Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Re: Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion 

Post#1801 » by MrBigShot » Sun May 23, 2021 4:21 am

righterwriter wrote:Maybe we just keep it simple....

Ball stats on the season: 803pts, 302 rebs, 313 asts, 81 stls, 18 blks, 145 TOs, 44/35/76%

Edwards stats on the season: 1392pts, 336reb, 211asts, 82 stls, 36 blks, 160 TOs, 42/33/78%

Who did more?

Saw this post and thought I travelled 20 years into the past.

Not that I take any issue with penalizing Lamelo for playing less games, its just strange to see raw season stat totals used for anything other than those arbitrary factoids espn puts out sometimes.

Personally I think this would be a perfect season for co-RoYs. I'd give the slight edge to Ball for his season overall, despite Edwards at his best being better than any rookie.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#1802 » by righterwriter » Sun May 23, 2021 8:29 am

MrBigShot wrote:

Ball stats on the season: 803pts, 302 rebs, 313 asts, 81 stls, 18 blks, 145 TOs, 44/35/76%

Edwards stats on the season: 1392pts, 336reb, 211asts, 82 stls, 36 blks, 160 TOs, 42/33/78%

Who did more?

Not that I take any issue with penalizing Lamelo for playing less games, its just strange to see raw season stat totals used for anything other than those arbitrary factoids espn puts out sometimes.

Personally I think this would be a perfect season for co-RoYs. I'd give the slight edge to Ball for his season overall, despite Edwards at his best being better than any rookie.

Per game averages are more to get an idea of what he does in a given game, but if you aren't present to even play in that game, of course it's important. So actual production across the season should be a huge factor.

Edwards scored 600 more points than Ball and was similar in every other category while being a better defender. His team sucked, but Ball's team was at .500 in the EC with a much better roster, so it's not like they set the world on fire. Hayward proved more to be the man that made the team half-decent.

Ball had some great plays and outdid expectations of a lot of people (myself included) but he produced a lot less and Edwards got much better and was playing near All-star level by the end of the year.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#1803 » by BugginOut » Mon May 24, 2021 12:04 pm

Not a lot of rookies in the playoffs, but Obi and Quickley had some great highlight moments in their first playoff game.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#1804 » by BugginOut » Mon May 24, 2021 12:08 pm

Read on Twitter
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,407

Post#1805 » by gottamakeit » Mon May 24, 2021 6:30 pm

BugginOut wrote:
Read on Twitter

Obi Toppin will likely have his minutes cut in the next game.
Desmond Bane is another rook that is going to get playoff minutes, in his first game of playoff bball he was brilliant.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1806 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri May 28, 2021 1:09 am

righterwriter wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:

Who did more?

Per game averages are more to get an idea of what he does in a given game, but if you aren't present to even play in that game, of course it's important. So actual production across the season should be a huge factor.

Edwards scored 600 more points than Ball and was similar in every other category while being a better defender. His team sucked, but Ball's team was at .500 in the EC with a much better roster, so it's not like they set the world on fire. Hayward proved more to be the man that made the team half-decent.

Ball had some great plays and outdid expectations of a lot of people (myself included) but he produced a lot less and Edwards got much better and was playing near All-star level by the end of the year.

-the Wolves were disgusting this yr. It's understandable why they wouldn't make the playoffs but the degree to which they were bad has to factor in IMO. If we're talking about the 5th and 6th pick then I get it but at picks 1&2 one would expect you to have some effect on the record and Edward.....well he looked "talented" if that's all you're satisfied with. Actually idk what KAT was doing this yr either. At least the Hornets were fun to watch.

- when you're putting out stats like this the problem is there's nothing here that's gonna truly show the level of ease the game becomes because of Ball. The guy literally activated Miles Bridges and put him into the top 25 under 25 list, he made the game easy for everybody. The pace of the game when he's in just radically changes.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1807 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 am

BugginOut wrote:Not a lot of rookies in the playoffs, but Obi and Quickley had some great highlight moments in their first playoff game.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Probably the wrong thing to say now that we're battling but watching his highlights and Tre Youngs. You know players get together in summerleagues and whatever but I'd love it if Quickley hung out with Tre Young and see what he could soak up. I think he does some similar things in terms of scoring when he's hot, obviously without as good of ball handling and vision. I mean, Quickley can handle just enough to get his shot off but the way Tre can freeze defenders, keep his dribble and get it off when he wants while somehow seeing every corner of that floor. I was watching the highlights and for a while just focused on how he dribbles to spot that draw defender for all types of dump offs, lobs and cross court darts. It's nasty. And it's not just a blind drive and kick. Hes really crafty. Idk if he's appreciated enough in that regard.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#1808 » by righterwriter » Fri May 28, 2021 7:02 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:

-the Wolves were disgusting this yr. It's understandable why they wouldn't make the playoffs but the degree to which they were bad has to factor in IMO. If we're talking about the 5th and 6th pick then I get it but at picks 1&2 one would expect you to have some effect on the record and Edward.....well he looked "talented" if that's all you're satisfied with. Actually idk what KAT was doing this yr either. At least the Hornets were fun to watch.

- when you're putting out stats like this the problem is there's nothing here that's gonna truly show the level of ease the game becomes because of Ball. The guy literally activated Miles Bridges and put him into the top 25 under 25 list, he made the game easy for everybody. The pace of the game when he's in just radically changes.

I looked up Bridges' stats for the stretch when Melo was out. He averaged 21ppg/6.5rpg on 52%fg. Compare that to his season averages of 12.7/6/50%.

I think the issue is kind of related to your point, which is that people see Lamelo highlights and associate that with him rather than looking at the details which indicate that he's an exciting player with quite a few holes that impact the game negatively for his team.

He flashed some real ability for such a young player and he's got a lot of potential due to his size, athletic ability and vision, but there's more to basketball greatness than highlight reel plays.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#1809 » by Battletrigger » Fri May 28, 2021 8:52 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:

Well, we don't know the impact of Edwards injury in the Wolves record since he has played all the games.

But we know that Hornets has better record without Ball than with him, and you can not count the post injury games, and the record still is better without him.

The sentence that Ball impacts positively in his team record is simple a lie from the media. Those guys don't watch many games, at least, not many Wolves games and repeat sentence that sell fine that most people accept as true although clearly it's a lie.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1810 » by rzzzzz » Fri May 28, 2021 4:34 pm

Maxey’s got Sixer fans buzzing, especially as he’s starting to apply defensive moves he’s learning from Thybulle. The real question is how many minutes is Doc willing to clip off the seriously slumping Shake. You know the he is naturally averse to using rookies, especially given how little he played Tyrese during the regular season. But Maxey is showing serious progress, and the energy and playmaking skills he brings could be useful as the games start grinding more in the half court. We’ll see.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#1811 » by TunaFish » Sat May 29, 2021 12:06 am

Compazzo is starting to raise his game and the Nuggets are winning behind his play at point guard. He may be 30 but he is a rookie.
Canned in Denver.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1812 » by Klomp » Sat May 29, 2021 2:48 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:-the Wolves were disgusting this yr. It's understandable why they wouldn't make the playoffs but the degree to which they were bad has to factor in IMO. If we're talking about the 5th and 6th pick then I get it but at picks 1&2 one would expect you to have some effect on the record and Edward.....well he looked "talented" if that's all you're satisfied with. Actually idk what KAT was doing this yr either. At least the Hornets were fun to watch.

Context matters....people want to credit the entire Hornets season to Ball when in fact Gordon Hayward had a far bigger impact on the team's success. Yet conversely, people don't give Edwards the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his star missing games to injury (-.198 effect) in the way they completely ignore Ball's poor performances without Hayward (-.227 effect)

With both: 19-18 (.513)
With just Hayward: 5-2
With just Ball: 4-10 (.286)
With neither: 5-9

With both: 19-31 (.380)
With just Edwards: 4-18 (.182)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#1813 » by _AIJ_ » Sat May 29, 2021 3:21 pm

When are they going to announce the award?
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)

Return to The General Board