Does any team want Nic Batum?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Re: Does any team want Nic Batum? 

Post#101 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:48 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:That max contract was one of the worst in NBA entire History.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app

Thank you Michael Jordan for taking care of our tab.

Ballmer returned that savings to the Morris bros :lol:
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,675

Post#102 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:19 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:That max contract was one of the worst in NBA entire History.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app

Ugh. I'm worried Morris coming back will mess with Batum's game. I think Morris is far better suited for the bench scorer role. I hope Lue is smart about this. I get the "64 million to come off the bench" thing, but it is what it is. Gotta do what's best for the team.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#103 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:23 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Ugh. I'm worried Morris coming back will mess with Batum's game. I think Morris is far better suited for the bench scorer role. I hope Lue is smart about this. I get the "64 million to come off the bench" thing, but it is what it is. Gotta do what's best for the team.

I’d be surprised if they took Batum out of the starting lineup the way things are going. Having a low usage, good passer like Batum fits in well with the 2 stars. And like you said, Morris can get his shots with the 2nd unit.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,449

Post#104 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:46 pm

Wouldn’t be the first time a guy with a foot out the door finds ways to help a contender.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#105 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:08 pm

I stated in another Batum thread, Cha made him looked washed, LAC makes him look like a key contributor
Hullajelolt
Junior
And1: 512

Post#106 » by Hullajelolt » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:13 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Wouldn’t be the first time a guy with a foot out the door finds ways to help a contender.

For the Clippers it will be. Pierce, Hedo, Granger, Hill, Jamison, Big Baby, Odom, S-Jax, Ricky Davis... quite an impressive list of good players who failed to make an impact on the team.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,449

Post#107 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:43 pm

Hullajelolt wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Wouldn’t be the first time a guy with a foot out the door finds ways to help a contender.

For the Clippers it will be. Pierce, Hedo, Granger, Hill, Jamison, Big Baby, Odom, S-Jax, Ricky Davis... quite an impressive list of good players who failed to make an impact on the team.

All it takes is 1 to help you get there and then all the others will have been worth it.

I’m thinking Richard Jefferson for CLE
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,016

Post#108 » by Woodsanity » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:44 pm

Hullajelolt wrote:

All of them were done by the time they came to the Clippers. Literal tail end of their careers....

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,413

Post#109 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:45 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Batum is not an NBA caliber player in 2020. He really wasn't in 2019 or 2018 either. You guys are thinking about 2012-2016 Batum or something in that neighborhood but that guy is gone forever.

It’s still early but he’s been arguably the 3rd most important player on the Clippers this year. In a type of Iggy/Diaw Swiss Army knife role. He’s been a phenomenal locker room presence and a huge help on both ends.

Good for y'all, I guess. He was complete ass the last two seasons in Charlotte, and it didn't even seem to be an attitude issue (he was cool in the locker room) he just sucked. I would have been lying if I told you I thought he could turn it around.

I don't know what the Hornets could have done differently with him tbh, Cody Martin was easily twice as useful a player last year and it wasn't close. Maybe he needs a perfect spot to give a damn.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,675

Post#110 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:35 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Batum is not an NBA caliber player in 2020. He really wasn't in 2019 or 2018 either. You guys are thinking about 2012-2016 Batum or something in that neighborhood but that guy is gone forever.

It’s still early but he’s been arguably the 3rd most important player on the Clippers this year. In a type of Iggy/Diaw Swiss Army knife role. He’s been a phenomenal locker room presence and a huge help on both ends.

Good for y'all, I guess. He was complete ass the last two seasons in Charlotte, and it didn't even seem to be an attitude issue (he was cool in the locker room) he just sucked. I would have been lying if I told you I thought he could turn it around.

I don't know what the Hornets could have done differently with him tbh, Cody Martin was easily twice as useful a player last year and it wasn't close. Maybe he needs a perfect spot to give a damn.

Most vet players don't exactly thrive on bad teams. Look at how Draymond is doing post title favorite years? Doesn't mean at 31 years old or whatever he's just washed. It's likely him being frustrated or not as engaged. It's much easier for a young player trying to even make an NBA team to get up for those games. Wasn't he also constantly injured?
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,413

Post#111 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:49 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Most vet players don't exactly thrive on bad teams. Look at how Draymond is doing post title favorite years? Doesn't mean at 31 years old or whatever he's just washed. It's likely him being frustrated or not as engaged. It's much easier for a young player trying to even make an NBA team to get up for those games. Wasn't he also constantly injured?

He was injured a bit but it wasn't a major contributing factor to his play. The thing with Charlotte is they were in a weird in-between position up until they lost Kemba. Green on the Warriors last year isn't a great comparison, even the Hornets last year were significantly better than what he was working with when Curry/Klay sat. If Batum had been able to give Charlotte a decent level of play in 2018 or 2019 they would have made the playoffs both seasons and it would completely change the complexion of how people viewed them over that period.

I can understand a guy checking out on a 20-25 win team. But if you're the highest-paid player on a team that is one quality starter away from being in the playoffs...and you can't be that quality starter? That is worth criticizing for sure. Kemba was leaving it all on the floor every night for half the price. Nothing personal and no hard feelings towards him but he sucked and I'm not going to make excuses for him. If he had given the team even 60% of what they thought he was as a player then he wouldn't have been on a lotto squad at all. FWIW the fact he wasn't a disgruntled vet in the locker room made it seem even more likely he was just washed, he wasn't sending out any signals that he wanted a better spot until late last year when he was totally benched.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,306

Post#112 » by hippesthippo » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:49 pm

Batum is looking good. It's pretty clear he was never fully invested in Charlotte.

I'd like to see him gain 30lbs over the next year and morph into the next Boris Diaw. It's hard to believe now, but that tub-o-lard was listed as a PG back in his Atlanta days.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,253

Post#113 » by og15 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:52 pm

Hullajelolt wrote:

Yea, Clippers were getting guys when they were like 36 years old, or in Granger's case coming off a career limiting injury, and Odom, drugs, though he was solid defensively that season.

Batum on the other hand isn't that old (32) and hasn't had any debilitating injury, so definitely a much better prospect.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,534

Post#114 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:16 pm

There is actually over 100 players in this league 8M-12M worthy which would be a disaster for a team with 25M salary but pure gold if their salary is 2.5M, especially if they playing for a contender team for a minimum (for example Rondo and Howard last season in Lakers).

Batum overnight becomes from the overpaid "stone around the neck" of the lottery team to cheap "missing peace saviour" of contender, which makes his case so intriguing.

Return to The General Board