Kyle Kuric. That's a big time insult to Kuric. Kuric is light years a better player.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:UcanUwill, please don't compare Matt Thomas to Kyle Kuric. That's a big time insult to Kuric. Kuric is light years a better player.

I agree, I just compared their playstyle and role.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:43 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I agree, I just compared their playstyle and role.

Matt Thomas is more of a designated gunner type of player. Kuric actually has an offensive game and some moves and different ways to score. He's also very athletic and explosive. I really don't think they are that similar, other than being same sized white guys with very good 3 point shot and that play / played in Spain.

Matt Thomas is more something the type of EuroLeague player like Vitaly Fridzon or Arturus Milaknis, except not as good as either of them were. Kuric is not just a shooter, but also a scorer and a big time finisher.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#35 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I agree, I just compared their playstyle and role.

Matt Thomas is more of a designated gunner type of player. Kuric actually has an offensive game and some moves and different ways to score. He's also very athletic and explosive. I really don't think they are that similar, other than being same sized white guys with very good 3 point shot and that play / played in Spain.

Matt Thomas is more something the type of EuroLeague player like Vitaly Fridzon or Artuus Milaknis, except not as good as either of them were. Kuric is not just a shooter, but also a scorer and a big time finisher.

Matt Thomas is like Milaknis I agree, I wouldnt say Thomas is worse than Fridzon or Milaknis, Milaknis in general is very inconsistent, for a shooters shooter, hes too streaky and not even that great of the FT shooter, I would rather have Thomas than Milaknis.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Matt Thomas is like Milaknis I agree, I wouldnt say Thomas is worse than Fridzon or Milaknis, Milaknis in general is very inconsistent, for a shooters shooter, hes too streaky and not even that great of the FT shooter, I would rather have Thomas than Milaknis.

Not prime Milankis. Thomas is better than current version of Fridzon and Milaknis, who are almost at the end of their careers, well Fridzon is already an ex player basically. But those guys at their prime, were much better than Thomas.

Anyway, no comparison to Kuric. He is a legit big scoring threat. He's much closer to the impact, skills and athletic level of like a younger version of Jaycee Carroll. I know you are just trying to give examples of NBA players for NBA only fans.

But Thomas, Carroll, and Kuric are all Americans than played in NCAA. There should be no excuse for US basketball fans not to be able to know them.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:17 pm

So after Facu Campazzo and Gabby Deck (despite him being an average player in EuroLeague) already signed, there is some mention of Mike James also.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1195631/new-york-knicks-reportedly-considering-mike-james/

New York Knicks reportedly considering Mike James

And also Luca Vildoza.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The NBA is so incredibly predictable......Argentina got the silver medal at the 2019 World Cup, and now the NBA just wants to sign all of their good players for marketing in Argentina. This kind of stuff just proves there is no truth at all to the "all the best players in Europe go to the NBA" claims. How good the players are is clearly a secondary consideration to what their home country marketing possibility is.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#38 » by realEAST » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Not following Euro ball that closely this year, but isn't Vasilije Micic having a great season? He has just turned 27 and imo would be at least a very good backup guard for just about any team in the league.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#39 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:27 pm

realEAST wrote:Not following Euro ball that closely this year, but isn't Vasilije Micic having a great season? He has just turned 27 and imo would be at least a very good backup guard for just about any team in the league.

Micic to OKC next year is almost done deal. Micic has been great, I think he will be on all Euroleague first team.

Deck signing made no sense, NBA decided to sign him before he even played in Euroleague, and him being very average at best didn't change their enthusiasm, I dont get the hype around Deck at all, reminds me of Jock Landale, everyone told me how great Landale was and how he is lock to go to NBA, but then he signed with Zalgiris and was underwhelming to say the least, but in that case it killed Landale's NBA talk, where Deck still managed to get signed for some reason. I mean he is not even that young, if he was 20 it would make sense, guy is 26.

Return to The General Board