Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#642 » by Mikistan » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:05 am

TheSheriff wrote:
Scoonie wrote:Payton Pritchard had 23 points and 8 assists off the bench for the Celtics tonight against the Raptors. Crafty as hell and makes good decisions with the ball in his hands.

He does not always make good decisions though.

I saw siakam studder stepping exactly like this tryin to guard Pritchard tonight
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#643 » by dc » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:05 am

It's way early, but this looks like an excellent draft class.

No ADs or Duncans to be found, but lots or really good, solid players who should be in the league a long time. It was only weak in terms of the very top guys, but even then the Top 3 guys should be pretty good building blocks even if they aren't outright franchise players.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,394

Post#644 » by baldur » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:42 am

why dont dallas play any of their rookies? thought they were one of the winners of the draft night.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#645 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:52 am

cgf wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:why are knicks fans so annoying every year

Makes four buckets, one assist, and one rebound and now he’s ROY :lol: He’s looked good for a late pick but I get amazed that no one learns from overhyping these kids off of one game. Prob because they can just disappear and not post anything if they crap out..... :noway:

That was from his 1st game back from injury; in his 2nd game back (tonight) he put up 16 pts in 19 minutes shooting 4-7 (2-3 on 3s + 6-6 FT) with 2 rebounds, an assist, a steal & a block...which is why we are excited right now.

And it's not like his shooting is some abberation.

yeah quickley is legit good. similar to Hali hard to say hes the best bc of sample size but the impact is comparable to a starter.
He would go top 10 the least and hes in that weird situation outplaying his rookie teammate Obi Bulls Gafford has been doing to White. Knicks are no joke with Thibs.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#646 » by HiRez » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:52 am

oldshoolballer wrote:Hard to judge, way to early, kids develop at different time frames
But from what I've seen here's my top 10
1 Haliburton
2 Wiseman
3 LaMelo
4 Edwards
5 Williams
6 Avdija
7 Anthony
8 Achiuwa
9 Bane
10 Pritchard

And there's a few other guys who could be good too (some injured):

Okoro
Toppin
Okongwu
S. Bey
Vassell
Pokusevski
Quickley
Bolmaro

Sneaky good draft, everyone said it was a terrible, weak draft, but early on it looks like loads of legit players in it.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#647 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:56 am

HiRez wrote:
Sneaky good draft, everyone said it was a terrible, weak draft, but early on it looks like loads of legit players in it.

still a terrible draft. 2 of the top 3 dont look like all stars and all the good role players are low first round.
edwards/ball efficiency are reaching below avg territory fg/ft/3p% they should not try to shoot so often.
In the end, top talent is what wins chips.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#648 » by HiRez » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:58 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
HiRez wrote:

still a terrible draft. 2 of the top 3 dont look like all stars and all the good role players are low first round.

You've got to be kidding me, Edwards, Wiseman, and Ball all look better than I thought they would at this point, they're doing fine. Of course they're rough around the edges but all 3 of them are going to be in the league for years.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,967

Post#649 » by Optms » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:31 am

HiRez wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
HiRez wrote:

You've got to be kidding me, Edwards, Wiseman, and Ball all look better than I thought they would at this point, they're doing fine. Of course they're rough around the edges but all 3 of them are going to be in the league for years.

Edwards needs a ton of work and Wiseman is way too raw to be apart of a winning team. The Warriors are getting by despite his deficiencies. Kerr has also gradually begun playing him less. Simply put, he's not ready, but they really don't have many other options to get big minutes.

Outside of LaMelo, none of these guys would get redrafted as top 5 picks in a regular draft. They are borderline top 10 picks. They are what we expected thus far.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#650 » by sasquatchBob » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:07 am

HiRez wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:Hard to judge, way to early, kids develop at different time frames
But from what I've seen here's my top 10
1 Haliburton
2 Wiseman
3 LaMelo
4 Edwards
5 Williams
6 Avdija
7 Anthony
8 Achiuwa
9 Bane
10 Pritchard

And there's a few other guys who could be good too (some injured):

Okoro
Toppin
Okongwu
S. Bey
Vassell
Pokusevski
Quickley
Bolmaro

I haven't seen much of Pokusevski but from what I have seen he looks pretty bad. His PER is actually negative. -3.03. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with negative PER before.
BarryLird
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#651 » by BarryLird » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:41 am

HardenToSixers wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:
I love Quickley. He got injured in game one so most NBA fans haven't seen him. Plays like a vet. Excellent shooter and decision maker. Knicks got an absolute steal at 25.

Quicksanity is coming. This board better get ready :lol:

why are knicks fans so annoying every year

Bruh, you registered your account like 5 mins ago, relax.

Our fan base is freakin' huge. What do you expect?

Carry on Knicks fans :rockon:
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,345

Post#652 » by Froob » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:57 pm

Pritchard is unreal. If he never improves, I’ll gladly take it.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#653 » by Tron Carter » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:54 pm

Read on Twitter
R.I.P Black Mamba
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,229

Post#654 » by brutalitops » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:02 pm

TheSheriff wrote:
Scoonie wrote:Payton Pritchard had 23 points and 8 assists off the bench for the Celtics tonight against the Raptors. Crafty as hell and makes good decisions with the ball in his hands.

He does not always make good decisions though.

Now im glad we passed on him, Dodged a bullet
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,211

Post#655 » by Quentin » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:37 pm

Edwards would be looking a lot better if
A. The wolves had any inside defensive/offensive presence at all.
B. They didn't make him stand in the corner off the bench. Dude never gets the ball in his hands.
C. He were on a different team. The Wolves are hexed.

I feel sorry for Edwards.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#656 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:00 pm

Very surprised how well Pritchard is doing. I didn't think his game would translate. He is looking like a high caliber, playoff ready backup PG.

I haven't seen much of Pokusevski but from what I have seen he looks pretty bad. His PER is actually negative. -3.03. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with negative PER before.

He isn't close to ready physically or mentally, but he showed flashes in preseason that were pretty unique for someone his height and age. I am still buying in on him. In years before someone his age and as raw as him would be developing for another year in Europe, but OKC was, on paper, such a poor team they figured screw it, bring him over early and get him eating. They are now better than expected and he is standing out more as the guy who gets minutes but likely should be developing from the bench.

He is going to be good. I would bet on that still. Even if he didn't improve much this entire season, I still would bet on him.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#657 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:15 pm

Presenting Malachi Flynn's 1st regular season highlight reel:

;ab_channel=NFHBall

as they say...started from the bottom...
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,229

Post#658 » by brutalitops » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:57 pm

Quentin wrote:Edwards would be looking a lot better if
A. The wolves had any inside defensive/offensive presence at all.
B. They didn't make him stand in the corner off the bench. Dude never gets the ball in his hands.
C. He were on a different team. The Wolves are hexed.

I feel sorry for Edwards.

Hurts but true.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#659 » by matt6715 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:14 pm

baldur wrote:why dont dallas play any of their rookies? thought they were one of the winners of the draft night.

Carlisle baby!!

Honestly in limited preseason minutes, Josh Green looked OK but he has a long way to go to be a real contributor. Ty Terry looked COMPLETELY overmatched physically. Tyler Bey is raw. None of these guys will crack Carlisle's top 10 rotation this year barring injury.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#660 » by matt6715 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:15 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wanted Quickley to fall to #31 so badly... he was a steal hiding in plain sight.

Return to The General Board