Luka Doncic has officially entered the MVP race

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LukaV
Senior
And1: 687

Re: Luka Doncic has officially entered the MVP race 

Post#241 » by LukaV » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:19 pm

I hope we get the general MVP thread soon so all this can be grouped together in one neat thread.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,931

Post#242 » by BelgradeNugget » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Archx wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
Some smartguy wrote:Jesus Christ LMAO. Some people man...

If I understood correctly he was talking about players averaging 28+ ppg, so when he said Jokic is close he meant Jokic is close to the 28 ppg. If I'm correct he wasn't compering two. So it is OK

Exactly. THANK YOU. :D

Texas Chuck wrote:Yeah I have no idea what Arch is on about. He literally brought Jokic into the conversation and then got mad when people talked about Jokic. And frankly if there is a thread about a player being an MVP candidate it sure seems like all other MVP candidates are relevant regardless of how similar or not their stat lines are.

I asked BelgradeNugget one quick question then i explained myself to him, i have no clue why the other "smart guy" joined the discussion and complicated it further. Like BelgradeNugget said, i wasn't even comparing players.

Unfortunately I didn't understand what you meant at first, and I'm not the only one - "Some smartguy" and "Texas Chuck" didn't understood you either. So now when we are clear let the discussion continue on Luka's great season.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#243 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:15 pm

TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Can you stop lying? For just 5 minutes, maybe?

A. I never said Luka was the best player in the NBA. I said over the past 6 games he has been. You still haven't refuted that.

B. I never said he was elite three-point shooter. I said he is shooting 38% (on large volume) over the past 6. That's a fact.

C. You said he is "worse than last year," even though his BPM is better, defensive numbers are better, and he's clearly on an upward trajectory.

D. You can be, because Luka is. He's top 5 in VORP and BPM. He's also posting elite midrange shooting numbers, btw. 46% on 10-16 and 77% on long twos.

Hilarious that you're accusing me of "lying" when you can't even seem to understand what I wrote.

I said "meanwhile hes still a terrible 3 point shooter, and looks even worse than last year. "

Clearly I was talking about his 3 point shooting looking worse, not his overall play. Why else would I include the world "meanwhile"?

Not that hard to follow along :lol:

You might want to brush up on your grammar and synthax. Your comma and wording implies a separate thought. It doesn't make sense to say he's still a terrible three point shooter AND even worse than last year.

Glad you chose to ignore the other points, though.

It was literally part of the exact same sentence! Obviously it was in relation to the same point.

I don't need a lecture on grammar from you though. If you knew my credentials in real life this wouldn't be a conversation.

Quick Hint: The word meanwhile usually indicates the start of a separate thought.
User_friendly
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Post#244 » by User_friendly » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Hilarious that you're accusing me of "lying" when you can't even seem to understand what I wrote.

I said "meanwhile hes still a terrible 3 point shooter, and looks even worse than last year. "

Clearly I was talking about his 3 point shooting looking worse, not his overall play. Why else would I include the world "meanwhile"?

Not that hard to follow along :lol:

You might want to brush up on your grammar and synthax. Your comma and wording implies a separate thought. It doesn't make sense to say he's still a terrible three point shooter AND even worse than last year.

It was literally part of the exact same sentence! Obviously it was in relation to the same point.

I don't need a lecture on grammar from you though. If you knew my credentials in real life this wouldn't be a conversation.

Quick Hint: The word meanwhile usually indicates the start of a separate thought.

I think that you are right about the grammar part.
But I'm sure your credentials don't backup too much about objectivity or collecting decent samples in order to analyze data
Hints: "terrible 3 point shooter", "looks even worse than last year"
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#245 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:38 am

User_friendly wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:

I think that you are right about the grammar part.
But I'm sure your credentials don't backup too much about objectivity or collecting decent samples in order to analyze data
Hints: "terrible 3 point shooter", "looks even worse than last year"

31% for a guard isn't terrible? That basically what Giannis shoots. Its slightly below 30% this year.
LoneyROY
Veteran
And1: 2,972

Post#246 » by LoneyROY » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:28 am

So I'm curious if Luka looked like the best player in the NBA tonight...
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,399

Post#247 » by Mavrelous » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:30 am

No he didn't, scratch his name from MVP candidates, real MVPs have no off nights...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
jaybiddyforeal
Rookie
And1: 1,327

Post#248 » by jaybiddyforeal » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:31 am

LoneyROY wrote:So I'm curious if Luka looked like the best player in the NBA tonight...

He was the third best player in his game tonight.
LoneyROY
Veteran
And1: 2,972

Post#249 » by LoneyROY » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:34 am

KhalilS wrote:No he didn't, scratch his name from MVP candidates, real MVPs have no off nights...

I was told using 6 games stretches can determine someone looking like the best player in the NBA, so sample sizes aren't necessary apparently.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#250 » by Openheimer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 am

He is a very good player but he is still nowhere near top 5 Or mvp
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#251 » by MemphisX » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:17 am

Grand opening, Grand closing...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Walmart
Starter
And1: 1,318

Post#252 » by Walmart » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 am

Nope, too lousy of a record at this point.
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#253 » by GeorgeGervin » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 am

Openheimer wrote:He is a very good player but he is still nowhere near top 5 Or mvp

I would be curious to see what players you clearly put ahead of him right now.
Not saying he's the best player in the league but I don't see how he is "nowhere near top 5".
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,253

Post#254 » by pr0wler » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:12 am

I thought Luka was better than Harden though, according to RealGM poll...? :lol:
Openheimer
Sixth Man

Post#255 » by Openheimer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:14 am

GeorgeGervin wrote:
Openheimer wrote:He is a very good player but he is still nowhere near top 5 Or mvp

Not saying he's the best player in the league but I don't see how he is "nowhere near top 5".

Lebron
Durant
AD
Harden
Kawhi
Giannis

Are all better then I can make a case for Curry but I think Luka has passed him. Embiid is probably on his level of not better then he is
Openheimer
Sixth Man

Post#256 » by Openheimer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am

:evil:
pr0wler wrote:I thought Luka was better than Harden though, according to RealGM poll...? :lol:

They saw harden when he was tanking and came to that conclusion. Harden is better when he is at his normal level
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#257 » by Archx » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:25 am

Some people are really trying too hard with the overractions after one lousy game. It's hillarious :lol: :lol:
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#258 » by urgal » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am

Openheimer wrote:
GeorgeGervin wrote:

Lebron
Durant
AD
Harden
Kawhi
Giannis

Are all better then I can make a case for Curry but I think Luka has passed him. Embiid is probably on his level of not better then he is

So he's "nowhere near top 5" yet you can barely come up with 6-7 players that are better than him. Kinda contradicts itself.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Post#259 » by Wagonband » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am

Omg guy on back a back to back game when last game was forced to play with James Johnson as the third best player was held at 15/9/7 when the entire gameplan of Toronto was to throw everything at him and let others beat you.

I'm afraid it's so simple to win vs Dallas as long as they don't have so many rotation players... You just throw the kitchen sink at Luka, and nobody will punish you. Hardaway went like 0/12, KP was solid, but that's it. Seems like if the ball is out of the hands of the point guards they just lose it for not reason whatsoever.

I really hope they get back to full strenght. And if they get another creator on the team, i'm sure Luka will be top 3 in MVP votes by the end of the year, since teams won't be able to double him every play
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#260 » by leolozon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 am

Wagonband wrote:Omg guy on back a back to back game when last game was forced to play with James Johnson as the third best player was held at 15/9/7 when the entire gameplan of Toronto was to throw everything at him and let others beat you.

I'm afraid it's so simple to win vs Dallas as long as they don't have so many rotation players... You just throw the kitchen sink at Luka, and nobody will punish you. Hardaway went like 0/12, KP was solid, but that's it. Seems like if the ball is out of the hands of the point guards they just lose it for not reason whatsoever.

I really hope they get back to full strenght. And if they get another creator on the team, i'm sure Luka will be top 3 in MVP votes by the end of the year, since teams won't be able to double him every play

Honestly the backlash in this thread is really funny, considering that they probably criticize Doncic for dominating the ball too much. But when he plays passively, keeps passing out of the double team and let his teammates do their things, it's still a problem.

Doncic was way too passive last game and the team around him was abysmal with poor shooting and bad TOs after bad TOs. That game only helps the case that they need Doncic to dominate the ball. Someone else has to be able to step up if he's doubled team, because he made some nice passes, but guys weren't hitting.

Return to The General Board