Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#61 » by 13th Man » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:49 am

Damn, Malachi Flynn looks to be the most NBA ready of all these cats except for maybe Maledon which I need to see more of.

Okoro reminds me a lot of OG Anunoby. Lamelo is a flashier Lonzo Ball and maybe a better rebounder since he's taller.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,236

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#62 » by amcoolio » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:59 am

Flynn looks good. He has a very nice form and gets it off quick. He is a lot like FVV.

LaMelo has too much stuff going on when he squares up for a shot, but I'm encouraged. His form isn't broken where it needs a total overhaul. It's his lower body that looks like spaghetti noodles. He definitely needs a few years in the weight room and with NBA coaches. But the star potential is there, for the first time in a long time with a Charlotte rookie.

Its clear he focused more on scoring tonight than passing. Raptors are also a tryhard defensive team so it will be interesting to see what he does to teams like Washington and Atlanta

;ab_channel=HouseofHighlights
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#63 » by Reeko » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:59 am

KembaWalker wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:the 22 year old 0 ceiling shooter scored more points in preseason than the 19 year old floor general
hard to fathom

Did everything else better than him too though. Flynn totally outplayed Melo Teodosic.

yeah totally
good thing we had Jalen McDaniels who is the same age as Flynn and was even better than him tonight. future all star!!
this forum is so stupid man lmao

McDaniels was better than Flynn? You must be trolling.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Post#64 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:07 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#65 » by HotelVitale » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 am

KembaWalker wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:the 22 year old 0 ceiling shooter scored more points in preseason than the 19 year old floor general hard to fathom
Did everything else better than him too though. Flynn totally outplayed Melo Teodosic.
yeah totally good thing we had Jalen McDaniels who is the same age as Flynn and was even better than him tonight. future all star!!
Dante Exum straight up destroyed destroyed Oladipo tonight too.

I always enjoy people getting excited about their team's rookies but it's weird that we don't learn the same stuff year after year. This isn't real NBA basketball yet, it's close but there's a lot of things missing and a lot of little things that are different, and the general attitude/approach teams take is very different (pulling out every imaginable stop to win vs f'in around with various things). That stuff might seem small but it makes for a totally different game that different people can get over in.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#66 » by basketballRob » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:18 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:air flynn better than bust lamelo confirmed.
masai keep hitting on all stars with garbage picks lmao.
Lol. Ball just turned 19.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#67 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 am

HotelVitale wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote: Did everything else better than him too though. Flynn totally outplayed Melo Teodosic.
yeah totally good thing we had Jalen McDaniels who is the same age as Flynn and was even better than him tonight. future all star!!

I always enjoy people getting excited about their team's rookies but it's weird that we don't learn the same stuff year after year. This isn't real NBA basketball yet, it's close but there's a lot of things missing and a lot of little things that are different, and the general attitude/approach teams take is very different (pulling out every imaginable stop to win vs f'in around with various things). That stuff might seem small but it makes for a totally different game that different people can get over in.

Lol we're comparing two rookies and you decide to bring up two random players.
It seems like it's you that doesn't understand the same stuff year after year.
When will you learn... Masai is the GOAT.

LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#68 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:25 am

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#69 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:52 am

As bad as Danny Ainge is at drafting, and as expected as it was, it still hurts to see so many good young players he passed on when he traded the #30 pick away. Desmond Bane looks like a real one. Woodard, Bey, Reed, Maledon, etc are all guys that could have helped the Celtics and this fraud inexplicably trades the pick away for two future 2nds? Ugh
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#70 » by righterwriter » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:57 am

Was LaMelo's -17 in 20 minutes as bad as it looks?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,236

Post#71 » by amcoolio » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:14 am

righterwriter wrote:Was LaMelo's -17 in 20 minutes as bad as it looks?

Not nearly as bad as OG Anunoby's but close!
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 938

Post#72 » by rapluva » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:18 am

KembaWalker wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:the 22 year old 0 ceiling shooter scored more points in preseason than the 19 year old floor general
hard to fathom

yeah totally
good thing we had Jalen McDaniels who is the same age as Flynn and was even better than him tonight. future all star!!
this forum is so stupid man lmao

So now you are comparing a guy to Malachi who was drafted last year..

It's pre-season.. Flynn had 5 turnovers as well, but definitely outplayed Ball. The difference here is that Malachi is playing behind both Kyle And Fred and then Terrence Davis from last year.. he may not get the minutes, he will have to earn it in regular season, but can't wait to see him go against players like Chris Paul or Westbrook.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#73 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:18 am

Okoro 15 points on 7 shots..looking the best out of the rookies so far
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,732

Post#74 » by Jadoogar » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:18 am

CelticsLV wrote:
4pointkiller wrote:LaMelo doing pretty good for a guy that can't shoot. Hope you're hungry, there's going to be a lot of crow.

In 2 games 22% from three, 20% from field. Thoroughly outplayed by Flynn in both games.

Everything seems in line. :dontknow:

Yea his passing and court vision are as advertised but his downsides have also been on display. Seems like he is performing as expected.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#75 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:36 am

Okoro looks great all around right now. I won't be surprised if hes the Cavs most impactful player this year.

Impressed by Dylan Windlers BBIQ. Smart ball movement and passing. I think he can be a nice role player. Maybe a Kuzma type guy.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#76 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:40 am

Jadoogar wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
4pointkiller wrote:LaMelo doing pretty good for a guy that can't shoot. Hope you're hungry, there's going to be a lot of crow.

In 2 games 22% from three, 20% from field. Thoroughly outplayed by Flynn in both games.

Everything seems in line. :dontknow:

Yea his passing and court vision are as advertised but his downsides have also been on display. Seems like he is performing as expected.

I think he's going to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA this season but I still think hes in the right spot to develop. He fits in nicely with the players there and the Hornets ain't do nothing this year so let him make his mistakes and grow while adding some excitement and spark. I think his passing abilities will help his teammates improve as well.

His shooting is horrific right now so he needs to focus on improving form in a big way. His elbows go all over the place and its a slow, low, ugly motion. Its never going to improve if he doesn't change it. Needs to focus on passing, defense, and taking wide open shots till he refines the proper motion.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#77 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:47 am

Yep, he sucks...
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#78 » by righterwriter » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:27 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:

Yep, he sucks...

I just watched the 9 minute highlight video on Youtube. Some jaw dropping passes and he hit a couple wide open threes, but from what I could see in the clips his defense was stunningly terrible. He was so out of position so often it's almost as if he has never played organized team defense before and the reckless steal hunting he did while leaving his man completely open lead to quite a few easy buckets.

I actually have a bit more hope after seeing him so completely lost out there, as you can't blame him for being dumb, just uneducated. If after a couple months of NBA coaching and in-game experience (if he is even playable in competitive minutes) we still don't see improvement then I'll start to worry that it's not lack of coaching but lack of willingness to learn.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#79 » by God Squad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:06 am

HotelVitale wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote: Did everything else better than him too though. Flynn totally outplayed Melo Teodosic.

Olidipo sucks though, but so does Exum so its a wash lol
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#80 » by God Squad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:10 am

LaMelo's playmaking is as advertised. His shooting and defense are also as advertised lol. It is what it is lol

Return to The General Board