Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]"

Moderators: zimpy27, KingDavid, jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk

User avatar
MadDogSHWA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,765
And1: 2,946
Joined: Nov 17, 2004

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#81 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

TheHardenChoke wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I thought the NBA was supposed to be woke. Doesn't woke entail taking Covid seriously, i.e. getting vaccinated?


It includes taking covid seriously...of course.

Being woke also means using your brain and realising that vaccines take a good 10 years to develop to be safe.


Well, we can be thankful that coronavirus vaccine research started in 2002.
OG'ed up from the feet up

Image
art_tatum
Senior
Posts: 534
And1: 382
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#82 » by art_tatum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

Your body reacts to antigens all the time, and create antibodies for foreign things. It's pretty much everyday when you were a young kid. All the vaccine is doing is introducing that particular virus (partial or harmless version) so that your body can create a defense for it. Again, your body does this all the time.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
Posts: 2,597
And1: 1,588
Joined: Sep 26, 2016
   

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#83 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm

art_tatum wrote:Your body reacts to antigens all the time, and create antibodies for foreign things. It's pretty much everyday when you were a young kid. All the vaccine is doing is introducing that particular virus (partial or harmless version) so that your body can create a defense for it. Again, your body does this all the time.


That's normally how vaccines work but this vaccines is different. It doesn't actually introduce your body to the virus. It goes into your cells and then changes your cell to recognize the virus.
JN61
Analyst
Posts: 3,610
And1: 2,697
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#84 » by JN61 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Is this about Irving?
JN61
Analyst
Posts: 3,610
And1: 2,697
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#85 » by JN61 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 pm

TheHardenChoke wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I thought the NBA was supposed to be woke. Doesn't woke entail taking Covid seriously, i.e. getting vaccinated?


It includes taking covid seriously...of course.

Being woke also means using your brain and realising that vaccines take a good 10 years to develop to be safe.

If I remember right, the vaccine was done in 2 or 3 days, after that it was under extensive testing for months to make sure it is safe.
RipPizzaGuy
RealGM
Posts: 10,482
And1: 6,418
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Haberstroh says 

Post#86 » by RipPizzaGuy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm

art_tatum wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
Was the cause of death actually the vaccine or did 12 people that took the vaccine die in December? Because if it's the former, misinformation like that is why this pandemic has been increasingly difficult to manage.


Your point is valid, but it would be more reason not to take the vaccine. That the death numbers are highly exaggerated. Meanwhile the case numbers are way under reality. Meaning the death % is extremely minimal. Especially for anyone under 80.


Who says it's over reported? You feelings? Some media opinion guy? Over the hospitals that actually test and see people die?
Even if u cut the deaths in Half, that's over 1500 a day dying when they don't have to.
The vaccine is as safe as it can get. The technologies used, even the mrna version have been done before. Hell they make new flu vaccines every year that aren't "tested" long term, because strains can be different every year.


Yes as safe as it gets. Which is why the pharma companies are making sure that they have no responsibility for any harmful effects.

Mind you i'm not some anti vaxxer.
art_tatum
Senior
Posts: 534
And1: 382
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#87 » by art_tatum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
art_tatum wrote:Your body reacts to antigens all the time, and create antibodies for foreign things. It's pretty much everyday when you were a young kid. All the vaccine is doing is introducing that particular virus (partial or harmless version) so that your body can create a defense for it. Again, your body does this all the time.


That's normally how vaccines work but this vaccines is different. It doesn't actually introduce your body to the virus. It goes into your cells and then changes your cell to recognize the virus.


youre talking about the mRNA vaccine from one of the companies. That tech as been around for a few years. All it does is it brings a partial mrna of the virus into your immune cell so that it can translate it into a protein of the virus. by creating it, the cell recognizes it as an antigen and presents it to other immune cells to create antibodies. Immune cells naturally do these things, especially when it eats and breaks down a foreign protein. The vaccine just makes it more efficient. It doesn't change your DNA. DNA -> RNA ->protein. The mRNA vaccine is just like, here make some of my coded protein so you can create antibodies. And after that's made the mRNA degrades.
RipPizzaGuy
RealGM
Posts: 10,482
And1: 6,418
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#88 » by RipPizzaGuy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Kilroy wrote:My thing is this though... I think by all accounts, professional athletes are one of the least 'at-risk' demographics for dying from Covid... Why have them be the face of the Covid 19 vaccine? Why mandate it for that group in particular?

Because the works is full of conspiracy theory idiots (such as the plenty we’ve seen in this thread) and seeing high profile people get the vaccine assists with convincing people to also get the shot.

We had idiots oppose the Polio vaccine and Elvis got his live on television which significantly helped convince people to get it.

Humans don’t learn from history apparently, and we have a bunch of keyboard Warriors here trying to tell us the vaccine isn’t safe when we have thousands of people who have gone to school to research, test, and implement these types of things telling us it’s fine. I wonder who I should believe?

IMO the vaccine is a choice - however, if yoy don’t want it then you aren’t allowed to be a normal part of society. I don’t want to work beside someone who isn’t vaccinated. I don’t want my kids sitting next to unvaccinated kids at school.

If this vaccine doesn’t grant us heed immunity because some tin foil hats **** don’t get it because they’re reading misinformation or misinterpreting good information then I’ll be **** pissed. Selfish as ****.


This is exactly the type of thought we need to remove from society. We spent the last 5 years screaming my body my choice, and now you want to lock away the people who won't get a vaccine that has been created in 6 months.

Here's some more info on your polio vaccine. "Researchers began working on a polio vaccine in the 1930s, but early attempts were unsuccessful. An effective vaccine didn't come around until 1953, when Jonas Salk introduced his inactivated polio vaccine (IPV)."
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 13,075
And1: 15,323
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#89 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
bovice wrote::roll:

I don't think organizations can legally mandate the vaccine. like even hospitals can't force all employees to get it. they can incentivize it tho

Nba can do whatever the **** they want.

“Unvaccinated players put not only their teammates and opponents in danger, but the thousands of fans who attend every game. For this reason we are not allowing any player who refuses the COVID vaccination for other than medical purposes to participate in any game or team activities.”

I hope every employer does the same thing. We have to stop catering to the idiots of the world who don’t understand science.


The arrogance to think that there is an all encompassing "science". Anyone that knows anything about science knows what we know is always changing and there is no all knowing science. That approach is more religious than scientific.

Your post is funny considering anyone who knows how science works understands that. People’s main gripe with the response was the constantly changing guidelines.
Sharkboy242
Rookie
Posts: 1,083
And1: 1,341
Joined: Feb 19, 2017
   

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#90 » by Sharkboy242 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm

TheHardenChoke wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I thought the NBA was supposed to be woke. Doesn't woke entail taking Covid seriously, i.e. getting vaccinated?


It includes taking covid seriously...of course.

Being woke also means using your brain and realising that vaccines take a good 10 years to develop to be safe.

Got to love your smugness in proclaiming a vaccine takes 10 years to develop. Under certain circumstance (e.g. a global pandemic), human achievement can be expedited. I don't even have to look this up to know this is a poorly crafted talking point by people who oppose vaccines.
YFZblu
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,855
And1: 385
Joined: Apr 13, 2010

Re: Haberstroh says 

Post#91 » by YFZblu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Kilroy wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
Kilroy wrote:My wife was just showing me the VAERS (https://vaers.hhs.gov/) numbers for the vaccine...
12 people died from the vaccine in December. Those are just the people who filed a complaint with VAERS... So only the people who died had a complaint filed. There were a lot more adverse reactions than that. One doctor described being saved by an Epi-pen...
The media has incorrect data according to the government.

I would think the NBA should really look at the data before promoting anything, especially any kind of medical procedure, where an actual side effect is death.
Was the cause of death actually the vaccine, or did 12 people that took the vaccine die in December? Because if it's the former, misinformation like that is why this pandemic has been increasingly difficult to manage.


Why don't you be the judge... I didn't invent the website or the data... It's an actual Government org, set up to monitor/track vaccine effectiveness.

It's a mixed bag from what I can see, but then again, so is the lethality of COVID, but we're all told to react the same way....

The numbers are 12 deaths, 41 life threatening reactions without death, 3780 reactions that were non life threatening but with unknown long term effects.

Just info... Take it how you will...


Respectfully, this is not "info". The items listed in this post amount to a small handful of data points, with no context or expertise to frame the vast nuance that hides beneath the surface of the underlying data sets.

I caution anyone aiming to "be the judge" of a complex situation in which that person lacks expertise. Seek out medical experts and make a truly informed decision.
NotAKnicksFan
Ballboy
Posts: 4
And1: 6
Joined: Mar 05, 2020
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#92 » by NotAKnicksFan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am

I work at Pfizer at the NYC Headquarters, i actually signed up realgm with my pfizer email. I think the Pfizer Vaccine is very safe. Im not a scientist, i work in the digital field. but there will always be fear articles written about there vaccine, and the reason the vaccine was developed quicker the other vaccine is because of the revolutionary technology, MRNA. times change and science gets better, fyi there have been over 1 million people vaccinated with Pfizer/Biontechs vaccine, between UK/Europe and USA. much more than 1 million actually and plus the trial with over 40,000 people half which were placebo. and the death rate is low, i know someone here posted 12 deaths. lets just say thats true, 12 deaths out of over 1 million people vaccinated. thats bad? people literally die of everything as his been pointed out on here.
Metallikid
Head Coach
Posts: 6,986
And1: 6,441
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#93 » by Metallikid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I would think the NBA should really look at the data before promoting anything, especially any kind of medical procedure, where an actual side effect is death.


16,500 people die per year from ibuprofen. Over 30K people die every year from auto crashes. Medical error, primarily during surgery, kills 250K people per year.

Lets not let athletes take pain medication, not let them drive to games and if they suffer a catastrophic injury, dissuade them from medical surgery. Sure, their career will be over, but there is a chance they die during surgery.

Not taking the vaccine is nonsense. Any player who refuses to take it should be disqualified from playing until they do, and should not get paid.


I am sorry if the mods don't like this comment but I keep seeing this mentality all over (and the mods keep doing nothing about it) and I feel obligated as someone with a history degree (being, you know, someone with expertise for the people who care about that sort of thing) to point out that it is a disgusting, hypocritical, authoritarian stance to say we should individualize and blame healthy people who don't want to take a rushed vaccine for a disease they are not among the vulnerable populations for or else they be made into 2nd class citizens. Everyone calling for **** like this would have been A-Okay putting Japanese-Americans into Internment Camps.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
MrGrim
Sophomore
Posts: 230
And1: 220
Joined: Aug 08, 2016
     

Re: Haberstroh says 

Post#94 » by MrGrim » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 am

ConSarnit wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
Can you link to the death statistics? I can’t find them on that site. It seems odd to me that zero media has reported the 12 deaths if the info is so publicly available. Seems like that would be very difficult to bury.

It seems like the adverse reactions are largely from the Pfizer vaccine, so perhaps the other vaccines would be a better option.


You have to accept the disclaimer and download either the CDC or the VAERS data (or both)... I can't point you directly to it. You have to download it and sift through it yourself. It's a lot.. I think like 300pgs...


So based on what I can see (using their filters: COVID VACCINE > DEATHS) there are 10 reported deaths, all over the age of 60. It's difficult to parse this information.

10,200,000 have received the vaccine in the US
1,080,000 of those have been to LTC residents

I'd say we can assume over 1mil 60+ year olds have received the vaccine (at least). 10 people have died after the vaccine but it doesn't say whether they died 6 hours after the vaccine or 12 days after. I guess my question is: how many of the 60+ who were vaccinated would have died regardless during that time period? They are providing correlating numbers but not causation.

Generally, it would seem like if you are under 60 and have no history of anaphylaxis there is very low/no risk in taking the vaccine (so far).


There is a separate search engine you can go to that makes searching the dataset pretty easy. And yeah, of those ten people who died, all but one were well over eighty and had other potentially fatal medical conditions. In one of the reports the staff even mentioned that they didn't think the patient would survive for longer than a couple of days regardless of the vaccine. The one 63 year old also seemed to have an extremely complicated medical history. In other words, these patients could have died from a reaction to the vaccine, or they could have died from their medical conditions. It may seem odd to give a vaccine to such a medical compromised group, but consider that COVID kills people over 80 and people with pre-existing medical conditions at a much more frequent rate.

Also, to even get to these datasets, you have to click through two disclaimers that state the following:

VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to VAERS. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. Most reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

The strengths of VAERS are that it is national in scope and can quickly provide an early warning of a safety problem with a vaccine. As part of CDC and FDA's multi-system approach to post-licensure vaccine safety monitoring, VAERS is designed to rapidly detect unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse events, also known as "safety signals." If a safety signal is found in VAERS, further studies can be done in safety systems such as the CDC's Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) or the Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment (CISA) project. These systems do not have the same limitations as VAERS, and can better assess health risks and possible connections between adverse events and a vaccine.


So basically just because there is a report of someone who took one of the COVID vaccines dying after they took it, that doesn't mean they died because of the COVID vaccine. The database is basically an early warning system for scientists to look for patterns that they might need to investigate further. You can bet that all of those 10 reports will be followed-up, but the results won't appear in the database.
User avatar
GrandTheftRondo
Head Coach
Posts: 6,692
And1: 5,497
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#95 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:31 am

Kilroy wrote:My thing is this though... I think by all accounts, professional athletes are one of the least 'at-risk' demographics for dying from Covid... Why have them be the face of the Covid 19 vaccine? Why mandate it for that group in particular?

Well sure they can avoid having it and then not play basketball. That is probably how it will work.

You seriously can’t understand why the NBA would want their players having it?

Unless the NBA and the players want to constantly sit out 10-14 days anytime they come near a positive case then it’s pretty obvious that the vaccine will be a must.
sikma42
Analyst
Posts: 3,385
And1: 2,506
Joined: Nov 23, 2011

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#96 » by sikma42 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Kilroy wrote:My thing is this though... I think by all accounts, professional athletes are one of the least 'at-risk' demographics for dying from Covid... Why have them be the face of the Covid 19 vaccine? Why mandate it for that group in particular?

Well sure they can avoid having it and then not play basketball. That is probably how it will work.

You seriously can’t understand why the NBA would want their players having it?

Unless the NBA and the players want to constantly sit out 10-14 days anytime they come near a positive case then it’s pretty obvious that the vaccine will be a must.
There is no data on how the vaccines effect transmission. So after the vaccination , what changes? They're at almost no risk..with a vaccine, there is no material change to that population.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
mastermixer
Pro Prospect
Posts: 953
And1: 1,142
Joined: Oct 29, 2012
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#97 » by mastermixer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:46 am

NotAKnicksFan wrote:I work at Pfizer at the NYC Headquarters, i actually signed up realgm with my pfizer email. I think the Pfizer Vaccine is very safe. Im not a scientist, i work in the digital field. but there will always be fear articles written about there vaccine, and the reason the vaccine was developed quicker the other vaccine is because of the revolutionary technology, MRNA. times change and science gets better, fyi there have been over 1 million people vaccinated with Pfizer/Biontechs vaccine, between UK/Europe and USA. much more than 1 million actually and plus the trial with over 40,000 people half which were placebo. and the death rate is low, i know someone here posted 12 deaths. lets just say thats true, 12 deaths out of over 1 million people vaccinated. thats bad? people literally die of everything as his been pointed out on here.



Well consider 92% of covid deaths are among the age group of 55 or older.

That means only 8% of of covid deaths are among those younger than 55 years old.

In the us we are currently only vaccinating “front line/ essential workers”. How old would you guess these people are? I’d wager 90% of the people we have vaccinated so far are younger than 55 years old.

So we’re vaccinating young/healthy people for a virus that doesn’t really affect young and healthy people. So of course it seems safe, these people are young and healthy with strong immune systems anyways.

How many times have you heard from your social circle “I’m not worried about getting covid myself, I just don’t want to spread it to XYZ and be responsible for their death...”

So hard to draw much of a conclusion from the vaccine so far.
Asianiac_24
Head Coach
Posts: 6,348
And1: 1,541
Joined: Jul 28, 2008
Contact:
   

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#98 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 am

Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:Crazy that individuals on are on board with forcing perfectly healthy people to take an experimental vaccine that was just made a few months ago, when most vaccines take almost a decade at the minimum at least to develop. On top of that the government provides legal immunity to vaccine companies, so you can’t sue if something goes wrong.

Kilroy posts real government info stats on the Vaccine and you have people attacking him because it’s “Dangerous”

If you’re scared or at risk, you take the vaccine. Leave people to make their own decisions.


Normal vaccines take much longer, but this one is different. The economic and social impact is like no other. Magnitudes of more funding was available for this vaccine. It was not rushed, no company would risk releasing a vaccine that could kill people knowing that this vaccine is going to be distributed to millions, if not billions of people. The company would die if that happens.
User avatar
HollowEarth
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,534
And1: 1,465
Joined: Feb 19, 2017
 

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#99 » by HollowEarth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 am

Kilroy wrote:My wife was just showing me the VAERS (https://vaers.hhs.gov/) numbers for the vaccine...
12 people died from the vaccine in December. Those are just the people who filed a complaint with VAERS... So only the people who died had a complaint filed. There were a lot more adverse reactions than that. One doctor described being saved by an Epi-pen...
The media has incorrect data according to the government.

I would think the NBA should really look at the data before promoting anything, especially any kind of medical procedure, where an actual side effect is death.
This is false:

Vice President Pence on vaccine safety:
"We gather here today at the end of a historic week to affirm to the American people that hope is on the way," he told the crowd, after the number of newly recorded US coronavirus deaths surpassed 3,000 for the third day in a row.

"Karen and I were more than happy to step forward before this week was out to take this safe and effective coronavirus vaccine that we have secured and produced for the American people," he continued, calling it "a truly inspiring day".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55362697

Dr. Anthony Fauci on vaccine safety:
“The speed was not at all at the sacrifice of safety. The speed was the reflection of extraordinary advances in the science of vaccine platform technology,” Fauci told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-12-15-20/h_31953e147b30b137b80292ae353eb42b
User avatar
HollowEarth
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,534
And1: 1,465
Joined: Feb 19, 2017
 

Re: Haberstroh says 

Post#100 » by HollowEarth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:29 am

Karate Diop wrote:
jg77 wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
Was the cause of death actually the vaccine or did 12 people that took the vaccine die in December? Because if it's the former, misinformation like that is why this pandemic has been increasingly difficult to manage.


Is every reported covid death from covid or is it something else that killed them? Because if it's the latter, misinformation like that is why people are skeptical over this pandemic. Just playing devil's advocate here


The reported deaths from COVID are understated because of this very reason... Many individuals who have passed away due to a complication from COVID were not classified as COVID deaths as certain local governments manipulated data to appease their overlord.

(Similarly there have been a number of additional deaths this year resulting from a shortage of medical resources - caused by the influx of COVID cases - which again have largely gone unaccounted for...)

TLDR - The death toll caused by COVID is larger than what is being reported. All science, facts and logic prove this out.
Just adding a source that supports this:
“In this cohort study, the number of deaths due to any cause increased by approximately 122,000 from March 1 to May 30, 2020, which is 28% higher than the reported number of COVID-19 deaths,”
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200703/Official-UStallies-likely-undercount-COVID-19-deaths.aspx

Return to The General Board