Rookie of The Year Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, ken6199, BombsquadSammy

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
6
2%
Ball
103
35%
Bey
13
4%
Edwards
25
9%
Haliburton
73
25%
Okoro
2
1%
Quickley
45
15%
Tate
3
1%
Williams
8
3%
Wiseman
15
5%
 
Total votes: 293

Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 11,358
And1: 2,368
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1201 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 am

6ers83 wrote:Melo no doubt

I put no stock in Ant he’s putting up phony stats on the worst team in the league. If he was on the top 10 team he’d be averaging five or six points a game. He’s just a guy.


So, if he traded places with LaMello right now? What do you see happening?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,589
And1: 12,524
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1202 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:33 am

Jedzz wrote:
6ers83 wrote:Melo no doubt

I put no stock in Ant he’s putting up phony stats on the worst team in the league. If he was on the top 10 team he’d be averaging five or six points a game. He’s just a guy.


So, if he traded places with LaMello right now? What do you see happening?

Both players landed in their ideal spots to maximize their talents imo, same with Wiseman.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 9,506
And1: 5,024
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1203 » by HotelVitale » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:11 pm

6ers83 wrote:Melo no doubt. I put no stock in Ant he’s putting up phony stats on the worst team in the league. If he was on the top 10 team he’d be averaging five or six points a game. He’s just a guy.


Sure, Melo's the favorite but what are you talking about with Ant being 'just a guy?' He's a massive upside guy who very well might not put it together, term doesn't apply to him at all.
User avatar
Clocian
RealGM
Posts: 10,875
And1: 1,096
Joined: Nov 01, 2009
Location: Hip Hop
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1204 » by Clocian » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Pat got his official nickname last night. "Forget the claw, let's call him the PAW!" - Stacey

Went off in the 4th, and hit the game ending shot.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter


Damn I love Hip Hop!
brutalitops
Analyst
Posts: 3,332
And1: 4,029
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1205 » by brutalitops » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 pm

khufure wrote:
Rubio9Guy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Anthony Edwards haters will be deleting their takes soon
A week ago today, Duncan and Hollinger both said we'd be lucky to get "Wiggins vibes" from Edwards.

Such a bad take then and even moreso now. Ant is going to be great

I dunno, you gotta take it slow with NBA players especially guards who have to dribble. Talent is important, but that's not the end all. A one year take is not enough. With everyone out of college 1 year in you need 4-5 years to get a real feel for a player.

I saw Anthony Edwards first few highlights and thought "man this kid's got talent, why isn't he starting and getting more minutes?". Now he's getting mid-30s minutes, so all good on that front. But his off-season comment (https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-news-controversial-anthony-edwards-quote-about-love-for-basketball-draws-viral-reactions/) make me question if he gonna have a work ethic. A guard typically needs multiple 'took a leap' off seasons to go from college standout to NBA all-star.

Our rotations are a known issue, Talent/fitwise Edwards plays his best basketball starting, He was playing the second/third most minutes but on the second unit, where he was asked to be a sparkplug, which led to him taking stupid shots because i believe he felt like he "Had" to score

Now with playing more minutes next to Malik/KAT he can isolate more, Has a bit more room to pull up 3's and your seeing him grow. Rather then try to take volume shots and flat footed 3's in a bench squad which gets blown out of the park

Plus all his team mates have mentioned they love his work rate and attitude, I think people mistake his honesty and being completely open as "What about his work ethic" I have no doubt there are a lot of NBA players who dont live and breathe the sport and do it because they are really good and driven, Edwards seems to be like that.
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,059
And1: 6,628
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1206 » by scrabbarista » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:15 pm

This is my third or fourth post of the top 25 rookies in total minutes played.

Recap summary:

- nearly all rookies stink
- older rookies stink much less
- this formula is pushed a bunch by +/-, so take it with a gigantic grain of salt; it's just one perspective to add to the convo

I think it's clear Haliburton and Ball are the two best rookies right now, but this could be a springboard for other guys to at least get mentioned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 6.79 Quickley, NYK
2. 5.97 Tate, HOU
3. 5.66 Vassell, SAS
4. 5.46 Haliburton, SAC
5. 5.42 Pritchard, BOS

6. 5.26 Campazzo, DEN
7. 5.26 Ball, CHO
8. 4.78 Bane, MEM
9. 4.75 Stewart, DET
10. 3.7 McDaniels, MIN

21. -2.54 Maledon, OKC
22. -2.68 Stevens, CLE
23. -3.38 Edwards, MIN
24. -3.57 Okoro, CLE
25. -5.53 Pokusevski, OKC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the exact same formula I use for MVP. It makes much more sense when used for that purpose, because the players in contention for that award are playing many more minutes and are generally responsible for a much higher percentage of their team's overall performance. MVP's hit at least 20.0 and usually hit the mid 20's, though that seems to dropping off in recents years as stars play fewer and fewer minutes. The formula goes back to '00, and '09 James and '16 Curry are the only players to go over 30.0, at 33.4 and 31.1, respectively.

The results here (and on the MVP board) are prorated to 72 games.
khufure
Analyst
Posts: 3,541
And1: 1,160
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
Location: California
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1207 » by khufure » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:28 pm

brutalitops wrote:Plus all his team mates have mentioned they love his work rate and attitude, I think people mistake his honesty and being completely open as "What about his work ethic" I have no doubt there are a lot of NBA players who dont live and breathe the sport and do it because they are really good and driven, Edwards seems to be like that.

That's good to hear. Well you'll probably know by year 3 if you got the real thing or not. As a Bulls fan, we're in a similar situation with Patrick Williams. Kid's got talent but need to see the work ethic year 1 => year 2 improvements, and so on.
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 19,866
And1: 31,982
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1208 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 pm

Clocian wrote:Pat got his official nickname last night. "Forget the claw, let's call him the PAW!" - Stacey

Went off in the 4th, and hit the game ending shot.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter




I gotta give Bulls' management some props...everyone thought they were taking Williams almost too high when he was projected more 7+ in the draft, so far he's looking like he could prove to be a top 5 talent from this past year.

As aside not sure why but something about Markannen's fit does almost feel like the odd man out and like you guys could use a more defensive oriented PF but maybe I'm missing something there..
*** >>>>Bol Bol Bandwagon<<<< __ Lead Supporter of Michael Porter__ [/b]
Image
User avatar
Clocian
RealGM
Posts: 10,875
And1: 1,096
Joined: Nov 01, 2009
Location: Hip Hop
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1209 » by Clocian » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:21 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Clocian wrote:Pat got his official nickname last night. "Forget the claw, let's call him the PAW!" - Stacey

Went off in the 4th, and hit the game ending shot.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter




I gotta give Bulls' management some props...everyone thought they were taking Williams almost too high when he was projected more 7+ in the draft, so far he's looking like he could prove to be a top 5 talent from this past year.

As aside not sure why but something about Markannen's fit does almost feel like the odd man out and like you guys could use a more defensive oriented PF but maybe I'm missing something there..


A good number of the bulls fans feels the same. Me included. But you still have lauri fans that want him to stay. For me, he provides little defense and his offense depends on others as he cannot create. When his 3 pt shot aint hitting, it's pretty much a sign he'll end up having a bad game.

I've been a believer in The Paw since day 1. Some wanted other players in the draft, some wanted him to be ROTY right out the gate, but the goal is the long term. All he needs to do is show flashes and continue to improve in his off seasons then watch out! He's the youngest player in the league, just sit back and enjoy his development
Damn I love Hip Hop!
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 19,866
And1: 31,982
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1210 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:41 pm

Clocian wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:
Clocian wrote:Pat got his official nickname last night. "Forget the claw, let's call him the PAW!" - Stacey

Went off in the 4th, and hit the game ending shot.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter




I gotta give Bulls' management some props...everyone thought they were taking Williams almost too high when he was projected more 7+ in the draft, so far he's looking like he could prove to be a top 5 talent from this past year.

As aside not sure why but something about Markannen's fit does almost feel like the odd man out and like you guys could use a more defensive oriented PF but maybe I'm missing something there..


A good number of the bulls fans feels the same. Me included. But you still have lauri fans that want him to stay. For me, he provides little defense and his offense depends on others as he cannot create. When his 3 pt shot aint hitting, it's pretty much a sign he'll end up having a bad game.

I've been a believer in The Paw since day 1. Some wanted other players in the draft, some wanted him to be ROTY right out the gate, but the goal is the long term. All he needs to do is show flashes and continue to improve in his off seasons then watch out! He's the youngest player in the league, just sit back and enjoy his development


Sorry to derail the thread a little for the other posters lol but yeah that's what I've seen the times I've caught any Bulls' games. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I think a player more along the lines of maybe Scottie Barnes in next year's draft, a long defending PF that can push the pace with some offensive upside (maybe not as much as Lauri) would be better suited, something of Draymond, Siakam type that can help close the gaps on defense with the Paw lol could help the team overall tremendously.

As for P-Will, the potential is there. You can already see him starting to add a bit of midrange, floaters and getting to his spots (I'm assuming he does actually try to model Kawhi)...actually shocked me that he had as much to his game already that he does. If he can just learn how to keep the defense on his hip so to speak and read a defense better a la Kawhi, Tatum etc then he could be a massive steal. Won't make the assumption it will happen but again his development already has surprised me so if he can keep adding to his game, sky's the limit....I really like the Paw lol and his potential.
*** >>>>Bol Bol Bandwagon<<<< __ Lead Supporter of Michael Porter__ [/b]
Image
User avatar
islanders11040
Head Coach
Posts: 6,052
And1: 5,677
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
Location: New York
       

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1211 » by islanders11040 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 am

PhilBlackson wrote:
Clocian wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:
I gotta give Bulls' management some props...everyone thought they were taking Williams almost too high when he was projected more 7+ in the draft, so far he's looking like he could prove to be a top 5 talent from this past year.

As aside not sure why but something about Markannen's fit does almost feel like the odd man out and like you guys could use a more defensive oriented PF but maybe I'm missing something there..


A good number of the bulls fans feels the same. Me included. But you still have lauri fans that want him to stay. For me, he provides little defense and his offense depends on others as he cannot create. When his 3 pt shot aint hitting, it's pretty much a sign he'll end up having a bad game.

I've been a believer in The Paw since day 1. Some wanted other players in the draft, some wanted him to be ROTY right out the gate, but the goal is the long term. All he needs to do is show flashes and continue to improve in his off seasons then watch out! He's the youngest player in the league, just sit back and enjoy his development


Sorry to derail the thread a little for the other posters lol but yeah that's what I've seen the times I've caught any Bulls' games. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I think a player more along the lines of maybe Scottie Barnes in next year's draft, a long defending PF that can push the pace with some offensive upside (maybe not as much as Lauri) would be better suited, something of Draymond, Siakam type that can help close the gaps on defense with the Paw lol could help the team overall tremendously.

As for P-Will, the potential is there. You can already see him starting to add a bit of midrange, floaters and getting to his spots (I'm assuming he does actually try to model Kawhi)...actually shocked me that he had as much to his game already that he does. If he can just learn how to keep the defense on his hip so to speak and read a defense better a la Kawhi, Tatum etc then he could be a massive steal. Won't make the assumption it will happen but again his development already has surprised me so if he can keep adding to his game, sky's the limit....I really like the Paw lol and his potential.


You don’t think the bulls will/should develop Patrick Williams as a 4. I can see that.
DroseReturnChi
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,127
And1: 1,020
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
       

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1212 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:14 am

PhilBlackson wrote:
I gotta give Bulls' management some props...everyone thought they were taking Williams almost too high when he was projected more 7+ in the draft, so far he's looking like he could prove to be a top 5 talent from this past year.

As aside not sure why but something about Markannen's fit does almost feel like the odd man out and like you guys could use a more defensive oriented PF but maybe I'm missing something there..


Nobody should be excited they drafted a stud when hes literally getting no development.
He is basically the last option on offense getting like 5 shots per game and most of the time standing around like they did to Dirk lite potential Lauri.
AK really seems no different from garpax or is this the coach's decision? For reference, a similar prospect in Deandre Hunter stinked despite getting a lot of shots and finally showed up next yr.
God told Derrick to rise, so Derrick Rose.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 11,902
And1: 4,976
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1213 » by basketballRob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:54 pm

karkinos
Head Coach
Posts: 6,152
And1: 1,970
Joined: Nov 06, 2009

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1214 » by karkinos » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm

brutalitops
Analyst
Posts: 3,332
And1: 4,029
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1215 » by brutalitops » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:25 pm




Ban this sick Filth
DroseReturnChi
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,127
And1: 1,020
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
       

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1216 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:50 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Saddiq Bey has been really impressive, odd that he dropped as low as he did
If was starting he would be in the conversation for ROY.

It's a wierd situation thats happening in Detroit right now.


i dont think roy but nonetheless detroit hit 2 jackpots in bey and grant. They will both be all stars or at least borderline for cheap.
Pretty impressive feat considering they busted on hayes and stewart who were higher picks.
If they can clear them for a lotto in 2021 and get Cade with own, they could be back in playoffs in 2 yrs.
God told Derrick to rise, so Derrick Rose.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,425
And1: 4,481
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1217 » by zeebneeb » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:04 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Saddiq Bey has been really impressive, odd that he dropped as low as he did
If was starting he would be in the conversation for ROY.

It's a wierd situation thats happening in Detroit right now.


i dont think roy but nonetheless detroit hit 2 jackpots in bey and grant. They will both be all stars or at least borderline for cheap.
Pretty impressive feat considering they busted on hayes and stewart who were higher picks.
If they can clear them for a lotto in 2021 and get Cade with own, they could be back in playoffs in 2 yrs.
Stewart has actually played really well, and Hayes has played all of 7 games.

Bust is a strong term many would do well to stop using until it is appropriate.
brutalitops
Analyst
Posts: 3,332
And1: 4,029
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1218 » by brutalitops » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:48 am

Hayes is an international PG who is in his first season with a very odd roster on one of the worst teams in the league

Bust is a rubbish label.
User avatar
Clocian
RealGM
Posts: 10,875
And1: 1,096
Joined: Nov 01, 2009
Location: Hip Hop
     

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1219 » by Clocian » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Another double double for The Paw

Damn I love Hip Hop!
Metallikid
General Manager
Posts: 8,354
And1: 7,597
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1220 » by Metallikid » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:13 pm

I would love for Halliburton to go berserk the rest of the season and take it from Ball.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *

Return to The General Board