Win or Loss for Leon Rose & the Knicks this off-season?

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,834

Re: Win or Loss for Leon Rose & the Knicks this off-season? 

Post#81 » by nikster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:49 pm

Clyde Ward wrote:the Knicks unfortunately, are not a team that is capable of developing a long-term prospect.

their rookies need to be able to contribute right away because

1. they don't get the full support of the franchise over 1 year vet contract hunters.

2. knicks can't develop them in limited minutes.

look at Frank N. - was a high-upside project. does anybody else think he would have such an underwhelming first 3 years if he were playing with a more structured franchise?

hopefully Toppin needs less "development" and just more NBA structure / coaching under Thibs to reach his potential.

I also think playing with such terrible spacing really hurts their young players development as well
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#82 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:55 pm

I would give it a C. They didn’t make any stupid moves, but they also didn’t make any moves at all, really. I’m high on Toppin, but at the same time, I’m not expecting him to come in and be a game-changer.

Underwhelming FA signings and an overall unwatchable, motley crew of players that aren’t entertaining and aren’t going to win anything — that’s my view of this Knicks team. This looks like another 19-25 win season (or whatever that’ll convert to in 72 games).
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#83 » by Indomitable » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:11 pm

iamworthy wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Sorry, forgive my ignorance.... Exactly how much FO experience3 does/did Leon Rose have prior to him taking this position?

About the same amount as Rob Pelinka when he took the Lakers job. He's not going to turn it around overnight, it's going to take some time.

Lebron is what turned it around. Do not get it twisted.
:banghead:
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,837

Post#84 » by Karate Diop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Capn'O wrote:Incomplete. My guess is there's a Randle move to come.

Karate Diop wrote:They haven't made any moves that will have a long-term negative impact and they did come away with a great prospect at the top of the draft so in that sense this off-season was a "win" for him... At the same time they are looking like they'll field a bottom tier roster again and will struggle to be competitive.

As far as I'm concerned that second piece is a blessing in disguise, especially if some of their youngsters look like core pieces in the process. A Hayward type deal would have been a disaster.

That said, there have been things I didn't like. Wish they had gone after some guys like Wood/Melton and bringing back Payton is questionable at best. A good move with Randle and some of the draft capital could make the negatives a forest/trees situation.

That's true. My criticism I guess is that the Knicks should be looking for their Spencer Dinwiddie / Joe Harris but for whatever reason don't want to...
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#85 » by Bologna Smasher » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm

I'd say it's a win so far. They didn't give out any stupid deals. None of the key free agents this year would've put the team over the top (not counting Davis or Ingram). VanVleet and Christian Wood would've been the main targets for me if I was the Knicks, but those two aren't going to move the needle much by themselves. The guys they did sign are guys that can potentially be moved at the deadline for further assets if they play well enough, just like Marcus Morris.

Everyone has their opinion on Toppin, but he was their guy and they didn't think he would fall to them, so that's a win. Quickley is a solid pickup as well.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,465

Post#86 » by Saints14 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Seems like they made some shrewd moves on the margins. Didn't they effectively improve 2 picks at once during the draft and then get 2 seconds just for being the middleman with Tony Bradley? Not sure about Toppin but just stuff like that has to be nice to see for Knicks fans
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#87 » by thamadkant » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 pm

They absolutely need Knox, Barrett and Robinson to pan out..

Heck even Dennis Smith Jr... They need him to shake off what ever cog web that has affected him.

They need the young players they recruited or acquired to start playing close to their potential.

Other than that they are absolutely in dire situation...

Which is very surprising for a team like New York... Where you'd think rich athletes would love to live in and be exposed to the massive companies around them.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,048

Post#88 » by Capn'O » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Incomplete. My guess is there's a Randle move to come.

Karate Diop wrote:They haven't made any moves that will have a long-term negative impact and they did come away with a great prospect at the top of the draft so in that sense this off-season was a "win" for him... At the same time they are looking like they'll field a bottom tier roster again and will struggle to be competitive.

As far as I'm concerned that second piece is a blessing in disguise, especially if some of their youngsters look like core pieces in the process. A Hayward type deal would have been a disaster.

That said, there have been things I didn't like. Wish they had gone after some guys like Wood/Melton and bringing back Payton is questionable at best. A good move with Randle and some of the draft capital could make the negatives a forest/trees situation.

That's true. My criticism I guess is that the Knicks should be looking for their Spencer Dinwiddie / Joe Harris but for whatever reason don't want to...

More or less, yes. I don't get that either. Pro scouting with youth has been a big part of the Nets and Heat plans with great results.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#89 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 pm

LibertyKnicks00 wrote:According to reports, every free agent that was linked to the Knicks signed else where. Hayward got a mega deal, which would’ve gone down as historically bad, FVV wasn’t leaving Toronto.

Obviously the case is still unknown on Russell Westbrook, but I don’t think at this point Rose is desperate make the Knicks a pretender.

I’m in the middle. I wanted Hayward, but on a 3/70m deal, and look to make a deal with Utah for Conley for Randle, or just sign a starting PG. To build some kind of winning, positive culture without mortgaging the future.

It’s obviously no one wants to sign here, and it’s understandable. And I think Leon Rose & the Knicks know everyone feels that way, and the modern NBA layers want to play for Brooklyn.

But what I see is Rose not caring, and focusing on the youth right now, and the next wave of upcoming prospects.

Right now we look pathetic, but I respect that Rose isn’t making a fool out of himself like Charlotte is.

I’m sure we’re looking to deal Randle but who wants him. If we can deal Randle for a guy like Mike Conley. The Knicks could at least play some respectable ball under Thibs.

Our lineup looks pathetic but I guess it’s what we got to roll with.

Elfrid Payton — Frank Ntilikina — Dennis Smith, Jr
Alec Burks — Immanuel Quickley
RJ Barrett — Kevin Knox
Obi Toppin — Julius Randle
Mitchell Robinson — Nerlens Noel - Ed Davis

2021- NYK 1st, DAL 1st
2022- NYK 1st
2022- NYK 1st, DAL 1st
**Plus a ton of 2nd round picks

**20m cap space available

Are the Knicks doing the right thing here? Because we won’t be good for another 2-3 years.

Non-Knick fans. Do you trust Leon Rose and their FO knows what he’s doing? Lord knows we haven’t had that in over 20 years.

When I heard they were going after Hayward, it kinda made sense to me. Not sure if I'm on an island there.
My thinking was you overpay for a couple of years of Hayward (say 50-55m over 2 years), and see what you can do in free agency the offseason after next. That gives Toppin, Robinson and Barrett time to develop with a vet (Hayward) who can take some of the heat, and isn't a ballstopper, or impediment to growth. The risk is that you take yourself out of high lottery selections, if Hayward stays healthy. But that makes you a more attractive free agent destination, and hopefully means Barrett, Toppin and Robinson (or at least 2 of them) have become fully fledged NBA players.

In the meantime, you bide your time on guys like Randle, and move him when it makes sense, but you don't need to rush, and you're not competing in a more confusing, and more crowded free agent space next season.

Then Hayward went and got himself 4 years at $30m per. So my idea of 'overpaying' him for a couple really was stillborn.

Take that away, and I think it's been a solid enough offseason for a new front office. I don't rate it highly, but they haven't hurt themselves (which is faint praise, but still...). They really wanted Toppin, so it really comes down to whether they are right on that, or if they're on a path to being a treadmill team. And their dancing around at the back end of the first round actually was pretty clever. I haven't seen enough of Quickley to have a strong opinion, but I'm not convinced he's the NY PG of the future. But...again...if he clicks and becomes at least a credible distributor with 3 and D chops, I kinda get it.

So...I'd grade them about a C+, with the real grade being highly dependent on those 2 draft picks, and how Thibs goes developing them (as well as Barrett and Robinson). As well as how they clear out the junk in the roster without causing issues or roadblock development.
hundreth
Senior
And1: 373

Post#90 » by hundreth » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:04 pm

As a Knicks fan I was pretty impressed with the shrewdness and patience they were displaying this off-season. Then, the moment they signed Elfrid Payton it became obvious the priority was to once again give all the playing time to one year journey men who contribute nothing to the future of the franchise. And that's when I knew it was all pointless.

D-

Return to The General Board