Top 8 teams in the East

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

iBall101
Pro Prospect
And1: 271

Re: Top 8 teams in the East 

Post#161 » by iBall101 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:28 pm

1. Bucks
2. 76ers
3. Nets
4. Raptors
5. Celtics
6. Heat
7. Cavaliers
8. Hawks
:nod: Masai’s Raptors :nod:

PG: I. Quickley/ T. Horton-Tucker/ J. Freeman
SG: G. Trent Jr./ G. Dick/ B. Brown
SF: R. Barrett/ O. Agbaji / G. Temple
PF: S. Barnes/ T. Lyles/ J. Crowder
C: J. Poeltl/ K. Olynk/ J. Porter
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#162 » by Duffman100 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:40 pm

iBall101 wrote:1. Bucks
2. 76ers
3. Nets
4. Raptors
5. Celtics
6. Heat
7. Cavaliers
8. Hawks

:o :o :o
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,437

Post#163 » by oldncreaky » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:16 pm

Blaze4G wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Blaze4G wrote:I think you're projecting. Smart is not sensitive and shouldn't be compared with what you think would hurt your feelings.

Raps being away from their home court although no fans is also going to affect them. They have one of the strongest home court advantages. But if you just want to deflect then I'll leave it at that. See you at the end of the season. Sig bet?

Yeah, it is going to effect us...just not in the regular season.

However, dangling Smart for a second might end up effecting you all year. We still have depth, you don't.

So sig bet? Second time I'm asking.

What is the bench/depth you guys currently have?

I know it wasn't meant for me, but I'd take a sig bet that raptors will be top 3 in the EC

To answer your question: Lowry, Siakim, FVV, and OG and are returning starters. Returning depth includes Powell, Davis, Thomas, Boucher, Johnson, and McCaw. Everybody returning can play defence and knows the team's schemes and roles. Added Baynes, Len and Bembry. They've also got a couple of G-leaguers who showed potential in limited minutes and are likely to get minutes ahead of draft choices or training camp invites.

I've watched a lot of Raptor games the last few years because the Pistons have been mostly unwatchable. The Raptors are a regular season beast. They win without Lowry, without centers (Gasol and Ibaka missed 46 games last year), without Kawhi (17-5 when he load managed). They've won roughly 2/3 of their road games the last 3 years. They've also been above .500 on the road against the WC the last 3 years. Their biggest RS problem last year was defensive rebounds, and that might be one issue where the changes at C actually help them. They will play hard, play defence, and have enough depth to overcome injuries and COVID issues. Everybody returning had a positive VORP last year. I'll be surprised if they win less than 2/3 of their games (48-24).

Are you sure you really want to bet against these Raptors?
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,889

Post#164 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:28 pm

1. Nets
2. Bucks
3. Celtics
4. Sixers
5. Heat
6. Raptors
7. Pacers
8. Hawks

I would normally put the Celtics lower, but I am done underestimating them. They burn me every year.

Miami I don't see as a great regular season team.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#165 » by Parataxis » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:53 pm

Top Tier

Bucks/Nets (assuming they stay healthy and KD returns to 90% form. Otherwise, all bets are off)

Second Tier
Raps/Celtics/Heat

Third tier
76ers/Hawks/Pacers
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#166 » by MGB8 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:25 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
MGB8 wrote:6. Raptors (age seems like it is catching up to Lowry, and Baynes/Len a downgrade from Gasol/Ibaka - could slip more).

I don't understand this Lowry narrative. He just put up 19, 7 and 5 on one of his better seasons. Where do people see age taking it's toll.

He's almost 35 years old. Against the Celtics, he was really inconsistent - two games over 30 points (both wins), three games at 16 points or under (one at 10 points) and sub 34% shooting (all losses), another game at 17 points (but 41% from the field) a blowout loss. And it's not like Kemba was at his best during that series, while Gordon Hayward didn't play (not directly impacting Lowry but impacting the series). He also put up a dud, at least shooting, the first game against Brooklyn. He just didn't look fresh in the bubble - he looked like an old warrior who could "will up" some outstanding games - but not do it on a consistent basis.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#167 » by Duffman100 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:29 pm

MGB8 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
MGB8 wrote:6. Raptors (age seems like it is catching up to Lowry, and Baynes/Len a downgrade from Gasol/Ibaka - could slip more).

I don't understand this Lowry narrative. He just put up 19, 7 and 5 on one of his better seasons. Where do people see age taking it's toll.

He's almost 35 years old. Against the Celtics, he was really inconsistent - two games over 30 points (both wins), three games at 16 points or under (one at 10 points) and sub 34% shooting (all losses), another game at 17 points (but 41% from the field) a blowout loss. And it's not like Kemba was at his best during that series, while Gordon Hayward didn't play (not directly impacting Lowry but impacting the series). He also put up a dud, at least shooting, the first game against Brooklyn. He just didn't look fresh in the bubble - he looked like an old warrior who could "will up" some outstanding games - but not do it on a consistent basis.

That's Kyle Lowry his entire career. He's inconsistent in shooting. Always has been.

Nothing about him looked like he was old, slow or struggling. He was the main reason we even stretched that series to 7 games.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#168 » by MGB8 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:31 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
I know it wasn't meant for me, but I'd take a sig bet that raptors will be top 3 in the EC

To answer your question: Lowry, Siakim, FVV, and OG and are returning starters. Returning depth includes Powell, Davis, Thomas, Boucher, Johnson, and McCaw. Everybody returning can play defence and knows the team's schemes and roles. Added Baynes, Len and Bembry. They've also got a couple of G-leaguers who showed potential in limited minutes and are likely to get minutes ahead of draft choices or training camp invites.

I've watched a lot of Raptor games the last few years because the Pistons have been mostly unwatchable. The Raptors are a regular season beast. They win without Lowry, without centers (Gasol and Ibaka missed 46 games last year), without Kawhi (17-5 when he load managed). They've won roughly 2/3 of their road games the last 3 years. They've also been above .500 on the road against the WC the last 3 years. Their biggest RS problem last year was defensive rebounds, and that might be one issue where the changes at C actually help them. They will play hard, play defence, and have enough depth to overcome injuries and COVID issues. Everybody returning had a positive VORP last year. I'll be surprised if they win less than 2/3 of their games (48-24).

Raptors are a team that plays hard, but the poster was right that the loss of the homecourt advantage will have some impact. Lowry being near 35 is going to have some impact. The loss of Gasol and Ibaka - replacing them with lesser players in Baynes and Len - is also going to have some impact. The depth, beyond Powell, isn't very good.

Grit goes a long way, so I would predict the Raptors imploding and falling out of the playoffs entirely. But being top 3 in the East where a lot of the other teams have improved will be a tough task. Not impossible - but I wouldn't put it at more than 1:3.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#169 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:54 am

There is no way Nets will place in the top two during the regular season. Both Irving and KD will be on some type of restriction coming in and I give the over/under of Kyrie crapping on either Nash or his teammates twenty five games.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#170 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:58 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:No kemba or Hayward in Boston to start the year, no way they should be in front of the raptors

They beat them in a series with a hobbled Kemba and no Hayward. A month of Teague isn’t going to significantly drop their win total, especially when your top two players are still developing.
DrHeat
Junior
And1: 617

Post#171 » by DrHeat » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:20 am

mademan wrote:Bucks
Raps
C's
Nets
Sixers
Heat
Pacers
Hawks

Miami is a 6th seat after they destroyed everyone in the eastern conference playoffs? ( they only lost 2 games to eastern conference teams)
They played a rockie and a second year player.. No roster int he East has more potential for internal improvement than Miami. You don't think those players will be more experienced after playing multiple playoff games and in the finals?

4 players in their rotation have less than 3 years of NBA experience

Herro
Robinson
Bam
Nunn
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,206

Post#172 » by skones » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:21 am

Duffman100 wrote:
That's Kyle Lowry his entire career. He's inconsistent in shooting. Always has been.

Nothing about him looked like he was old, slow or struggling. He was the main reason we even stretched that series to 7 games.

I don't think he's looked like he's falling off at all, but he's a 6'0 guard going on 35. Health would and should be the concern at that stage of his career. With that being said, sometimes these guys age and just hit a wall in its entirety. For a guy that size, who's so good on the margins, a step or half step slower makes an enormous difference.

Would it really surprise anyone if Chris Paul at 35 or 36 steps on the floor in Phoenix and looks like a shell of his self with OKC? I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case and his season with OKC was his swan song. Hell, he was getting the "he's done" from all angles his 2nd year in Houston.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#173 » by Duffman100 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:26 am

skones wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I don't think he's looked like he's falling off at all, but he's a 6'0 guard going on 35. Health would and should be the concern at that stage of his career. With that being said, sometimes these guys age and just hit a wall in its entirety. For a guy that size, who's so good on the margins, a step or half step slower makes an enormous difference.

Would it really surprise anyone if Chris Paul at 35 or 36 steps on the floor in Phoenix and looks like a shell of his self with OKC? I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case and his season with OKC was his swan song. Hell, he was getting the "he's done" from all angles his 2nd year in Houston.

Agreed. He could fall of a cliff.

But I’ve heard the same line the past 3 off seasons. That his age is catching up, and then he’s totally fine.

Quite frankly, he’s too smart of a player to just completely collapse.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#174 » by RoyceDa59 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:59 am

1. Bucks
2. Nets
3. Raptors
4. Celtics
5. Heat
6. Sixers
7. Pacers
8. Hawks

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Go Raps!!
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#175 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:02 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:No kemba or Hayward in Boston to start the year, no way they should be in front of the raptors

They beat them in a series with a hobbled Kemba and no Hayward. A month of Teague isn’t going to significantly drop their win total, especially when your top two players are still developing.

And the Raptors finished 5 games ahead in the standings, which is what this is about. Not the playoffs.
iBall101
Pro Prospect

Post#176 » by iBall101 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:25 am

Duffman100 wrote:
iBall101 wrote:1. Bucks
2. 76ers
3. Nets
4. Raptors
5. Celtics
6. Heat
7. Cavaliers
8. Hawks

:o :o :o

Yeah I know, its a bold prediction of mine. However, there's always one darkhorse that surprises everyone in both conferences. I'm betting on Cavs this year to make it.

iBall101
Pro Prospect

Post#177 » by iBall101 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:28 am

Parataxis wrote:Top Tier

Bucks/Nets (assuming they stay healthy and KD returns to 90% form. Otherwise, all bets are off)

Second Tier
Raps/Celtics/Heat

Third tier
76ers/Hawks/Pacers

Do not sleep on the sixers! They're gonna be better this season with a better coach this time around.

everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#178 » by everdiso » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:06 am

Is "near 35" now the official new name for "34"?
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 943

Post#179 » by Blaze4G » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:39 am

oldncreaky wrote:
Blaze4G wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Yeah, it is going to effect us...just not in the regular season.

However, dangling Smart for a second might end up effecting you all year. We still have depth, you don't.

So sig bet? Second time I'm asking.

What is the bench/depth you guys currently have?

You raise really good points and I see where you're coming from. My statement was before the raps acquired baynes. I really like baynes and actually bump my prediction from I think it was 6th seed to 4-5. I still think they will be out of the top 3 in the east. Although I do believe it is a close call now. I will still do the sig bet for fun.
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#180 » by 76ciology » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:42 am

Heat is overrated. They just went hot in the the bubble. They are not bad but they aren’t that good to be a top 3 team in the east.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to The General Board