OFFENSIVELY: Irving/Harden/Durant vs Past Combos

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Re: OFFENSIVELY: Irving/Harden/Durant vs Past Combos 

Post#21 » by Dr Aki » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 pm

Someone or two are gonna need to sacrifice and learn how to be effective off ball.

Other than that, Harden and Durant can bring the defence when they need to, but probably not during the regular season.

They'd be unstoppable in the Triangle (good Triangle offenses will limit long rebounds and thus limit transition opportunities for the opposition), but somehow I doubt Nash and D'Antoni will go that route
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#22 » by IgorK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 pm

Statlanta wrote:Kyrie is not a great finisher or playmaker. KD is not a great post player or screener.

They have no chemistry together.

That alone puts them at the bottom of established historic trios.

;ab_channel=CutawayGuy
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#23 » by blueNorange » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:30 pm

unless harden or durant are okay with being the 3rd banana, everyone knows it won't be kyrie.

he's the only guy that can tank this.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,894

Post#24 » by theforumblue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 pm

harden/KD can work things out i think, provided harden play little more playmaker. kyrie is the odd fit. IF kyrie can curb his ego...who knows.

i'd still rather have Curry/KD/Klay, Kobe/Shaq/Whoever, Lebron/Wade/Bosh, Magic teams, Bird teams..
screw these absolute garbage refs
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,491

Post#25 » by Pelly24 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:34 pm

I think this is the best offensive trio ever, and by a good margin. These guys are the three best one-on-one players in the game and they are all elite shooters on or off the dribble. Kyrie and KD are really the two most complete three-level scorers I've ever seen. Harden is the best pure regular season scorer in recent memory. They can all play on or off ball. Kyrie and Harden have the best one-on-one shot-creating ability in the league compared to Klay and Steph. Steph is above average but not elite in the same all-around way. Klay..I'm not sure I've ever seen him dribble more than four times.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,491

Post#26 » by Pelly24 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:35 pm

I really don't think there's all that much to figure out. KD and Kyrie looked incredibly seamless together.

Harden I think is someone who you have to let dominate the ball a little bit, but really a your-turn, my-turn, his-turn offense could work really well here.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#27 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm

picc wrote:Obviously we wont know for sure until they play. But since the best thing realgm does is speculate hot takes, how do they stack up vs

Curry/Klay/Durant/Green

Wade/Lebron/Bosh

Magic/Worthy/Kareem

Bird/McHale/Walton

And so on, etc.

Immediately, there are more diminishing returns with three perimeter players.

But how do you think they stack up offensively to all these combos (and whatever others you can think of.

the comparisons are not reasonable.

the gsw group had one enabler and three low usage scorers.
kareem got the ball when he needed it but magic was an enabler to both.
walton came off the bench.
wade and bosh acquiesced to lebron

with the nets you have three scorers with no backseat player, so when you ask about "combos", do you mean totalling the stats as a lump sum. do you mean will it work, will they mesh. i think it works if they trade kyrie,,,,is what i think
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,765

Post#28 » by picc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm

Lalouie wrote:
picc wrote:Obviously we wont know for sure until they play. But since the best thing realgm does is speculate hot takes, how do they stack up vs

Curry/Klay/Durant/Green

Wade/Lebron/Bosh

Magic/Worthy/Kareem

Bird/McHale/Walton

And so on, etc.

Immediately, there are more diminishing returns with three perimeter players.

But how do you think they stack up offensively to all these combos (and whatever others you can think of.

the comparisons are not reasonable.

the gsw group had one enabler and three low usage scorers.
kareem got the ball when he needed it but magic was an enabler to both.
walton came off the bench.
wade and bosh acquiesced to lebron

with the nets you have three scorers with no backseat player, so when you ask about "combos", do you mean totalling the stats as a lump sum. do you mean will it work, will they mesh. i think it works if they trade kyrie,,,,is what i think

I dont know man. Whatever you see it as. We're just talking.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,422

Post#29 » by picko » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm

It's hard to go past Curry / Durant / Klay in terms of fit. They fit perfectly together.

There might be more absolute talent in Durant / Harden / Kyrie but the fit probably won't as good.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#30 » by Tha King » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm

This is arguably the most talented offensive trio. If there was a list for the five most skilled players in the NBA, I am sure KD/Harden/Irving would be on most lists (all three at the top on some lists). Just looking at the top two, KD and Harden are two of the best scorers in NBA history.

For some reason their iso scoring abilities is viewed as a negative when: 1) individual shot creation is incredibly important in the playoffs; 2) they can all shoot at a very high level and compliment each other even off-ball.
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,790

Post#31 » by Lenneth » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:49 pm

Reminds me of Barkely-Pippen-Hakeem tbh. I am just wondering how the other two will make them useful when one is doing ISO.

Return to The General Board